Good Morning

Double Shot

 

Baekhyun jolts as his phone buzzes on top of the coffee table before Girls Generation Gee bursts through the dark room. Baekhyun groans and reaches his arm out to search for the blasted device with his eyes still closed.

 

He doesn’t open today!

 

Why, why, why, why, wh-

 

“Baekhyun, where are you!” Sehun’s voice booms through the phones speaker as soon as Baekhyun finally answers.

 

Oh.

 

“Dammit Sehun I was sleeping!”

 

“Baekhyun you’re not home and it’s six in the morning. I know you don’t open so where the are you?”

 

“SIX AM!” Baekhyun screeches before quickly covering his mouth, hearing shuffling from down the hallway.

 

Crap, did he wake Chanyeol?

 

“Sehun I’m at Chanyeol’s. We got dinner last night.”

 

“Did you sleep with him?”

 

“What? No!” Baekhyun’s eyes widen at the cough from above him. He slowly trails his eyes upwards to see Chanyeol hovering over him from behind the couch. “Sehun gotta go.” And he hangs up on the blonde who was still in mid-rant.

 

“You sure you’re not dating?” Chanyeol smirks at Baekhyun’s sputtering face.

 

“It’s not like that!” he defends. “He’s morning barista today so he got up early and noticed I wasn’t home.”

 

Chanyeol just hums indifferently before moving to the doorway to put his shoes on.

 

“Wait!”

 

Chanyeol looks over at Baekhyun questioningly.

 

“Let me go with you! I have to get my car before it gets keyed by some anyway. I could drive you?” Baekhyun thinks of another excuse to get Chanyeol to stick with him. “And get your coffee free?” he gives Chanyeol his most hopeful eyes, praying Chanyeol doesn’t refuse.

 

Chanyeol shrugs, understanding the perks.

 

Baekhyun jumps from his spot on the couch. “Can I just borrow these? They’re more comfortable and it’s six am and I don’t work and-“

 

“Yes.”

 

Chanyeol swears he sees Baekhyun’s eyes twinkle… It’s too early for this.

 

Baekhyun grabs his phone and shoves his feet in his shoes before following Chanyeol out the door.

 

They walk in silence as they reach Baekhyun’s car. There were so many things Baekhyun wanted to say, but he couldn’t. He had no idea how to form a serious conversation at six am. His brain was still malfunctioning from the sudden wakeup call that he absolutely was not expecting. If not for Chanyeol beside him he’d definitely still want to be curled back up in his best friend’s apartment with blankets that happened to smell just like the tall giant next to him.

 

Before Baekhyun can even try to open the door for him Chanyeol’s already on the passenger side holding onto the handle, waiting for Baekhyun to unlock the car. They slide in as Baekhyun starts the vehicle wordlessly. Deciding he’s tired of the silent treatment he’s determined to do something Chanyeol might enjoy, despite it being the crack of dawn. He syncs his phone to the cars stereo and plays one of Chanyeol’s favorite English artists, Coldplay. He remembers when Chanyeol would play his guitar and sing along to their songs, trying to coax Baekhyun into singing with him. He always said Baekhyun sang it better.

 

Baekhyun glances up at other to look for a reaction. Sadly the most he gets is a twitch of the lips, but he convinces himself it was Chanyeol suppressing a smile.

 

Satisfied; Baekhyun finally pulls out and drives toward his café.

 

Baekhyun parallel parks right out front and the two get out together. Baekhyun manages to actually hold the coffee shop’s door open for Chanyeol who just pats Baekhyun on the head. When the two look ahead they’re greeted by Sehun who’s scowling at Chanyeol.

 

“Just what exactly happened between you two anyway?”

 

Chanyeol gulps, remembering how Baekhyun was the reason for their conflict. “Uhm… We just drank too much and said things we didn’t mean.” The younger bites his lip, wondering if he really didn’t mean it.

 

Baekhyun shrugs and walks to take an apron, tying it around his waist. He hip bumps the blonde out from behind the counter and points a finger first at Chanyeol then at the lounge section. “Go.” He immediately starts on Chanyeol’s drink, figuring in the mean time the two can talk out their differences.

 

Sehun pouts and reluctantly drags his feet to the couch. Chanyeol follows obediently. Right as the elder is about to take a seat next to the other he feels a foot shoving against his behind.

 

“Sehun…”

 

“Don’t sit next to me, there’re plenty of seats over there” The blonde motions over to the recliners across the coffee table.

 

Chanyeol gives him a weary look. “Don’t you think you’re being childish?”

 

“As if I care.”

 

Chanyeol flinches, but takes the blow in stride, moving to one of the recliners. “Fine, we’ll do it your way.” Sehun just looks at him expectantly. “I got carried away that night.”

 

“You insulted him Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol bites his lip. Of course he insulted him! He thought Baekhyun had rejected him after stringing him along. He didn’t know. He just didn’t know! Chanyeol raises his head, eyes filled with desperation. “I didn’t know the truth” his voice cracks, making him seem even weaker. He was just so confused with his own feelings.

