Just like old times

Always at your side

Ellie sat on a chair on her back porch, staring off into the distance as the sun set.

It was the beginning of October, and the nights had begun to cool off significantly.

Daehyun had been at home visiting his family for three days now, and she was doing her best not to think about him.

But no matter what she did, her thoughts seemed to slip back to him.

And she knew she shouldn't feel anything for him.

He didn't have time for a relationship.

And she wasn't even sure how he felt about her.

She wasn't even sure what these feelings were that she had for him.

 

Just then she heard thumping and rustling near the fence, and watched as a figure clambered over the fence, landing in the bushes in her backyard with a thud.

Ellie smiled and stood up giving a short laugh. "Daehyun, you dope."

He picked himself up off the ground and came walking towards her, brushing dirt and leaves off his clothes. "Man, that was so much easier when I was little." 

She smiled as he came and took the chair next to her on the porch.

"You know, you could've just used the gate..." She said raising an eyebrow.

He chuckled. "I know...i didn't think i was going to have such a hard time hopping the fence, but i'll be sure to use it next time."

 

Next time....how long would that be, She wondered to herself.

 

The two sat in silence for a moment, watching as the sun finally set.

"I miss these sunsets." he said aloud.

"What, the sunsets are different from the TS building?" she teased.

His smile faded just enough for her to notice.

"I can't even remember the last time i got to sit and watch a sunset." he said, his brow furrowed.

There was a sadness in his voice.

Before his visit, Ellie had been under the impression that he'd been enjoying his job as a kpop idol. She knew it was difficult, but he'd never given any indication that he was unhappy.

But combined with what he'd said a couple days prior, she was beginning to wonder.

 

"Oh!" he said jumping up from his chair. "I brought something."

Whatever had made him sad had quickly been forgotten.

He walked to the bushes where he'd first fallen and retrieved a paper bag.

He brought it to the porch, pulling out a couple bottles of soju and setting it on the small table in front of her.

"Cups still in the same place?" he asked.

"Mm." she nodded smiling.

Dae went inside and returned a moment later with two shot glasses.

He filled both, handing one of them to Ellie.

He drank his in one shot, coughing as soon as he finished it.

"Oh my god...blech.." he said making a face.

"More?" she asked.

He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "Sure." 

She laughed and poured him another glass.

He threw that one back, making another face as he did so.

She finished her first cup and poured another.

He sat back in his seat, closed his eyes and let out a long sigh.

"What?" she asked.

"I miss this." he said, a smile on his lips.

L stared at him, waiting for him to continue.

"We used to hang out, every summer. Watch the sun set, camp out in our backyards under the stars."

"Mmm." she agreed thinking back. "That was fun."

Something was bugging him, and she kinda figured she knew what it was...but at the same time, she knew he was here because he wanted to forget it.

So she didn't ask.

"I don't ever get to do stuff like that anymore."

He turned his head in her direction and suddenly smiled. "We should have a sleep over...under the stars one of these days."

She smiled at the thought.

"I'd like that."

He smiled. "Next time i come home then."

"Promise?"

"I promise." he said reaching his hand out.

She took it, hooking their pinkies and pressing their thumbs together to seal the deal.

He sat back in his chair, and she immediately noticed his arm pressing against her own.

She was so comfortable around him, it was like he hadn't even been gone the last 3 years, they'd just picked up right where they'd left off.

"Dae.."

"Mmm?" he said looking at her, smiling, eyebrows raised.

"When....when do you think you'll be back?"

He let out a sigh.

Suddenly she felt bad for asking.

"I'm sorry, i didn't--"

"Im not sure." he replied. "I never know when i'm going to have another break..."

"Think it's going to be another 6 months?" she asked, almost afraid to know the answer.

"god i hope not."

He poured another glass.

His face scrunched up in disgust as the soju went down his throat, making him cough.

"So," he started, coughing again. "What about you? What have you been up to the last 3 years?" he asked, suddenly changing the subject. "I feel bad, i haven't kept in touch like i should have. Whenever i've come home it's been so short we didn't get to hang out."

"Oh..not much..I've been going to school, working on getting my degree. I'm almost done, I'll be starting my last semester in about a month. I've been working full time at a shop in town when i'm not in school."

"Not much?" he said teasing. "Sounds like you've been pretty productive to me. And on top of all that you've been helping out my family."

She took another drink.

"Thank you for that by the way. I should be doing it, but, since I can't, i'm grateful that they have you to help."

She dropped her gaze to the floor, giving a quick smile, his praise making her uncomfortable.

