Chapter 16

In the End

Hey my LOVELY, DELECTABLE READERS!!!

I just want to thank you for all of your great comments! I am also a bit of a "silent reader" sometimes, so I know it might not seem too natural to comment on a story if you're not accustomed to doing that, so a special thanks to all those who have been commenting. Comments REALLY make my day! They also help me gauge what you're thinking/how you're feeling about a chapter or the story as a whole. Okay, to be honest, it won't make me change anything because I outlined the entire story before I started posting it, but it's still nice to see that readers are engaging with the story and the characters.  ^_^

Now, I want to give a special THANK YOU to all the readers who have upvoted the story! There is a special reason for this. Usually, when I am looking for a fiction to read, I only select those that have more upvotes than chapters. I just figured that was a good "weeding process". So when my fiction had consistently fewer upvotes than chapters, I just kept thinking "Great! I wouldn't read this story if I saw this!"

SO A BIG THANK YOU to all of those who upvoted, because you've turned my story into one I would actually start reading myself, based on my criteria.  (^_-)

Anyway, on with the story. And remember to comment, subscribe and upvote!  d=(^_^)=b


Chapter 16

             tumblr_nfvb7n8VPw1tptky6o1_1280.png                    image                                                           

"This was the best I could do," JaeBum said as YoungJae and Mark followed him across the threshold. "I hope you like it."

JB flipped on the light switch.

If this was the best he could do, it was pretty great! It was exactly YoungJae's style.

It wasn't fancy at all, but the layout was so warm and homey. It was clean and well-appointed for his needs.

It couldn't have been more perfect had JaeBum read his thoughts. And feelings . . .

"It's perfect, Hyung. Thank you," YoungJae

"I'm sorry I took the liberty to furnish some of it for you, but I figured it would be better than you having to come to an empty flat. If there's something you don't like . . . "

"No! I love it all, really. Thank you, Hyung."

JB smiled shyly at the effusive praise. It was so nice to hear coming from those lips . . .

With a regretful look at Mark, he said, "I'm sorry that there's only one bedroom. I didn't know . . ."

"That's okay, JaeBum-ah. Until we actually got on the plane this evening, not even I was 100% sure I would come," Mark reassured him.

"Let me show you both around," he offered. "I looked at a lot of places, and this one was really the best. It's an old building, but there have been a lot of refurbishments, and most importantly the plumbing is all new. Also, it's on a convenient line to get to and from the studio. And," he went on, "if you should not feel like cooking, there are no less than two small restaurants that serve affordable homemade meals. The atmosphere is very good, they are both friendly and family-owned. Almost feels like you're eating your mother's cooking."

"Or, in my case, father's," Mark smiled.

"How are your parents? I haven't been to visit them in years and we only had time for some small talk at Jackson's engagement party."

"They're both fine. Once I get myself established, I'm going to visit them. I want to see my grandparents, too."

"They're still in that house in the country? I remember the times we went there during summer break," JaeBum mused. "They really liked JinYoung . . . "

His voice trailed off.

"Sorry, Hyung," he apologised.

"No need," Mark said. "Just because we're no longer together doesn't mean that everyone has to act as if he never existed. We had a lot of good times together . . . all of us."

"Yeah," JaeBum said sympathetically. "Well, here's the bedroom," JB said opening the door at the end of the corridor with a flourish.

It was pretty bare, but there were a few touches here and there which could be kept or moved as YoungJae wished. One thing it did have was drapes.

Had he remembered?

When YoungJae was at uni, he had once mentioned to JB that he preferred drapes to blinds. He liked the fact that he could launder them or have them cleaned.

How could he have remembered that? It was a single, insignificant remark he made a long time ago. It must have just been a lucky guess.

"And this is the bed."

It's a pretty big bed for only one person, YoungJae noticed.

"I figured you might need a slightly bigger one. Just in case," JB smiled.

"In case?" YoungJae looked somewhat confused.

"A lot of people find a beautiful voice a turn-on," JB said suggestively.

"Oh."

I guess now he's got more girlfriends than he knows what to do with, thought YoungJae miserably. He probably had to pick Fei's name out of a hat or something to decide who to take to the engagement party.

JB could tell by YoungJae's face that he didn't get his hint.

Why should he? he thought sadly.

"Are either those restaurants you were talking about still open? I'm feeling a little hungry," Mark asked.

"One is, Hyung. Are you coming, YoungJae?"

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

"Well, I guess I'd better get going," JB said after they'd returned from eating.

Over dinner, he'd found out a little about what had happened between Mark and JinYoung. Most important was the fact Mark had decided to permanently relocate to Seoul. He didn't want to ask about anything more. He didn't want to tax Mark unnecessarily. He was looking drained. Anyway, YoungJae would probably fill him in on the rest at the studio tomorrow.

