Nebulous Eyes

Double Shot

 

Baekhyun squinted at Chanyeol who looked even more dubious than he himself felt. He wanted to bask in this moment, feel elated as if he was on cloud nine even, however something held him back. Perhaps it was the look on Chanyeol’s face saying those words were a mistake, or perhaps it was the nagging feeling that Chanyeol said that more out of habit than sincerity. The habit to help Baekhyun when he was in need.

 

Baekhyun pat Chanyeol’s shoulder, bringing him back into this world. With a startled shake of his head Chanyeol redirected his gaze to Baekhyun, only to quickly divert his eyes once again. Baekhyun cleared his throat before saying what he knew would ease the others apprehension, even at the sacrifice of his own eagerness. “I appreciate the thought, but I don’t think hospitals let their workers off that easily.”

 

Chanyeol blinked in confusion before realization set on his face. “Ah, yes, t-that’s true, they certainly don’t… e-especially as an intern!” He gave an uneasy laugh and Baekhyun smiled in return. Chanyeol’s sweaty hand gripped tighter around the plastic bag, the material daring to slip through his fingers once again. “Well, see you Baekhyun. Take care of yourself.” Baekhyun gave a pained smile as he watched his friend scurry out into the night, not knowing of the guilt that had begun to settle in the pit of Chanyeol’s stomach as a result of his white lie. He had vacation days he could use, but he took the outing handed to him with begging hands.

 

“Yoooooo, who was that?” Tao popped his head out from the storage room, eyebrows raised in mild interest, ready to snatch up any juicy gossip willing to lay itself in his lap.

 

“My…” Baekhyun trailed off, what exactly should he call Chanyeol? His ex bestfriend? His potential lover? Crush? The guys whose feelings he trampled on by accident for years before leading him to think he was throwing it all in his face then cried about it for the last three years? “Friend.” Lame.

 

“That didn’t look like an interaction between friends to me.” Tao says nosily.

 

“It’s complicated.”

 

“Nothing’s been more obvious, trust me.”

 

Baekhyun stuck his tongue out before throwing a pack of M&Ms at his manager. “This is harassment!” Tao screeched.

 

“You deserve to be harassed more than anyone I know.”

 

“I’ll have you fired, you good-for-nothing assistant!”

 

Baekhyun let out a snort and smirked cockily, “Try me. Like you could stand manning 3rd shift all by yourself in this creepy area.” Tao’s crestfallen look told him he was right. “You’re a thousand times more skilled than me in martial arts, how is it you’re the one scared?

 

“You never know when people are gonna gang up on you, I need a scape goat for when that time comes!”

 

“Gee thanks, glad to be of service.”

 

“It might be the only thing you’re good for.”

 

“I’m the only one who actually does work around here you brat!” Baekhyun started pummeling Tao one after the other with the marshmallows he had been snacking on all night. “This place would have gone under if not for me” Baekhyun says defiantly, rolling his eyes in the process.

 

“Okay, okay, stop with the marshmallows for god’s sake!” Baekhyun stops throwing the puffy white balls of fluff. “But seriously Baekhyun, what that guy said might not be a bad idea. You need a break.”

 

“You were eavesdropping?” Baekhyun gets up from his seat at the counter with the bag of marshmallows.

 

Tao backs away slowly, fear seeping into his eyes. “Now let’s not do anything you’d regret…”

 

Baekhyun smiles sweetly. “Oh I could never regret this.”

 

WHAP!

 

“Owww… Dammit Baekhyun, that was so unnecessary. You really didn’t have to hit me with the entire bag!”

 

“I don’t know, I was really beginning to think I did.” Baekhyun sat back down and plopped a marshmallow in his mouth, a little smooshed from the impact on Tao’s skull.

 

“Whatever…” Tao murmured. “So about you taking a break?”

 

“Nah, I’m good. He didn’t mean it when he said it, it was clearly an accident.”

 

“Well you don’t have to go with him.”

 

Baekhyun stopped chewing and thought about the idea for a moment. “Maybe” he replied after swallowing the delight.

