Shall We Go?

Where Did You Come From?

Jonghyun had permanently moved in to Minho’s room, giving Jinki the couch. It wasn’t that different, considering that Jonghyun ended up in Minho’s bed almost every other night. Jonghyun felt comfort sleeping next to the taller boy. It was hard to be so far from home, and Minho had become his solace when he felt lonely.

 

On saturday, their school was hosting a matsuri, or a Japanese festival. Usually Minho and Key didn’t go to these things. Their school wasn’t exactly the best when it came to throwing parties, and who knew how accurate the matsuri would be. Much to the boys dismay, Jonghyun and Jinki had found a flyer promoting the event.

 

“Can we please go!” Jonghyun begged, making his eyes big and round like a puppy’s. “I’ve never been to a matsuri before.” At least in this time period, he thought.

 

“Let me at least try to get some of my homework done, okay?” Minho said, trying not to look at Jonghyun’s face, “then I’ll consider it. Try to convince Key to go, I’m not just going with you two.”

 

While Minho worked and Key locked himself in his room, Jonghyun and Jinki were left to their own devices. “Let’s watch tv,” Jonghyun suggested.

 

“Why would we watch tv? all those shows are old,” Jinki groaned.

 

“Yeah, but isn’t it cool? You’re watching the shows in the time period they were made for!” Jinki just groaned again. “Fine, do you want me to make Key come out of his room?”

 

“You know how to do that?!” Jinki was eager to spend more time around the boy. They hadn’t really interacted since the previous night.

 

“Please, I’ve lived here for two weeks now. I know enough about these people to make it interesting.” Jonghyun flipped through the channels, looking for project runway. It was the only thing that he knew Key loved to watch. He paused when he saw Tim Gunn criticising people’s aesthetics, and almost on cue you could hear Key pushing back his chair in the next room.

 

He entered very casually, “which season is it?”

 

“Do you think I know?” Jonghyun said, handing him the remote. He raised his eyebrows at Jinki when Key sat down next to him and mouthed, you’re welcome. Jinki nervously readjusted in his seat, and Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “Do you guys want snacks?” he asked, looking for an excuse to leave. Neither boy responded. Jinki was busy stealing glances at Key, and Key had his eyes fixed to the screen. So Jonghyun got up to give them some space. He sat on the counter in the little kitchenette, playing games on his phone and listening in on their conversation.

 

“So what’s this show about?” Jinki asked, trying to start a conversation with Key.

 

“These people have to design clothes,” Key curtly replied. He was trying to figure out which season they were watching. It had to be season 9, but which episode was it?

 

“Is that really all there is to it?” Jinki quietly responded, realising the boy wasn’t really listening.

 

Key rolled his eyes, “just watch the episode. There’s no way I could possibly describe project runway.”

 

Jinki didn’t want to watch. He wanted to talk to Key, he wanted to connect with him on some level, but it was hard when everything he knew about was so far away. Jonghyun could feel the tension from the living room. He was just about to get off the counter when Minho left his room.

 

“Alright, I’m already bored with math,” Minho stretched, “lets go to this matsuri, and Key, you’re coming too.”Key groaned, but went to get his shoes. For some odd reason Key listened to Minho, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t complain the whole time he was doing what Minho wanted.

 

The four of them made their way to the center of the quad, seeing the amount of people in kimonos increasing as the went. Jinki and Jonghyun were giggling in the back, excited to see the festival. They were sure they would get to play games and wear their own kimonos. Key and Minho on the other hand were dreading going. Matsuri’s were so common place at home, it seemed silly to go when they were at school. Minho was looking forward to making Jonghyun happy though. Minho noticed the two boys behind them were preoccupied, talking about what food they were going to eat first, so he took it upon himself to talk with Key. “Hey, what’s going on with you and Onew,” he quietly asked.

 

“Onew seems to be enamoured with me, and I’m ignoring him,” Key replied bluntly.

 

Minho punched him on the arm, “be nice Kibum, who know’s, you might like him back.”

 

“I know, and I do,” Key responded quietly, “that’s the problem.”

 

Minho was a little taken aback, “Wait a minute. Since when?”

 

“Since his stupid smile, that’s when,” Key grumbled.

 

“Jesus Key, it’s been like two days,” Minho was shocked by Key showing interest in the older boy. Jinki just seemed to piss him off.

 

“Yeah?” Key raised an eyebrow, “And how long did it take for you to bring Jonghyun home, hmm?”

 

“Fair point,” Minho sighed.

 

The two were interrupted by Jonghyun. “Oh my god! Look!! You can win fish?!” He yelled, grabbing Minho’s arm and pulling him towards the first booth. He pulled on Minho’s sleeve, “can we get one? Pleeeaasseee?” He clasped his hands together and stuck out his lower lip hoping to convince the taller boy.

 

“Where would we put it?” Minho asked, ignoring the blonde’s pout.

 

“I’ll take care of it myself,” Jonghyun said confidently.

 

“I just don’t understand why a little gold fish is so important,” Minho sighed, handing the worker a 500 won coin. Jonghyun bounced excitedly and tried his hand at the game. It was a shooting game with a cork gun. If you were able to shoot down the red moving target, you would win a fish, if you shot down any of the other targets, you would get a toy based on the amount that you shot down. This was all within the time restraint of half a minute. Jonghyun was wiggling with excitement as he pulled up the gun. Cork guns were so old fashioned. Kids in his time had small laser guns that only fried insects, so this was a whole new experience for him. “So I just pull the trigger, right?” he asked Minho, who stood behind him.

