Dispel Fears

Double Shot

WARNING: Cussing & One/two sentence(s) mentioning past drug abuse (During elaboration on the KAISOO)

 

Baekhyun sighs at the padlock to his apartment. He’s been standing there for a good five minutes lost in his thoughts. He can’t help but feel he made a mistake hiring Jongin. Then again he wonders if maybe this is a good chance for Soo and Jongin to restart whatever relationship they had before it went to the pits. If he can save another relationship from ending like his and Chanyeol’s he’d do it in a heartbeat.

 

Just as he’s about to enter his passcode, the door swings open, sending Baekhyun ten feet into the air from fright. “Sheesh Sehun!” he scolds, lightly smacking the boy’s shoulder as punishment.

 

“Oh, sorry hyung.” He mutters and steps to the side, giving Baekhyun space to slide into their shared apartment. “I thought I heard some noise and when I looked through the peep hole you were just standing there with your mouth open and eyebrows furrowed. Must have been concentrating pretty hard, huh?” Sehun teases with a smirk.

 

“Shut up twerp.” He settles his briefcase down and slips off his shoes, sighing as he stuffs his feet into the fuzzy slippers. Before he gets any further Baekhyun takes in his roommate’s appearance with disapproval “Sehun why in the are you only wearing a towel?”

 

“I just got out of the shower, chill.”

 

“And you always answer the door like that?” Baekhyun’s honestly curious. His friend has a great body, worthy of being shown off, but that’s still a bit vain and he’s pretty sure anyone would be more than slightly uncomfortable if the door opened to reveal some y god of a guy leaning against the door frame with water droplets trickling down his face and collar bones while wearing nothing but a towel loosely around his waist. Breathe Baekhyun, he reminds himself before swallowing thickly and his suddenly dry lips. He really does need to chill, in a completely different way.  

 

It’s been too long since I got laid, he thinks frustrated.

 

“Nah, but I knew it was you so no biggy.” Sehun pulls out his adorable smile. Baekhyun can’t help but groan and put a hand to his forehead, receiving a funny look from his companion. “What’s got your in a twist?” Baekhyun just rolls his eyes, completely done with the fact his friend entirely neglects the fact he rooms with a gay man and that Sehun himself was fairly attractive. Of course his heart lies elsewhere so it doesn’t change anything.

 

Baekhyun waves Sehun’s nosy self away with a hand. “I’m having dinner with Soo tonight.” He mentions and he sets into the kitchen to make himself some hot green tea.

 

Sehun’s quick to follow and put his arms around Baekhyun’s waist while the elder busies himself with putting water in the kettle. He has an urge to take one of the sharp kitchen knives in front of him and gouge his eyes out. He’s used to Sehun being touchy, but usually that involved him being clothed. Instead he focuses on putting the kettle atop the oven and setting the proper temperature. “Make me some too hyung!”

 

“Alright, alright,” Baekhyun mumbles, lightly shrugging Sehun off him so he can move into the living room and rest on the large plush couch. “You work soon?”

 

The younger nods his head with a light pout on his face. “Yeah, if neither you nor Soo are ganna be there who will keep me company?”

 

Baekhyun’s already lounging with his legs outstretched on the cushions while holding the T.V. remote, lazily flipping through channels. “Nothing good’s on…” Baekhyun flickers his eyes up to the blonde and smiles mischievously. “Jongin and Yixing~”

 

“Did you know Jongin is like…Chanyeol’s new thing?” Baekhyun winces at this, but brushes it off nonetheless. Sehun notices however and goes over to the small boy, resting his hand on the strong shoulder and giving it a squeeze. “Is that one of the things you and Soo are going to be talking about tonight?”

 

Baekhyun smiles up to Sehun guilty, “Probably.” Just then the kettle lets out a high pitched screeching sound. “How about you go get that since your still standing?” Baekhyun gives Sehun his best puppy dog eyes which has the other groaning, but walking to the kitchen anyways. “And after you make our tea go put some clothes on!” Baekhyun shouts after him, receiving a nice ‘shut up hyung,’ in return.

 

 

 

 

Once Sehun heads for work and Baekhyun’s finished his steaming mug of tea he feels it’s high time he trudges up to Kyungsoo’s apartment, which just happens to be two floors above his own.

 

He raps his knuckles against the door in the melody of a children’s song, this time he picked The Three Bears, to give Kyungsoo the heads-up that it was indeed Baekhyun standing outside of his apartment. They had made it a code a long time ago and Baekhyun never really got the full explanation, but Kyungsoo was pretty adamant about it so he just went with it. The door opens to reveal a disheveled looking Kyungsoo and Baekhyun cringes.

 

“You look like you haven’t showered in a week.”

