Chapter 02.

Waiting for that Someday

 

"So, have you decided on which club you want to join in?" Haera nudged my arm.

 

"Club?" I stopped writing and stared at her.

 

"Yeah, club. We were supposed to pick a club after summer vacation remember?"

 

"Oh right, yeah. Well..Haera, after my cat died..i kind of lost track of everything" I told her.

 

"I'm still very sorry for your loss Saera" She rubbed my arm.

 

"It's okay, its just that the pain is still quite raw and it's hard not to think about when each time i get back home, i see each and every corners of where he used to sleep at" I sighed.

 

"I know that losing the one you love is hard but i don't want you to grief so hard on it that you lost track of your own self" She looked at me worriedly.

 

"I'll try, it just takes time" I assured her.

 

"Very well, now..are you going to pick any club?"

 

"I don't know, what about you?"

 

"I thought maybe i might try the drama club, it seems exciting!" She grinned.

 

"Drama? That seems to suit you" I told her.

 

"Right? Hey, you should join the book club or the newspaper commitee" She slung her arm around me.

 

"Hey guys" I looked up and right infront of us was Minah. "Mind if i join you guys?"

 

"Oh sure" Haera began clearing up her books and files to make space for Minah.

 

"So..what are you guys up to?" asked Minah.

 

"Nothing, just wasting our time till the next lecture which is like in an hour" Haera told her.

 

"Minah...can i ask you something?" I asked.

 

"Yeah sure" She smiled.

 

"The guy who you ate lunch with yesterday.." I stopped abruptly because i didn't know what else to say.

 

"Oh you mean Jongin? He's my boyfriend, we have been dating since beginning of middle school, he's majoring in music and dance, he goes to school here though don't you guys know him?" Haera and i both just shook our heads.

 

"Hold on, did you say music and dance?" I asked as Minah nodded her head. "How is that possible?"

 

"I'm sorry?" Minah looks confused.

 

"He..he can't hear right?"

 

"Y-yeah.." she looked at me strangely. "i thought you don't know him"

 

I blinked my eyes rapidly, "i..well..i met him the other day at the store"

 

"Ahh..so that's when you found out he's hearing impaired, but don't let his disability fool you because despite being unable to hear things, he does really well in making music and especially in his dancing" She smiled at the last part.

 

"He doesn't seemed deaf when i saw the two of you talking" Haera said.

 

"You can't always judge a book by its cover right?" Minah's smile faded alittle.

 

"I'm sorry, i didn't mean to sound ignorant or anything" Haera grabbed her hand.

 

"It's okay, this isn't the first time someone said that about him anyway"

 

"So he can talk?" I asked, curious.

 

Minah gave me a nod. "Yes, he can but he doesn't usually use his voice unless necessary"

 

"I see.." So i guess the other day, i wasn't that necessary for him to voice out anything.

 

I looked down at my watch and class is starting in 10 minutes. "Class is starting, we got to move now" i told the both of them.

 

"Right, let's go" Haera replied and the three of us left the spot to walk over to class.

 

..

"Minah! Would you like to hitch a ride with us? I can drive you home" Haera suggested.

 

"Sure, Jongin has something on with his dance class anyway and thanks" Minah grinned.

 

"Haera? I realized i forgot something, you guys go ahead. I need to run some errand for Mr...Mr Lee" I told them in a hurry.

 

"Huh? Mr Lee? Wha-" But i had already walked off, far away from the two of them.

 

I don't know why but i was intrigued by him. By him, that only means i am referring to Jongin. I know i only met him once and even then all we ever did was exchanged "i'm sorry" and that's it but i wanted to know more about him.

 

I once had a friend back in middle school. She was similar to Jongin, she was unable to hear too but she managed to overcome every single obstacles that she faces. Although, there was only one thing i couldn't get out of her which was to listen to how her voice was like.

 

Throughout the years i spent with her in middle school, i've never heard her say a single word. She doesn't use her hands to sign out what she wanted to say instead she always uses her pen and her notebook to write out the things she wanted to convey to us.

 

Suddenly i missed her, she was a really nice friend, someone you could share all your problems with and she will be there to help you go through it even though sometimes its out of reach to help but we didn't get the chance to bond even more because right before we move on to high school, she left the country to study overseas and her parents weren't exactly the nice and friendly type.

 

I was so deep into my thoughts that i didn't realized that i was walking by the dance studio. I stood still and took a peep if anyone was in. The room must have been soundproofed as i couldn't hear any music from the outside. Even the glass windows were quite tinted which was hard to take a look inside.

