YeWook

SHinee Cafe

"A piano, hyung?" Onew asked curiously as he watched Kangin and Minho move the instrument into the café.

"Yes, I think it's time we add something to this place." Leeteuk explained as he watched the pair. "We can hire a musician or just leave it there for people to try out. With all of your music talents, it would be a great idea."

"I suppose so." Onew muttered.

"Okay, move it to that wall over there." Leeteuk called to the pair.

Kangin looked over at his lover then motioned with his head to the other the place where the piano was going. Minho nodded and the pair easily moved the piano across the café. Onew was slightly envious on how easily those two were able to accomplish the task. Why was he born with a body that was both weak and clumsy. He was never allowed to be involved with these things because nine out of ten chances he would either break something or hurt himself.  He has had plenty of experience in the past to know that to be true. Sighing a second time he went to grab a rag and Windex and went around cleaning the café. Even if he didn't have the strength to do manual labor the least he could do was keep the place clean. He could feel Leeteuk's gaze on him but made no effort in bringing it up. 

In the coming days he knew that the piano was going to become an important part of the café like everything else. Leeteuk had that ability of adding things to the place to help it pop. He even added some items to the menu for more variety. Onew had to just trust his hyung.

***

It was only a week after the piano was put in that anyone showed interest towards it. During that week each of the five would take a moment to fiddle around on it, each showing off a different degree of talent. Taemin was able to play some medium difficult pieces for the customers, while Minho barely got Mary Had a Little Lamb out in one piece, (or even in the right key for the matter). Surprisingly the one who actually played it best was Key, the diva wowing both the staff and customers with his complex and flourish pieces. Onew was pretty decent at it, but with most things in the café, he wisely just stayed away from it.

The group was having some down time and were taking a break as a group when the door opened. They all looked up when a good looking innocent man came into the café. He had an eternal youthful look to him and almost seemed hesitant in entering the place. When he saw the five he gave a polite bow and made his way over.

"Hello, are any of you Lee Jinki?" He asked in a soft voice.

"I am he." Onew stated as he stood up. "How can we help you?"

"A friend of mine told me you were looking for a pianist for your café." He explained to them. "I was wondering if that offer was still available."

"Wait he plays the piano?" Jonghyun asked curiously only to winch when Key kicked him under the table.

"No pabo, he's actually a dancer and asking for kicks and giggles." The diva countered with a roll of his eyes.

"Just a question." The blond muttered. Both quieted down when they saw the look Onew shot them.

"Please excuse them. We work with idiots here." Onew said in an attempt to make the man smile. He succeeded with that and smiled back. "Yes we are looking for a pianist Mr.…?"

"Kim, my name is Kim Ryeowook." The man finished for him as he held out a hand. "And yes I do play the piano. I've played for many years actually. I can sing really good as well, or so I've been told."

"Wonderful. Why not play something for us now?" Onew asked him as they shook hands.

The man nodded with a smile and made his way over to the piano. The group watched him with high curiosity on their faces. To be honest it was the first time since the five of them that anyone came to apply for a position at their Café. So Onew didn't have any interviewing experience. But a skills test seemed appropriate for the position at hand. The man sat down and stretched his hands over the ivory keys. Taking in a slow breath he began to play a soft, and gentle melodic piece. The music seemed to flow easily from the instrument at the command of his fingers. It would be an understatement that everyone there was impressed. When he finished he was rewarded with a round of applause. Ryeowook smiled at them and went back over.

"That was amazing!" Taemin said as soon as he came back. "I've never heard anything like it."

"I have to agree, what composer was that?" Key asked, unable to recognize the music.

"Actually I am," Ryeowook said with a shy smile. "I wrote it a few years ago. I'm actually a composer but not really that good."

"If that's not really good than I don’t know what else there is." Minho countered with a grin.

"I agree, Ryeowook-shi I think you would be perfect for this position." Onew added as he shook the man's had a second time. "Let's get some paperwork filled out and figure out when you can start."

***

The addition of Ryeowook's piano playing to their café proved to be as much of a hit as Leeteuk had predicted. The young man, who was actually older than them all by a couple of years, had a soft and cheerful personality to him that the patrons absolutely adored. In fact the amount of people coming to the place had increased since he joined. Even the diva Heechul and his tamer Hangeng were impressed by the man's skill. Heechul declaring that he was probably the only good thing about coming back to the place, much to Key's annoyance, so the pair came back frequently.

In fact there was a lot of times their regular patrons made more visits to the café. On this particular day Onew noticed that both Heechul and Hangeng as well as Leeteuk and Kangin were there. The four of them were sitting together at a booth talking and listening to Ryeowook's playing. Jonghyun said it looked like they were on a double date or something and Onew could see that being the case. Ryeowook had just finished another one of his self-composed pieces and was heading towards the kitchen for a well-deserved break when Leeteuk stopped him. The owner spoke kindly towards the pianist asking about his health and stuff, only letting him go when he was satisfied with the answers. It made Onew curious how the two knew each other so he followed the piano player into the kitchen.

"Yah…Ryeowook-hyung?" He called out to the man.