 

Kyungsoo just grunts in reply before walking back into his house leaving Baekhyun to enter alone. It’s okay, he’s used to it.

 

“So what’s on the menu for tonight?” Baekhyun asks as he follows his friend into the small, pristine kitchen.

 

“I don’t know, I was thinking stew?” Kyungsoo says after propping himself onto one of the stools set by the kitchen’s island.

 

Baekhyun flinches at the suggestion, reminded of his recent dream, but shakes it off. “How about we make that kimchi spaghetti you always seem to like?”

 

“That sounds good too.” Kyungsoo nods in agreement before sliding off his seat and pulling out ingredients. “Get my large pan and pot out.”

 

Baekhyun obliges, pleased with the change of food arrangements. Kyungsoo switches him spots and orders Baekhyun to cut all the vegetables while he worked on boiling the noodles and fixing the rice. The two worked intently until their masterpiece was finished, Kyungsoo adding the final spices.

 

Kyungsoo experimentally dips a spoon into the sauce and brings it to his lips, eyes scrunching in satisfaction. “Perfect!” he chimes, holding the spoon out for Baekhyun to try as well. Baekhyun smiles at his friend’s livelier appearance and joyfully takes the spoon in his mouth, giving his friend thumbs up at the taste. Kyungsoo returns it with his heart shaped smile.

 

The two set the table and Baekhyun puts decent sized portions on each of their plates. While they finally dig in, Baekhyun finds the confidence to ask a question he’s been wondering since they talked about Jongin.

 

“So what things did Jong-“ Kyungsoo puts up a hand, stopping Baekhyun midsentence, before slurping up the last of the bite he had just recently taken.

 

“Not at the table Baek.”

 

Baekhyun pouts and bats his eyelashes. “But Soo-“

 

“No.” Kyungsoo shuts him out. At Baekhyun’s crestfallen look Kyungsoo sighs and taps Baekhyun’s hand in a somewhat comforting gesture. “All our secrets come out when we’re crying like babies over some drama where the character’s lives are way worse than ours will ever be.”

 

Baekhyun nods and finished his dinner silently, anxiously waiting for their conversation later. He needs advice about Chanyeol too; he’s at a total standstill with his giant best friend… Ex best friend… Nope he can’t handle that, Chanyeol’s still his goofy giant best friend.

 

So when the time comes their nestled on the couch full of fluffy comforters and a pillow for each to soak their tears into. It usually morphs into one of them laying on top of the other and drenching their shirt, good thing they make sure to wear only graphic tees and sweat pants to this event. Baekhyun watches as Kyungsoo finally pops in his choice of the night ‘I’m sorry, I love you,’ and squeaks in surprise.

 

“No! Not that one Soo!” The look of devastation on Baekhyun’s face only makes Kyungsoo grin and put the disc in all the more enthusiastically. ”That ones so depressing, oh my god!”

 

“That’s the point Baek.”

 

“I’ll run out of tears before we even get to talking!”

 

“We’ll probably only get to finish half of it before tomorrow.” Kyungsoo looks up and gives Baekhyun an indescribable look. “Besides, I’ve really got a lot of things to get off my chest tonight that are also pretty depressing.” He glances at the menu screen that’s popped up. “It suits my mood.”

 

Baekhyun gives a sympathetic look to Kyungsoo before patting the spot beside him. When Kyungsoo starts to make his way up Baekhyun hits the play button on the remote, deciding he really needed to brace himself for tonight. This dinner night seemed a bit more serious than previous ones and he really wanted to be there for his best friend. The best friend that he’s not in love with, but loves so much he’d still willingly give him everything he possibly could. Once he feels the space beside him dip he curls into Kyungsoo’s side, head resting on the younger’s shoulder, arms squeezing his torso, and legs plopped onto Kyungsoo’s lap. He smiles when he feels Kyungsoo reciprocate the action by draping an arm around Baekhyun’s shoulders.

 

“I’m pretty sure you’re the younger one out of the two of us,” Kyungsoo comments, “or at least the girl.” He finishes with a grin.

 

Baekhyun growls and pinches Kyungsoo’s side. “Shut up. I like skin ship, so sue me.”

 

“I could for ual harassment.” Kyungsoo just shrugs and lays his head onto Baekhyun’s raven hair. “But then who would I have dinner nights with?”

 

“Exactly.” Baekhyun mumbles, eyes fixed on the screen as Yune almost shows his private bits to Eun Jae, but she closes her eyes.

 

                ‘What? Am I like a guy to you?’ Yune says jokingly.

 

“He’s such an .”

 

“An oblivious .” Kyungsoo corrects.

 

“He probably has a nice …”

 

“Stop there,” Kyungsoo says abruptly.