 

“Yeah, but remember to reload,” Minho responded, getting closer to Jonghyun.

 

“Okay,” the worker said, “time to try your hand at the sharp shooter. Hit down the red one, win a fish! any thing else you shoot down will only give you points towards another prize.” He pulled out a stopwatch, and Jonghyun focused on the red moving tile. “Three,” Jonghyun tightened his grip, “Two,” His finger on the trigger, “One!” Jonghyun shot at the red tile, missing and hitting down another tile. He struggled to reload. It wasn’t as straight forward as he thought it would be. Minho noticed him grappling with the weapon, and wrapped his arms around the smaller boy, grabbing the gun and reloading it for him. The two lined up the next shot, another miss. Their hands met as they fumbled with the gun. Jonghyun dropped the gun into Minho’s hands and looked him in the eyes, blushing a little bit. Minho reloaded it himself and shot down the target almost instantly.

 

He avoided Jonghyun’s gaze when he grabbed the fish, “I didn’t want you to waste the money,” he said, his own cheeks pink.

 

When they turned around, fish in hand Jinki and Key were gone, and Taemin and Kai were standing there. “Funny seeing you here,” Kai said, giggling.

 

“Not really,” Minho mumbled, “it’s a school event, it was bound to happen.”

 

“I suppose so,” Kai said, he looked at Jonghyun, “do you want to come with me? I have some sweets I want to show you!” Kai sounded a little too eager to the smaller boy, and he was reluctant to leave Minho. “Come on, we can find Key and his friend too,” Kai kept encouraging.

 

Jonghyun finally obliged, following Kai through a mass of people until they got to a booth full of candies and icecream. “Here,” he said, handing Jonghyun an icecream cone. “Please stop trying to interfere with what I’m doing. Do you know how long it’s taken me to get this close? I don’t want you screwing things up.” Kai stood up and left Jonghyun on a bench by himself. He knew Kai meant well, but it was hard for him to take. Jonghyun knew that Minho and him had chemistry, he wasn’t going to deny it, but he also had some compassion for Taemin. He was left thinking about where to go from there. Did he really matter to Minho? He didn’t think he would ever know the answer to that.

 

Meanwhile, Key and Jinki had found their way to the booths with little trinkets and hats. “I think you look good in this one,” Jinki said, putting an oversized hat on Key, and he laughed.

 

Key was so annoyed. Jinki barely knew anything about fashion, and he insisted on putting Key in the dumbest hats he had ever seen. But Key couldn’t resist that smile. Jinki would put dumb hat after dumb hat on Key’s head, and he would keep letting it happen because Jinki would let out a big laugh and smile just for him. Stupid Onew, he thought, why do you have to be so happy and handsome.

 

“Key!” Onew called, “look at these glasses!” He pulled out sunglasses that had cat ears sticking out of them, and put them on his face.

 

Key just glared at Jinki, growing more and more upset, “stop it! stop being cute!” He stormed off into the crowd, looking for Minho or Jonghyun.

 

He found Jonghyun crying on a bench and let go of his anger. “Oh my god, are you okay?” he asked, going to the boy and wrapping his arms around him.

 

Jonghyun sniffled, “I should just go home.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Key rubbed Jonghyun’s arm, “why would you leave?”

 

“I’m just a nobody, I’m not important here, I don’t belong here,” he broke down sobbing.

 

Key pulled him close, “shhhh, don’t say that.” As Key was comforting him, Minho notice the two on the bench, and ran up, Taemin following. Key scooted to the side, and Minho grabbed Jonghyun. He picked him up and pulled the smaller man into a hug.

 

“Why are you crying?” he asked, squeezing him closer.

 

Jonghyun let the sobs shake from his body, “Minho I,” he couldn’t finish because he had no idea what he wanted to say. Minho I love you? Minho, I’m not allowed to love you? The whole time he saw Taemin watching them from behind Minho, his hands becoming fists. Jonghyun pulled out of the hug, “I’m fine,” he lied, “just a little home sick.”

 

Minho squinted his eyes as if he was trying to tell if Jonghyun was telling the truth or not, “fine,” he sighed, “lets just go bowling or something. I don’t want anyone to be sad.”

 

“Where’s Onew?” Jonghyun quietly asked Key.

 

“,” Key said, “I left him at the hat shop.. I’ll catch up with you guys once I’ve found him.”

 

Jonghyun smiled, he was happy to see that Key was at least willing to be with Onew.

 

“Lets go” Minho said, “Would you like to join us?” he asked Taemin more out of courtesy than anything.

 

Taemin nodded and then asked, “can I bring Kai?”

 

“Sure, the more the merrier,” Minho just smiled trying to keep everyone happy. That’s what Minho’s good for, Jonghyun thought, keeping everyone happy.

____________________

 

Author's Note: Hello everyone! sorry it took forever for me to update :( I kinda freaked out yesterday, and couldn't function very much, but I'm back! and I'm glad to be back! This ended up being a little bit longer than I was expecting, but yeah.. I'm glad we're learning more about how everyone fits in this story! I was working hard on trying to get more storyline here, and I think it worked! Thank you so much for reading! let me know what you think in the comments, I love getting feedback! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (´∇ノ`*)ノ