"Yes Onew?" Ryeowook replied around his cup of bubble tea.

"Can I ask a question?"

"Of course, you are technically my boss you know." The older man said with a chuckle.

Onew knew that but there was never any need to use seniority in the café. Everyone worked with everyone and respect was automatic. He treated everyone like a friend and not employees. It made working there more fun and easier to work with everyone's personalities.

"How exactly did you hear about this position?" He asked, having a feeling he already knew the answer.

"Well Leeteuk-hyung told me about it."

That's what he thought but allowed the older to explain.

"You see my dad is a business man that works in the same company as Kangin-hyung. He was expecting me to follow in his footsteps in business but I surprised him by declaring to want to follow my dream in music. Safe to say the man was not happy about it and kicked me out. I meet Leeteuk and Kangin previously at a social event and the pair apparently took a real liking to me. We are really good friends. When they heard about what happened they helped me out in finding a place for me and other stuff. Leeteuk knew I was going in for music but the field was a hard one to crack so he told me about this café he owned and how they needed a piano player. He said it was a good opportunity for me to get my feet in the door of music. So here I am."

"Wow, hyung that’s some story!" Taemin commented once the pianist was finished.

"Yes well everyone in life has their stories right?" The man asked with a grin on his face.

Onew had to agree with this and nodded. Allowing the man to have his proper break he went back into the café area. He found his two waiters standing at the counter whispering to each other about something, both their gazes on a new patron. Onew went to them and leaned between their joined heads.

"What's up?" He asked forcing them apart.

"Oh hyung, we were just talking about that guy over there. He's kind of weird." Jonghyun said in a low voice.

Onew looked over and saw a man older than them. He had a relatively large head with messy black hair and dark eyes. He wore simple clothes, a pair of jeans and a red shirt. He had this mysterious look to him as he sipped his coffee, his eyes mostly aimed at the table and not around him. Onew couldn't find anything really weird about him besides that.

"What's so weird about him?"

"Well I've never seen anyone bring their pet turtle to a café before." Minho explained.

Onew took a second look and sure enough the man's eyes were not aimed at the table but a small turtle in front of him. He seemed to be speaking to the turtle in a soft voice and Onew had no idea what he was saying but it did make the situation more interesting. Onew was about to comment but paused when he saw Ryeowook come back from his break. The piano player was beginning to head back to his spot when he stopped at the table with the man and his turtle.

"Oh what a really cute turtle!" Ryeowook said with bright eyes and an equally bright smile. "What's his name?"

"Ddangkoma." The man replied in a low husky voice.

"It's nice to meet you Ddangkoma-ah! My name is Ryeowook." He said cheerfully.

"Yah! Wookie!" Heechul's voice cut through the café. "Stop wasting your time and play me a song already! I'm getting bored over here."

"Heechul." Leeteuk scolded the man. "Don't be rude. He just got back from his break. Let him take his time."

"I wait for no one Teukie. You should know that by now." The other man countered with a raised nose.

"Chullie behave." Hangeng said in his soft voice and it caused the man to deflate and calm down.

"I'm sorry for making you wait Heechul-hyung." Ryeowook called to them before turning back to the turtle. "Well I guess I better get back to work. It was nice meeting you Ddangkoma!"

Ryeowook smiled bright to the turtle and the owner before quickly heading towards the piano. The man watched the whole thing with a light and thoughtful look on his face. Onew grinned lightly as he watched Ryeowook go through his normal procedure before he placed his hands on the piano keys. Taking a breath he paused for one second before launching into another piece of his own composition. The mysterious man watched the entire performance with unwavering eyes. Every so often his hand would go out to prevent his turtle from taking a huge tumble off the table but other than that he kept his gaze on Ryeowook and his piano playing skills.  He never left that spot, only asking refills on his coffee, until Ryeowook was finished playing. As he bowed politely to the scattered applause he received the man rose to his feet and went over to him. Onew was quick to follow, using the pretense of cleaning the table by the piano as a reason to be there.

"You play really well." The husky voiced man began causing Ryeowook to jump in surprise.

"Oh, thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it."

"Do you sing as well, or do you only play?"

"I can sing a little bit, but not as well as playing."

The man nodded, seeming to accept the answer.

"Those are self-composed pieces there am I correct."

"Ah yes! I did write them all. Again I am glad you liked them…Mr.….?"

"Kim Jongwoon." The man introduced himself. "But you can call me Yesung."

"Yesung, as in the music producer!" Ryeowook asked in surprise. "Don’t you work for SM Entertainment?"

"You seem to have beaten me to the punch line Ryeowook-shi." Yesung said with a chuckle and a light grin. The man shifted his turtle to one hand as he reached into his pocket to pull out a small business card case. Pulling one of his cards out he placed it in the hands of the shocked Ryeowook. "I would like to hear from you soon. I think you have some amazing talent."

"T-thank you!" He replied with a blush on his face.

Yesung's lips twitched slightly before he gave a small nod and turned to leave. Pausing for a moment he glanced over his shoulder.

