The Comfort

My Lovable Girl Part 2
XSYKOTICA
The Comfort
The Comfort

On the ride to the hospital, Myungsoo didn't utter a single word. He stared blankly at his wallpaper, which was a picture of him and his younger sister. Krystal peered at the picture, shocked at the resemblance between Myungsoo and his sister, Mi Soo. She was a young student of 14, and she had the same mesmerizing eyes as Myungsoo. Krystal sighed inwardly, saddened by the cruel fact that such a young girl had to go through so much pain. Although Myungsoo refused to answer her, Krystal guessed that Mi Soo was very ill, and had been for a long time. Krystal reached for Myungsoo's cold and trembling hands. She held it as tightly as she could, willing all her strength to him. 

Finally, they reached the hospital and Myungsoo bounded out of the taxi and into the endless corridors. Krystal paid the driver hurriedly before running to find him. "Myungsoo yah! Myungsoo!" He was out of her sight within split seconds and she did not know where to go. She looked to a nurse for help. "Excuse me, may I know which room Kim Mi Soo is warded in?" 

Myungsoo reached the room very quickly, but hesitated to open the door. He didn't want to see his younger sister suffering, didn't want to see her dying, it was as if he could prevent everything from happening by not going in the room and seeing her for himself. He stood outside the room, his tears falling rapidly as he tried to force himself to accept the truth. Krystal appeared behind him, slightly out of breath from all the running. She saw him hesitating outside the room and she ran towards him, hugging him from the back. 

He was startled by Krystal and turned to face her. Krystal tenderly wiped the tears from his eyes. "Don't cry, Oppa, there's a girl in there who really needs your support right now. How can she be happy and recover well if she sees her oppa crying?" He nodded fervently and wiped off his tears roughly. "I'm going in now, wait for me outside, okay?" Krystal nodded and pushed Myungsoo through the doors. She watched silently through the window as Myungsoo hugged his mother and his sister. She started to cry as she recalled what the nurse had told her about Mi Soo earlier. 

"That patient is in the Orncology ward. She is so pitiful, with all the tubes sticking out of her. And her only being 14...she was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 7 and has been in and out of remission since then. This time, it seems a lot more serious...I don't think she will survive beyond this year." 

Myungsoo gently cupped his sister's cheek. "How are you doing, Mi Soo ah? Been up to any mischief lately?" He lovingly teased. Mi Soo looked up at him with a bright smile. "I've been doing well, Oppa, how about you? Are you happy?" He held her hand as he replied, "Yup, I'm very happy recently, I'm filming a new drama now and I get along very well with the rest of the cast." Mi Soo weakly clapped her hands. "Wahh my oppa is growing up...easily making friends with...complete...strangers..." Her voice started to trail off as her breathing grew more labored. Myungsoo was alarmed but thankfully Mrs Kim stepped in. "Mi Soo ah I told you not to overexert yourself...get some rest now...."She lowered Mi Soo's bed and when Mi Soo closed her eyes, Mrs Kim pulled Myungsoo out. 

When Krystal saw them coming out, she quickly ran to the toilet to hide her tears. Myungsoo went to the corridor with his mother, who hugged him tightly and patted his back. "I'm sorry for giving you such a shock....the doctor said that she got a relapse...and that it is a serious one...I just wanted you to be prepared for...when we lose...lose her...." His mother dissolved into tears and Myungsoo started to pat her back reassuringly now, even though his heart felt like it was being stabbed by a thousand knives. 

When he finally persuaded his mother to go home and rest, he re-entered the hospital room, where he found Krystal sitting next to Mi Soo. She looked up at him when he came in and immediately noticed his quivering eyelids and shaking hands. "Are you okay?" She asked concernedly. "Go home, it's late." He brusquely replied. Krystal recognised that he wanted to be alone with Mi Soo so she retreated to the corridor without a word. She sighed deeply as she watched Myungsoo kneel at Mi Soo's bedside and bury his head in his hands. 

Myungsoo looked at Mi Soo, the sister that now seemed so foreign to him. She was too thin, her skin too translucent, too many tubes protruding out of her small body. The expression on her face though, was familiar and comforting to him. She was smiling peacefully, as if she was having a happy dream, instead of her living nightmare. He her soft hair affectionately, remembering all the times when she used to crawl into his bed whenever there was a thunderstorm, when she confessed to him that she liked a boy from middle school, when she hugged him tightly everytime he came back from school. She never failed to bring a smile to his face, and watching her now, Myungsoo felt so useless that he couldn't save her from this horror of cancer. It was coming to claim her, and he wasn't prepared for that. A tear slipped out of his eye suddenly, and it fell onto Mi Soo's hand. She opened her eyes slowly and smiled when she saw that it was her brother. "Oppa, you're still here?" 

He wiped away his tears and nodded. "Of course, where else would I be but with my beautiful sister?" She chuckled slightly. "Don't you need to go for filming?" He shook his head. "Not today, I asked for leave." Mi Soo pointed to the corridor. "What about that girl? Isn't she Krystal from f(x)?" He looked in Krystal's direction to see her nodding off as she said on the benches in the corridor. He went over to her quickly and poked her. "You're still here? Why don't you go back and rest? You still have filming later in the day." She rubbed her sleepy eyes and shook her head. "It's alright, I'm not tired. How is Mi Soo?" Myungsoo hugged Krystal lightly. "Thank you for staying here with me, for giving me this moral support. I'll be strong for my mother and for Mi Soo from now on, so don't worry. Mi Soo is doing alright I guess..." Krystal held his hands tightly. "Seeing you like this, I'm very relieved. Stay strong alright! I'm only a call away, so talk to me if anything happens or even if you're bored alright?" He nodded obediently and Krystal left the  hospital, very much relieved. 

Myungsoo went back into the room. "What is your relationship with her, Oppa?" Mi Soo sensitively asked. Myungsoo blushed as he replied, "We're dating now." "Oppa, do you really like that unnie?" He nodded silently, looking at Mi Soo for her approval. Her face broke into a smile as she gave him a thumbs up. "If Oppa likes her, I trust your judgement. Oppa, you have to promise me that you'll be happy alright? I'm grateful that Oppa has Unnie to stay with you from now on, but I can't help being worried for Omma. Oppa, you have to take care of Omma okay?" Myungsoo clutched her hands. "Why are you talking like that, Mi Soo? Don't talk like that. Nothing is going to happen to you, not if I'm here to protect you. You have to promise me that you'll watch my new drama, that you'll support me throughout the series, alright?" Mi Soo nodded as Myungsoo enveloped her in a hug.