A Letter

Always at your side

Ellie had spent the rest of that evening crying.

She'd hurt him..she'd made him cry.

But it was for the best...or so she kept telling herself.

Two days went by, and she felt like a zombie.

He'd been here...he'd come all the way to the US to find her....and she'd told him to get lost.

Mainly because she knew what dating would mean for him and his career...but there was a small part of her that was still angry. Why had it taken him so long to figure out if he liked her.

She knew she loved him, she'd known it for awhile.

She had accepted that what happened that day with his company was not his fault or his doing. 

 

Ellie shuffled through the house, no energy to do anything, running a hand through her hair. 

She decided to go check the mail box. On top of watching the baby, Ellie also took care of some of the cleaning around the house and little things like getting the mail, the newspaper, and doing some of the grocery shopping.

Ellie opened the door and was about to step out onto the porch when something caught her eye.

She looked down to find a white envelop sitting on the doormat.

She looked about before bending down to pick it up.

It had her name on the front.

She took it inside, forgetting all about the mail, and closed the door behind her, moving to the living room to sit down.

She curled up on the couch staring at her name on the front of the envelope ,knowing already who it was from.

It was Dae's handwriting.

She bit her lip, debating for a split second just putting it into the shredder.

But, he'd taken the time to write her a letter and even brought it to the house...she should at least see what it said. 

He was really making an effort to repair things, and she knew he was sorry.

She felt horribly guilty about turning him away.

"Fine." she said aloud as she opened the envelope.

She opened the folded paper, took a deep breath, and began reading.

 

My Dear Sweet Ellie,

I know you asked for me to go away...and i've decided to follow your wishes. It's not what I want to do..but i understand the pain i've caused you, and I understand why you don't want to see me again. However, I never got the chance the other night, to tell you how i feel about you. It's what i came here to do, and I feel that, even if you should never want to see me again, I still owe it to you to tell you how i feel.

I love you Ellie. I love you with all of my heart.

You are the most important person in my life, and I'm sorry it took so long for me to figure this out.

I don't even know when it happened. Thinking back, I can't pinpoint the exact point when i fell in love with you.

But I do know, i've loved you for a very long time. 

Because the feelings I have for you now, i've had for as long as I can remember...I just wasn't sure what exactly to call these feelings.

But, I figured it out. 

Ellie..I wish none of this had happened, i wish i could go back in time and fix my mistakes, but i can't.

I want to make it up to you.

I love you Ellie.

If you'll have me...I want to be more than friends. I love you with my whole heart. I'm going to be honest. More than anything i want to be with you. But, if i'm honest, being together means a lot of time apart... it's not going to be easy...but it will be worth it, i swear. If it's not you Ells, it's no one. I don't say that to pressure you, i'm telling you, there is no one else on this planet for me but you.  I'm sorry i'm an idiot and i'm sorry i'm only saying this now. I could have saved us a lot of pain if i'd done this sooner.

Ellie pulled her knees to her chest, her tears soaking into the paper.

Ellie..I love you. I know i keep saying it but i feel like i can't stress it enough. I would never send you away. I'm sorry for all the hurt and pain you've been through because of me. I can't promise you'll never hurt or be sad because of me again, but i can promise that you will know everyday, how much i love you. Never a day will go by that you will have to ask if i care about you. Please, give me a chance...even though i don't deserve it.

Tomorrow I have to catch the 9am flight to Mexico. We have one last schedule to complete before we get our break. After that I will be going home. If you would be willing, i'd love to see you, talk to you then...I don't want to lose you Ellie. But, I understand if you decide you want nothing to do with. But please understand, that's not what i want...I want you...i need you. Please come back to me.

Your Friend Forever,

Daehyun

 

Ellie clapped her hand over as she broke out into sobs.

Idiot. she thought.

 Her heart and her head were a mess. 

Wasn't she doing the right thing?

She was setting him free, allowing him to move on and be able to live his life, enjoy his career without the burden of having to worry about and care for her.

She thought back to the night she was in his hotel room, and his head rest in her lap as he cried, his whole body shaking. 

He'd been so upset...

Well, he'd made it clear in his letter how he felt about her, and she knew what he wanted.

She guessed the real question was, how did she feel, and what did she want?

She read through the letter a second time.

Tomorrow he was leaving...and then he'd be going home soon.

She'd put in a hell of an effort to disappear.

What about his company... she thought suddenly. Surely they wouldn't allow it...would they find her? Try to send her away again? What would they do to Daehyun?

She chewed her lip as a million thoughts flooded her mind.

 

She folded the letter and went to put it back in the envelope. Only then did she notice there was something else in there.

She pulled it out.

It was a photo.

One of her and Daehyun together on the day of their High school graduation.

She stared at it for a long time, and realized she was smiling.

If she was honest with herself, she'd admit she missed him terribly.

She'd managed to bury her feelings after coming to the states, but now, after seeing him twice, she knew she couldn't deny what she really felt.

The only question that remained then, was what to do....

"I'm sorry Dae." she cried staring at the photo. "I'm sorry."