Can You Not

Home (DISCONTINUED)

img_1674.jpg

“AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

My eyes pop wide open when I hear a loud shrill cry. My head is spinning from the sudden loudness and my eyes are still adjusting to the bright lights in the room. Gosh… I’m so sleepy and tired. And on top of that, my body is aching all over. When I realize that I have been sleeping in a chair, I frown. That’s right. I’m in the hospital. Because of…

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

I jump out of the chair, shocked. There are two nurses surrounding one of the hospital bed and I realize amongst the nurses, my hyung is also there. What in the world? I step closer to the bed to get a closer look. I accidentally let out a scream when I saw what I saw. The cry that woke me up was from the little boy! And ewww oh my god, the nurses are applying some cream to his burnt area and it looks horrible. I really hate things like this. I walk backwards towards a wall and try to take deep breaths, calming myself. I hear the little boy release another pained scream and Donghae leans forward and tries to comfort him. Donghae should be comforting me too! I think I’m going to have a panic attack. I squeeze my eyes shut, not wanting to see any of the agonizing scene and when I hear the little boy’s screams turn into soft sobs, I finally willed myself to open my eyes.

The nurses are gone and my hyung is seating on the hospital bed, next to boy. He’s rubbing the little boy’s back while the boy cries softly, looking down at his arms with his fringe covering his face. Donghae wipes the boy’s tears away and waves me over towards the bed.

“Hey there, don’t cry alright?” Donghae smiles warmly at the little boy. “Look at you! You’re a strong boy, aren’t you!?”

The boy nods but his tears are still falling like a freaking waterfall. Well… At least he can understand what Donghae is saying. I don’t know what to do or what to say and just decide to stand there while I watch Donghae trying to calm the little boy down. After a minute or two, he finally stops crying. He brings his head up and …. I freeze. I feel a sudden rush of emotion when the boy’s eyes meets mine.

“Hello.” I say without even realizing it.

He’s beautiful. He really is. The little boy’s eyes looks so pure and innocent, so clear and mesmerizing. Those deep black orbs looks so honest, so peaceful. I have never experience this. I feel like I’m getting lost in his eyes. The little boy does not say anything to me, does not even smile. He just stares at me and then looks away, his attention distracted as he scans around the room. He sees his sister still sleeping in the next bed and immediately tries to get up from the bed, his eyes getting teary.

“Noona!”

Oh! He can talk! Thank god! And his voice is as cute as a mice!

“It’s okay, it’s okay, honey.” Donghae says. “Your sister is resting.”

“And you need to rest too, okay?”

The little boy continues struggling. He starts to pull onto his IV, looking irritated by it and I immediately pull his little hands away. When his hands are in mine, he stops crying and looks up at me, frozen just like me.

“Your noona is safe, don’t worry.” I say quietly. “She’s sleeping because she’s tired.”

“Are you feeling tired?”

The little boy nods and I awkwardly pat his head. “Then you should get some rest, okay? Your sister and I will be right here next to you.”

He nods his head and stops struggling. Donghae adjusts the pillow on the hospital bed and helps the little boy to lay back down without messing with the IV tubes on his hand. Donghae then takes a seat next to the kid and his hair, smiling warmly down at him.

“Oh you’re so cute.” Donghae coos. “So handsome!”

“What’s your name little guy?”

The boy goes back to being silent, not meeting any of Donghae or my eyes. He picks onto the hospital blanket and stares at it looking amused. My heart aches thinking that this might actually be the first time the boy has ever touch a blanket or even lied on a bed. But of course, I couldn’t just assume. Who knows… The boy could be perfectly living a normal life with a huge comfortable toy- care bed and a fluffy blue and green comforter. Who knows…

“Get some sleep alright?” Donghae then begins patting the boy’s thighs softly.