 

Sehun sighs. Chanyeol would laugh at how mature the younger looks with his slightly aggravated face and crossed legs and arms, but he’s much too vulnerable what with having his feelings on display for Sehun to look over and throw in his face at any time to be dwelling on the other’s posture. “Apologize to him.”

 

“Eh?” Chanyeol looks up with bug eyes. “But he doesn’t even know.”

 

“He’s been hurting for three years just so you can come back to insult him, have him make your coffee and then throw your relationship with Jongin in his face!” Sehun’s face was red and he was breathing heavily, anyone could tell he was frustrated. Chanyeol had to admit he was scared Sehun was ready to deck him in the jaw.

 

“If I apologize will we, you and me, be okay again?”

 

Sehun gives him a stern look that sends shivers down his spine. “…Yeah…  As long as you don’t do or say something stupid again.” Sehun thinks for a moment before continuing. “And tell him everything you told me.”

 

A broad grin etches its way onto Chanyeol’s face. In no time he’s giving the younger a bear hug and ruffling the blonde hair out of place.

 

“St-stop it!” Chanyeol takes no heed and rubs his chin on Sehun’s hair. “Chanyeol!”

 

It’s someone clearing their throat in the background that gets Chanyeol to finally let go of Sehun.  Sehun looks a disaster with his messy blonde hair sticking out every which way and his clothes crumpled from the intensive squishing treatment he received from the dumb giant of a hyung. However Baekhyun just looks on at the two fondly, despite the stupid antics. With a warm smile gracing his face Baekhyun speaks, “Sehun go get cleaned up in the back, I’ll take care of the store until you’re actually somewhat presentable.”

 

“Hyung!” Baekhyun grins at him and ruffles his already disastrous hair. “Hyung!” Sehun swats the hand away in annoyance and walks through the ‘employee only’ door grumbling about stupid older people and their stupid obsession with stupid hair.

 

“You sure you’re not dating?”

 

Baekhyun jumps at the deep voice beside him. “Of course I’m sure. I wouldn’t be after you if we were.”

 

“You two would make a cute couple.”

 

Baekhyun winces at the pang in his heart. “Don’t say that…”

 

“What?” Baekhyun hates the oblivious look on Chanyeol’s face right now. He hates the way his lean body towers above his own and the way he cockily has his arms crossed together as if he knows everything. He definitely does not know everything.

 

Baekhyun loses his rationality and takes hold of Chanyeol’s tie, pulling so that the taller man’s face is just inches from his own. If Chanyeol doesn’t understand, Baekhyun’s more than willing to shed light on the subject.

 

“Don’t say we make a cute couple when the only person I want to be with is you. I could have had my pickings, but I very well know I made a mistake in that airport. I should have been clearer. So I’ve waited for you.”

 

Chanyeol sighs and gently places his hand over Baekhyun’s clenched fist. “But that doesn’t mean I’m going to fall for you Baekhyun. People change.” Chanyeol almost feels guilty that he can’t promise Baekhyun anything because the other looks so, so determined.

 

The fire in Baekhyun’s eyes doesn’t even waver and his grip on the cloth grows tighter. “Chanyeol, you think I don’t know that? Have you ignored everything I said at dinner yesterday?” Baekhyun finally lets the tie go and steps back. Chanyeol watches the raven haired boy roll his eyes. “I’m not asking you to return my feelings, just respect them.” The smaller pokes the giant in the chest and looks into his eyes with tenacity. “Acknowledge that they exist, don’t ignore me, and let me pursue you.”

 

Chanyeol tries to recover from the bewilderedness he’s experiencing fast, but his wide eyes and open mouth probably gave him away. He should have expected something like this from Baekhyun; this was his Baekhyun after all. Well, not his, but his friend from the majority of his life. When he feels like he can speak stably without stuttering he finally replies. “You still have quite the temper don’t you?” Dammit, that’s not it! The glare Baekhyun’s sending his way makes him feel even smaller than the short boy before him. “I’ll accept your feelings! I can’t return them right now though… I don’t know if I ever will either…”

 

“It’s fine Yeol.” Baekhyun moves closer and reaches his hands out; ignoring Chanyeol’s flinch he fixes the younger’s tie back to a professional state. “You waited for me for like eight or so years, it’s the least I can do.”

 

Chanyeol jumps before whispering, “You knew?”

 

“I figured it out a little before you were gone. I was pretty dense there for a while and I really do apologize for that. I must have hurt you a lot…”

 

Chanyeol suddenly has the urge to hug the life out of the ebony haired boy. The little person caused him more trouble than anyone else and as much as he wants to strangle the guy for making him feel this way he wants to kiss that little pink mouth too. Their relationship couldn’t possibly be healthy like this.

 

Before Chanyeol could even reply the door by the counter swings open to reveal a much more dashing Sehun. “Good you’ve cleaned up!” Baekhyun chirps, leaving Chanyeol’s side. Baekhyun gives Sehun a pat on the cheek which makes the other scowl. “Oh come on, no customers are ganna come If you look like that!”

 

“Hyung stop treating me like a little kid.”