 

I decided to go in, so i pushed open the door gently and let myself in. Once i was in, i was greeted with a really loud music with a loud bass. The lights were quite dim and i couldn't really make out anyone in the room if there were anyone in it. "Hello?" I called out.

 

No one answered and then i noticed a figure, moving along to the beat of the music. I squinted my eyes to make out who the person was but deep down inside me, i already seemed to know who that person was. I was about to tiptoed my way past but then i realized he couldn't hear me. I could jump and make as much noise as i can but he still wouldn't be able to hear me.

 

I took a seat by the corner of the room and watched him dance his heart out. He really was a great dancer, the amount of effort he put in despite this only being a warm-up or practice and not an actual competition or anything. The way he moves his body to the rhythm was what had captured my full attention. He couldn't hear what the song was playing but how could he dance to it so fluidly?

 

I waited.

 

Finally, the music stopped and he too stopped dancing. He was bending over, trying to catch his breath. I stayed seated down to the ground as i watch him walked over to the side and switched on the lights.

 

I got to leave now.

 

When i saw that his back was facing towards me, i quickly got to my feet and rushed to the door but well that didn't go on as planned because when i tried to pushed the door opened, it wouldn't even budged.  I tried with all my might to push the door but it still wouldn't open.

 

So i took a deep breath in before letting it out and turned my whole body around to face him, feeling every ounce of awkwardness. "Hi" I managed to let out as my eyes made contact with his.

 

His eyes cast down to the ground and i could see one end of his lips lifting up. "I'm sorry that i..well creeped inside while you were dancing" I told him and only to remember that he couldn't hear me.

 

So i just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. Then he looked up and motioned me to walk over to him with his hand. I slowly made my way to him, with my arms wrapped around my waist. "I just..i'm sorry if i just so happened to be here, i don't know why i was here but well my legs just brought me here"

 

He was watching my lips as i spoke. His eyes started twitching and then he turned around to grabbed something, his phone. He pointed to his phone and then mouthed the word "number".

 

"You want my number?" I asked and he gave me a nod. 

 

"Why will you want my..Oh okay," I pulled one of my backpack's straps down and took out my phone before passing it to him.

 

A while later, i received a text message from him.

 

From : Kim Jongin

- Hi, we met before haven't we? But i've never gotten to catch your name.. I'm Jongin, Kim Jongin-

 

I looked up from my phone and he was staring back at me, this feels like the time at the store when i turned around to looked at him, he was already looking at me. My cheeks were starting to heat up and once again i brushed away whatever feeling i was currently feeling which was mostly how awkward and shy i was feeling this moment right now.

 

From : Jung Saera 

-I'm Saera, Jung Saera, yeah we met before by the store two days ago-

 

From : Kim Jongin

-Hi there Saera, nice meeting you and oh yeah, now i remember! So what are you doing here? Peeping on me?-

 

I looked up and he was smiling down at me.

 

From : Jung Saera

-Can i ask you something?-

 

From : Kim Jongin

-Ask away-

 

From : Jung Saera

-How is it possible? It intrigues me that you can dance so well without hearing a single beat of the music-

 

I didn't want to look up and then i saw his shoe right infront of mine. He grabbed my arm and pulled me along with him to the stereo. He placed one of my hands on it and then he went over to the music player to switch it on before placing one of his hands over mine. My phone vibrated on my free hand, a text message from him.

 

From : Kim Jongin

-Can you feel the bass of the music?-

 

I nodded my head.

 

From : Kim Jongin

-I can feel it too, each song i danced to, i memorized the beat and the bass of the song and that's how i managed to dance to its rhythm-

 

"You are awesome" I told him and since he could read my lips, he gave me a very shy smile as he rubbed the back of his neck and then went back to typing on his phone.

 

Another text message,

 

From : Kim Jongin

-You still haven't told me what you doing here?-

 

From : Jung Saera

-I wasn't stalking you, i was just wondering how can a person like you do something that others like you can't do-

 

From : Kim Jongin

- Well, you can't judge a book by its cover right?-

 

I looked up and realized that he was already walking over to where his bag was. I switched off the music player and made my way towards him. He pulled onto the straps of his bag and turned around to face me. "Where you going?"

 

From : Kim Jongin

-Home-

 

From : Jung Saera

-So fast?-

 

He wasn't smiling anymore instead what had replaced that smile of his was just a blank stare.

 

From : Jung Saera

-Did i say something wrong?-

 

He didn't replied and walked over to the door, leaving me standing there all by myself.