____________________________________________________________________

Donghae and I decided to call Leeteuk earlier on. We didn’t explain much to our leader and only left him a text telling him to come to the hospital because it was an emergency. Donghae and I made a bet on how long it would take for Leeteuk to arrive. I was confident Leeteuk would take an hour but Donghae said that Leeteuk would only take about thirty minutes since Donghae was the one who texted Leeteuk and we all know that Donghae is Leeteuk’s precious “baby.” And in the end Donghae won. Leeteuk arrived about twenty-nine minutes after we sent that text. He was panting hard and looked pale as if ready for a real emergency. I couldn’t help but laugh at our overdramatic leader. We told him about everything that happened and once we were done, Leeteuk stared at both the kids, his face full of thoughts.

“What should we do, hyung?” I question.

“Abuse or not, we will still have to do a police report.” Leeteuk says. “They will know what to do from there onwards.”

“But what if the police send them back to their abusive parents?” Donghae asks. “They’re in danger, hyung!”

“Or what if they’ve been kidnapped all along and their parents are actually looking for them?” I raise my brows at Donghae.

“Boys,” Leeteuk holds his hands up. “Like I said, the police will handle everything. Let’s just let them-”

“Young? Young?!”

The three of us jump, surprised. We turn around and find the little girl, seating upright, and her eyes in tears as she shouts at the next bed. She must be shouting for her brother. Just like her brother’s reaction, she starts pulling onto the IV tubes and struggling to stand and get out from the bed. Donghae and Leeteuk rushes over and stops her.

“Shhhh shhh,” Donghae whispers. “Your brother is okay. Your brother is safe, I promise you.”

She tries to pull her arms out of Leeteuk and Donghae’s grip and when the hyungs realise that the girl looks frightened by them, they immediately lets go of her arms. Donghae gives her a warm smile and takes a seat on the bed next to her.

“Hi, I’m Donghae.” Donghae introduces himself. “This is Leeteuk and that is Ryeowook.”

“What’s your name?”

“H…. Ha… Hana.” The little girl answers, her voice shaking with fear.

The poor little girl. Her wide eyes are filled with nothing but fear. What had she gone through to end up like this? She’s even trembling! Donghae nods and smile and carefully and slowly places his arm on the little girl- Hana’s shoulder. Hana trembles even more but Donghae smiles at her and shakes his head.

“Hi Hana.” Donghae smiles. “Don’t worry. I won’t hurt you.”

Hana seems to believe Donghae as she stops trembling. It’s either she is soooo naïve or Donghae is a miracle. But then again, if I were a scared little guy and someone Donghae was next to me, I’d feel all better. Donghae always has this good aura around him.

“How are you feeling, Hana?” Leeteuk asks softly.

“W… What is this?” Hana asks, pointing at the IV tubes connected to her hands. “It’s… It’s painful.”

“It’s vitamins for your body, sweetie. Your body is too weak and the doctor says you need some vitamins. Your brother needs vitamins too.”

“Hana, where are your parents?” Leeteuk rubs her back softly. “Where is mummy and daddy?”

Hana looks away and answers, “I don’t…. I don’t know.”

Leeteuk and Donghae exchange worried glances and Donghae points at me. “Hana, do you remember this oppa?”

Hana looks at me and studies me from head to toe. After awhile, she nods her head and looks back at Donghae.

“Oppa saved us.” Hana says quietly.

“Oppa saved us from the bad people.”

__________________________________________________________________________

In another few hours, both the kids are awake. Hana’s eyes widens and for the first time, her lips curl into a huge smile when she sees her little brother waking up. Her brother too, smiles for the first time when he spots his sister awake and right next to him.

“Young!!” Hana shouts.

It’s really heartwaming. I feel like a puddle of mush just watching the both of them. They’re not even struggling to take out the IV tubes, they’re just smiling widely, their eyes glistering. It’s a beautiful sight. Really touching. Leeteuk goes out and comes back with a doctor and two nurses and both of them helps to take the IV tubes out. Once the IV tubes are not connected to the kids, Donghae carries the younger boy, who I assume is Young since his sister keeps mentioning it, onto Hana’s bed. Both the siblings hug each other tightly, not letting go. I feel someone hugging me from the back and turn around to Donghae, his taco-like eyes tearing up.