 

“Says the person who acts like one the most.”

 

Sehun grasps Baekhyun’s wrist and pulls the smaller into him harshly, causing Baekhyun to collide into his chest. Sehun leans down to whisper into the elder’s ear, “Yet you’re the one that looks like a kid hyung.”

 

Oh no he didn’t.

 

Baekhyun stomps on Sehun’s foot, hard. The youngest yelps and let’s go immediately to tend to his, what feels like, broken appendage.

 

“Now hobble yourself over to the counter and get to work.” Sehun groans, but Baekhyun just smiles and pinches his cheek. “I don’t pay you for nothing sweet cheeks!” The elder lets him go and directs his attention back to Chanyeol. “Ready to go?”

 

Chanyeol nods before picking his drink up off the table. “Yeah…” he mutters, mind still shaken from his and Baekhyun’s confrontation.

 

“Great, let’s go then!”

 

Right as Baekhyun is about to bound out the door with Chanyeol at his heels he hears Sehun yell out. They turn to give the blonde their attention, Baekhyun looking slightly irked. “Don’t forget what I said Chanyeol. Now’s a great time don’t you think?”

 

Baekhyun watches as Chanyeol bites his lip and his eyes look downcast. “What’s he talking about?”

 

“I’ll tell you in the car” Chanyeol says quickly and hurries past Baekhyun, straight to the passenger side of the vehicle.

 

The elder sighs but follows and adjusts himself in the front seat. “What was he talking about Chanyeol?”

 

“I don’t mean to be rude, but can we be on our way? I don’t want to be late…”

 

“Don’t avoid the question.” Baekhyun sets his eyes on the road as he pulls out and merges into traffic. “Tell me while we drive.”

 

“The reason Sehun and I fought was because of you.” He watches Baekhyun’s expression, but he only glances his way before focusing back on the road. “He asked about our relationship and I pretty much said we didn’t have one…” Baekhyun his bottom lip in, but stays silent. “He said I didn’t deserve you and I kind of blurted out that I didn’t want you anyway…” Chanyeol was sure the temperature just dropped. It felt unusually cold and the way Baekhyun was squinting his eyes was slightly terrifying. They just managed to patch things up, he’d really feel like a douchebag if things already started heading south because of a drunken mistake.

 

“You’re an .” Baekhyun voice was expressionless, but Chanyeol almost thought he could hear a bit of sarcasm. He really hoped it wasn’t his imagination.

 

“…I know.” It’s probably best to just accept whatever Baekhyun decides to throw at him right now.

 

“I hope you won’t purposely hurt my feelings in the future. That’s just rude.”

 

“Never again.”

 

Baekhyun hums in approval. “Good.”

 

Baekhyun steers his car into the hospitals parking lot and sets the car in park. “I demand a hug before you go. You know, for hurting my feelings and all.”

 

Oh yeah, that was definitely sarcasm Chanyeol heard earlier.

 

The taller laughs lightly, relieved to feel the tension slipping away. He leans over the arm rest in between them and snatches the little raven into his arms. He sighs when he feels Baekhyun’s hands slide onto his back.

 

They pull away right before it was about to get awkward. “Have a good day at work. Don’t stress too much, you over think all the time.” Chanyeol grins and ruffles the elder’s hair.

 

“I worked hard on this bedhead you .”

 

“You should fix that mouth of yours.” He watches as the other rolls his eyes. “Do you work today or is it your day off?”

 

Baekhyun snorts before throwing a fit of laughter, as if that was the funniest thing he’s ever heard. When he finally calms down he pats Chanyeol on the back in good nature. “I don’t have off days.”

 

Chanyeol frowns. Is the café really that busy? Or is it because of his other job… Before Chanyeol can ask questions Baekhyun’s pushing him out the door with the best of his abilities. “Don’t forget your coffee, you’re ganna be late dummy!”

 

Chanyeol glances at his watch before letting out a squeal. Oh yeah, if he didn’t sprint he was well on his way to being late. Doctors aren’t late. Chanyeol grabs the coffee from Baekhyun and dashes to the entrance, not even glancing back because doctors aren’t late!

 

 

Author's Note

Oh jeez guys, I'm so sorry. I decided to go ahead and give you what I had and I'll give you a nice juicy chapter next time around. (Spoiler: It'll include Baekhyun's convenient store job, tao, and of course Chanyeol!)

As of right now I got a new job, new hours (50+ hrs/week), I'm working on a love interest even! (Wish me luck) Ugh not to mention these holidays! So many people to buy for! So much shopping! So much money! I sound like an old lady yet I'm onlyin my teens ;~; I go back to college (hopefully) next fall. I'm not even going to try and think about how busy I'll be then!

Guys I also entered into baeconandeggs fic exchange! I'm super excited for that :) If you're a writer and are interested sign up HERE

Ooh! And I just got a new laptop! I just finished dling Word and immediately wrote the finishing page for chapter five.

So please, please, please forgive me! And continue putting up with this story because I really love it and promise to never give up on it or you guys! (So matter how busy I get!)