Chapter 8

Pinwheels

 

Jungkook stood up when Haneul's mom came into the room, the doctor just came out and they have just discussed about Haneul’s condition. It was yesterday when the accident happened, when Haneul was just planning to go to the hospital to check on her mom, not knowing that she too will be hospitalized.

"Auntie" Jungkook hugged Haneul's mom. He had also stayed beside Haneul since yesterday, since her mom was just discharged early this morning. "I'm sorry Auntie, I should've walked her home... this shouldn't happen" Jungkook told her with guilt. Jungkook felt that it was his fault.

"Hush Jungkook, it's not your fault. I know you're tired, get home first and have some rest" Hanuel’s mom said apologetically, she didn’t want to bother Jungkook that much too. The boy was supposed to be at home.

"But how about you auntie?"

"I'm fine, don't worry about me" she reassured him

He nodded "I'll come back later" He said goodbye to Haneul's mother and glanced at his bestfriend, lying in the bed and still not waking up. Haneul was covered in bandages, in her arms, legs and head. But what saddened and bothered Jungkook the most was the bandage wrapped around her head covering her eyes.

 

Jungkook walked out the door but he hadn't taken a step after closing it yet when he saw Jimin, Jin and Yoongi.

 

"What are you doing here?" He asked, no sign of friendliness. Jimin looked like he hadn't slept yet. If not for the hospital policy of only one guardian with the patient, he wouldn’t go home yesterday.

"Tss if not for Jimin we woudln't come here" Suga spat, obviously annoyed by Jungkook

"Yoongi stop" Jin said to his mate

"Then you could all go now 'cause you're not needed here" Jungkook said

"Just let me see her" Jimin said with a calm voice "Let me know if she's fine"

"She's fine now! So go away. And why do care so much. You saved her already, thank you so much for that, now you can go!" Jungkook tried to shoo them away but Jimin just won’t go

"Jungkook are you still there?" Haneul's mom came out hearing the commotion outside "Who are these kids?"

"Just... one is our school mate”

"Hello, I'm Seokjin, these are my friends Yoongi and Jimin. And he " Jin formally introduced then pointed to Jimin "took Haneul here at the hospital yesterday"

"Oh really? Thank you so much” she cried and held Jimin's hands

"I.. is she okay now?" Jimin asked

"Hopefully... but the doctor... they said that...”

"mmm" They look back inside the room and heard Haneul

 

"Haneul? Ha... haneul? My dear? Are you awake?" her mom rushed to her side

"O..omma? I..is t.that you? omma?" She said almost a whisper, and tried to move her hand, tried to tilt her head, looking for her mom

"Haneul it's me... omma is here" her mother said, holding Haneul's hand and caressed it, bringing them to her cheeks

"O...omma... why is it so dark?.. Why I can't see anything? ... omma I'm scared!" she said, her hands started to tremble

"Haneul" Jungkook can't help but to run beside her

"Jungkook? Omma? Why is it so dark omma I can't see you. Answer me!” she cried demanding an answer, then she heard them crying

"I'm sorry Haneul" her mom cried

"Haneul..."

"Omma... why? Omma!!" Jimin closed his fist and looked away. He couldn't bear to see Haneul in that condition. The doctor said that her eyes were affected by the accident; some foreign objects flew to her eyes adding the damage from the impact of the hit. She was blinded by the accident.

 

Jimin walked out and punched the wall of the hallway. Why couldn't he do anything? Why is he so weak? 

 

Jin and Suga run to him and tried to stop him, he stopped but his knees went weak and he fall to the floor, crying.

 

“I’m sorry Haneul… I’m so sorry” Haneul’s mom cried as she wrapped Haneul under her arms, she just wanted to take the pain away from Haneul, if only it was that easy.

 


 

Jungkook already went home after talking with Haneul’s mom. Haneul was still on her bed. After she cried knowing her condition, she stayed quiet. She just lay on the bed, not talking.

“Haneul ah, you need to eat” Her mom said as she touched Haneul’s shoulder with one hand while the other is handling a spoon

“I don’t have an appetite mom”

“Haneul please…” her mom said but she just moved to her side and silently cried.

Her mom just sighed and put down the spoon back into the bowl of soup. Then suddenly they heard a knock on the door. Her mom went to open it and saw that it was Jimin. Jin and Suga decided to wait outside.

“Oh it’s you”

“How is she?” Jimin asked.

“She doesn’t want to eat” She answered while shaking her head and giving Haneul a glance.

“C..can I talk to her?”

“Sure”

 

“Mom, who’s that?” Haneul sat up and asked. She heard that her mom was talking to someone, and the voice was definitely not Jungkook or someone she knows.

Jimin then went to the side where Haneul was facing. Although Haneul can’t see her, she could still feel his presence.

“This is Jimin. He’s the one who brought you here” her mom explained, making her a bit interested with the person. She moved her body up so as to sat on the bed and so Jimin immediately helped her. Then her mom said that she’ll go out for a while so they could talk.

“You brought me here?” She asked and Jimin answered with a yes while looking down “Why?”

Jimin didn’t know why Haneul’s following question was like that. Especially the tone she used in asking. It seems that she was asking why he did a ridiculous thing.

“What why?” he asked back confused

“Why didn’t you just leave me there?” She asked again

“I cannot just leave you there, you might die”

“But am I living?” she asked. Yes, she’s alive, but not living. She couldn’t see her mom. Without her vision how could she do the things that she was supposed to do? She couldn’t read anymore, she needed support everytime. How could she live properly if something so important was taken away from her? “How can I live like this? You should just left me. You shouldn’t have saved me!”

“I didn’t” Jimin briefly answered that stopped Haneul “And I’m sorry for that”

 

“I took you here, yes. But I didn’t save you. I’m sorry” Jimin continued and looked down “If only I could save you, then you shouldn’t be here. You shouldn’t be in that condition. If only I’m fast enough to pull you. If only I…”

The room was filled with silence until Jimin stood up and walk to the door.

“But then, this is not the end” Jimin noticed the bloody pinwheel by the table and so he walked to it to get the pinwheel. He went to the window and opened it before sticking the pinwheel from one corner. He smiled as the pinwheel started to spin. Even though it was stained with blood, it was still nice to look at.

“Do you know the symbolic meaning of pinwheels? It means to turn one’s luck around. It’s not the end for you, this is just an obstacle. And I believe that you can turn it around. Just believe,too” and with that, he bid his goodbye