"So, you'll be staying, Hyung?" JB asked.

"Yes. I just have to find a new project . . . something new to do," he said.

"Don't you want to rest for a couple of days first?" YoungJae asked. After everything that had happened between him and JinYoung, Mark was clearly exhausted. And tonight had been the most he'd eaten at one sitting in weeks.

"No, I need to keep busy," he smiled half-heartedly.

"Hyung, if you need anything, you know you can call me anytime, right?" JaeBum said Mark's arm kindly.

Mark nodded and tried once again to smile sincerely. Needless to say, he failed.

"Well, it's getting late, so I should say 'goodnight'. JB turned to his favourite dongseng. "I'll be here to pick you up at eight, YoungJae."

"Eight? That late?"

"Actually eight is really early. If we record before noon, the sessions usually start mid- to late mornings, but afternoons and evenings are more common. Late nights are also no rarity. Your schedule will change from day to day. It's not exactly a nine-to-five job. Anyway, sleep well, you two," JB said, waving as he left.

 

That night, like every night since he started staying with him, Mark fell asleep with YoungJae wrapped tightly in his arms. As he had every time, first, he asked YoungJae apologetically if he minded, and he, of course, said he didn't. He got the feeling that Mark felt guilty about it, but the truth was, YoungJae enjoyed sleeping in another human being's warm embrace. It made him feel cared for. And he needed that especially tonight, when it was obvious to him once again that he had no chance with the ever- and increasingly-popular JB.

As he snuggled in Mark's arms, feeling his warmth and comfort, he decided that he had to abandon this lost cause.

He's a hyung I will always admire, and for him, I'll always be his dongseng. Nothing more. I'll just have to learn to be content with that.

Then he nestled even closer into Mark's embrace before drifting off to sleep.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

"That's it. Break for lunch," the producer announced.

It was already 2pm. After arriving at 8:30, they didn't actually begin recording until just after ten. Then it was straight through until now. These people really didn't keep regular hours.

"Hey!" someone called. YoungJae turned and recognised the person who'd spoken.

It was Fei.

They're still seeing each other? I guess I should have known. YoungJae sighed inwardly. It was one thing to think he had no chance with JaeBum, but to see the evidence standing there was somehow saddening.

"So, ready for lunch?" she asked sunnily.

"I'll be with you in one," JaeBum said smiling.

"Hello. It's YoungJae, isn't it?" she said bowing courteously.

"Yes. It's . . . Fei, right?"

"You remembered! So, how are you finding everything so far?"

"This is my first day, so . . . "

"Fei, stop interrogating the boy," JaeBum chipped in.

. . . the boy . . .

"So, what are you in the mood for?" Fei asked playfully.

"Whatever you're in the mood for," JaeBum teasingly.

"YoungJae," Fei called. "You're coming with us!"

"I don't want to intrude," he replied.

"Intrude? On what?" Fei laughed. And then she laced one arm through his and the other through JaeBum's.

"Let's go!" she said and marched them both forward.

 

Fei tried everything she could over lunch to engage YoungJae in conversation. But he was a very unwilling participant.

His one-word answers were beginning to trouble JaeBum.

Is he too tired? Maybe he shouldn't have started after landing so late last night. I should have looked after him better.

But, no matter how reticent he was, Fei did everything she could to make him feel part of the 'group'. And by the end of the meal, she had somewhat succeeded.

I can see what JaeBum-Hyung sees in her, YoungJae thought to himself. She's so friendly and open. I hope they'll be happy together, he thought regretfully.

 

Once they returned to the studio, Fei pulled JaeBum forcefully aside.

"YoungJae, I just need him for a second," she said.

YoungJae nodded understandingly. "I'll see you inside, Hyung. Goodbye, Fei."

When she had JaeBum on his own, Fei confronted him.

"JB, what are you doing? I thought we'd already gone over this. When are you going to make your move? That boy is absolutely crazy about you!"

"Look, Fei, I'm sure you're wrong about him. I mean, I tried dropping him a hint last night and he totally ignored it."

"I know what your hints are like and he probably totally didn't get it. Look, trust me. He is so in love with you it's painful to watch," she insisted.

"I must have been sitting at another table, because I didn't see anything like that," JaeBum remarked.

"So, you didn't see how jealous he was getting?"

"Jealous?"

"Yes, jealous! Have you told him about us, you know, how we're just friends? . . . No . . .  JaeBum . . . are you telling me you haven't said anything to him yet?"