“Oh god, hyung.” I push this overdramatic hyung away. “Can you not?”

“It’s so,” Donghae sniffles. “Touching!”

I roll my eyes and feel my phone vibrating. I take it out and frown. “I’ve got to go.”

“What? Where are you going?? You can’t just go!”

“The PD for SICS wants me in the studio to do some last minute recording.” I say then wave to both my hyungs. “I’ll be back in a few hours, I promise!”

_____________________________________________________________________

Well…. I didn’t make it back to the hospital in a few hours. I was too tired after recording for SICS and just decided to head home straight. I’m sure the hyungs wouldn’t mind. I’m tired. I really am. And right now, all I need is my bed. I don’t want to be thinking of the hospital or even children right now. Or ever. Really.

It’s not that I hate those children. I really don’t. In fact, I find them cute. But it’s just… it’s too much work. I just want to hand them over to the police or counsellors or whatever and just get on with life. I know it sounds mean and everything but… You understand don’t you? I’m a working adult. I’m an idol. I don’t have the time to fit in caring for children in between my schedules. I don’t know… I just don’t want to get involved.

I step into my apartment and it’s all dark. I share the apartment with Kangin, Heechul and Donghae and I bet Kangin and Heechul are already asleep since it’s late. Or they could still be out but since both the hyungs are busy with schedules, I bet they’re already asleep by now. I head to kitchen wanting to get something to snack on before I go to sleep. I scream out loud when I banged into something squishy and alive and tall.

“Oh my god!” I yell.

It’s still dark in the kitchen but I know this person by smell and I recognized the familiar cologne, I knew immediately who it was.

“Kyuhyun???!! Why are you sneaking around in our apartment??”

“Ryeonggu, ouch! You just elbowed my atomach, you idiot.”

I stand up and head over to where the light switches are and switched on the lights. There my best friend is, lying on the kitchen floor, all confused and pouting. He’s still in his dress shirt so that means that he must have just ended his schedule. But what in the world is he doing in the upper apartment?

“Earth to Kyuhyun, you live downstairs not up here.” I say then take a good look at him. “Are you drunk??”

“I’m not!” Kyuhyun frustratingly replies me and stands up on his feet. “I’m hungry and Sungmin hyung isn’t home to cook for me.”

“And you think I will?”

“Yes! You always cook for me when I’m hungry!”

“You’re such a pain.” I roll my eyes. “I’m hungry too. You make me something for a change.”

“Unless you want the whole of South Korea to burn, then fine.”

“Oh forget it, I’ll make us something.”

I look through the drawers and take out two packets of ramen noodles. I make ramen noodles for the both of us in thirty minutes while Kyuhyun takes a seat and watches me cook. When I’m done, I fill two bowls with the noodles and Kyuhyun takes them from me and smacks my .

“Thanks Wook.” Kyuhyun winks.

I roll my eyes and follow him to the table, seating across of him. Both of us eat together silently, too hungry too start a conversation. Once we are done, Kyuhyun burps and taps his tummy.

“That was good. I haven’t ate anything since afternoon!” Kyuhyun says.

“Don’t they feed you while you’re recording?” I ask, knowing that Kyuhyun had spend the whole day shooting his music video for his solo debut.

“They don’t. And I was expecting you or either one of the members to show up and give me food as support but none of you showed up!”

“Oh, that’s right! I was going to bring you and the crew some rice cakes today! Ah, I even ordered it last night! Dammit!”

“So why didn’t you then?”

“Those kids!”

Kyuhyun raise his brows. “What kids?”

“Urgh, you don’t even have to know.” I sigh.

“Did you get yourself into trouble again, Wookie?” Kyuhyun smirks.

“Oh Kyu… You have nooo idea.” 

________________________________________________________________________________

I have tons of assignments but here I am. Someone please drag me to hell- I mean school work. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying this story. Wook's POV is a little different from my other stories. I wanna make it light and a little funny. I hope it is? Oh wells... Comments are looved. Please and thank you! <3