Chapter 5

Pinwheels

The bell rang, signaling the dismissal. Haneul stretched her arms before putting her things neatly inside her bag. After finishing she slung her bag on her back and grabbed the spinning pinwheel on her desk. “Hurry up” she said as she walked past Jungkook on his desk.

When Jungkook was done they already walked down ready to go home and Haneul spotted Hyerim walking alone “Hyerim ah!” she called

Hyerim turned around and smiled to them and Haneul ran towards her “Are you alone?” she asked

“Yeah” she said and they walked to the gates while having a friendly conversation

“Oh you live in the same area as Jungkook! Right Jungkook?” Haneul said and nudged her bestfriend

“Oh…ah yeah I live there too” Jungkook just said, still shy with Hyerim around

“Jungkook ah, why don’t you walk Hyerim home today?” Haneul said and made Jungkook looked at her with shock

“But how about you?” Jungkook asked, well of course he wanted to walk Hyerim home but he was not ready. He was not prepared, physically and emotionally. He actually wanted to hit Haneul’s head for saying such a suggestion. And besides, he always walked Haneul home because her way home was not that safe at those times since their dismissal is already late afternoon and it’s getting dark. Even though it’s his chance to at least talk to Hyerim, he’s still worried for his bestfriend and he can’t let her walk home alone.

 “It’s ok if Jungkook can’t walk me home” Hyerim said

 “Eyy Jungkook, I’ve been walking that road everyday and nothing happened to me. I’ll be fine. So walk  Hyerim home, so that you can go home early” Hyerim said

“But—“

“See ya!” Haneul said and ran the other way leaving Jungkook and Hyerim.

“Take the bus instead and walk alone!”  Jungkook couldn’t do anything so he just go home with Hyerim. Haneul looked back and smiled to herself when she saw the two walking already. She then fetched her phone from her pocket and sent Jungkook a message

 

To: Kookie

You can thank me later haha. You can do it Jungkook! Fighting!

 

She put her phone back to her pocket and started walking home while the sun was still not setting. She was actually afraid to walk home alone during this time but she just shook the thought away. She blew the pinwheel that she was holding and smiled, she’s sure that she will reach home safely.

Not wanting to scare herself while on her way, she just thought of happy things, like the Pinwheel guy. She played with the pinwheel and think of meeting her next Thursday; she’s excited to see him actually and to know who he was. “Should I find out myself on Thursday or just wait for him to actually reveal himself?” she thought

Haneul continued walking until she felt that someone was following her, it was just her thought? It’s getting dark already and there’s only a few people walking by. She bit her lip and breathe in deeply, she just have to get by the main road where there are more people and is much safer than where she currently was. Until her phone rang.

“Hello? Aunty? What?! I’ll be there fast!” She said to the other line. Their neighbor just called her telling that her mom was sent to the hospital because she fainted right in front of their house. Her mom really works hard for her that sometimes she forgot about her health already. She doesn’t have enough money to go to the hospital and so she needed to go home first so she walked faster until she felt again that someone was trailing behind her.

She walked faster until she came to an alley which is actually a shortcut to the main road, but it was creepy and gangs can be just there somewhere, she contemplated if she’ll going to walk there or not but she needs to go home fast so she sighed and run to the dark alley.

She tried to run faster so that she can pass by it already “Get out of the way!” someone shouted from behind that instantly made her tremble but she managed to look back. Just as she turned her torso she was hit by a guy that made her fall to the ground, the guy who bumped into her, and his companions just ran past her and didn’t even bother to help. When she lifted her head and saw the guy she thought that they looked familiar, until one of them turned around and looked at her, as if wanting to help her, but another guy pulled him already and run.

She was right, they all looked familiar. Namjoon was the one who bumped into her, with Hoseok and the one who looked at her was Taehyung.

Haneul turned her attention away from Taehyung and his group when she heard more running footsteps coming near. She was still on the ground and when she turned and saw that there were about 10 people running towards her direction holding metal tubes and some other than can clearly hurt her or worse, kill her. Her eyes widen as she tried to stand up and run but she was not that fast in running and she can feel that the guys were getting near until a hand grabbed her and drag her into a smaller alley “Ahhh!”

Haneul was afraid too afraid but still managed to look at the guy who pulled her, he’s tall but she didn’t know him. She looked back while still being pulled by the guy and saw two other guys fighting those who were running after her earlier. She was again shocked by the realization that those guys who fight the bad guys were the ones who helped her before, Suga and ChimChim. Looking back at the guy who was pulling her, she finally realized that it was Jin.

And then she remembered what Jungkook told her, that they were in a gang, that they were notorious and troublemakers, they pertaining to three whom she thought were trying to save her, and the other three who bumped into her earlier. And this was their life outside the school.

She was already tired from all the running and she didn’t know where she is already, she just wanted to reach home fast but now she thought that she won’t even reach home alive. Then Jin stopped into another dark alley and hid.

“What is—“

“Shh” he shushed her and covered when she was just about to ask. After a few moments, when everything calmed down Jin removed his hand off her “Tsk tsk are you out of your mind?” was the first thing he said to her

After a while ChimChim and Suga already came but they have cuts on their faces and arms “omo” she said in shock and just look at the two, ChimChim was just quiet but Suga was glaring at her. She took a step back seeing him like that, his stare piercing through her

“What the are you thinking running into this place?!” Suga bursted

She bit her lower lip, of course she knows that she’s at fault, and now because of her they were hurt.