 

 

***

Sehun clutched the tumbler with such ferocity he thought me might actually break through the metal. His lip was seconds from letting out blood with the strength his teeth were biting down on it. The audacity… THE AUDACITY! He was seething, literally, in an attempt to cool his temper. Nothing was working, he was ready to wreck Baekhyun’s prized shop at any moment. He could not stand the sight in front of him, could barely fix his customers stupid ing drink, he was done for. Completely, utterly, in all sense of the word DONE. 

 

He, in his best attempt, gave a tiny, barely there, smile to the customer in front of him. “That’ll be 4.35, sir”

 

The man nodded, paid, and walked out with a wave. But the sight in front of him did not leave.

 

Over in the corner of the shop, sitting on the couch, was their new hire Yixing and … and… Sehun was suddenly coughing and noticed the two were about to turn their heads so he crouched down on the floor, hidden away behind the counter. To think HE was this shaken up! He punched the wooden tiles harshly, his anger inevitably eating away at his heart.

 

He was kicked out of his house because of this bastard! Stranded by this jerk! He’s the one who should stand and mock the other, but he can’t. Instead he pathetically slumps against the counter, grateful he’s hidden away from their view.

 

Sehun slips his phone out from his pocket and dials the number on speed dial, the only person he can trust anymore.

 

“Sehun, aren’t you opening the shop right now?”

 

“Yeah, I’m here don’t worry…”

 

Sehun’s tone certainly made him worry. “What’s wrong?”

 

“You catch on fast.” Sehun’s voice faltered and he squeezed his eyes together.

 

“Sehun, what’s going on?” Baekhyun’s own voice was beginning to sound panicky.

 

“Can you come to the shop? I can’t do this right now… I can’t take care of any customers like this!” He whispered harshly, desperately, into the phone. God forbid the men on the couch hear him.

 

“I’m already on my way.”

 

Sehun can feel tears prick his eyes in relief, always so grateful to Baekhyun. Chanyeol really doesn’t deserve him.

 

 

It’s not long until Baekhyun comes waltzing in through the door and immediately scans his surrounding to find what’s upsetting his precious Sehun. The search was quick and even he felt his breath knocked out of him at the sight. There was Yixing sitting on the couch with Luhan, of all people. Baekhyun picked up some very unfortunate new hires it seems. First Kyungsoo’s worst nightmare and now Sehun’s. He’d be lying if he didn’t feel a bit bad, but also, slightly, very slightly amused. As if fate is bringing everyone’s previous love prospect back into their lives. What a cruel fortune.

 

Luhan caught sight of Baekhyun after hearing the door chime from his entrance. “Baekhyun!” Baekhyun winced, how is he acting so friendly after the mess he made?

“Yo.”

 

“Sehun said you weren’t working until later today?”

 

So they talked, poor baby Sehun.

 

“I’m just checking in on some things.” But the knowing look in Luhan’s eyes said he was already aware of everything. And if that were so, it’s quite a wonder why he hasn’t left yet.

 

He went behind the counter to see Sehun crouched up in a ball, possibly hyperventilating and a crazed look in his eye with all the mixed emotions he was feeling. Baekhyun crouched down and ran a gentle hand through the currently pinkish blonde hair. Sehun dyes his hair a lot, there’s no telling what it’ll be tomorrow. Despite how many times Baekhyun says he’s going to go bald Sehun just retorts saying it’s his thing.

 

His heart goes out to the younger, so much so that he feels like he wants to cry for him. Sehun looks up to Baekhyun’s pretty chocolate bar eyes and a sense of relief washes over him. He’s safe now, it’ll be okay. Sehun allows his body to slump against Baekhyun, a true sign of defeat. In this moment it’s Sehun who looks like he needs a vacation more so than himself.

 

The pair hears shuffling over by the couch and simultaneously stand as if nothing was going on whatsoever. He watches in horror, however, as Luhan gives Yixing a parting kiss, waves to him and Sehun, before walking out the door in his newly pressed suit and tie. Baekhyun stiffly moves his head to look at Sehun’s face and oh how he wished he hadn’t. This is much worse than Chanyeol having a crush on Kai, this is true betrayal for Sehun. Devastated would not do justice to the feeling that was harboring in Sehun’s heart.

 

 

 

Sehun left early and Baekhyun stayed late. No one confronted Yixing that day about Luhan, no one had the heart to. Sehun probably didn’t want to know anyway.

