Chapter Four

No Rest For The Wicked

Mark stopped walking. He had a feeling in his gut that something was around. He looked around the empty hall, glanced at each door. 

He shook it off and passed several doors to enter his bedroom. But that was when he heard footsteps.

‘Is anybody behind me?’ He said, loud enough for the hall to release echos. When nobody answered, he turned around. There was nobody there. He laughed a bit, knowing that it might just appear before him if he turns around again. ‘You know you can't scare me, and you know that too,

He sighed and turned around anyway.

When there was nothing there, he headed for his room. Just as his hand grabbed hold of the door knob, the door beside him flew open. He was planning to barge in his room but he somehow couldn't.

‘Oh hey, neighbour. I think I've seen you before,’ the girl baffled. He raised a brow. ‘I'm sorry but I don't seem to remember,’ he replied.

She rolled her eyes and held out her hand. ‘I'm Mina by the way. I'm the bestfriend of the girl who lives here—’ She waved her hand at the door behind her. She looked at him from head to toe. ‘And you are..?’

‘Mark.’ He stated before twisting the door knob, not opening it just yet.

‘What is a girl doing in the boys' lounge?’ He asked, twitching his eyes. She shrugged. 

Just as he was about to enter his room, the door beside him once again flew open. ‘Who are you talking to?’ A voice said. He looked at who it was with his eyes wide. 

It wasn't the girl that shocked him but the thing behind her did.

‘Oh..’ The girl said. Mina raised a brow. ‘Oh right, this is Mark. Wow you guys, I'm surprised you haven't met. But all's forgiven since this is the first day.’ 

‘Mark, Eun-Mi. Eun-Mi, Mark.’ She continued, smiling. Eun-Mi shifted uncomfortably at the doorway, grasping the door knob. He made eye-contact with the pale being behind her. It was smirking at him, it's eyes were really round and the only color in it's eye was black. It was wearing a cloak and it's hand was clutching Eun-Mi's shoulder. 

Mark closed his eyes before shouting, ‘Go away!

Then all was silent. Eun-Mi was quite shock, frightened. Mina furrowed her eyebrows. Then, a few people came out their rooms just to see what happened.

Mark opened his eyes with tears in his eyes, looking around him. Then he quickly went into his room, leaving Mina and Eun-Mi and the rest of the people outside their rooms confused.

 

Eun-Mi couldn't sleep that night. 

Min-Young slept peacefully though. 

Eun-Mi wondered if Min-Young could hear those murmurings coming from the other room. It was calm at first, the sound. But as soon as Eun-Mi paid attention to it, it became louder and louder. She panicked.

The voice was unclear but it was deep and she had a bad feeling about it. She decided to sleep through it.

It wasn't easy as it sounds. But then, she remembered Jackson. She remembered Jackson telling her to not knock on anyone's door at this hour unless in serious trouble. She was too scared to think so she sprinted out of the door, knocked on someone's door (she didn't know his room number) and waited, pressing both hands against her ears.

She closed her eyes shut, opening them to make sure she wasn't dreaming. 

The murmurings became louder, she felt as if she's going crazy.

She was still wearing the clothes she wore for the party so she decided to run out of the hall, go to Mina's. 

She had a feeling that the voice was following her so she ran faster. Passing the field, passing the cafeteria to reach the girl's lounge. But she ended up losing track of where she is. She sighed, running a hand through her hair, feeling tears running down her cheeks.

She stopped.

Then she closed her eyes, opening them again. She heard something else asides the horrific murmuring; someone calling her name. It was Mark. 

She ran to him, hid behind him. 

Then unexpectedly, he pulled out his hand in-front of him, releasing some sort of barrier. She gasped, seeing a creature on the floor. 

‘Thought I'd help you,’ He sighed, looking behind her.

‘What the are you doing, playing games at night,’ He continued. She stood still, not caring over the fact that he's mad at her, her eyes were stuck on the creature. The creature Mark saw. She wanted to scream but she couldn't.

‘What's that?!’ She said, backing away. His anger soon was replaced with a smirk. How could someone change that fast?

Mark took slow steps towards her with both hands in his pockets. His lazy eyes stared at her as she walked backwards. He snickered at how scared she was, and how naive she was. She stumbled upon her steps, hands on the brick walls behind her; it was a dead end.

He opened his mouth, pretending to gasp. Then a dark chuckle escaped his lips. He then looked at her, more like examined her. The blood from her face drained and her lips were dry. 

“Now, now, don't be scared.” he smiled, grabbing both her wrists and pinning them against the brick walls. His free hand then s down the sides of her neck, grasping her shoulder. His finger brushed against her chin.

“Perfect,” he murmurs before backing away. She looked, too afraid to move. She was shaking in fear and she felt as if she couldn't move. 

Whoever that was, it wasn't human.