Chapter 22

In the End

Thank you for all your wonderful encouraging comments regarding Chapter 21.

Now, on to Chapter 22.

 


Instagram media by marknior - cr. Why not [ #marknior ] #MarkTuan #mark #tuan #마크 #Jr #Junior #ParkJinYoung #jinyoung #주니어 #박진영 #진영 #markjin #jinmark #markjr #jrmark #majinhttp://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/10853126_373145869512688_1803066945_a.jpg

Chapter 22

 

"So, what are we talking about?" Key asked curiously. He was surprisingly awake after having worked 'til 1am the night before. Mark was exhausted after his night with JinYoung. But, it was an exhaustion he wouldn't have traded for the world.

Mark and Key were at KwangHee's having a quick bite for breakfast. He had to get back soon. After kissing his cheek as he slept, he had only left JinYoung a short note saying that he would be back soon.

"It's JinYoung," Mark said.

"Your ex? What's up with him?" Key asked.

"He's here."

"He's here? What's he doing here?"

"I'm not really sure. He just showed up and said he wanted to talk."

"So, did you talk?"

"A little," Mark admitted sheepishly. "There's a problem, though. I didn't know how to tell him that I'm not going back to Escape. So . . . "

"Are you sure he expects you to? He knows you have a business here, so he can't be expecting that," KwangHee offered.

"The thing is . . . he doesn't."

"Doesn't what?"

"Know I have a business," Mark said.

"But," Key began, "you said you met up yesterday because he wanted to talk. If he doesn't know you have a café what did you two  . . . ? . . . oh . . . " He figured out there hadn't been much talking going on. "So, are you saying that as you saw your ex, you two just . . . without even talking first? This guy must be hot."

"Do you have a picture?" KwangHee asked.

Mark opened his wallet and showed them a picture of JinYoung.

"He's gorgeous!" Key exclaimed. "This picture is mine!" he teased holding Mark's wallet just out of reach. Once he'd returned it, he remarked, "now I can see why you two didn't bother with talking."

"He talked a little. He told me how sorry he was and before I knew it, we were just all over each other. Then I told him I loved him and he told me he loved me and that was pretty much the end of the conversation."

"So, was that just something you said in the heat of the moment, or do you really love him?" KwangHee asked pouring tea for his guests.

And without a moment's hesitation, Mark answered, "I love him. But," he added, "I'm not going back with him."

"Just talk to him. Tell him about the café. Maybe he's not here to try and drag you back. Maybe if you're lucky, he'll decide to come here," Key suggested.

"That's so romantic. Leaving everything behind just to be with the one you truly love," KwangHee sighed.

Key hit him. "You're always getting soppy about other people's love lives. What's going on with yours?"

"Mine? Nothing much."

"That's not what the guys on my shift said. They said another member of your fanclub came in. This new one's a real stalker customer. He came in asking about when you work," Key said, eyes twinkling.

"Oh, him. He's not a stalker. He just likes the way I serve, that's all," said KwangHee smiling. "And you should talk, what about that guy who came in when I was covering your day off? He actually asked where you were and what time you were coming in. I had to tell him that I was the rotating manager working in your place on your day off and that you weren't coming in. You should have seen his face, he looked like he wanted to just give me the coffee back and leave."

Key got suddenly quiet. He knew what guy KwangHee was referring to and he felt his face getting slightly warm.

Mark stood up. "I have to get going now. I just left JinYoung a note saying that I had a few things to take care of and would be back soon." He took a last swig of tea. "Thanks for breakfast guys. . . . and the advice."

His friends saw him to the door.

"I hope everything works out for you Markie-ah," Key said. "If he makes you really happy, I hope you guys can work it out."

"He does. He makes me really happy," Mark confessed.

"I could tell just by looking at your face. Then, go get him, boy!" Key said and he shoved him unceremoniously through the door.

Key and KwangHee slumped next to each other on the sofa.

"Do you think I'll ever find anyone that will make me light up like Mark does when he talks about that ex of his?" Key asked.

"You will. I have the feeling that love is waiting for you just around the corner," KwangHee smiled. "What about me?"

"You? You're having too much fun with your little fanclub. Practically everyone who comes into the café loves you. And you love the attention. So, I don't honestly think any one guy would be enough for you."