 

 

 

When Baekhyun entered his apartment he was exhausted, but that was nothing new. He was grateful the café was his only job for the day, if he had to work his 3rd shift at the convenient store he was certain he’d fall asleep while cashing a customer out.

 

After having taken his shoes off he goes to find his roommate. Tuffs of pink hair poked out from a large comforter on the couch. The movie on the TV was already reset to the menu screen and the room was pitch black. Assuming the young boy had fallen asleep he goes to pick him up, despite being much taller than himself, and heads to Sehun’s room. He’s surprised when two slim arms wrap around his neck. His eyes dart down to see sad nebulous eyes staring back up at him. He thinks they’re a little puffy, but it’s too dark to say for sure.

 

“I don’t want to sleep alone.” Sehun’s voice was tired. There wasn’t any pleading in his voice, it was more of a statement than anything. He wasn’t asking Baekhyun to sleep next to him, he wouldn’t care if the other decided not to. But if the other by chance did, he would be grateful.

 

“Alright.”

 

Baekhyun laid Sehun on the bed before climbing over him and onto the other side. Sehun continued to face the empty room rather than try and interact with Baekhyun. Baekhyun sat cross-legged and did as he had for many days, weeks even, when Sehun had first been kicked out of his home. He brushed his fingers through Sehun’s hair, then slowly rubbed circles on his back. He continued until Sehun’s eyes finally shut and a soft snore could be heard. It took a good hour and a half before Baekhyun was certain Sehun wouldn’t wake up once he left the bed.

 

He closed the door gently and headed over to their small half kitchen to make himself some tea. He was now more than exhausted and of course he opened tomorrow. Baekhyun groaned and allowed his head to rest on the cool countertop. He could feel the starting of a headache, presumably from lack of sleep.

 

He took aspirin along with his tea and narrowed his eyes at the clock that mocked him. 12:35 Am. He has five hours before he needs to be at the café. He downs the rest of his tea and takes comfort in his own bed. It’s okay because he’s used to this. This is his routine, it’ll be fine.

 

It’ll be fine?

 

No, nothing’s fine at all.

 

What?

 

“No, It’s not fine at all!” he hears a voice scream. Sehun? Baekhyun tries to open his groggy eyes, but everything’s a blur and his head is pounding. Why’s it so cold in here?

 

Is this a dream?

 

His thoughts are all jumbled and he’s unable to make sense of anything. He hears Sehun speaking in a perturbed voice to someone, but can barely make out what he’s saying.

 

“His fever is so high!”

 

Ah, someone must be sick. Wait if Sehun is already awake, what time is it? Baekhyun’s tries to jump up, terrified he’s late for opening the shop, but instead he lets out a pained cry. His body feels like pins and needles are pricking him everywhere and his body aches. Oh. Oh. He’s the sick one.

 

“Hang on, he’s awake.” Sehun’s blurry figure appears in his line of sight. “Baek, how’re you feeling?”

 

“…” Baekhyun is silent for a moment. This really . This is not the time to be sick. “I-“His voice croaks and his throat feels painfully dry. Sehun’s leaves and is quick to return with a glass of water with a straw. He helps Baekhyun up just enough and holds the glass out with enough distance for Baekhyun’s mouth to reach the straw, greedily up the contents.

 

“Better?”

 

Baekhyun nods. “Lots of pain.” He finally manages and Sehun’s brow furrows.

 

“Sorry, this is my fault. I shouldn’t have left early yesterday and had you help me to sleep.”

 

Baekhyun vehemently shakes his head, but promptly regrets it. He withholds the wail of agony so Sehun wouldn’t feel even worse. His vision is clearer than before and he can see Sehun reach for the phone. “Do I need to take him to the hospital?” He watches the young boy nod before realizing the person on the phone can’t see him, the corners of Baekhyun’s mouth tugged into a small smile. “Uh, okay. I’ll take good care of him then. Thanks, bye.”

 

“Who was that?”

 

Sehun looks conflicted for a moment. “Chanyeol. I figured I’d ask him what to do since he’s a doctor and all.”