"Congrats too. Almost done with college already. I'm jealous."

Ellie laughed. "Jealous? Mr. World-Famous star?"

He smiled, his eyes shifting off into the distance.

She studied him a moment. His skin was beautiful, she'd always loved his color. He jerked his head, trying to fling his bangs out of his eyes. She loved the way his bangs fell across his forehead. Her eyes traveled along his jaw bone to his chin, and she noticed a bit of stubble and smiled. This was the first time she'd seen him with stubble. Finally her eyes came to rest on his lips. They looked soft, and full, and...

He his lips just then, and she blushed, looking away.

"Are you...seeing anyone?" Ellie asked suddenly.

She'd been thinking it, but had no intent to ask....it just sort of slipped out.

Must've been the booze.

"Me? ....No...no i'm not seeing anyone." he said staring down at the soju cup resting in his lap. "Heck, even if i wanted to, I couldn't have much of a relationship i mean...I've hardly even been home for 3 years you know?"

She nodded.

The way he'd said that...did that mean he didn't want to be in a relationship?

"How about you? Surely there's some hot guy at school right?" he teased.

"Ha!" She laughed aloud. "Nope,...no stud muffin for me.."

Truth be told, she'd had a couple dates, it's not like there hadn't been opportunity, but, she just wasn't interested.

Her heart was elsewhere.

"Really? I find that hard to believe. You're so sweet, and fun, and really pretty.." his voice trailed off.

Ellie, who'd been leaning back in her chair, balancing it on just the back legs, let herself drop, the chair making a light thud as the front legs hit the porch.

Did he realize he'd just said that?

"Are you teasing me again?" she asked, not sure what to make of what he'd just said.

"What? Why?" he asked just finishing another shot.

"Jung Daehyun," she scolded. "You'd better slow down on the alcohol or you're going to make yourself sick."

He chuckled.

It was then, that he finally noticed her hand resting next to his on the arm rest.

He linked his pinky with hers. "You know...It's not just the sunsets and my family i think of when i'm missing home."

"..What do you mean?" she asked, noticing her heart rate increase.

"I miss hanging out with you. I notice it the most during the summer months...It brings back a lot of memories. I'm sorry I haven't been better at keeping in touch, and I'm sorry I've been gone so long. I didn't think it would be this long before i'd get to come home. And it's only for emergency purposes...I had a hard time even getting that.." He was mumbling, and for a moment seemed to be lost in thought, forgetting that Ellie sat at his side. He shook his head and smiled again, looking at her, tugging at her pinky with his. 

"How is your Dad by the way? I haven't been over since you got back, I wanted to give you guys some space."

"Don't." he said.

Her brow furrowed, confused. 

"Don't what?"

"Don't..give me space." he said, barely above a whisper.

He was staring at her now. 

Suddenly he leaned in, his mouth coming dangerously close to hers.

Ellie held her breath, unsure of where this was going.

But it was over too soon, with Daehyun's chair tipping over and landing him on the porch, where he lay a moment before he burst out laughing.

Ellie was left stunned...and confused.

Was this just an effect of the booze? Was there anything to what he'd been saying? Did he even know what he was saying?

She watched him lying on the ground laughing himself silly.

All at once his laughter stopped and turned to groaning.

"Ugh...i think i drank too much." he said rolling to his side.

He was trying to get up and L quickly forgot about things as he heaved, throwing up into the bushes next to the porch.

"Ah, Dae.." she said getting up and moving to his side. "I told you not to drink so much."


She pulled a blanket over Dae as he lie down in the guest bedroom.

"Omma..." he mumbled.

"I'll let her know you're here..don't worry about it." Ellie said softly, wiping his face with a cool washcloth.

"Sorry...'bout your bushes..." he mumbled.

Ellie laughed.

"They're just plants Dae, i'm sure they'll be fine."

"Mmm." 

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Mmm." he grunted softly. 

"Ok. Get some sleep. I'll make you some soup in the morning."

"Mmm."

"Dae?" she asked, curiosity getting the better of her.

"Mm?" he said, barely awake.

"Did you mean what you said...that you missed me?"

"...i'm hungry.." he mumbled.

Ellie smiled, shaking her head. Clearly he had no idea what he was saying.

"Silly boy." she said as she turned to go to her room.

He began to snore softly. 

And she sighed.

Completely lost, but content, for the moment, to have the sweet boy sleeping in her house, snoring, after a nice evening together.

"I've missed you Dae." she whispered.

"Thank..you.." he mumbled.

Ellie paused.

And he continued snoring.

"Good night Dae." she said turning and heading back to her room.