"You know, you might be right," KwangHee chuckled and he began to tickle Key.

"Hey . . . cut it out," Key ordered between screams and giggles. "You'd better not . . . ", he cried going on the counterattack as the two friends tickled each other onto the floor.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

When Mark got back, it was to a full apartment. Jia, Min, JoKwon and JoKwon's boyfriend of one month, SeulOng, were in his living room with JinYoung.

JoKwon was doing a girl-group dance in his exaggerated, entertaining way. Everyone was laughing and clapping. Finally, SeulOng got up and took JoKwon by the hand and had him sit beside him. SeulOng was the neutralizing element whenever JoKwon started to 'overdo it'.

"Remember your back," he reminded Kwon.

"Yeah," he said addressing the entire company, "I threw my back out once because I was dancing a little too wildly. The doctor said I had to tone it down a bit, but sometimes I forget." Then he looked lovingly at his boyfriend, "I'm glad I've got SeulOng to look after me," he said and kissed him on the cheek.

The gentle giant smiled shyly, looking down and with his arm around JoKwon's shoulder, pulled him affectionately closer.

"Mark!" Jia shouted, noticing him entering the room. Both she and Min ran to him and almost tackled him with their eager hugs. He had one arm around each of their shoulders and hugged them to his sides, kissing each of them on the top of the head.

"I haven't seen you guys in a while," Mark said. "But you run over here as soon as JinYoung shows up. I know he's handsome but, really . . . " he smiled.

"You're always too busy," Min said. "We never get to have a chance to hang out anymore," she said.

"You're busy, too," he said. "When I phoned you last week, both of you said you didn't have any time. I said you should phone when you want to meet up, but you didn't. I knew you always liked JinYoung better than me," he said, faking a pout.

JinYoung got up and smiling at Mark, went into the kitchen to get everyone more refreshments. Mark untangled himself from his two friends and followed JinYoung.

"Hi," he breathed against his neck while wrapping his arms around JinYoung's waist.

JinYoung turned his head towards Mark and kissed him lightly.

"I missed you this morning. Where did you go?"

"I just had something to do," Mark replied swaying JinYoung from side to side lightly kissing his neck. JinYoung turned around in his arms to face him.

"At the café?" JinYoung asked looking directly into his eyes.

As soon as Mark had entered the flat and seen their friends there, he knew that they must have mentioned the café, so he wasn't surprised JinYoung was asking. He just didn't know what exactly to say. To leave him after last night just to meet with some friends might seem a little strange to JinYoung. He might misunderstand and think that Mark didn't think much of last night if he just got up and left like that, but the truth was he'd just needed to talk to somebody about what was going on. And Key and KwangHee, not knowing JinYoung, but being close enough to confide in, were the perfect candidates.

"No, I had somewhere else to go."

JinYoung didn't press any further. If Mark left him, he thought, he must have had a good reason, whatever that was. But he still felt a little sad and disappointed that Mark had left even if it was for a good reason, but mostly he was disappointed that he hadn't mentioned the café. His face showed the mixture of sadness of being left out of the loop, yet pride in Mark's accomplishment. From their friends' accounts, even this early on, the café was quite the success.

"I admit that I'm a little sad that you didn't mention it to me, that's all," JinYoung said.

"We didn't really talk much about anything, as far as I remember," Mark said softly pulling JinYoung closer to him and kissing his cheek before running his lips along his jawline and then nuzzling his neck.

"Uhhhmmmm . . . " JinYoung moaned beginning to feel swept away by the sensuousness of Mark's kisses as he wrapped his arms around Mark's neck, pulling him closer. He then bent his head to kiss Mark's neck and they both began to get swept away, momentarily forgetting their guests.

"We can hear you in there!" JoKwon announced.

They stopped kissing, looked at each other and giggled.

"Stop listening!" JinYoung shouted back.

They both smiled at each other contentedly, just happy to be in each other's arms.

"Mark?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I see the café?"

"Of course you can," Mark said. "I'll take you over there as soon as we can get rid of this lot," he said, placing a lingering kiss on JinYoung's forehead before looking deeply into his eyes.

"We're dying of thirst out here!" Min shouted.