 

Baekhyun wanted to nod, but was afraid of more pain shooting up his body. “Gotcha.”

 

“He said to just have you rest at home and it should go down, but if it gets worse to bring you to the hospital.”

 

“What about the café?”

 

“I called Kyungsoo to open. You slept through your alarm and it wouldn’t shut up, eventually waking me up to find you sweating and hotter than the sun.”

 

“Thanks, you’re awesome.”

 

Sehuns façade broke at those words and tears start streaming down his face. Baekhyun begins to panic, immobilized and unable to comfort the boy crumbling apart in front of him. “I’m not awesome at all!” Baekhyun winces because that is so not true and his heart hurts just hearing his friend think so. “If you didn’t have to take care of me you wouldn’t be nearly this stressed! I’m so worthless, it’s no wonder no one wants me around!” Sehun’s wailing by now into Baekhyun’s covers, collapsed onto his knees on the carpeted floor.

 

Pain be damned, because he’s not about to left his precious friend drown in such sorrow.

 

Baekhyun’s sweaty, clammy hand squeezes Sehun’s tightly. He tugs with as much strength he can muster, hoping Sehun gets the hint and he must because he rises from the floor before lying beside Baekhyun on the bed. Baekhyun wraps his arms around Sehun, he younger’s face pressed into his chest. Sehun hiccups, trying to catch his breath from the sobbing, but tears fall ceaselessly.

 

“I want you around.” Baekhyun is close to tears himself, it’s too depressing. This poor, poor boy is so alone and he can’t stand it. He can’t stand the parents that abandoned him, he can’t stand Luhan who betrayed him, and he can’t stand the world Sehun was into.

 

Sehun calms down after many moments and continues to rest tiredly in Baekhyun’s arms. He knows Baekhyun doesn’t love him the way he loves Chanyeol, but he knows Baekhyun loves him and for now that’s enough, it has to be.

 

Eventually Sehun tears out of Baekhyun’s arms and smiles at the elder. “Sorry.” Baekhyun smiles in return, grateful to see his friend’s eyes shining with something other than tears. “We need to wash the sweat off, I wasn’t able to when you were asleep.” Sehun exits the room to return with a small bowl of water and washrag. He sits Baekhyun up attentively before ing his baby blue night shirt. Baekhyun just lolls his head to the side, even keeping his eyes open is a chore. “You can’t fall asleep just yet.” Sehun reprimands.

 

“Kaaaay…”

 

Once the shirt’s been stripped from Baekhyun’s body Sehun wets the rag and begins wiping away the perspiration. “Feels good.” Baekhyun mumbles.  Sehun’s glad Baekhyun doesn’t have the mind to pay attention to the red glow that’s formed on his pale skin. Baekhyun’s body is quite toned and he’s never seen it so close before, definitely never felt it beneath his fingertips before, yet it feels familiar. Sehun pauses, hand frozen, and wide-stricken eyes looked closely at Baekhyun’s face, eyes disoriented from illness.

 

“Hey Baekhyun?”

 

“Mm?”

 

“Have we… I mean…” Sehun stumbles over his words as he hazily remembers two years ago. They were drunk, so drunk, and together in the apartment. He was having a hard time with having recently been kicked out and Luhan had left him. Baekhyun was a year into his business, his mother had cancer, and he hadn’t heard a thing from his beloved Chanyeol. The two, so lonely, so desperate, so stressed, did they? “Did we… Have ?”

 

Baekhyun is quick to snap out of his daze at those words. To be honest, he remembered. But he knew Sehun hadn’t and since they weren’t looking for a relationship he left it at that. To think Sehun would actually figure it out two whole years later. “Yeah.” Baekhyun says solemnly.

 

Sehun stares hard at the rag he’s holding, swiftly finishing up.

 

“Well that’s okay, I’m glad it was with you.” Sehun said, not looking Baekhyun in the eyes. He goes to Baekhyun’s drawers and pulls out a fresh new shirt for him to sleep in. “Do you think it will bother Chanyeol?”

 

“Probably…” Baekhyun takes the shirt Sehun hands him and puts it on himself. “But it’s not like we did anything wrong either.”

 

“Ahh… Yeah, you’re right.” Sehun’s heart feels like it’s going to pound right out of his chest.

