Why Did You Come?

Where Did You Come From?

The beginning of the next week went by uneventfully. On thursday, Jonghyun went to a local park, enjoying his freedom now that he had a cell phone. Whenever the boy left the dorm room, he would get periodic texts from Key and Minho, making sure he was okay, and checking up on where he was. After a while it seemed like the two were nagging him more than looking out for him, and he shut of his phone, enjoying the nature around him. Jonghyun sat on a bench and swung his feet. They didn’t have parks like this in the future. The parks that they had were indoors, and usually fabricated; none of this fresh air, outside atmosphere that 2014 had. He loved every second of it, watching the wind sweep through the trees, and hearing the kids playing nearby. He took a deep sigh and rested his head on the back of the bench, closing his eyes from the harsh sun. The idea of going home or staying seemed to be consuming his thoughts. He didn’t want to leave Minho, or rather his new friends behind, but he didn’t want his mother to worry too much about him either. Even though they had only talked the one time, Jonghyun knew that she was still worried and wanted him back. He got stuck on Minho. Why did he want to stay for him? Jonghyun was sure Minho’s life was just fine before he got here, and it would be fine if he went back, so why did he care so much?

 

His thoughts were interrupted by a shadow looming over him. He felt a soft tap on his shoulder. Jonghyun opened his eyes to be greeted by a dark silhouette. “I found you,” the figure said in a soft honey like voice.

 

Jonghyun immediately stood up, getting a full look at the person in front of him, “Holy , Jinki?”

 

Jinki smiled then frowned, “shh,” he cupped a hand on Jonghyun’s mouth, “call me Onew, I don’t want to break the fabric of time or something.”

 

Jonghyun pulled Jinki’s mouth from his hand, “Oh shut up. What are you doing here?” The shorter boy was surprised to see his friend from home. The two were practically brothers. They had grown up side by side, and knew everything about each other.

 

“Shouldn’t I be asking you the same thing?” Jinki asked, raising an eyebrow, “I’m here to save you, duh.”

 

“Who says I need saving?” Jonghyun asked, kicking at the dusty ground.

 

“Your mom mostly, but seriously Jonghyun. What do you think you’re doing here? We all miss you,” Jinki genuinely concerned for the boy’s well being, “where are you staying? are you getting enough food?”

 

“I’m staying with some people, it’s no big deal,” Jonghyun avoided eye contact. He didn’t want Jinki to see the despair in his eyes. He wanted so badly to stay, but he also wanted to go. He knew that Jinki would be able to read him like a book, and end up just bringing him home. But he knew he didn’t want to go home just yet.

 

“Well? Are you going to show me, or are we just going to sit in this park?” Jinki asked impatiently.

 

Jonghyun fumbled to get his phone out, “let me just see if anyone’s home.” He his phone and was greeted by a mess of text messages and missed calls.

 

(Jonghyun would like to add that he didn’t put the heart after Minho’s name, Minho did)

1:00 Minho ♥: What’s up?

1:05 Minho ♥: Jjong?

1:06 Minho ♥: Where are you?

1:10 Minho ♥: Seriously where are you?

1:10 Minho ♥: ???

1:10 Minho ♥: ?????????

1:20 Key: Minho told me to text you..

1:21 Key: Please come back so he’ll stop freaking out

1:30 Key: I’m serious Jonghyun, he won’t shut up.

 

Jonghyun just smiled to himself and sighed. “You have their phones?!” Jinki screeched, pulling Jonghyun out of his own happy world.

 

“Of course, how would I communicate with people?” Jonghyun was shocked by Jinki’s reaction, forgetting that he probably would have been the same way a week and a half ago.

 

Jonghyun ignored Jinki’s judgements and started to call Minho. He had barely put his ear up to the phone when Minho had answered, “where the hell have you been?” the boy asked on the other line.

 

“I’ve just been in the park, why are you freaking out?” Jonghyun was surprised by Minho’s concern. He didn’t seem like one that would care that much.

 

“Jonghyun, we got you the phone so that I could keep in touch with you while you’re out.” Minho sounded like he was trying to restrain his anger, but was failing miserably, “You could have died! You could have lost your memory again! You would have forgotten me!”

 

Jonghyun felt the tension on the phone when Minho paused. He wanted to tell Minho that he would never forget him, but the words just wouldn’t come out of his mouth. “Don’t be ridiculous, how could I lose my memory twice! Listen, I’m coming back and I’m bringing a friend. Is that okay?”

 

Minho sighed on the other line, “yeah, that’s fine I guess. Did you make a new friend?”

 

“No, he’s a friend from home, and he apparently came to find me,” Jonghyun tried to play up the memory loss facade a little bit more, hoping Minho wouldn’t think it was weird that he just happened to find Jinki.

 

After saying goodbye to Minho, Jonghyun pulled Jinki along to the dorm, explaining the situation to him as they went. His web of lies was going to get harder and harder to maintain now that there was someone else involved. He prayed that Jinki wouldn’t screw up what he already had going.

 

They arrived at the dorm, and Minho immediately answered the door after Jonghyun knocked. The taller boy hesitated, he wanted to hug Jonghyun so badly, but the presence of another person stopped him. “Hey,” he started awkwardly, “you must be Jonghyun’s friend.”

 

“This is J-” Jonghyun started, but Jinki quickly cut him off.

 

“Onew, I’m Onew.”

 

“Right,” Minho said, raising an eyebrow at the two, “Don’t tell me he lost his memory too..”

 

“No, no,” Jinki said, “I was actually coming to bring him home.”

 

Jonghyun blushed and looked at his feet, he didn’t want to see the look on Minho’s face. “Please, come in,” Minho said with a sombre tone letting in the two boys. Jonghyun felt Minho’s eyes following him into the room, and he didn’t want to meet them. There were so many things he wanted to say, but he didn’t feel like he could with Jinki around.

 

The three sat in Minho’s little living room in silence, no one daring to break it. Minho’s deep voice cut through it like a knife, “would you like something to drink?” He offered, trying to diffuse the awkward situation.

 

“Some water might be nice,” Jinki said, hoping to get Jonghyun alone for a bit. Minho quickly got up and went to fix some drinks, and Jinki then focused on the blonde. “You have to come back,” he whispered, “why do you want to stay here? Their technology is so outdated, and you’re smarter than practically everyone here, especially since you downloaded the new patch. Please come back with me.”

 

Jonghyun shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He didn’t know why he wanted to stay. He just knew that deep down he didn’t want to be anywhere else. The silence was suddenly broken by the door swinging open.

 

“This math teacher I swear to god!” Key entered complaining again, “does she realise just how many people failed this test? This doesn’t look bad for us, this looks bad for her”

 

He slammed down his books as Minho yelled from the other room. “You complain about the same thing every day Kibum! Just give it up!”

 

Key went to make a witty comeback when he noticed the new person in the room. “Minho?” he called to the boy in the next room, “who said we could have another pet?”

 

Jinki looked at him a little surprised, and the two made eye contact. Jonghyun noticed a slight shift in how the older boy was carrying himself. Jinki sat up in his seat, and tried to look a little more presentable.

 

Minho entered the room with a tray full of waters and lemonades. “That pet is here to take our pet away.”

 

Jinki quickly stopped Minho and said, “actually, I wouldn’t mind staying for a bit.”

 

Jonghyun gave him a sideways glance, and Jinki just shrugged in response.

_____________________

 

Author's Note: Soo new character! I had to get Jinki in here some how :P also, what is Jonghyun feeling? hmmmm, blossoming love?