"We're coming!" Mark shouted.

"TMI!" JoKwon replied, and then they all laughed.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

Mark, JinYoung and all their friends who'd come over for a visit, all ended up going to the café. It was 11:00, so Mark had an hour before he had to be on-duty.

That also meant that HimChan was still on.

When JinYoung walked in, the first person he noticed was the handsome, raven-haired manager. He also noticed the warm greeting between him and Mark. They hugged each other and, it looked to JinYoung as though that guy actually gave Mark a short kiss on the cheek.

But JinYoung wasn't the only one who noticed. There was someone else who was watching, who's eyes narrowed briefly at the sight before his countenance returned to naturally cheerful.

"HimChan, this is JinYoung. JinYoung, this is Kim HimChan, manager extraordinaire," Mark announced.

"Pleased to meet you," HimChan said, extending his hand and bowing.

JoKwon, Min, Jia and even SeulOng all shouted enthusiastic greetings to HimChan. He waved enthusiastically back, before they made their way upstairs to a very nice bench seat that could fit them all. But before they all disappeared, SeulOng called, "see you in a minute?" with a big smile on his face.

Even JoKwon's gentle giant who never seems to have much to say is calling out to HimChan?

A few things bothered JinYoung about HimChan. First, he was really good-looking. Second, he was an employee which meant he and Mark must see each other virtually every day. Third, he seemed really close to Mark. Fourth, he seemed very close to all their, meaning JinYoung and Mark's, friends. How had he managed that in such a short time? But the worst was that when Mark introduced them, he hadn't mentioned anything about his and JinYoung's 'relationship'. No title. No status. Just "this is JinYoung".

But, fifth and worst of all was that familiar hug and kiss.

Jackson, JaeBum, YoungJae, JoKwon, GaYeon, Min and Jia all hugged and kissed JinYoung and Mark and were hugged and kissed back, but this HimChan wasn't in their group. He was an outsider and yet he was hugging and kissing Mark as if they went way back. It had even taken GaYeon a longer time to 'fit' into the group enough to be able to take these liberties. But this guy . . .

"If you keep making that face, you'll get wrinkles," Mark remarked, looking at the darkening expression on JinYoung's face.

He JinYoung's face lightly.

"Let me show you around," Mark said smiling. Then, taking JinYoung's hand in his, he started giving him a tour from top to bottom, front to back.

JinYoung was impressed with the job Mark had done within such a short period of time. He could tell his design work and by the looks of it, he had done a lot. He must have worked almost non-stop to get this much done in such a short time all alone, JinYoung thought.

As he stood in the storeroom with him while Mark checked a few supplies, JinYoung felt sorry that he hadn't been there to help him. Mark had had to do everything without any help or support.

JinYoung felt proud of him, but he also felt extremely guilty. My Mark was here struggling alone and where was I? What was I doing? How could I have been such an incredible idiot?

"Hey, what's wrong? You keep looking unhappy. Don't you like the place?" Mark asked.

"Oh, Mark," JinYoung said with a trembling voice as he fought to hold back tears of regret. "I'm so sorry," he said as he caught him in a tight embrace.

"Hey . . . my baby JinYoungie, what's upsetting you so much? What're you sorry about?" he asked with loving concern in his voice.

Being called Mark's 'baby JinYoungie' again after all this time made JinYoung's insides do a throb-flip-bang! It felt incredibly inappropriate under the circumstances: he had, just a mere moment ago, been close to tears, but now his body, because of having been denied Mark for too long and finally having experienced being with him again, seemed to be reacting instinctively. He tried to calm his disordered, hypersensitive responses to Mark and pull himself together. He took a deep breath and then continued.

"You had to do everything alone. I remember how hard it was when we built Escape, and there were two of us. Just the thought of you having to do everything without any help . . . I'm just sorry," he said.

"JinYoung-ah," Mark said affectionately, "it's okay. It wasn't that much work, honestly. Most of the stuff was cosmetic; the structure of the building itself was in great condition. Plus, once the surface work was done HimChan helped me a lot with the actual arrangement of the place. He advised me about the setup and what to appliances to order and so on. Between him and Key I had a lot of help, so don't worry," he reassured him.

But it didn't reassure him.