"I . . . "

"You are a hopeless case! I am washing my hands of you! I know you're practically my best friend, but I am not coming around to eat lunch with you for the rest of the week; it'll be lonely, but I'll endure it for your sake," she said lifting the back of her hand to her brow dramatically as if to feign martyrdom, "so, use your time wisely. Talk to him, JB. Spend some time with him, and for god's sake keep your eyes open, then you'll see how right I am." She looked at her watch. "Anyway, gotta go, love. I hope that the next time I see you, you'll have some good news for me. Bye!" And she swept affectedly out of the building.

That Fei. She's so crazy, he thought as he watched her retreating figure.

But . . . he couldn't help but think . . . what if she's right?

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

This was the last place for the day.

Mark had looked at two other places and neither of them had been right.

But, this one sounded like it might have potential. At least the neighbourhood seemed good. As he approached the front door, he hoped he wouldn't be disappointed.

He wasn't.

"You must be Mr Tuan," said a big man as he approached him, bowing and extending his hand. In one sweep of his eye, Mark could see that the man's ill-fitting suit was quite old. But he'd done his best to spruce it up. Also, as rough as it looked, both he and it were clean and groomed, even if both of them had seen better days.

He's probably spent almost all his time running this place, he thought as he looked around.

"Let me give you the grand tour," the man said gesturing expansively.

Mark noted all of the things that were obviously need of repair and already started jotting down some ideas and making some preliminary sketches as they walked along. The place was in desperate need of updating, though there were some intricate touches throughout that gave the place a certain charm. When he took a look at the menu, he knew that he had a lot of work ahead of him.

This was a very old-fashioned café, if one could call it that. It was more of an ice-cream parlour. But the owner had obviously had a mind to expand because there were cakes on display behind the dismally unappealing vitrine. But Mark could see that he could do a lot with this property. It was in a very favourable location: very close to a university, that would mean potentially a lot of customers if he could redesign it with the right feel. Also, there was a lot of foot traffic and a large company in the area. Looking at the books didn't make the place seem like a good investment, but Mark knew better than to merely trust that. The place was much larger than it looked from outside. A lot of space was being used for storage, though it appeared that there wasn't that much to store. Probably the cost to renovate and decorate was something the present owner couldn't afford.

"I'm sorry to let the place go, but I'm moving" he explained. "My parents aren't the youngest anymore and we'll be going to the country. It'll be better for them. They both love gardening and hiking so they'll be much happier. It's nice when your parents can be happy later in life. It's a kind of reward for them for all their hard work, isn't it?"

"Yes . . . I suppose it is," Mark agreed.

Just then, the side door opened.

"Ah, there you are!" the owner said welcoming a young man with a hearty pat on the back.

The young man was tall and lean and looked uncomfortable walking in, as though he'd interrupted something.

"This is my assistant. Actually, he does most of the work here if I'm to be honest. Now, I don't want to presume anything. You haven't even told me what you're going to do with the place, but if you need a good employee, you can't get anyone better than him."

The young man stepped forward.

"Hello, my name is Kunpimook Bhuwakul. But most people call me Bam-Bam," he said with a smile.

"Bam-Bam?" Mark said curiously.

"Because I'm stronger than I look," he said flexing a bicep.

They all laughed.

"Okay, he's a bit of a show-off sometimes, but when it comes to serving the public, he's the best," the owner praised.

Mark stayed to watch Bam-Bam at work. He was glad he did. The young man was truly an excellent worker. He was always polite and pleasant to customers, even the occasional ones who were brusque or demanding. He seemed able to run the entire place single-handedly. But, to be honest, there wasn't a huge influx of customers to overwhelm him. Nonetheless, Mark noticed that he was able to work in the back and the front of the store with equal aptitude.

He told the owner of his intention to buy without even haggling over the price as other potential buyers had tried. Mark knew the value of this place, that it was even worth more than the owner was asking, so he felt it would have been unfair of him to bargain.

The owner beamed at the thought of getting his full asking price. He took Mark's hand and shook it vigorously, bowing repeatedly.

"Gamsahamnida . . . gamsahamnida . . . "

"No, thank you," Mark responded, smiling.

 

At the end of his work day, while the now-former owner was taking care of some things in the back, Mark pulled the hardworking young man aside.

Once they'd sat at a table together, he began.

"I'm going to be the new owner," he told him.

"Oh . . . really . . . " Bam-Bam said nervously. He could feel the speech coming on about how sorry he was that 'such a hardworking young man like yourself' would have to lose his job, but that couldn't be helped. Bam-Bam felt depressed. He was a student and it would be hard for him to find another job close enough to school for him to get to and from without having to spend precious money on transport. Would he be forced to break up his studies and return to Thailand?

"I'm going to have to renovate this place, but once I reopen I'm going to need reliable, qualified staff . . . "

'Qualified' staff. Here it comes . . . I only hope I have enough for a ticket back home . . .

