Chapter 08

Beauty and the Geek - Life Together

It is our second day of our holiday at the village. Yesterday we practically spent most of the time in our little wooden house sleeping, hugging, kissing and taking a bath (together). Luckily the landlord offered us dinner otherwise I would have no idea how long it’ll take us to cook a decent dinner.

I woke up with Krystal still sleeping, I gently place her head on the pillow so that I could stretch my back.

Ouch! Back pain.

I grab my phone checking the time it’s only 6:00am. I saw a new text message I got and read it. It was from Jonghyun asking me to hook up another date with Krystal. I sighed and just throw my phone away ignoring his message.

I never slept on futons before so obviously I wasn’t comfortable with it but luckily I had Krystal in my arms, at least what I was hugging onto was comfortable. Feeling the chilly morning breeze I immediately grabbed my thick black jacket and put it on. I walk out of the house and in the kitchen I grabbed a small bucket ready to carry some water back here. Since it’s an old village not every house has a water tap so the tap water is public use. I hugged myself hoping to keep my body warmth inside while walking to the water tap, on the way I kept getting waves from the friendly elders. I carried back a bucket of water which is enough to wash our faces. As I settle the bucket of water I heard the door creak open and in came the old lady from yesterday, our landlord.

“Omoni good morning.” I bowed to the old lady.

“Young man you’re up early. Where’s your girlfriend?” The old lady had her usual smiling face. The look of the old lady is like she’s seeing her own grandson.

“Yes, she’s still sleeping.” I reply back politely.

“Ah these are for you and your pretty girlfriend for breakfast.” She handed me boxes what seem to be food inside.

“…Thank you… You don’t have to bring them.”

“It’s okay. Cooking at such a place is very troublesome if you don’t mind we can provide you breakfast and dinner until you two leave.”

“Ah that would be very nice. Actually neither of us knows how the stove works.” I shyly said.

After a little chat the old lady left and I took the breakfast inside our little house and place it on the small wooden table. I hover back to our sleeping area and see Krystal still asleep. I lightly brush the strains of hair and tuck them behind her ear.

Why are you so pretty?

I just kept staring until she starts waking up.

“Morning.” I said with a smile.

“Morning.” She pulls herself up and hugged me letting her head rest comfortably on my chest.

“Our landlord brought us breakfast this morning and she said she can provide us breakfast and dinner until we leave.” I her hair as the girl tries to fall back asleep.

“How nice. We don’t have to cook then.”

“So go wash up and we’ll visit around the place.” I grab onto her arm and pull her up.

The pushing and pulling between the two of us probably lasted for a few minutes before Krystal finally got out of the cozy area. We ate breakfast together, got change and we rode the bike off to places nearby.

While riding the bike I paddle it slowly so that we can view the scenery. Krystal hugged me tightly behind swinging her legs back and forth. The scene we passed was like pictures, when we ride pass the villagers who is farming we waved at them and they waved back. We end up riding to the market since we’re both hungry. We held hands and walk around the market eating and shopping. Although it’s not anything we’re interested at in the shops but just the feeling of us holding hands is amazing.

The next day we offered to help out landlord’s farm as a thank you for providing us breakfast and dinner. We experienced the life of a farmer; picking fruits, harvesting and Krystal even tried driving the tractor. There were so many unforgettable memories.

Time flies and it’s the last day already. Both of us thought we should relax and just ride the bike nearby. We end up riding to the hill side and just sit there looking at the beautiful scenery. We both stared silently at the view. All I had in my mind was the thing I’m supposed to talk to Krystal and right now is the perfect time.

“Krystal…it’s amazing how we’re so different but we end up being together.” I suddenly spoke and the girl lifts her head that she was laying on my shoulder.

“I know.” She smiled.

“Have you ever thought about our future?”

She went silent and from the look I knew she didn’t thought about it. Well I never thought about it too until recently.

I don’t know why I feel so insecure about our relationship it feels like dating Krystal Jung is unreal and impossible. Maybe it’s because all along we’ve been hiding our relationship from everyone.

“…I want to reveal our relationship.” I know Krystal may not like this idea but I just need to tell her again.

“Amber…we talked about this before…” Krystal frowned.

“I know…but I can’t stand it anymore. I want to hold your hand out in the public, I want to hug you out in the public, I want to kiss you out in the public and most importantly I want to spend time with you out in the public.” I said it in one breath, everything that I wanted to say.

“We’re moving to different dorms once school starts and there won’t be any time for us to be together alone.” I added.

 A few minutes of silent until Krystal spoke.

“Amber…sorry but…I’m not ready to take our relationship to the public.” I could see Krystal with apologetic eyes. My heart sank when I heard her words.

That’s right. There’s nothing good about telling the world that Krystal Jung is dating a nerd.

We stayed silent, neither both of us said a word. I had all sort of different thoughts running through in my head and I’m sure Krystal is feeling the same. When it was getting late I rode the bike back, silent still fill us up and we separately pack our belongings. The entire bus trip back we stayed silent, neither of us want to sleep even though it’ll take 3 hours. There were just so many things going through our heads.

When we hop off the bus at our stop, the first word we said to each other after hours was ‘bye’. We simply bid each other goodbye, no hug or kisses, just a simple word and we both parted the opposite way.

I guess this is it. Goodbye Krystal.

I could feel tears building up. I wanted to cry so much.