Chapter Nine

No Rest For The Wicked

Mark spent all night listening to music. Eun-Mi decided to lend him her iPod. 

He was sitting on his bed, legs stretched out across the mattress. He was bobbing his head and tapping his fingers against his leg to the beat. It had a few of his favorites; Nirvana, Oasis, The Black Keys..

It didn't at all make him change his thoughts on suicide. But it did make him a tad bit happy. His head leaned against the headboard and he brought the iPod closer to him so he could skip the track he didn't really fancy. He let the iPod fall on his thigh and he stared into the darkness.

I knew who you were it was perfectly obvious,
I was uncomfortable, playing it cool,
But I feel like I have always known you,
I kept you close and I thought you would question it
,’

He soon fell into a reverie. Just that verse made him think of Eun-Mi. He planned out what he should say to Eun-Mi if she ever questioned his condition, he planned out what he should do if she visited again.. And at that moment, he dreamed of the two of them living under the same roof. Well, they were.. But he wanted to treasure her, he wanted to build a future with her..

But that was when he realized, he really couldn't..

 

Min-Young was heading towards the library. It was a long walk but she was curious about Eun-Mi and her strange behaviour. It was a little bit late, too. But the library closes at 10 and that's just 2 hours away. 

She went up the small stairs to get to the door. She pushed it open, only to be greeted by a man—Jackson. Damn, it's like he's everywhere, she thought. He looked a little empty, not like he always was; happy, flirty, charming. Now he looked like none of his usual feelings at all. But just as his eyes land on her he faked a smile. 

‘Oh, hi. Heard what your sister's been through last night. Sorry for that.’

Min-Young raised a brow. ‘She hasn't really been through anything last night. She just had a nightmare and.. What do you mean?

‘Well the guys started a rumour claiming that she was .. crazy and they also claimed that she had Agateophobia,’ he took a step forward and Min-Young took a step backward, knowing that he wanted to step out.

She made way for him and asked, ‘What's that?’

‘Fear of insanity.’ He stated.

‘And how did they come up with such information?’ She asked, crossing her arms.

He stared at her and smiled. ‘Oh, we are all a little curious. Anyways, I've got work to do. See you,’ he said, giving her a pat on the shoulder. She shrugged the anxiousness off of her and entered the library. 

There were only a few people there. A group of students were studying together, two girls were writing down notes and that was about it.

She searched for books on the first shelf. She went to the second shelf with a bunch of books. And then she went on to the next, until she was satisfied. She head towards the rows of tables and placed the books on one of them, pulling out a chair. 

When she chose those books earlier, she thought about Eun-Mi. She remembered Eun-Mi trying to convince her into joining college. Eun-Mi tried doing just that for a month or so and now she wasn't even trying. She wasn't even trying to go into class, make new friends, study. And all that money they spent.. They could've spend them on new clothes or novels or give them to their parents.

And she felt angry because of that.


“We've already said goodbye,
Since you've got to go, go now,
Before you see me cry,

— Go Now, Moody Blues