Never before

The Retrieved Soul

‘I’m sorry, can I have another chance to go? I will practice hard and do my best this time!’

‘This is like what? 100th time you did it wrong? It’s already the simplest part of the dance for you.. looks at everyone around you! We are getting so tired just for your mistake!’

‘I’m really really sorry.. I’m still trying very hard!! Please please give me one more take..!!’

‘I don’t think I can do that anymore girl, you told me the same thing 8 hours ago and I still couldn’t see any improvement! This project is big , I have to take full responsibility for its success or failure. I just can’t let any obstacle get in the way right now.. which is you my dear. I hope there will be another project up for you to have chance in soon but right now, I think we will have to eliminate you from this.’ The director said firmly and called on some managers to acknowledge them that taeyeon wasn’t fit to be in that soon-to-be released rookie group.

Taeyeon was asked to leave the shooting scene and that they will call her in for evaluation soon. She wanted this so badly, after being a trainee for 4 years, she finally found her path and was determined to do what she loved… to sing. But even with that angelic voice, it wasn’t enough . The tough competition required her to achieve more, she had to dance and act as well which she had a serious problem with.

‘Why can’t they just let me sing? Why can’t I dance as well? Why am I failing so many times? What should I do now? One more year left for me to debut before I pass the ideal rookie’s age..what should I do….what if I can never do this? What if It’s not meant to be for me?... Yoona where are you? I need you… I can’t afford to feel this myself…’ Taeyeon mumbled while wandering around the streets, repeating all over again her doubts for herself, feeling devastated of her weak talent.. little did she know, she was crossing the road with red light on… for that instance.. she could only hear a loud honk and bright lights heading very close towards her but she could only stare……

 

Taeyeon’s POV

I open my eyes. I check my surrounding to make sure where I am. That dream….. the same ache lingers in my heart again. The sun is being sweet today, warm rays hitting into my bedroom and with the vanilla candle I lighted yesterday night , I feel better. It’s another precious day off work, means there will be time for me to breathe and for me to feel my existence in this world. I’m not saying I don’t appreciate the recognition I get from people, I just want to feel myself to be here right now, I just hope I will not regret. I get off from my bed to do a quick wash up and head towards the kitchen, thinking that Yoona is probably making my brunch already.

‘Morning Yoon….the same old menu again?’

‘Yah.. what do you mean?? I do improvise from time to time alright. And it’s different today, we are going to have Pad Thai and Tomyam soup with seafood for brunch!’ Yoona continues cooking with the light blue apron I bought her last Christmas.

‘Thai cuisine? Since when you learnt that? Please don’t upset my stomach, I have errands tomorrow don’t you forget.’

‘Well since when did I ever go wrong with my cooking? You have been eating since young, brat!’

I chuckle at that statement of hers. Honestly, I do love whatever Yoona cooks. The taste of home, and most importantly the care from her dishes makes me feel alive. Despite the money and free time we have on our day off, we rarely head out for food but to stay home and Yoona will always cook for me. Yoona’s parents passed away few years ago right after Yoona graduated from university, I had just started my career and for not neglecting her , I made her my manager as she did a degree in Public Relations thinking that it would be the perfect combination for both of us well.

‘Here you go, yours is without nuts. Hey which do you want, coffee or smoothie?’

‘Hmm smoothie please, I will just leave coffee for tomorrow’s meeting.’

‘Yeah..…speaking of which, Ms Hwang called me this morning to check on you apparently.’

‘Check on me? Is there anything I have to do?’

‘She told that she tried to reach you this morning but the call couldn’t get through, so she called me instead. It was my mistake actually, I didn’t update the personnel department after you got your new number as we were busy for your recent schedules, so she asked for it. I wonder what plans she has for you though, nobody reaches you directly so far for matters, or do I look annoying that she doesn’t even want to go through me? Haha!’ Yoona laughed at her own thought.

It makes me wonder as well. In our business, all appointments should go through managers first before acknowledging the artists, basically I don’t have to do so much of planning with schedules, Yoona takes care of everything for me besides asking my opinion on certain offers that I might not want to accept.

‘Hmmm… now that makes sense….’ I smile to Yoona cheekily.

She gives me a cold stare.

‘Well maybe she is handing the company over to me? Wow, it sounds like a good offer, if that’s the case I don’t mind getting calls from her frequently.’

‘In your dreams tae… Quick, finish up the food and we have to see what to put on you tomorrow. Maybe with the good look she might name you the CEO.’ Yoona teased.