 

Baekhyun laughs and smacks Kyungsoo’s shoulder playfully before nuzzling into the younger’s neck.

 

“Hey Soo…” Baekhyun interrupts after a while. The other just hums in response. “Do you think people really play with love like Min Joo? Like they see it as a game to get someone to fall for them?”

 

“Definitely.” Kyungsoo raises his hand from Baekhyun’s shoulder and gently brushes Baekhyun’s bangs out of his eyes. “But I don’t think we know anyone like that.”

 

“Or anyone like her!” Baekhyun spits out at the girl who cheats on her fiancé openly for a man with more money.

 

Kyungsoo nods. “Now try to settle down. We’ve only gotten through like the first ten minutes of the episode.”

 

Baekhyun bites his lip. “Sorry.”

 

Baekhyun does his best to stay quiet for the rest of the time, only letting out the occasional grunts and squeals at what happens in the drama. When the ending credits for the first episode go up Baekhyun tackles Kyungsoo to the couch, pinning the younger beneath him.

 

“Sorry, I can’t wait any longer.” Kyungsoo just looks up at him with wide, confused eyes at the compromising position they’re in. “I need you to spill about Jongin.” He watches as Kyungsoo sighs in relief and pushes himself up, bringing Baekhyun along with him, to a sitting position.

 

“Alright, fine.” The opening music video begins to play, signaling the beginning of the second episode. But Baekhyun can’t bring himself to care as he focuses on the intensity of Kyungsoo’s eyes.

 

“We met each other in middle school and we weren’t exactly instantly close. He was popular and I was sort of a nerd. School was really important to me and I was obsessed with getting A’s on every test. Jongin on the other hand was a huge socialite, he loved everybody and everybody loved him.” Kyungsoo paused and looked into Baekhyun’s eyes for some sort of conformation that he was listening. Baekhyun gave him a reassuring smile and nodded for him to continue. “One day I was getting bullied for being such a dweeb.” Kyungsoo spits out bitterly. “Jongin saw me get pushed into a wall when he was walking by with some friends and it was like he just snapped. He literally threw the guys off me like sandbags. He looked so scary, but then when he came up to check and see if I was alright he was back to the innocent sweetheart everybody knew. We became inseparable after that.” Kyungsoo raises himself from the couch. “Want anything to drink? It’s going to be a long story.”

 

Baekhyun nods. “Coffee!”

 

“At eight in the afternoon? ...Really?”

 

“We’re going to be up a while so shush.”

 

“You’re obsessed.” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, but doesn’t object anymore and leaves to make their drinks. Baekhyun fiddles with the blanket corner, a frown tugging on his lips. Being in this melancholic mood doesn’t help him get his mind off of Chanyeol; it only makes him miss the guy more. He’s pretty sure Kyungsoo might have meant that he’s obsessed with Chanyeol rather than coffee. He knows that the only reason Baekhyun’s addicted to coffee is because of Chanyeol in the first place.

 

Kyungsoo returns and gently hands Baekhyun the steaming mug full of brown liquid. “Probably not as good as yours, but it’ll do.”

 

Baekhyun smiles into his first sip and waves Kyungsoo on with a hand to continue his story.

 

“Okay well…” Kyungsoo begins, taking a deep breath to prepare himself for the monologue he was about to give. “Jongin definitely liked me during high school; I bet you might have noticed that at the party we went to. But I was still unsure of my feelings so I just acted oblivious. I really loved the guy, I just didn’t know if I wanted to jeopardize our current relationship for a new one. But he was so persistent with taking me out on ‘It’s not a date, but it could be if you wanted it to be,’ dates. That’s what he always said until in freshman year of college I actually semi agreed. I told him we could try. It was basically a trial period. So we moved in together. It was going great at first, it felt so domestic and homely and I loved it. I was falling harder for the boy each day I came home from college to him doing nothing but doting on me because he knew how stressful school was for me.”

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip and Baekhyun noticed the pearls of tears gathering in his eyes. Baekhyun leaned in and wiped them away with his index fingers and thumbs. Baekhyun knew remembering the good days were sometimes the most painful, only because of how happy you were then in contrast to now. Kyungsoo swallows down the lump in his throat and after recollecting himself he continues.

