Goodbye

Because I Love You

Joy was peeling an apple for Irene when the older told her something.

" Sooyoung-ah, I got a donor already. " said Irene, smiling.

Joy's face lightened up as soon as she heard that.

" Really? That's good, right? You don't have to worry about it anymore.. "

Irene nodded.

" Yes, it's a relief that someone is willing to donate her heart to a complete stranger like me. But.. " Irene voice trailed off.

Joy put down the knife and the fruit back on the table, shifting the chair closer to Irene's bed.

" Why? Is there something wrong? " asked Joy, caressing Irene's hands.

Irene sighed, " I have this uneasy feeling about this. About the donor. The doctor won't tell me anything about her and even doesn't let me to meet the family. I want to meet them because I feel like the donor would be... someone that I know. I just want to ensure that.. "

Something clicked in Joy's mind.

Could it be that.... Wendy unnie is the donor...?

" But... maybe it's just my feelings. I'm happy. Beyond happy. If the operation succeed, I can be with Wendy again. She promised me she won't leave me. And we can be together like before.. "

Irene's eyes shone in joy.

Joy curved a small smile when Irene looked at her, but her mind was full of " what ifs ".

What if Wendy is the donor?

What if Irene only knew that Wendy is the one who donates her heart to her after the operation ends?

What if Irene knew Wendy ; the love of her life, the beats to her heart, the spirit to her soul, was dying?

What if Irene couldn't accept when Wendy gone..?

Irene's giggles broke the train of her thoughts as the older asked her to feed the apple cutely. Joy shook her head, laughing as she continued to peel the fruit.

Let's just hope for the best....

 

*

The door creaked open, revealing a pale face Wendy and Seulgi with her quite obvious swollen eyes. Wendy uttered a quiet " Oh " when she saw Irene was sleeping soundly. Joy got up from her seat when Wendy called her over.

" Are you okay? " asked Joy worriedly.

Wendy nodded and smiled, she grabbed the youngest's hand lightly and closed the door, leaving Irene alone in the room.

" Come with me for awhile. I have something to say to both of you.. " said Wendy as she dragged them to the rooftop.

Joy looked at Seulgi, hoping for an answer but the older just smiled, a sad one.

*

Wendy held both Seulgi and Joy's hands in her grasp, gripping on them tightly.

" I'm sorry. "

She looked at her friends before continuing, " I'm sorry that our situation is messed up like this. Honestly.. I don't know what to do anymore. I keep hoping that God would make me live, but at the same time I realised there's a reason behind this. For Irene.. "

Joy gasped.

" Wait, don't tell me you're Irene's donor!? "

" Yes, I am. " Wendy flashed a small smile.

" But wha- why..? " stuttered Joy as her eyes brimmed with tears.

Wendy reached out and wiped the tears, " I want Irene to live for us, for you and Seulgi. I can't take care of you anymore after this, but Irene will. "

The youngest shook her head, covering her ears.

" No, No. I don't want to hear any of this anymore...! You'll live, and Irene will survive! "

" Sooyoung, my condition is getting worst. I don't think I can handle it if the pain strikes again. So, when I still have this little time, I want to say proper goodbye to you. I don't have any slight chance to survive this, neither do Irene if she doesn't do the operation as soon as possible. I can die anytime soon, but Irene needs to live, might as well I do something for her. "

Joy got up, her face went red with tears streamed down her face.

" YOU AREN'T DYING..! NOT IRENE ALSO! STOP, STOP THISS..! "

" Sooyoung.... Calm down.. " Seulgi tried to persuade the youngest.

" Why, why is this happening?! We were so happy before, why must- why should- it turns out like this..... Why...? "

Wendy immediately pulled her into a tight hug and caressed her back, soothing her cries. Seulgi went to backhug the crying girl, resting her head on Joy's shaking back. Without her knowing, tears flowed down again.

" I- I don't know but- " Wendy choke on her own tears, " this might be our last time together. I don't know if I'm still breathing the next day. I can go anytime, anywhere, so please, Sooyoung-ah... Don't be like this. When I'm gone, don't mourn over me, you have to keep going. "

Joy wrapped her arms around Wendy's waist, bringing her closer as she sobbed hard on the older's shoulder.

" I- I don't want to lose you.... unnie.. "

Wendy gripped on Joy's shirt, feeling heavy and suffocated with tears and sadness.

