04

Foul For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun

 

Like a stranger looking in through the glass, I watched as my best friend fell in love with the giant that autumn day. If I had looked close enough, I would’ve seen the stars and the sun in her eyes, as well as the sparks and fireworks in his. This was different, I could tell. This giant was going to be different from all the others. This one was going to be her match; her person; her last.

 

(And I didn’t know why, but that made me feel a little out of sorts).

 

Watching them made me think back to the café, and the girl that dulled out everything else. All I knew was that one moment I was looking at the front of the queue, and the next, my eyes were pulled in another direction as she passed. Long black locks and a denim shirt was all that I could see, but that was enough to fill my mind and invade my thoughts. The lingering scent of pearl orchids and pink currant was all there was left of her, and I tried to commit every single observation to memory.  She left and all I could do was stare down at my hands, trying to figure out when I could see her again.

 

So, grabbing my coat, I walked out of the office just as lunch break rolled around, with only one destination in mind. (The café didn’t have much selection of lunch items, but it’ll have to do). The engine hummed to life, and I was on my way down the road. I was nervous, and my sweaty palms were a testament to that. If that brat were here, she’d start scolding me for dirtying the environment with my, in her words, “nasty bodily secretion”. The thought and her voice ringing in my head induced a chuckle that calmed me down significantly. I guess the brat is good for something, after all. Soon enough, the settlement came into view as I turned down the familiar street.

 

The café didn’t seem very crowded, which relieved me slightly. Cutting off the power, I stepped out and patted down my coat, smoothening out the creases and aligning my tie once more. As I entered the store, my eyes immediately scanned the area, looking for those same long black locks. But I felt myself deflate when she was nowhere in sight. With slow steps, I neared the closest available table and sank down onto the chair. So this was what disappointment felt like. I was hoping, banking on the possibility that she might frequent the café. Maybe this was a sign. Maybe the universe was telling me to give this one a pass.

 

But why was my heart telling me something else?

 

Eventually getting over my pathetic state, I got up and ordered a plate of lasagna. Tapping my fingers against the wood of the counter, I waited for my order as the employee went back into the kitchen and flurried about. I leaned my head against my palm and retreated back into the depths of my mind. Maybe it just wasn’t the right time. Yeah, that’s it. I was being abrasive, and deliberately fighting against fate, which is definitely a no-no. I’ll see her again. If fate allows it, and if what I felt that day truly was what I thought it was. And if she really was who I thought could be my—

 

“I’m here! The bus broke down on the way and I had to run seven blocks to get here!”

 

My blood froze and I was immobile as the voice spoke out from beside me. Before my eyes could turn towards the voice, the familiar scents caressed my nose and I had to stop myself from breaking out into a wide grin.

 

It was her.

 

Like a scene from those cheesy romantic movies the brat liked to torture herself with, time seemed to move at a slug’s pace, as I turned slowly to face her, and she to me. When we finally met eyes, it felt like the hummingbird within the cages of my heart was finally let loose and began causing chaos in my chest. I took in every feature of her face, trailing my eyes slowly down from her pitch black hair down to her eyes, nose and finally her lips. I may have gaped at her, maybe even drooled, but I will not confirm that statement because that would make me sound like a kid who stumbled upon his first ever magazine for the first time. Also, that’s just creepy.

 

“Um, sir, your order?”

 

Her sweet voice broke me out from my thoughts that belonged in the gutter. It was then that I realised the warm vapour rising from the plate that began condensing on the underside of my chin. Wiping the sheen of condensed liquid under my chin, I scratched the back of my neck as my cheeks began feeling warm. Was I blushing? Damn it, Baekhyun, act cool.

 

“Oh, yeah,” I picked up my plate and turned towards my table, only to twist back to face her. “Do you work here?” She smiled at my choice of a conversation starter and nodded. “I work here part-time,” she spoke before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter