Chapter Eight

No Rest For The Wicked

Eun-Mi decided to stay in for a day. Sure, she had loads of things to do in class but Min-Young protested. 

'Relax for a day or two,' she'd say. Eun-Mi was a bit relieved. Maybe she'll use her time to enjoy being alone. And maybe she wouldn't catch an eye contact with Mark. Heck, she didn't want to see him. When she woke up that night, he was screaming murder. 

And besides, going to class means people asking her about Mark. I mean, why not pick on the only girl in the boys' lounge who also lives beside a crazy lunatic. What a description.

She was expecting Jae-Bum to stop by. She had seen the look on his face when she started crying. Concerned, worried, anxious. And he might stop by to talk about homework and whatnot. Eun-Mi sighed at the thought.

Eun-Mi was wearing a green turtleneck sweater and a pair of shorts. Her long hair brushed against her shoulders and her hand was playing with it, twirling it around. She was sitting on the carpet, probably caught in a reverie. 

The only reason why she woke up, frightened, was because she had second thoughts about Mark. What if he wasn't there to 'protect' her or whatsoever, what if he was there to destroy her. And Eun-Mi thought about how naive she was the moment Mark talked about him being able to see ghosts.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, she thought, knocking her head with closed eyes.

But then again, he might've been misunderstood. Somehow she couldn't read him. What type of person is he?

For a while he's smiling and then the next, he's holding a knife to create massive cuts. What Mark did when she was banished in her dreamland might've been the reason why she couldn't trust him. For two days straight, something happens in the night and some sort of demonic ritual might've been performed. 

But he seemed to have trust her. He told her what he could do and he showed her. He protected her.

But then again, she sensed pure evil in him. 

Yet, that couldn't be proven.

 

Mark didn't have to see Mr. Jo that day and he was too lazy to go to class. He was still thinking about Eun-Mi. She's probably in class.

He was sitting on the floor again, staring into space. 

Not until he heard a knock on the door. He lazily groaned and pushed himself towards the door. When he opened it, Eun-Mi stood there. 

Sure she was crazy to do so but he might've been misunderstood.

He stared at her, wide-eyed. ‘Hi,’ he said, nervously. She tried smiling sweetly but it didn't show up. 

‘Hey, um,’ she bit her bottom lip and blinked a few times. She raised her head, blowing her side bangs away, looking anywhere but his eyes.

‘Are you okay?’ She stepped inside the room and walked passed Mark without permission or whatsoever.

Mark didn't seem to notice that someone was stepping into his territory. ‘Honestly, no,’ he shook his head and closed the door, turning around to look at what Eun-Mi was doing.

She had her waist against his desk, her hands gripped the edges. He swallowed his spit and exhaled, at this point, he knew his shyness got the better of him. How was Eun-Mi okay with all the ruckus that happened that night. He raised a brow at the thought of him not really thinking much about the creature that tried attacking him. He should be preparing all sorts of weapons or something. 

Yet here he was, talking to the first girl who ever cared for him. Or so he thought.

‘What happened last night? I woke up because of the screams actually..’ She sighed.

Mark took it as a personal offence. He was only trying to save himself, right?

He clenched his teeth, but he held it back once he did. He thought maybe he should tell the truth since he already told her about that red book creature, ‘Something appeared,’ 

Eun-Mi raised a brow and tapped her fingers against the desk. Then she pushed herself up on the desk and sat down on it. ‘Like what?

He sighed, walking towards the edge of his bed. 

And once he did, he stared at her who sat in front of him. ‘I don't know. But I was having nightmares that night. Probably just the aftermath of having nightmares,

‘I don't believe you,’ she said.

Mark looked away, not saying anything. To break the silence, Eun-Mi said, ‘I mean I do but I just think something was out there to get you. You were screaming like... The devil's finally got you and..’ 

He smiled, ‘He's got me, alright,’ 

Eun-Mi rolled her eyes and swung her feet back and forth in a slow pace. 

‘So something did happen right?

‘I rather not say,’ 

Eun-Mi's lips created a straight line and she hopped off his desk. ‘You know, I had this friend. My best friend, actually. She's no longer in touch. But I still remember when we were in high school, she used to get so.. Sad all the time,’ 

‘What happened?

Eun-Mi walked towards his bed and gave him a look.

‘She tried killing herself. She thought it was the right thing to do. She overdosed on sleeping pills and if her mom didn't check on her that night, she would've been dead by now,’ 

She pushed her hair back, rubbing her neck. 

‘But she stopped because of music or whatever. It's her passion and she listens to these... odd songs. And I guess that kept her alive. Music.

Mark said nothing. He pitied the girl.

‘And remember when I told you.. You look better when you smile?

He nodded, staring into space.

‘Well, I decided to give you this. I mean, we'll just share it for now.’ She took out her iPod and gave him a piece of earbud.

He took one and placed one in his ear. Eun-Mi did the same too.

And they spent all day listening to music. 


“I've been thinking 'bout you, so how could you sleep”
— Thinking of You by Radiohead