 

“Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable.”

 

“Not at all!” Sehun says, maybe a bit too adamantly.

 

Baekhyun laughs lightly and takes a hold of Sehun’s hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “You mean a lot to me, I’d hate to ruin what we have.”

 

Sehun suddenly couldn’t get enough air, he was breathing heavily. Baekhyun looked so cute, red tint spread across his cheeks, sweet smile playing on his lips, and his bed head sticking out everywhere. 

 

Sehun regrets what he did next, he really does. Honestly. He shouldn’t have done, not at all. But, really, he can’t bring himself to regret it completely.

 

Sehun leaned in close to Baekhyun, ignoring how the others eyes widened in the process, and pressed his lips possessively against Baekhyun’s. He felt it, if even just for a slight moment, Baekhyun reciprocated. He knows it was more because it’s been ages since Baekhyun has kissed anyone rather than because he has romantic feelings for Sehun, but his heart soars regardless.

 

Sehun finally relinquishes Baekhyun’s lips, concern etched on his face. Will Baekhyun yell at him? Will he kick him out? “I’m sorry…” Sehun stares hard at the covers, unable to look Baekhyun in the eye. “But not really.”

 

Baekhyun would like to say he’s completely dumbfounded, but he’s not clueless. He had an idea, but he also knew Sehun was still hooked on Luhan as well. “I’m not sure what to say Sehun… I still like Chanyeol.”

 

Sehun quickly ruffles Baekhyun’s hair. “I know that dummy.” Baekhyun looks up at his tall and slender friend. “I’m not confessing right now and I’m not expecting anything either. I just wanted to kiss you.”

 

“Pf…” Baekhyun tries to hold it in, but he can’t, he lets out a burst of laughter. Sehun’s grinning cockily and Baekhyun thinks he’s missed this face the most. He’d give plenty of kisses, so long as Chanyeol never found out, if it meant his friend could go back to being his normal self instead of the depressed lump he had to comfort yesterday.

 

“Did it feel good?”

 

“Huh?” Baekhyun his head to the side.

 

“The kiss.”

 

Baekhyun feels his temperature rise even more than before. “It… was nice…”

 

Sehun’s grin got wider and Baekhyun wasn’t sure he liked how haughty his friend was looking at him, Sehun suddenly had the upper hand. Baekhyun reaches for one of his spare pillows and takes the opportunity to use whatever was left of this strength to smack Sehun in the face for it. “Don’t get so arrogant, you .”

 

The two laugh loudly. Sehun had happy tears pricking the corner of his eyes. It felt so good to laugh after the fiasco yesterday. “Get some rest Hyung. If you need me just call.” With that, Sehun left the room.

 

Baekhyun would like to say he did some serious thinking about his and Sehun’s relationship after that and just what he would do about Chanyeol, but instead his illness got the better of him and he merely passed out.

 

 

 

The doorbell going off frantically woke Baekhyun from his slumber. Who in the world?

 

“I got it Hyung, stay in bed!” he hears Sehun yell from the other room.

 

There was some mumbling going on, but he couldn’t make out a single word. His door swings open, frightening him. There in the doorway was a scowling Sehun and a disheveled Chanyeol. Chanyeol was holding a convenient store bag, clad in a white lab coat and Baekhyun could now clearly see the guilt swimming in Chanyeol’s eyes. He walks briskly over and sets the contents of his grocery bag on the side table. Fever and pain medicine, sports drink for hydration and snacks. Sehun also comes over holding a thermometer.

 

“We’re gonna take your temperature again to see if your fever has come down any.”

 

Baekhyun nodded, feeling a little better than earlier. Sehun practically shoves Chanyeol out of the way in his attempt to get to Baekhyun’s bedside. He plops the thermometer in Baekhyun’s mouth and starts preparing the medicine for him to take along with a glass of water.

 

Chanyeol feels out of place. There’s a pang in his heart at the sight of Sehun taking care of Baekhyun, this was once his job. He remembers the day Baekhyun had a hangover and he also prepared medicine and water for Baekhyun. But he knows if not for Sehun being here, no one would be taking care of Baekhyun right now, certainly not himself. In fact if not for Sehun he would never have known. The thought reminds him just how detached he and Baekhyun have become.