HimChan again . . . and now, who's this 'Key'?

Maybe Mark didn't need him at all now that he had all this 'help' from people like HimChan . . .

"Baby, what is up with your face today? What are you thinking?" Mark wondered aloud.

God, does he have to call me 'baby' in that voice? It just makes me want to throw him up against the wall and . . .

"Now, that's better. That's a look I know well," Mark chuckled. "But staff is in and out of this room all day, so if you're thinking about something like 'throwing me up against the wall', forget it."

JinYoung pouted. But, he couldn't help but smile.

Mark knows me so well . . . he mused.

Mark took his hand.

"Come on, let's go upstairs and join our friends. I don't have a lot of time before shift-change; then I have to start work."

"Mark?"

"Hmm?"

"Could I . . . maybe help out a bit? You know I'm a quick learner," JinYoung offered sincerely.

"You want to?" Mark asked incredulously. He hadn't expected this. They hadn't actually made any plans as to what JinYoung would do while he worked, but this came out of nowhere.

"Yes," JinYoung said, looking into his eyes. "I want to."

Mark's heart felt warm. It was like the distant dream he'd had almost every day since opening Runaway was being fulfilled. He'd always imagined JinYoung here, working with him, the two of them, side by side. JinYoung had just the bright personality and winning smile for this kind of work. Also, he was hardworking and meticulous. The dream had lived only as a wish cherished in his heart and now it was actually going to happen.

Mark grabbed JinYoung and enfolded him warmly into his arms. Between pressing kisses on his ear, neck and cheek he breathed, "Thank you, JinYoung."

JinYoung held on to Mark tightly, his eyes closed in happiness and gratitude. He then pulled back and looked into the eyes of the man he loved, who, so obviously, still loved him.

"No, thank you, Mark," he said before kissing him lovingly and with increasing depth, his heart almost bursting with the love he felt for him.

Mark was the one who stopped the kissing. Time was going and they had to get to their friends. So, once again, he took JinYoung by the hand and they left the storage room. But just before they went out into the main floor of the café, Mark leaned over and whispered into JinYoung's ear, "I promise, when our shift is over, we'll pick up where we left off . . . Baby."

Then he smiled, knowing exactly what he'd done.

For the next hour or so, JinYoung would have a very hard time walking or sitting comfortably.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

JinYoung was, indeed, a fast learner. But then, he had a good teacher.

BamBam showed him the ropes like a pro and in no time, he could, at least fill the most basic orders, while BamBam, YuGyeom and pretty boy SungJong took care of the more complicated ones.

What were Mark's prerequisites for hiring these guys? Hotness and cuteness? JinYoung wondered smiling.

But, it wasn't all smooth sailing for him that day. Whenever he was doing some sort of mechanical task such as bussing tables or packing or unpacking the dishwasher thoughts started flying around his brain.

He was happy about Mark's success. He noticed how he actually looked very happy as he whizzed around the café working the back and front with equal energy and focus. He looked so relaxed and content as he joked around with staff and smiled with the customers. This made JinYoung smile.

But what made him smile a little less was the question of what this meant for them.

After the night he'd been trying to forget, he'd panicked and simply boarded a plane and headed to Mark because it he had felt viscerally, uncontrollably driven to see him. He loved Mark. He wanted and needed him. And now he was here with him.

But he'd just run to Mark without any plan.

Somehow, he'd thought that maybe Mark would come back, but now he saw how foolish that thought had been. Here, he seemed so settled, so happy. In short, now that he had Runaway, why would he come back? Why would he when he looked so installed here in his new life? What did the success of Runaway mean to them and any possibility of them getting back together?

He could see that things weren't going to be as simple as he'd thought.

tumblr_n98j45orTu1r5lramo1_1280.jpg

 


 

Thank you again for all of the comments you leave after reading. It is very interesting and encouraging to read how you feel and what you think about the story, so please, keep commenting.

Also, I've written four Mark one-shots called "Mark at Christmas". It would be nice to have more people read them and tell me what you think. And for those who haven't read my other fics, please feel free to do so!  ^_^

All subscriptions, comments and upvotes on this or any other story of mine will be gratefully accepted and appreciated.   (*^_^)

Images not mine.