 

“I knew he wanted to be a dancer and I was okay with that. He had so much talent it’d be a waste if he didn’t pursue it. But one day, when he finished a routine at some club he went to weekly to perform, he was approached by a guy that said he could make him famous. Jongin bought into it immediately, but soon to find out he was hired into the stripper business. It paid well and Jongin only saw it as a gateway to real dancing. That maybe someone was going to spot him at a strip club of all places and see him as worthwhile.” Kyungsoo was glowering down at his tea, clearly upset over Jongin’s ignorance. “It’s a waste of his talent to be there! He can do so much better! And I told him this, I told him to quit. I told him I wouldn’t be with him if he kept such a dirty job.” His voice cracked and Baekhyun winced, it was the saddest and most heartbroken he had ever seen Kyungsoo. He was quick to pull Kyungsoo into his lap, surprising the boy with his strength. With Kyungsoo’s back pressed against Baekhyun’s chest, the latter squeezed Kyungsoo tightly. Kyungsoo sighed and placed his hands atop Baekhyun’s before continuing. “Jongin looked at me so hurt that day, but he refused to quit. He was really determined since he thought it would lead to his dream. He didn’t understand why I couldn’t support him. As time went by like that we got more distant until I noticed Jongin was never in his right mind. He was either on pills, pot or drunk when he came home. One day he stopped coming home and I hadn’t seen him since… Not until now anyway.”

 

Kyungsoo turned around in Baekhyun’s arms, facing the older. He took at the frown that marred Baekhyun’s cute face and patted his cheek. Baekhyun took hold of the hand, keeping it by his warm skin, and lowered his eyes in thought.

 

“Our love lives are pretty messed up.” Kyungsoo chuckled bitterly and nodded. “Why haven’t you told me about this before? It’s a pretty big secret to be keeping from your current best friend.”

 

“It just hurts to talk about Baek… I don’t know. It wasn’t on purpose. If you ever asked I would have told you, like now.”

 

Baekhyun wraps his arms back around the younger and rests his head on Kyungsoo’s chest.

 

“So what is it that you want to say?” Kyungsoo asks and quirks an eyebrow.

 

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun mumbles through the fabric of Kyungsoo’s shirt.

 

“I know you have something you want to ask, you have from the moment you walked through my door.”

 

The raven haired boy groans. “Stop reading my mind.”

 

“Then stop being so obvious.” Kyungsoo pats Baekhyun’s hair, waiting for a reply.

 

Baekhyun wants to retort with something childish like shut up, but his problem is more important that his dignity. “What should I do now that Chanyeol is back?”

 

“I was expecting you to ask this sooner, like the first week he showed up.” Baekhyun shrugs. “Do you still like him?”

 

Baekhyun finally looks up from cotton to give Kyungsoo an ‘are you dumb?’ look before resuming his previous position.

 

“No need to be rude you ungrateful brat. Is he dating anybody?” Kyungsoo notices Baekhyun’s whole body tense up at the question and feels sympathetic for the boy.

 

“Maybe, it’s not confirmed.” He leaves out the part about Jongin, not wanting to upset Kyungsoo any more than he already was about the younger.

 

“Is it somebody we know?” Well there goes Baekhyun’s good intention, right out the window.

 

“Jongin,” Baekhyun rasps out.

 

Kyungsoo flinches, but doesn’t ask anything more about it. “Do you still want to go after him?”

 

“Yes.” Kyungsoo sighs in relief at Baekhyun’s answer. He wants to say it’s just because he believes that Baekhyun and Chanyeol are meant for each other, but he knows there’s another reason too.

 

“You should ask him out.”

 

Baekhyun sputters. “I can’t do that!” he says when he finally raises his head. “He hates me!”

 

“I highly doubt that’s possible Baek. I mean you know Chanyeol better than anyone.”

 

“Not anymore.”

 

“He doesn’t hate you.”

 

“No, but he wants to hate me! I know it!”

 

Kyungsoo nods, thoughtful. “Maybe.”

 

“Hey! You’re supposed to be supportive right now.”

 

The younger rolls his eyes at his childish friend. “Baekhyun he thinks you rejected him. You need to make it clear that you didn’t. Make him listen to you.”

 

“What if it’s too late?” Baekhyun receives a particularly large blow on his left shoulder curtesy of Kyungsoo. “Ow! What the hell?”

 

“You were the one who said you’d chase after him no matter what when he came back.” He pulls Baekhyun into a headlock, leaning down to whisper in his ear. “Since when did you become such chicken ?”

 

“! I’m not!” Baekhyun elbows his friend in the stomach and Kyungsoo finally let’s go.

 

“Then prove it and man up. Ask the guy to dinner and try to explain that you’re absolutely head over heels for him.”

 

Baekhyun sits in silence for a while, thinking of his options with Chanyeol. He really doesn’t want to be stuck as Chanyeol’s barista for the rest of his life. He really wants Chanyeol to understand why he said no in that airport. He really wants Chanyeol to not date Jongin. He really wants Chanyeol.

 

“If I’m going to have to be working with Jongin, seeing him almost five days a week, the least you can do is to take Chanyeol out to dinner.”

