Where Have You Been?

Where Did You Come From?

Jonghyun was following Jinki as he walked through the more familiar landscape of flying cars and plastic trees. They were walking through people, busy with their own lives. The two had just appeared on the busy street, having traveled back to their own time. “Jinki, we can’t do this,” Jonghyun called after him. “We left too much behind, there are too many loose ends. Don’t you want to know what happens next?”

 

“I don’t care,” Jinki called back, “I’m doing what I went there to do. Bringing you back to your mom.” Jonghyun saw Jinki was getting ready to call his mom when he grabbed the older boy’s shoulder.

 

“Don’t do this Jinki,” he said, turning him around. “Please don’t do this. You’re overreacting.”

 

“No I’m not,” he said, “Key won’t even look at me.”

 

Jonghyun was so mad, why was Jinki being like this? he never overreacted in this way. “Jinki please, Key likes you, I know he does.” This was so childish, he knew it was.

 

“He got mad at me because I was cute Jonghyun,” Jinki told him this with the most serious expression on his face.

 

Jonghyun burst out laughing, “You really think that he hates you?”

 

Jinki looked offended, “well yeah?”

 

“Oh my god, I can’t believe how idiotic you are!” Jonghyun started to pull Jinki along, “we’re going back.”

 

The older boy pulled back in protest, “we’re going to your mom.”

 

“Jinki,” Jonghyun forced him to look into his eyes, “this isn’t going to be easy, you know it isn’t, but you know that if we go to my mom we’ll never be able to go back, and we’ll be left thinking of what could have been.”

 

Jinki opened his mouth to speak when Jonghyun felt his phone in his pocket buzz. Such an alien thing a couple of weeks ago had become his assurance of Minho’s presence. He picked up the phone, not expecting it to work.

 

“Hello?” he asked, noticing that he was getting looks from people. Jinki and Minho ducked into a cafe, and into the bathroom.

 

“Where the hell did you go? we’ve been worried sick and it took us forever to actually contact you!” Key was on the other line.

 

“We were just taking some time to ourselves, seeing if we should go home or not.” Jonghyun lied. Telling them they were at home would just make the situation worse.

 

“Taking time to yourselves?!” he heard Minho pipe in, “Kim Jonghyun, it’s been two days. We’ve been worried sick! You could have died! You could have gotten sick! You could have lost your memory again!”

 

Jonghyun had forgotten about the time difference. While cell phones work between the years, you never knew what time it was in that other time. They could get phone calls in seemingly seconds, but it had actually been three years.

 

“Don’t worry, we’re coming back, it’s taking a little longer than we expected.” Jonghyun assured them. “Tell me what you like about Onew, Key.” Jonghyun put the phone on speaker so that Jinki could hear.

 

They felt a hesitation from the other side. Key didn’t know how to respond at first, but then Minho nudged him to encourage him, “I hate his stupid smile, and how he can always make me laugh. He’s so damn cute it makes me mad. I’m constantly between wanting to punch him, and wanting to kiss him.”

 

Jonghyun watched Jinki’s face as it turned into brighter and brighter shades of crimson. He put the phone back to his ear and just said, “oh, we’ll be back soon.”

 

While they were home, they thought that they might as well transfer some money into the old fashioned credit card system. Jonghyun was tired of not being able to buy stuff and feeling guilty. Despite being at home, both of the boys were anxious to leave. Jonghyun wanted to get back before they got a phone call that was more than just a few days after they had left. There were horror stories of people who had come back and got phone calls throughout the day they returned. Each phone call was years apart in the other person’s timeline, and most of them were asking why they didn’t come back. These time travelers ended up listening to the other persons life until the phone calls stopped, and they knew they were dead. Jonghyun couldn’t imagine what it would be like to experience someone else's life like that. He didn’t want to hear Minho grow old and die on the other line, he didn’t think he could handle that emotionally.

 

The two boys were set to travel back, and luckily Jinki was better at working the time machine than Jonghyun. Time machines were little digital watches. You set the date that you wanted to go to, and the year, and it would take you. They had a chameleon aspect to them where they would blend in with the given surroundings. This setting was useful, but also made things difficult. You never knew what it would turn into, so it was easy to lose, there were people working on fixing this design flaw, but they hadn’t succeeded just yet.

 

They landed in a different part of town than where they had left off. It was day time now, and they couldn’t tell where they were. People were walking by, ignoring the two boys. Jonghyun immediately pulled out his phone and texted Minho.

 

Minho ♥: We’re back, but we’re lost.

 

He saw Minho start to text back, but then stop. Next thing he knew he was getting a phone call.

 

“Hey Minho, yeah, we’re in the center of town somewhere.”

 

It sounded as though Minho was crying on the other line, “where,” was all he managed to say.

 

Jonghyun felt himself tearing up, “I don’t know,” he whispered back.

 

Jinki grabbed the phone, “there’s a church across the street from us, and a starbucks next to it. Does that help?”

 

“I’m on my way,” Minho said.

 

Minho grabbed Key, and the two of them went into the center of the city, looking for Jonghyun and Jinki. They didn’t want to talk to each other about it, they were both too worried about them. Minho led them to every church he could think of, not finding a starbucks next to any of them. Minho quickened his pace, pulling Key along. “Minho!” Key called to the taller boy, “Minho, they’re not here. We’ve looked as much as we can.”

 

Minho wouldn’t stop, he kept pulling Key to every starbucks in town, hoping to see Jonghyun’s blonde head, hoping to see Jinki’s smile, hoping to see any sign of the two. He got to a church with a starbucks near by, and broke down crying on the front steps. “Why,” Minho sobbed, “why aren’t they here? It’s been a month, how could they be gone for a month.” He looked up at Key through tear filled eyes, distorting the boy’s features.

 

Key tried to stop himself from crying as he sat down to put an arm around the boy. “I don’t know, but at least we know they’re here.” He held Minho close. Key knew that Minho could be emotional, but he had never seen the boy like this.

 

Jonghyun and Jinki were looking for the two boys along the street they were standing on. Sadly it was rush hour, and the pavement was full of people. Through the masses they couldn’t find anyone they recognised. The two were so overwhelmed, they went into starbucks just to clear their heads.

 

They stepped out moments later with coffee cups in hand. Jonghyun looked to the left and saw Key and Minho huddled on the church steps. “Minho!” he called after them, not getting the attention of the two boys. Jonghyun ran up the steps, and pulled Minho’s head out of where it was buried in his arms.

 

Minho looked up with tear streaked cheeks, “Jonghyun,” he whispered, “it’s been a month, where-”

 

Jonghyun grabbed his chin and cut him off, pressing his lips onto Minho’s. Minho melted under his lips, he wasn’t expecting the sudden intimacy, and he almost fainted at the touch. When Jonghyun pulled out of the kiss, he looked at Minho with half lidded eyes, “I’ve been waiting to do that for so long.”

 

Minho wrapped his arms around Jonghyun’s neck, pulling him in for another slow kiss, “I’ve been waiting forever for you.”

________________

 

Author's Note: IT'S SO CHEESY I'M SORRY! (T^T) but it had to happen, I mean we all saw it coming...

But yes! it's the most important scene! the first kiss!!!! Now where do we go from here..... hm. I'll come up with something!