Chapter Six

No Rest For The Wicked

Mark ended up skipping class. He has been thinking about what to say to Eun-Mi. He sat on the floor against the locked door, sewing his cut.

She's different, he thought, there's something about her. 

Then, he heard footsteps coming from outside. The door beside him seemed to creak open. He broke off the string that he used to sew his cut by biting it. Then he stood up, twisted the door knob and pulled it open. That was when he saw Eun-Mi. His mind raced, his heart did too. 

Protect her at all cause, he thought.

He stared at her with hope, she stared at him with fear. He exhaled, she held her breath. He took a step forward. She took a step backward, hands shaking. 

‘Please don't hurt me!’ She cried, shaking her head each time.

He shook his head too, slowly. ‘I'm not here to hurt you.. I want to apologize,

She took a step back anyway, her hands searched for the walls behind her. ‘N-No..

‘I'm sorry.. I-I didn't know what I was doing! I was out of control last night and I know I scared the heck out of you,’ he said, walking towards her slowly. He sighed in relief when she stayed still. He stood in front of her, trying to get her to look at him.

‘Please, let me explain,’ he muttered. She bit her bottom lip, still shaking. She had to think. Concern and sincerity clouded his eyes. As if hypnotized, she sighed and entered her bedroom.

 

Eun-Mi sat on her sister's bed while Mark sat on her bed. They looked at each other for a while. 

He his dry lips and looked away, rubbing his chin with his thumb. From the corner of his eyes he could see Eun-Mi looking at him.

‘What are you?’ She asked.

He shook his head.

‘I rather not say.. I might scare you and I don't want that,’ he said, looking down at his feet.

‘I'm not scared. And what you did last night.. You were just protecting me, right?’ She asked with much anticipation.

He nodded, scratching his head over his hoodie. ‘I don't know why I did it though,

She raised a brow, strangely flattered. ‘I'm glad you did it,

He smiled. No, not the kind of smile he uses to scare people. It's a smile that he uses when he's happy, which he rarely shows.

She smiled too. ‘Good, you should smile more. You look wonderful,

He stopped smiling as soon as she said that. ‘Thanks,’ 

He looked up at her. ‘I'm a ghost,’ he breathed. She raised a brow. ‘Not like casper, flying around with legs like mermaid's. And it's not a good thing, being a ghost,’ 

A part of her did not believe him but she asked anway, ‘Why?

He said, ‘You're trapped. You're feared. You're alone. You're stuck. It's stupid. And I fear people like you,

She felt her heart beating faster and faster. ‘Why do you fear people like me? Are there more?

He looked around, scooting backwards so his back could lean comfortably against the wall. ‘I fear people who don't fear me. And yes, there are more. Quite a few though.

Her lips parted meanwhile Mark's lips were closed, tight shut. 

 

Mark went into his room and slammed the door, grabbing his hair, almost pulling them. Why did I tell her, he thought. There might be a reason why she doesn't fear me

He walked back and forth again. Is she going to tell anyone?

Clouded with his thoughts, he didn't realize the knocks on the door. When he did, he raced towards it. He opened the door, only to see Mr.Jo.

 

‘So tell me about that cut,’ Mr.Jo pointed at Mark's sewed cut. He raised his arm.

‘Oh, this?‘ he smirked. ‘Decided to sew it. Thought I should not scare.. I should care instead,

‘And what makes you think that way?’ Mr.Jo asked, looking at him with squinted eyes.

‘There's this girl I met,’ he said, playing with his fingers. ‘And I figured I'm happy and at ease with her,’ a smile crept to his mouth. Then he shifted uncomfortably.

Mr.Jo smiled, ‘I am proud of you. The idea of someone to care about.. Such a good idea. Also adds up your expectations,

Mark returned the smile, ‘I'm glad you are.. For some reason I'm starting to care a lot,

Mr.Jo nodded with approval. ‘You're doing a good job,’. Mark suddenly thought about Eun-Mi, still trying to look through her, is she loyal?

 

Jae-Bum told Eun-Mi to meet up with him in the field for an assignment Mrs. Ying gave them. Eun-Mi was planning to do the assignment with Min-Young but she already had a partner. She sat on one of the benches and looked across the field. She watched as the late evening sunlight poured down the wet grass, the dried autumn leaves swept past her and the wind blew cozy air.

Jae-Bum smiled. ‘It's a nice day today, don't you think?’

She scratched her head, then placed her hand down to her hard-covered notebook. She squinted her eyes and nodded, then looked at him. 

‘OK, so, what do you want to write about?’ He asked while digging a hand in his bag to find a certain object.

‘I don't know, whatever you feel like?’ She giggled.

‘Well, I prefer writing romance,’ he said, taking a few glances at her.


“She walked away, well her shoes were untied,
and our eyes were all red, you could see that we cried,
and I watched and waited till she was inside,
forcing a smile and waving goodbye,”
— Do Me A Favour by Arctic Monkeys