 

“Okay.” Kyungsoo finally cracks a smile at the resolve on Baekhyun’s face. “But only if you do the same with Jongin.”

 

“Baek…”

 

“No I’m serious! I mean if he’s working at my café he might not be working at the stripper club anymore! Maybe he’s changed Soo.”

 

“I’ll think about it.” Baekhyun looks as though he’s about to refute, but Kyungsoo beats him to it. “I said I promise to think about it.” Baekhyun shuts up, knowing he’ll only end up in another headlock.

 

They spend the rest of the night watching their chosen drama and crying out their sorrows over the pitiful characters on T.V.

 

 

 

 

When Baekhyun wakes up he’s still huddled next to Kyungsoo in their pallet, head resting on the younger’s shoulder. He gently maneuvers out of the blankets and lays Kyungsoo down on the couch properly. The serene look Kyungsoo has when sleeping gets him to smile, it contrasted deeply from the tense face he wore yesterday.

 

Baekhyun tiptoes to the alarm he set and quickly shuts it off so it wouldn’t bother Kyungsoo later. He awoke before the time he was supposed to even be up. With the extra time he decides to do the dishes for Kyungsoo before slipping back to his own apartment.

 

He gets ready for work in the quietest way he possibly can in hopes that he won’t bother Sehun. The boy closed last night and Baekhyun’s sure he’d like to actually have the benefit of sleeping in. Once Baekhyun’s dressed in his uniform, hair styled perfectly, with wallet and keys tucked neatly into his pocket he slides his shoes on and leaves to open his prized coffee shop.

 

 

The day bores on. Baekhyun’s almost convinced that Chanyeol isn’t coming in today by the time it reaches ten AM considering he always comes right when the store opens around six. He tries to occupy himself by talking with Minseok about new drinks ideas.

 

“Fall’s coming soon and we’ll need to start our autumn flavors. I was thinking we could do the same as last year, but add a drink and see how it fares.”

 

Minseok nods in agreement. “It’s good to keep things fresh.” Minseok adds.

 

“Right, I don’t want to be the same every year. That’s boring and predictable.”

 

“Sometimes that’s what sells.”

 

Baekhyun shrugs. “That’s why we’re keeping last year’s drinks as well. I want you to come up with the new flavor.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Minseok leans against the counter. It’s only moments before their lunch rush and  this is possibly the only time the two can talk in peace until another three or four hours in which they’ll both be getting off around that time.

 

“Yeah, I have confidence you’ll do great.” Baekhyun gives Minseok a reassuring smile.

 

“Thanks, that means a lot.”

 

“You can experiment before and after work, also if we have any dead zones and someone else is upfront to take care of the few customers that do come by.”

 

Right as Baekhyun finishes his sentence the entrance bell chimes and both men look up to face their next customer. Baekhyun bites his lips nervously and Minseok takes notice.

 

“Do you want me to take his order?”

 

“No of course not, I have something to ask him anyways. Go ahead and start cleaning and stocking before our lunch rush.” Minseok nods and does as told while Baekhyun turns to face Chanyeol.

 

“Hi welcome to Double Shot, what can I get for you today?” Baekhyun can’t help but grin at his first proper greeting to the younger since he started coming here.

 

Chanyeol gives a small smile in return and a thumb up. “Same as always, Americano, but just a single shot this time. I’m off work.” Baekhyun takes down his order on the cash register and goes ahead to give the giant half off. “Why the sudden price change?”

 

“You come all the time. As a regular, we give our customers certain discounts.” Baekhyun hands him a card that stays stocked in the cash drawer. “You’ll get half off on your fifth drink and a free one on your tenth. This just repeats every ten transactions.”

 

Chanyeol nods and slips the card into his pocket.

 

“Today though, it’s just because I like you.”

 

Chanyeol looks startled at the confession. Baekhyun doesn’t even expect a reply as he starts on Chanyeol’s drink. He knows the other isn’t going to just fall into the palm of his hand like he’d so wish. But he needs to start the first part of his vow and that’s to confess. He knows the idiot giant in front of him thinks he meant he likes him as a friend, but Baekhyun is adamant about getting the younger to understand just the extent of his feelings for him.

 

Chanyeol finally breaks the silence by asking a question. “Is Jongin here?”

 

Ouch.

 

“Nope. It’s just me, Minseok and Yixing for now.”

 

“Damn, not even Sehun. I was kind of hoping to patch things up with him. We sort of had a falling out.”

 

“Oh, yeah. Sehun came home angry the night I saw you at the convenience store.”

 

“You guys live together?” Chanyeol looks a mix of frustration and surprise.