 

Once Sehun’s done he finally turns to Chanyeol. “It’s gone down, but he does still have a fever.” Sehun hopes he didn’t catch the fever himself when he locked lips with Baekhyun, only because he’d have to trouble Baekhyun even more by getting sick. Sehun leaves the room, allowing the two time to talk.

 

After closing the door he leans against the cool wood in defeat. Life’s just not fair, he thinks as he stares at a stain on the carpet. He couldn’t keep those two apart, he couldn’t do that to Baekhyun. So instead he grits his teeth, glowers at the door and goes to make Baekhyun some porridge.

 

Chanyeol watches confused as Sehun leaves, he could feel the bitterness exuding from the other. “What’s his problem?”

 

“Jealous probably.”

 

Chanyeol whips his head back to Baekhyun. “Of me?”

 

“Well, yeah?” Baekhyun lets out a painful cough and Chanyeol frowns, handing Baekhyun the glass of water. “Thanks.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Cause I like you, he has some feelings for me, so it’s doubly not funny when you joke about us making a good couple.” Baekhyun deadpans.

 

“I knew it!”

 

Baekhyun narrows his eyes. “Well he’s not really a subtle person.”

 

“But you live together, doesn’t that make it hard?”

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “No, it’s not like he’s gonna take advantage of me.”

 

“Right. Right, that’s right.” Despite having sensed it Chanyeol’s still rather flustered over it.

 

“Thanks for the supplies.”

 

“No problem, but you really are overworking yourself. This proves it.”

 

“I know.” Baekhyun sighs and wipes the sweat off his forehead. “I think I’ll take a break. Maybe just a weekend off when I get better.” He takes another sip of the cold liquid. “Hot springs sound nice.”

 

Chanyeol twiddles his fingers together nervously, unsure of what to do.

 

“It’s okay Chanyeol, I know you didn’t mean it when you asked me to go on a road trip with you.” Baekhyun sighs and puts the wet rag laying limp over a bowl on his forehead. Ah, much better.

 

Chanyeol winces and gulps nervously.

 

“Besides what would Kai think?” Baekhyun points out, albeit bitterly.

 

Chanyeol suddenly felt he had cottonmouth and opened the sports drink before downing it nervously. The guilt Chanyeol felt only intensified once he found out Baekhyun had come down with a fever. He really was pure . Chanyeol fiddles with the hem of his coat’s sleeve. He had forgotten to take it off in his rush to get here. It makes him seem noble, showing up in such a hurry with things a sick person would need, but the reality isn’t so pretty. He realizes he came more for himself than for the sickly boy in front of him. He needed to see just how bad Baekhyun was, in hopes that Sehun was simply overreacting, so his own conscience could be cleared. But seeing Baekhyun in this state, in person, feels worse than the punch in the gut he received the day he told Baekhyun how hard it was to be around him. Chanyeol felt sprinkles of water splatter across his face. His eyes finally raise from the hole he had mentally burned into the sports drink from his intense gaze. His eye’s meet with Baekhyun’s coffee brown orbs. Coffee…

 

Chanyeol was ready to hold a whole other rant in his mind about how coffee has so much to do with his current predicament, but Baekhyun clears his throat before Chanyeol had the chance. Chanyeol finds himself juggling the sports drink as a result of being surprised out of his reverie from Baekhyun’s voice. “U-uh yes?”

 

Baekhyun’s frown is noticeable. “That’s what I should be asking, you haven’t said a word for the last five minutes.”

 

Chanyeol decides redirecting the conversation would be best. “You’ve changed a lot.” As if opening a whole new can of worms was any better. Chanyeol would so gladly smash his head against Baekhyun’s pretty eggshell blue walls.

 

Baekhyun purses his lips in that cute way he always would when he was thinking of a smart remark. “You’re not quite the same either you big oaf.”

 

“You’re rebuttals have gotten weak.”

 

“Fever’s gotten to my head, too tired to do better so bear with me.” The sarcasm that drips from the sentence is more than enough to have Chanyeol chuckling nervously. He’s gone and made Baekhyun mad, awesome. He’s doing just dandy today.

