And Your Name Is?

Where Did You Come From?

“Excuse me, can I help you?” Minho asked the shorter boy that seemed fascinated by his cellphone. Minho was face to face, or rather face to forehead with a blonde wearing too many layers and a black snapback. The boy was in complete contrast to Minho’s simple style. Minho was mostly shocked as to where the boy came from. Most people were in class right now, so campus was empty, and he swore he didn’t see anyone coming towards him.

 

“Oh my god, I’ve only seen those in movies and stuff. That’s so cool and old fashioned.” The short blonde was suddenly grabbing at the taller boy’s phone, only getting distracted by the car that drove by. “Oh my god, you have those too?!”

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” Minho asked, wondering why an old model of a Kia Soul was so interesting. “Listen, do you need help? did you get lost? Are you from a different planet!?”

 

The shorter boy scoffed, “another planet? Do you I look rich to you? Living on mars is expensive, only movie stars and stuff live there right now.” He paused, and the taller boy just gave him a dumbfounded look. “Oh ,” he whispered, “, people don’t go to mars for another couple hundred years.”

 

“Okay, now I really think you need help,” Minho said, holding his hand up to the boy’s forehead. “You’re lucky I don’t have class right now.”

 

“Oh, you’re a student? are we at a college?” The boy was giddy, taking in his surroundings. They were standing outside of the school library in the quad surrounded by various academic buildings.

 

“You must be a lunatic, or you’re really sick,” Minho sympathised.

 

“What?” the boy said putting his own hand on his forehead. “No, I can’t be sick! When I left I was completely fine! Maybe traveling makes people sick..” The blonde seemed lost in thought.

 

Minho sighed, losing his patience, “we could maybe start with your name and then go from there?”

 

“Oh, where are my manners!” The boy said ing out his hand for a handshake, but then quickly pulling it back and then putting it out for what Minho assumed was a high five, “I’m Jonghyun, but you can call me Jjong.”

 

“Sounds good to me,” he said slapping the boy’s hand, “and I’m Minho. This is the weirdest introduction I’ve ever gotten to be apart of. Except maybe when I met my step aunt” The tall boy laughed.

 

“, did I do it wrong?” he asked frantically, “was the other way better? I can’t believe you people still do this stuff. We haven’t done this for years.” He then returned his hand to ask for a handshake.

 

Minho declined, chuckling, “the high five was just fine.”

 

“Woah!” Jonghyun sounded amazed when he looked at the watch on Minho’s wrist. “Is this real, like with all the gears inside and everything?”

 

“It’s an analog watch, if that’s what you’re asking,” Minho said, enjoying showing off wrist.

 

“I’ve only ever seen these in museums! Oh my god, yours ticks too!” He held Minho’s wrist to his ear. The boy then quickly changed subjects, “Hey, do you know of someplace I could stay? I kind of went on this trip as a last minute thing, and forgot to convert my money before I came.”

 

Minho was slightly shocked by the question, “What, you want to stay with me?”

 

“Where else would I stay? You’re the first person I saw, and if I remember correctly from the show’s I’ve watched, that means that I get to stay with you from now on.” Jjong said looking down and playing with hands.

 

The taller boy burst out laughing, “how many kdrama’s have you watched man?”

 

Jonghyun blushed, “I just really like this culture okay?”

 

“What, Korean culture? I knew you were a foreigner! So where are you from, somewhere beautiful like France?” Minho asked excitedly

 

Jonghyun laughed, “What are you talking about? I’ve never left Korea in my life!”

 

“Then what were you saying about culture?” confused, the shorter boy grabbed Minho by the hand and started pulling him into the library and muttering something about seeing real books that he could touch.

 

 

 

The two quietly walked through the shelves. The taller boy following as Jonghyun scanned the shelves for nothing in particular. “Do you see this?” the boy said pulling out an old copy of some shakespeare, “this guy is famous.”

 

Minho rolled his eyes, “of course he’s famous! He wrote some of the best plays in the world.”

 

“Wait, he isn’t alive?” The boy looked devastated.

 

“I’m pretty sure he died 400 years ago.” Minho responded curtly

 

Jonghyun frowned, “400 years? that’s not too long ago..”

 

“What strange planet do you come from?” Minho asked, trying hard not to raise his voice. They were in a library after all. The shorter boy was starting to get on his nerves. Why were everyday things so fascinating, where had he come from, and why did he insist on dragging Minho along. “You’re not a psychopath are you?”

 

“Psychopath? Aren’t those murderers? I don’t think I’m a murderer,” the boy shrugged, “I mean I used to kill bugs at home, but they were asking for it.”

 

“Alright that’s it, I’m tired of playing your games,” Minho said grabbing the boy’s arm. “You have two options, we go to a hospital or we go to a police department, or you tell me what the hell is wrong with you.” Minho was tired of confusing answers, this kid was all over the place! Nothing he said made any coherent sense.

 

“Wait, wait, I can explain,” Jonghyun said pulling out of his grasp. “I’m, um..” The boy started to look about him as if the books would give him an answer, “I have.. Hmm..”

 

Minho tapped his foot impatiently, “just spit it out Jjong!” he said a little too loudly, getting shushed by the librarian.

 

“I have memory loss! That’s it, memory loss! I don’t remember really where I came from, all I know is that I’m here, and I need help.” The shorter boy looked so proud of himself for coming up with the term “memory loss.”

 

Minho rolled his eyes, “classic, are you sure?”

 

“How could I not be sure? I might have short term memory loss too considering I couldn’t remember the word memory loss..” Jonghyun said biting his lip.

 

“Well how did it happen? Did you hit your head or something?”

 

Jonghyun quickly panicked, he hadn’t thought this far ahead, “um, I was walking and a book fell on my head out of nowhere, and when I finally got up I was here, at this school, and I don’t remember anything.”

 

Minho contemplated the boy’s story. “Sounds reasonable enough to me, I’ll let you stay with me for a few days, but I think we should bring you to a hospital first. I want to make sure you don’t have a concussion or anything.”

 

“No!” Jonghyun almost yelled, receiving another warning from the librarian, “I can’t go to hospitals.”

 

Minho gave him a sideways glance, “you’re not helping my alien theory at all are you.”

 

“Just trust me on this one, I don’t have a concussion. If I did I would be throwing up everywhere by now.”

 

Minho sighed, “why did I sign up for this?” he whispered under his breath. It’s not like I had a choice, he thought, there’s really no where else for him to go, and I feel bad.

 

“Okay Jjong, are you hungry?” Minho offered.

 

“Oh man am I! Can we have a burger? I’ve never had one before.” The boy looked at Minho with wonder.

 

Minho chuckled, “or at least you don’t remember having one.” Minho still thought something was suspicious, but he decided to go along with it for now. Who knows, this might get fun later, and there was no denying that the short boy was cute.