 

Baekhyun presses his lips together, worried he might trigger another misconception the moment he opens his mouth. Realizing that Chanyeol won’t budge until he gets an answer Baekhyun decides to play it safe and start with why he’s living with Sehun.

 

“Sehun’s parents kicked him out and he had nowhere else to go. He was already working at my store during that time so I said he could stay with me.”

 

“I know Jongin said you took him in, but I didn’t think he meant it literally.” The skeptical look Chanyeol has on gets Baekhyun anxious. “Are you two dating?”

 

“What?” Baekhyun stares at Chanyeol stupefied. “No absolutely not!”

 

Chanyeol grimaces. “Right, because you’re straight?”

 

The words shot straight through Baekhyun’s already battered heart. They were the same words from the day at the airport, the entire misunderstanding that lead them exactly where they stand. Wanting to cease that idea from going any further Baekhyun holds up his hand with pleading eyes for Chanyeol not to say anymore and just hear him out for once.

 

“I’m not straight Chanyeol.”

 

“Could have told you that,” Chanyeol says, trying to sound teasing, but Baekhyun can see the hurt in his eyes.

 

“I’ve known since about a year before you left Korea.” Baekhyun waits for the new information to sink in and he can tell when it does because Chanyeol’s left gaping. “I actually have a lot more to tell you Yeol and I was wondering if you’d go out to dinner with me?”

 

“Baekhyun, didn’t I tell you I like somebody?”

 

Another blow to Baekhyun’s heart, but he brushes it off to the best of his abilities. Pursue, he needs to pursue. “Are you dating them?”

 

“Well no, not yet…”

 

“Then surely you can at least go to a friendly dinner with me. It doesn’t have to be a date, but I’ve really missed you Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol purses his lips in thought. He kind of wants to say no, but he kind of wants to say yes. Ever since he ran into Baekhyun coincidentally at his surprisingly second job he hasn’t been able to get the elder out of his head. He keeps wondering why Baekhyun needs the extra cash. Sure he’s not intending to be close with Baekhyun again, but he can’t help but worry about his childhood friend. He knows if he were ever to get into trouble he could call Baekhyun even with this rift between them and Baekhyun would still come immediately. He feels he should do the same.

 

“Fine, but you better tell me everything.” Chanyeol’s a little worried about what he’s going to find out exactly. What if he’s better off not knowing?

 

“I’ll tell you everything.” Baekhyun says solemnly. The tone of his voice sends a shiver down Chanyeol’s spine. He’s suddenly regretting his decision. Before Chanyeol can take it all back Baekhyun’s handing him his drink with his normal heart stopping smile. “When can we do it?”

 

“If you’re free tonight, that’d be best.” Chanyeol replies, not even realizing.

 

“That works out great! I get off at six.”

 

“O-okay… I’ll pick you up here?” Chanyeol can’t believe how formal it all sounds, like they’re actually going on a date.

 

“No, no. I’ll pick you up with my car at seven okay? I need to get ready too you know.”

 

Chanyeol nods robotically, not able to comprehend that he’s doing on a date with Baekhyun, or rather a friendly dinner. It’s a date, his voice echoes in his mind. Chanyeol’s about to have a full on argument with his consciousness about how it’s definitely not a date and he only wants answers because his once best friend is a seriously confusing person and he already likes someone and he’s definitely not excited because he did not dream about this for like ten years, no that’s just ridiculous.

 

“Ahem…” Baekhyun clears his throat. “I know I’m handsome and all but do you really have to ogle so obviously?” Chanyeol wants to smack that grin off Baekhyun’s face, but he can’t because the little raven is right. He was definitely appreciating Baekhyun’s perfectly styled hair, y smoky eyeliner his deep brown eyes and . He needs to get the out of here.

 

“Uh… I was just deep in thought…” ‘Nice save, .’

 

“Mhm,” But the -eating grin on Baekhyun’s face definitely says he’s not taking the bait. “We’ll talk more at dinner, customers are coming.” And right as Baekhyun says that a large group of college girls walk in ready to get their morning java. “Oh yeah, what’s your apartment number?”

 

“707” Chanyeol mutters before waving awkwardly and hurrying out of the place like it’s on fire. He just made a total fool of himself in front of the person he was not supposed to care about and yet did. Baekhyun wasn’t supposed to have this effect on him and it drove him nuts every time he saw the ebony haired boy.

 

Chanyeol cursed himself the entire way home.

 

 

 

 

y as hell eyeliner; Check

 

Irresistible smelling cologne; Check

 

 Enticing outfit; Check

 

Baekhyun is dressed in a deep purple collared shirt, nicely contrasting his onyx hair, and black slacks that happen to outline his toned . He appreciates his appearance in the mirror for a moment longer before finally muttering a fighting, grabbing his car keys and taking the route to the apartment’s parking garage.