" You won't.. I will watch over you, Seulgi and Irene from above.. I'll still be with you. My soul will still be here. "

Joy didn't answer but she just nodded, burying her face on Wendy's neck. Her hold around the older was strong, as if Wendy would go if she ever let her go. Wendy's hand roamed around to find Seulgi's hands and entwined their hands when she got them. Seulgi grasped on them tightly. Her face still buried on Joy's back.

" Seul... " Wendy called.

Seulgi just mummed her answer.

" Take care of them for me. It would be tough when Irene knew about this, and I hope you'll be there for her. She might be stubborn, but if you talk it out with her, heart to heart, she would eventually accept it. Don't let her drown in sadness. Tell her words that I can't say to her now. Just... be with her. For me. Can you promise that, Seul? "

" I- I will... " answered Seulgi faintly.

Wendy smiled, even though Seulgi and Joy didn't look at her at the moment.

" Thank you, I know I can rely on both of you. You are my family, my sisters. And words can't express how much I love you, how much I appreciate you for being around me, how much I treasure our bond. Just so you know, I love you. I really love you guys. Goodbye, Seul. Goodbye, Sooyoung. "

Wendy gave them one last tight hug, wiping their tears away, and kissed their cheeks tenderly as she said ; " Live well. Live for our dreams and hopes that we built together. "

*

Seulgi smiled, " There you go. You look nice. "

 Irene looked at her own reflection on the small mirror on the table, smiling when looking at her light make-up face, instead of her pale look. She didn't know why but as soon as these two came into the room, waking her up from her sleep, they have been applying some make-up on her. She refused at first, but they insisted it.

" Thank you, but what's the occassion? I feel weird having make-up while wearing hospital gown.. " chuckled Irene.

" Wendy unnie has a surprise for you. " replied Joy as she combing on Irene's long brownish hair.

Irene looked up.

" Speaking of her, where is she? "

As soon as Irene asked that, the door slowly creaked open. There was Wendy with a wheelchair in her hands on the door. Wendy cheekily smiled when her eyes landed on Irene. Seulgi held out her hand to Irene, which the older grabbed it and the younger helped her got down from the bed. Wendy led her to sit on the wheelchair, making sure she was comfy.

" Have fun. " Seulgi bowed down jokingly as Joy just smiled at the side.

Wendy turned around, pushing the wheelchair slowly towards the door, but not forgetting to mouth " thank you " to Seulgi and Joy. The door closed as Wendy bringing Irene to somewhere.

" We should watch them from afar, in case, you know, if something happens. " said Seulgi which Joy nodded as the reply.

*

Wendy pushed the wheelchair down the hallway, to the exit until they reached outside. The cold night breeze hit Irene's skin, making her shivered but she enjoyed the fresh air for she never been outside ever since she got admitted to the hospital. Wendy continued to push the wheelchair along the stone pathway until they arrived at a small garden. She carefully helped Irene got up and then made her sit on the wooden bench. She draped a jacket around Irene's shoulder before sitting down beside her.

Wendy smiled sweetly.

" You look beautiful, as always. Even without make-up, you are still angelic to my eyes. "

That statement made Irene blushed madly.

" They forced to do the make-up on me although I refused to. " said Irene, fiddling with the end of her clothes.

Wendy chuckled as she put her thumb on Irene's chin, tilting her head towards her.

" Don't look at anywhere else, other than me tonight. Look at me. I'm here, Joohyun. Stare into my soul. Feel my heart. "

Irene frowned, " You're acting weird. "

" I'm not. " said Wendy, giggling. " I just want to spend this night with you. "

Irene raised her eyebrows playfully, " Only tonight? What about tomorrow and the days after? You won't be here anymore? "

Wendy was taken aback at Irene's words, at how accurate her joke was. She bit her lip as she tried not to break down right then and there. No, not infront of Irene.

" Silly, I'll be here 24/7, " Wendy pointed to Irene's heart, " Forever. "

Irene snuggled closer to her lover, sharing their warmth together in the cold night. Wendy placed her arm on Irene's small shoulder, as she kissed the crown of Irene's head lovingly. Meanwhile Irene buried her face on Wendy's neck, sighing contently.

They stayed in that position for awhile and Wendy hummed to a melody that sparked Irene's interest. A melody that had sad and heartbreaking feeling to it, yet was very meaningful. Although Wendy just hummed to the melody, Irene could feel the sadness and sorrow.