 

It’s been a while since I last entered the company’s building. I have a private dance studio prepared just for me since quite some time ago so I barely stepped into the company anymore besides for meetings. As usual, I bump into some of the fresh faces that I never see before and I receive 90 degree bows from them and also some screamed while seeing me. If it’s not because of my status in this field, then it must be I look like some horror movies’ characters. The administration floor is a bit different from what I saw last time, I see some pink flowers in vases being placed  at corners and corridors, the plain boring white cemented wall along the way was cover with wallpapers with slight hint of beige and pink, there are also patterns on it. Although it doesn’t affect me much but the change does make the office more refreshing and calm. I guess the new management has a better way to treat the employees.

Finally I arrive at the meeting room, I look down to check my attire before knocking on the door. Yoona and me decided on simple look today, so I’m wearing a dark blue floral printed shirt, a white short gathered skirt and a pair of white wedges. I give three light knocks on the door, waiting for answer but it seems like there’s nobody inside. So I knock again harder this time but still there’s no response. I decide to turn the doorknob without pushing it to give an alert to whoever is inside, and just when I’m doing it, someone calls me from behind.

‘Hello Taeyeon!’ I turned around and meet the crescent shaped eyes immediately, beaming at me. This lady in front of me does look more like a celebrity more than anyone else, even by wearing just a simple blue floral raffle dress and a red cardigan, she looks extremely stunning. Also to my amaze, meeting her continuously three times out of shock sounds funny to me, it’s like she’s always appear behind my back.

‘Hi Ms Hwang. Sorry I was knocking on the door but nobody answered.’

‘My bad, I had to go to the washroom earlier, come on in, I’ve been looking forward to meet you today.’

She walks pass me and take the lead into the room, to my surprise I realize she has this faint musky vanilla fragrance on her. It smells……good. And the floral dress she’s wearing… I can’t help but to look at my own shirt again.

‘Please take a seat. Owh by the way, do you mind me calling you Taeyeon? I just think that it feels better this way.’

There she goes with the eye smiles again, it’s not like I don’t get to see pretty faces before, but there’s something with this lady that makes me can’t stop looking at her.

‘No, not at all.’ There is something I wanted to ask her but I decide to hold it back for now.

‘Great! Let’s get started. Oh and please call me Tiffany, I would prefer no honourifics between us coz I believe we will be………..very much closer, soon!’ She said it with a wink.  

That wink… it got my breath hitched. No…. this is feeling way to weird, thank god I’m still keeping a neutral face as I always do no matter what happens, it must be a normal gesture people from the states do, Kim Taeyeon.. you are seriously overreacting. I can’t be looking stupid in front of my superior.

Fortunate enough for me, she turns away immediately to get some paper files from the shelf and call her secretary in. I take a deep breath gently so that nobody will notice and have my leg crossed to look all professional for the meeting. But deep inside…. I just want to run away……

This is totally insane!!  Two hours of conversation took place, and I barely remember what did we actually discuss. I could only recall bits of the information she told me and I’m pretty sure I nodded at most of her questions without knowing what were they about. I’m so disturbed right now by the fact that I’m disturbed coz of one wink!! And also this new boss of mine that made me stare at her for two hours!! I hope my poker face did a good job. The only thing I could do is to ask her to send me a full confirmation of dates after this and the new agreement that I mindlessly agreed with.

‘Thank you for your time Taeyeon, I’m glad that you have no objections against my plans , I have meetings to attend later so I guess I have to go now. My secretary will send the complete information to you and Yoona shortly. I will make sure everything work out fine. By the way, are you feeling alright? You were very quiet during the meeting, please do get enough rest, I know the work is too much for you most of the time, you can talk to me directly should you need any assistance okay? I-I’m………always available.’ Tiffany said with a gentle smile.

The last sentence, am I making things up? I can sense shyness when she said that.

‘I’m fine thank you. I just had a lot of things in mind I’m sorry, it’s the work having its effect on me again. I will carry out the job nicely as usual, I think there’s nothing tough for me.’ I said it with confidence. Indeed, I never fail on any job I do.

‘Very well then, so I will be seeing you at the airport on Wednesday. Have a good day Taeyeon!’Once again she beams her eye smile at me before leaving the room.

Wednesday? What is that about?... Oh no! Now that I recall, she made herself as one of the visuals to represent the company and I’m supposed to work with her alongside with other labelmates for the upcoming Christmas and New year’s short film to promote our company…... Which means………I’M GOING TO WORK WITH HER??!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

hihi... looking forward to their interactions.. taeny will be filming together!! :D:D i will be adding some characters in the following chapters.. not sure when but i will plan my best.... :D thank youuu so supporting!!!! bye for nowwwww