 

The entire ride was nerve wracking for Baekhyun. His bottom lip sadly taking most of the beating as he could stop chewing on it. Every red light his fingers danced across the steering wheel in an anxious manner. He couldn’t even find himself singing to a single song on the radio which was more than abnormal. Usually the petite raven would belt out every song with gusto because he freaking loved singing in his car, but not tonight. Not when his mind is full of how Chanyeol’s going to react after finding out the truth and that Baekhyun’s not to subtly madly in love with him. Now he’s starting to sweat. Baekhyun quickly turns on the A.C. to full blast while parking his car in front of Chanyeol’s complex. He can only hope the dampness of his skin dries by the time he reaches Chanyeol’s door.

 

He stands there for a minute, staring at the door like it could burn him with just one touch. As though knocking on the wood could end his life. It just may as well could. But Baekhyun composes himself regardless and raps his knuckles against the mahogany.

 

The door opens to reveal Chanyeol donning a black collared shirt and gray skinny jeans. Baekhyun holds in the urge to laugh at how much they’ve changed. Back in college when one of them offered to go out to dinner they’d be sporting oversized hoodies and ripped jeans and walk to some food stall, Chanyeol making corny jokes and Baekhyun teasing the other. He kind of thinks he’d rather do that tonight instead. Still, it seems Chanyeol had the same idea as Baekhyun and that this was going to be somewhat of a formal occasion.

 

Baekhyun gives Chanyeol a smile and steps away from the door so the giant has room to walk out. “You look good.” He compliments, honestly admiring everything about Chanyeol.

 

“Thanks… You don’t look too bad yourself.” Chanyeol gives a smile in return, but it looks guarded and Baekhyun doesn’t like that.

 

“Well let’s go, I made reservations!”

 

Baekhyun’s only slightly better in the car than before. He’s still not singing, his bottom lip is still being abused, but he’s no longer fiddling with his fingers at red lights. Instead he decides to focus on Chanyeol in those moments. Asking insipid questions about how New York was, if he had a hard time when he came back, what he does in his spare time. All end with short answers of fine, not really, hang out with Jongin or sleep.

 

This is going lovely.

 

When they reach their destination Baekhyun opens the door for Chanyeol, causing the younger to blush, and hands his keys to the valet.

 

“ Baekhyun, you can afford this?”

 

“Only every now and then. This is important to me.” Baekhyun pauses before adding, “If it’s about you, it’s important.

 

Chanyeol nearly gets whiplash from turning to look at Baekhyun. He could never forget those words. Those were the same words that sent his heart fluttering like a school girls while he thrashed around on his bed so much he actually fell off.

 

Baekhyun continues, hardly elaborating. “It’s funny how back then I didn’t realize the full extent of my feelings.” But there was no mirth in his voice.

 

Oh how Chanyeol wants to go home. He already knows everything he’s believed for three years is about to come crumbling down. Baekhyun’s already started the tremors.

 

When they finally enter the large, elegant building Baekhyun gives his name to the lady at the podium. She smiles at him and upon looking up is almost star struck with his beauty. It takes her a moment to recollect herself and actually look at what table he was reserved for. When she finds it she clumsily picks up two menus and leads the way for them. Baekhyun chuckles at the deep red hue painting her cheeks as he tries her best not to look back at the two men.

 

“She’s cute.” Baekhyun whispers to Chanyeol while they walk upstairs. Baekhyun enjoys the momentary height he has on Chanyeol by going a few steps ahead and turning to face taller. He puts his hand above his head like you would when measuring how much you grew and lets it travel above Chanyeol. “Aha!”

 

Chanyeol finally lets a genuine smile creep onto his face and rolls his eyes. “Enjoy it while you can.”

 

Baekhyun pouts. “Oh I will.” He turns back around to continue following the hostess.

 

They’re lead through glass doors which open up to a large balcony. Candlelight flickers everywhere, each table having a small one for centerpiece. They continue on to the edge, the hostess ushering them into a table for two. Baekhyun takes this chance to pull out Chanyeol’s seat, once again causing the younger to blush. As soon as he’s sitting Baekhyun goes to his own chair.

 

The girl’s expression seems to deflate at the action. “Your waiter will be here soon,” she says quietly and goes to return to her job.

 

“What’s with the chivalry?” Chanyeol finally asks.

 

Baekhyun shrugs. “I wanted to.”

 

“It’s not a date. You know that right?”

 

“It could be if you wanted it to be.” Baekhyun grins.

 

“Baek…”

 

Baekhyun waves his serious tone off, but his eyes are alight with excitement. “You called me Baek!” When Chanyeol gives him a confused look he continues. “You’ve called me by my full name the entire time you’ve been back.”