"Even if you don’t wish to audition for the company I still hope you give me a call, I wouldn't mind getting to know you personally Ryeowook-shi."

Leaving a heavily blushing man, for a totally different reason now, behind he passed his table where he tossed down his money before leaving the café all together. Once the door closed Ryeowook seemed to snap out of his thoughts and looked down at the card in shock.

"Wow hyung," Onew said as he approached the male. "That was quite the moment. He seems to be a nice person, and he is giving you quite the opportunity. Are you going to take it?"

"I…I don’t know…"

"Why now?" Onew asked in surprise. "This is your golden chance, you have to jump on it."

"But if I do, I'd have to quit here." Ryeowook countered softly. "I have come to enjoy playing at this little café of yours."

"But hyung!"

"It seems our little Wookie has quite the situation on his hands." Leeteuk's voice broke into their conversation.

The pair looked up and saw the four older ones had now joined them. Ryeowook was biting his lip as he stared at his hyung.

"Hyung. I don’t know what to do. This is a great opportunity but I don’t want to quit either. If I took the audition…"

"Yesung is already aware of you desire to stay at the café. And he has no problem working around that." Leeteuk cut him off with a grin.

"Wait…how would you know that?"

"Because I was the one who invited him here." Leeteuk explained with a dimple smile.

It's official, Onew thought, Leeteuk hyung knew everybody it seemed…

"Eh?"

"Yes, Yesung came by one of my father's restaurants a while back and I happened to be there. We started talking and I told him about you. He was curious of course so I told him that you would be working at this café soon and for him to stop by and listen. If he was interested he could approach you then."

"Wait a minute." Onew paused to do the math. "That would mean you had this whole thing planned from the beginning. The bringing in the piano, having Ryeowook hyung come in to work for us. That was all planned to get Yesung here to listen to him play."

"I always knew you were the smart one Onew." Leeteuk praised the younger man.

"Well played Teukie. Your plan seemed to be a success." Heechul said with an impressed expression.

"Well that all depends on what our Wookie decides to do." Leeteuk replied as he looked to the piano player. "I think you should do it. Even if you decide that you don’t want to perform, you should at least give him a call. I think he's a good match for you."

"H-hyung." Ryeowook cried with a blush on his face.

"What? Like you didn't notice the chemistry between you too. Give him a call, you guys would get along very well together." Leeteuk than glanced at his watch and sighed. "Well it looks like I have to get going. Father wants to meet with me about the progress of this place. Ryeowook, no matter what you decide I'll support you."

"Thank you hyung."

"Take care kid." Heechul added as he and Leeteuk headed out the café. Their lovers bided the pair farewell as they followed them out as well.

Onew looked over at Ryeowook and saw him fiddling with the card.

"Hyung. No matter what you do, you'll always have a place here with us."

"Thank you Onew."  A teary eye man replied. "That means a lot to me."

Onew nodded back and left to allow him to think about his opinions. He had a feeling that Ryeowook had the best opinion in mind for himself.

***

As it were Ryeowook did not take the audition. There were a handful of exchanging money on that one between the five. He told them that he actually enjoyed playing here more and that for him his dream of music wasn't for him to become famous or make a lot of money, but to enjoy the art that he so loved. So he turned down the opportunity and continued to play his own compositions for the café patrons.

He did, however, call Yesung anyways to get to know him better. After all they were a pretty compatible match for each other. After a few phone calls and even fewer dates the pair were now officially dating and they had another regular to add to their list. Yesung provided to be an interesting source of entertainment to the staff. Dubbed the 'King of Fail' by Heechul he proved to be an awkward sorts at times, his attempts to do something gallant or romantic towards the younger piano player ending up in failure. But every time he did Ryeowook would blush a light pink color and kiss him on the cheek for his efforts so everyone supposed in some way it all worked out in the end.

Yesung had the habit of bringing his turtles along on his trips and patrons there were used to seeing Ryeowook playing the piano, Yesung sitting at a table nearby watching, and his turtle perched on top of the instrument. Minho said it was like having their own little mascot for the café. Key said he was responsible for any messes that the turtle made, and Taemin wanted one of his own. The only habit that he did do that would cause problems from time to time was his fascination with touching people, especially their philtrums. On more than one occasion he has done so and then quickly duck from someone's flying fist. But he only does it with the ones he's more comfortable with so the others have become use to that habit as well.

But the best thing about Yesung was his voice. As his name suggested, he had a really art like voice. When he was in a good mood, which was any day Ryeowook smiled at him, he would perform for the guests with songs of his own. At times he would even coax the younger into an impromptu duet, serenading everyone there with a beautiful mixture of sound of baritone and tenor. It was those times that Onew really enjoyed working at the café best as of late.

Right now the man was leaning over the pianist shoulder, humming along with something that the younger was working on, one had resting comfortably on his shoulders while the other pointed something out to his boyfriend. Ryeowook seemed to be agreeing with him on the point and was marking the paper with the new notes. When he was finished he flashed the other a bright smile and was rewarded with a small kiss on the cheek.

Yeah, it was good to work here. Onew decided with a smile.