 

“Well like… how to say... it feels like you’re more put together?” Oh god… did he really just say that. Chanyeol squeezes the bottle in his grasp, as if the plastic mold could save him from Baekhyun’s wrath.

 

But instead of lashing out all he hears is a heavy sigh that sounded like it carried the weight of the world.

 

“Circumstances forced me to grow up.”

 

Guilt. Guilt. Guilt.

 

Chanyeol felt like throwing up from all the remorse he feels. He never thought he could be on this end of the stick after blaming Baekhyun for so long.

 

“On the other hand, Chanyeol you seem to have gone backwards.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You don’t seem all that mature these days. Did all the hatred you felt fry your social skills?” Chanyeol no longer believed the fever was muddling Baekhyun’s brain, that remark was quite an appropriate one for a smartass.

 

“Couldn’t say.” Chanyeol curses himself, could he really not come up with anything better?

 

“Is it just to me?” Chanyeol stands in silence. He really doesn’t want to talk about anything that would weigh more on his conscience. “It is.” Chanyeol would like to refute, but really he just can’t. Baekhyun’s right on the money after all. Always is these days.

 

“I just need some time.” At Baekhyun’s sad smile he feels like crying in frustration. “Don’t get me wrong, I feel like a total . I know that. I just don’t know what else to do Baek! It’s like my body and my mouth just move on instinct, an instinct to ignore you or to see you as a nuisance.” He ignores the flinch in Baekhyun’s eyes, he really wants to get this off his chest. “But then my mind is all like ‘no Chanyeol! He’s a good guy, he’s your old best friend, he’s in love with you’ and all my body can do in response is shut off while my mind goes on these stupidly long rants about us and our past and how everything I believed for the last three years is a stupid lie concocted by my own dumb misunderstanding for not hearing you out earlier. It’s stressful! It’s tiresome!” He sighs in relief when he notices the pain in Baekhyun’s eyes had morphed into understanding. Chanyeol bends down next to Baekhyun’s bed and takes the frail, yet elegant hand in his own. “I really do feel immature these days, you’re so right. Why are you always right?” He asks Baekhyun with strain, but also a hint of amusement.

 

Baekhyun gives him a real smile this time, pearly white teeth showing beneath petal pink lips. “I’m smart. I guess I got smarter than even you in the time that’s passed.”

 

Chanyeol lets out a hearty laugh and leans his forehead against the back of Baekhyun’s palm. “Oh smart one, please help me.” In the moment, to a passerby, it would seem like he was joking. But to the two of them, they knew it was a desperate cry for help.

 

“Hey Yeol, how about we really go on that road trip.” Chanyeol bites his cheek to keep from refuting. He doesn’t really think the two of them on a trip together is that great of an idea, even though he’s the one who technically came up with it first. “You, me, Kai, Kyungsoo and Sehun. I’ll close the shop for the weekend so we can go to the hot springs. A company trip practically, except for you.” Chanyeol is astonished to say the least. It’s actually a decent idea. “I can’t have all this awkward atmosphere clouding my shop, it’d be a pain in the .”

 

“Okay. Okay, yeah. That sounds good.”

 

“Great, tell Kai for me. Also when you leave tell Sehun I need to talk to him.” Chanyeol almost pouts, wondering what all they’re going to talk about. “I should hopefully be better by this weekend, so we’ll plan for then.”

 

Chanyeol nods before rising himself from the floor. He dusts off his suits pants and straightens the lab coat. “Get better soon Baek.”

 

Baekhyun flashes him another dazzling smile, “You bet.”

 

With that Chanyeol makes his leave, not before gruffly telling Sehun that Baekhyun needed to talk with him. He certainly didn’t miss the glint in his friend’s eye at the mention of Baekhyun. This road trip may not be a great idea after all.

 

 

Authors Note

Thank you all, my precious and patient subscribers. Sorry theres no roadtrip in this chapter, but it was already getting so long that I decided I'd leave it here and give the road trip its own chapter. Yessums, I'm back. For real for real. This chapter isn't beta'd and I'm about to go to work so I don't have the time to look over for mistakes, will do so later. Have a great day!~

Thank's all of you who left me encouraging messages to continue with this story. I love it a lot too ^A^