" The melody... what song is that? " asked Irene softly.

" It's my own-composed song, Because I Love You. You like it? "

Irene nodded slightly, " Can I listen to it? "

Wendy laughed.

" Sure, but not now. It's a.... gift for you. " Wendy whispered before pecking Irene's cheek.

Wendy pointed her finger to the stars to which Irene asked why.

" I want to be like those stars. They are far far away, far from our reach, impossible to grasp it, but they are still there. They are still shining their brightest, giving lights to the darkness. You can still look at them, and feel their existence. The darkness might engulf them, but see, we can still see them shining. I want to be like that in your life. Whenever you're feeling down, and feels like drowning in sadness and darkness, just by thinking of me, you can get up and keep going. I want to be your only star. "

Irene looked at Wendy straight into the eyes, " I've been drowning in sadness and darkness since the day we broke up. I didn't know what to do, how to live without you by my side. It felt surreal. It was hard to believe that we broke up just like that. I thought of wanting to end my life, as it killed me to not having you by my side, showering me with endless love. But when I think about you again, I couldn't just give you up. I won't ever let you go. Because you got my heart, and I never plan to take it back. And I'm just relieved that we're together again. After the operation ends, we gonna live like before again. With Seulgi and Joy, together. So, stay with me. Stay with us. "

Irene closed the gap between them as they engaged in intense liplock. Wendy had her hand on Irene's neck, deepening the kiss while Irene succumbed herself into the kiss. Soon, they broke the kiss and stared at each other, exchanging " I love you " before kissing again.

And suddenly, Wendy felt the familiar stinging pain in her head. She grabbed hard on the bench as the pain slowly, but painfully spreading. She pushed Irene gently, ending the kiss. Wendy was breathless, the pain was slowly killing her. She gripped on her fists tightly, supressing her groans when Irene scooted closer to her.

" Seungwan? You okay? "

Irene had Wendy's face in her hands, and she gasped. Wendy was sweating, her face turned white and pale and she looked so ill. Wendy tried hard to smile, shaking her head.

It's time.....

" Joohyun, I- I have something for y-you... " stuttered Wendy as she took something from her bag.

A well-crafted wooden music box.

She handed it to Irene with her shaking hands, gripping Irene's hands tightly. She hissed in pain.

Irene shook Wendy's shoulder in panicked.

" Seungwan..! What's wrong with you? Are you sick?! We need to call the doc- "

Wendy chuckled, " No, just.... listen to me.. Joohyun... I made this music box for you, by myself. You can only.. open it after the operation ends... It contains our memories together, all the words that I couldn't say to you now... Please, keep it.. And treasure it.. Just like how you treasure our love..... "

Wendy went weaker as the pain was piercing through her body. She couldn't hide it no more. It was too much. She couldn't handle it this time. She grasped on Irene's shirt, groaning in pain as Irene was in her panicked state, trying to get some help but Wendy won't let her move.

" Seungwan! You need help, I'll call the doctor...! " Irene was struggling to get up.

Wendy groaned, " Do me a favor, Joohyun. Hold me close. Embrace me... That would do... "

Irene started to cry. She shakily embraced her lover who seemed like she was in total pain, and she didn't have any idea what to do at the moment. Her mind was blank. All she knew was, Wendy needed her.

Wendy hoarsely called, " Joohyun.... Bae Joohyun.... "

Irene sobbed, " Yes, yes, Son Seungwan... I'm here... Oh my god, I don't know what to do- what's happening to you....? "

Wendy leaned closer until their lips met, " I love you, I love you so much.... But I'm sorry... I can't anymore.... "

All that Irene heard after that were, Wendy's painful cry and her soft voice saying,

Goodbye, dear Irene, my love... I'll be your star..... And my heart is all yours...

Irene wiped the tears off of her eyes that was blurring her vision and she saw Wendy was lying, lifelessly, in her embrace. Irene hastily got up and tried her best to run for help while supporting Wendy's limp body along with her. She could feel her lung screamed for help due to her running, but all that she could think was to save Wendy. She yelled for help and she saw Seulgi and Joy ran towards her, along with some nurses.

Irene!

Wendy..!!!

 

Her lung finally gave away.

 

 

She lost conscious as the last scene she saw was they took Wendy away.

*