Why Are You Here?

Where Did You Come From?

The sound was blaring, and Minho felt Jonghyun poking and prodding him under the covers to get him to turn off his alarm. Minho craned his neck to check the time on his clock, hitting the snooze button once he realised he had enough time to stay in bed before starting his day. The fingers that brushed against his skin were warm, and coaxed him back to sleep. “How did I get here?” Jonghyun quietly asked, wrapping his arms around the taller boy’s middle.

 

Minho wanted to keep Jonghyun there, hugging him close, but he knew this was wrong. He didn’t want to be accused of taking advantage of the smaller boy. He grabbed Jonghyun’s hands and pulled them off of his chest. “I was just helping you get warm,” he said coldly, starting to get out of the bed. Jonghyun grabbed at his shirt, almost asking him to stay, but Minho wouldn’t have it.

 

The taller boy went to the bathroom leaving Jonghyun in his bed. Jonghyun contemplated if he had done something wrong. Why was Minho acting so coldly when the night before he seemed happy embracing him? Jonghyun couldn’t help but think that he was in the wrong, feeling the now cold empty bed. He felt as though his body was finally adjusting to the world he was in. The sickness had fled, and his body clock was slowly lining up. He thought about what had happened over the past 24 hours. The fight between him and his parents, him stealing the only time traveling device in the house. It had been a hectic morning, and he knew that he had left out of spite.

 

The only issue was, he didn’t know how to get back, or if he could ever get back. He had learned enough history to cope with the change, he was obsessed with the early 2000s to the 2020s. Jonghyun was constantly listening to music from the time, or watching old shows, like “My Love From Another Star,” and “It’s Okay That’s Love.” Luckily he knew the most important rule for time travel, never tell anyone where you’re from. There was no telling how someone would respond, and how you would potentially change the future. Coming from the year 2775, almost everyone could time travel, he had even gone on some field trips into the past through school. If he had payed attention more, he would probably know exactly how to get back.

 

Minho came back, changed into a nice sweater and black jeans. “I’m going to class,” he said, interrupting Jonghyun’s thoughts, “There’s food in the fridge, let me know if you need anything. You have a phone right?” Jonghyun just blinked at him, “I’ll take that as a no.” Minho let out a long sigh, “I’ll set you up with a phone when I get back, so just stay here.” Jonghyun nodded, still remaining quiet. Minho was losing his patience, he wanted the boy to talk, “well I’ll be back in a couple of hours.”

 

Once Minho was gone, Jonghyun went through his clothes, trying to find something that would fit him. Sadly everything was a little too big. The pants were too long, the sleeves on the shirts went past his hands, and the shoes were a size or two too big. He wanted to go exploring while Minho was gone, but didn’t want to wear his dirty clothes from the night before. After playing with the clothes, he found a way to tuck in things and fold them to look presentable.

 

Shortly after, he off to the library, looking for the physical versions of all of the books he knew. He walked down the crowded book shelves, pulling copies of Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. He flipped through the pages, treating each book like an ancient relic. After reading through the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, he heard his phone ringing in his ear. That’s not possible, he thought, attempting to answer it, I didn’t think our phones worked between years unless you paid extra.

 

He answered with a quiet, “hello?”

 

“Oh my god, Jonggie?” he heard in his ear.

 

Jonghyun swallowed, “Mom?”

 

“Jonghyun! I thought I would never be able to talk to you again!”

 

The boy felt tears welling up in his eyes, “no mom, I’m fine.”

 

“Where did you go? What year are you in? Do you want us to come and get you?” His mom sounded frantic on the other line, she wanted to help but she didn’t want to be a burden. They actually hadn’t left on good terms, and Jonghyun felt she was trying to make up for that.

 

“Mom, I’m fine, really. And it’s 2014, I’ve made a friend here so it’ll be okay.” He didn’t want to admit that he didn’t know how to get back, especially because he didn’t want to go back right away. It was nice to know that he could still contact people from his time though, “how’s my roo?”

 

“Roo? She’s fine! I’m pretty sure she misses you though, please come back soon Jjong.” Jonghyun could hear the sadness in her voice, but he was aware that she knew that he needed this. He needed some time to himself, to find himself and grow as a person, and he knew he wouldn’t find that at home.

 

“I’ll get back when I can, but I should really go,” he said, remembering he was in a library. He was lucky it was pretty empty, his phone was embedded into his body, with an implant in his ears, and teeth. To the observer, it appeared as though he was talking to himself, when infact he was holding a conversation that only he could hear. “People will start giving me funny looks soon.”

 

They said their short goodbyes and Jonghyun went back to reading, only to be interrupted by the sound of books landing on the desk next to him. He looked up to meet eyes with Key, “What are you doing here?”

 

“I wanted to read,” he said looking down at the books Key had brought with him, “you should really be more careful with your books, they’re very special.”

 

“Special? Please, with how much money I spend to go here, I’m pretty sure they can replace these in a heart beat.”

 

Jonghyun frowned at him, “how much does school cost?”

 

“7 million won,” He said, “a year.”

 

“A year?!” Jonghyun had to stop himself from yelling, “schooling is free where I come from.”

 

“What sort of utopia do you live in?”

 

“It’s not exactly a utopia, there are still issues with the free schooling system, especially since the government is constantly raising, but then we don’t see results from what we pay..” Jonghyun continued talking about the political system from the future until Key cut him off.

 

“Any way, Minho think’s you’re dead so we should go back to the room,” Key said grabbing Jonghyun’s arm and pulling him to leave.

 

“Wait, wait, wait,” Jonghyun said, resisting Key’s pull, “can I at least get this book?”

 

Key rolled his eyes, “fine, use my card to check it out.”

 

The arrived back at the dorm room, greeted by an exasperated Minho, “what were you doing?” Minho asked, seeing Jonghyun with his arms full of books, and wearing his clothes.

 

Jonghyun shifted nervously, “I just wanted some books to read, so I went to the library and then I..” He was cut off by Minho wrapping his arms around the smaller boy. Jonghyun blushed, and just quietly said, “I’m sorry.”

 

Minho squeezed a little tighter and whispered back, “I know.” After they broke away from each other Minho looked Jonghyun up and down noticing his clothes. “When we get you a phone, we’ll need to get you some clothes too.”

 

“But I like wearing your clothes!” Jonghyun pouted, folding his arms, his rolled up sleeves falling a little bit until the were covering his hands.

 

“You’re cute, but I like wearing my clothes too,” Minho said ruffling the boy’s hair.

 

Jonghyun blushed, “you think I’m cute?”

 

Minho gave him a light tap on the head, “don’t be stupid.”

 

“Let’s go to lunch,” Key complained, “I’m starving.”

 

They left, Jonghyun happily trailing behind the two, still giddy about the new found knowledge.

__________________

 

Author's Note: Hey guys! How do you think I'm doing? Everything still good? Is there anything you want to see? Any thing you want to know? Just let me know!!