"I'd like you to come and work for me after the opening. It shouldn't take too long."

"Excuse me?" he asked. He couldn't have heard right. "You . . . you want me . . . to work for you?"

"Yes," Mark smiled.

Bam-Bam looked pleased. But it was important for him to ask . . .

"Excuse me, Mr . . ."

"Tuan . . . "

"Mr Tuan? That's not a Korean name . . . "but how long do you expect it to be before the opening? It's just that I'm a student and . . . "

"You don't have to explain. I wasn't born this old. I was a student too, once," Mark smiled. You can't live on air until the place opens can you?"

Bam-Bam looked down.

"Not really," he replied.

"I'll tell you what. If you promise to come work for me when the place reopens, I'll compensate you for your waiting time."

"What do you mean by that?" Bam-Bam asked.

"It means that as long as you promise you'll come work for me, I'll pay you in the meantime, so you won't have to worry about meeting your expenses. After all, it's not your fault the place has to close for renovation. So, you'll get your pay so I won't have to lose you to someone else. Is it a deal?" Mark asked extending his hand.

"Deal," said Bam-Bam shaking it in agreement.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

"I think we can do a lot with this place. It'll be a lot of work though."

"I know. But when it's finished . . ."

"It'll be our own place."

JinYoung turned to face Mark.

"This feels like a dream," he said his face tenderly.

Mark closed his eyes immersed in the feel of JinYoung's fingertips on his face. Then slowly, he opened his eyes.

"You are my dream," Mark said, his hands encircling JinYoung's waist.

"I never thought my life would ever be this happy," he said, looking deeply into Mark's eyes.

"Why?" he asked lightly moving a stray hair from his love's forehead.

"I don't know. I just saw my life as like, doing things, but I never gave much thought to happiness. Not really," he said.

"Well, I don't know how happy you're going to be over the next year or so. You'll probably be too exhausted to be happy," Mark said, combing his hands through his lover's hair.

"As long as I can collapse in a heap next to you, that'll be enough," JinYoung grinned.

 

"Ohhhhh . . . . . . " he groaned.

"Come on, I know you're tired but let's get you into the shower . . . " JinYoung said.

"Just leave me here, JinYoungie. I'll just die right here . . . "

"Come on, Mr Dramatic. You need a shower.  . . . I'll scrub your back," he sang.

"I can't move," Mark groaned.

"You can," JinYoung insisted. "You're not even trying. You're the one who told me how much hard work this would be and how exhausted we would be and now look at you," he teased.

"I just want to rest a little while longer . . . have mercy, JinYoung-ah," he breathed wearily.

"I am having mercy," he responded dragging Mark into a standing position. "I'm too merciful to let you lie here on a bare floor and catch cold. I'll help you into a nice, warm shower and scrub your back and wash your hair for you. Then, I'll dry it and help you get dressed for bed. What could be more merciful?" JinYoung asked.

"Okay, okay you nag," Mark yielded as JinYoung pushed him down the hallway towards the bathroom.

 

"Ahhhhh! Now don't you feel better?" JinYoung asked bouncing onto the bed next to a freshly washed, dried and dressed-for-bed Mark.

"Yeah," he admitted. "Come here," he said pulling JinYoung close. "You're my guardian angel," he sighed kissing him tenderly on the cheek.

"We're each other's guardian angels." JinYoung leaned over Mark. "You watch over me," he said tapping the end of Mark's nose to punctuate his words, "and I watch over you." He then leaned in and kissed Mark gently on the nose.

Mark sighed contentedly as he looked into JinYoung's eyes.

"I love you, JinYoung. What was my life before I met you? . . . . . . . . I'll always love you," he promised.

"I love you, Mark," JinYoung breathed as he looked deeply into his lover's eyes. "I'll always love you."

Then, they held one another close as they kissed until they both succumbed to the bone-weariness of a very long day's hard work and fell asleep with their lips still connected in a tender caress.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

As he started the first day of renovations at the new property, all Mark could think of was JinYoung. How they'd planned their lives together. How they'd worked together. How they'd loved each other . . .

And when he thought back to what the previous owner had said that day, "It's nice when your parents can be happy later in life," Mark could think only of JinYoung. He knew that he'd made the right decision to leave, but that one sentence made him somehow better understand JinYoung's motives in trying to please his parents. Yes, he understood. And he felt sorry, but he couldn't have done anything differently.

But, I miss him so much. I wish he were here . . .

So, as Mark started work on his new life, JinYoung, just as he had before, never left his side.

 

MarkJin.


 

Don't forget that comments make my day . . .

Please subscribe, comment and upvote.