 

“Oh…” Chanyeol sighs, upset he slipped. He had consciously been trying to keep himself from calling Baekhyun’s nickname. There was no need to, they weren’t close. They weren’t friends. But he’s also surprised because he didn’t think Baekhyun would notice something so trivial.

 

“Anyways, we should probably decide what we want and then we can start talking.”

 

Chanyeol agrees and they look through the menus. The waiter comes shortly after to take down their order. When asked what they’d like to drink Baekhyun ordered a bottle of wine for the two of them.

 

“I might need to loosen up so I don’t back out of spilling all my secrets.” Baekhyun says sheepishly once the waiter was gone.

 

“Okay, let’s start easy then.” Chanyeol decides to take pity on Baekhyun because the other looks so vulnerable and open while he himself is so guarded. It almost makes him feel bad. “Are you straight?” It’s finally Baekhyun’s turn to blush vibrantly. Chanyeol can’t help but to think Baekhyun looks cute with red tinting his cheeks, the candlelight highlighting Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

“No. I’m bi.” Baekhyun bites on his lip and rolls it between his teeth.

 

Chanyeol looks shocked, expecting a straight yes or no answer. He’s not sure why he never thought of biual as an option.

 

Before Chanyeol can ask another question a bottle of wine is set on their table along with two glasses. The waiter gracefully fills the translucent glass, turning it into an opaque maroon. “Your orders will be out shortly.” And he’s gone almost as soon as he came.

 

Baekhyun occupies himself by putting the glass to his lips and sipping, waiting for Chanyeol’s next question.

 

Chanyeol fingers the thin stem of his drink and thinks of exactly what he wants to know first. He knows he said he’d go easy, but he’s not sure there are any easy questions to begin with. “When did you find out?”

 

Baekhyun almost downs his drink right there, but instead places it back on the table. “Well… That’s a little complicated. It was a gradual process.” Baekhyun looks down, unable to maintain eye contact. “Surely you noticed we didn’t have a normal guy friendship, especially further down the road.” He glances up in time to see Chanyeol nodding, lips pressed into a thin line. “Well I’m not blind and I noticed too Yeol.”

 

“Then why?” Chanyeol’s voice cracked and Baekhyun winces at how hurt he sounded.

 

“You misunderstood Yeol. I wasn’t rejecting you at the airport.” Before Chanyeol can retort, get up and leave, anything, Baekhyun grabs his hand from across the table. He looks directly into the warm brown eyes. He could even see the misting of tears and he hated knowing he caused this. “I just didn’t want you to give up your opportunity in New York. I panicked when you suddenly said you wouldn’t go.”

 

Chanyeol squeezed his eyes shut and used his free hand to cover them. “I can’t ing believe this…” Baekhyun squeezes his hand in an attempt to comfort the younger, but Chanyeol just snatches his hand away instead.

 

“Are you angry?”

 

“I don’t know Baek!” Chanyeol uncovers his face exasperated and Baekhyun wants so badly to just hug him. “Everything I believe since I’ve been to New York was wrong. The love of my life loved me back and yet I still let you slip through my fingers!” Baekhyun flushes at the words, but stays quiet and let’s Chanyeol rant. “And now I’m confused because I don’t know if I still want you…” Baekhyun clutches the edge of the table. Now he too feels like crying.

 

The waiter is now approaching their table with an uncomfortable look and their food. He can clearly sense the tense atmosphere, but continues to do his job anyways. He places the food in front of them and bows politely. “I’ll be back in case you need anything.” Baekhyun doesn’t think he’s seen a waiter so fast because the guy is gone in the blink of an eye.

 

“Yeol it’s not anything you have to decide now.” Baekhyun says softly. The younger looks up at Baekhyun’s voice, slight relief taking over his features. “I love you and I’m not going to stop anytime soon. So technically you have plenty of time to figure out your feelings. I’ll wait.”

 

“I didn’t think I’d ever hear those words from you.”

 

“It’s too bad I could be a tad too late.” Despite the melancholy words Baekhyun’s sporting a smile. “I’ve been waiting for you for three years; I think I can handle a little longer.”

 

“Oh yeah, how did you decide on starting a coffee shop?” Chanyeol’s finally taken to eating his meal now that he’s calmed down.

 

“Well… That’s kind of embarrassing. Are you sure you want to know?”

 

“It has to do with me doesn’t it?”

 

“Bingo!”

 

Chanyeol laughs. It’s nice to be on the other end of the stick for once. Having Baekhyun pine after him and talk about his undying love towards Chanyeol is something he’s always wanted. Of course he expected it in different circumstances, but he can just bask in it for now. He’ll figure out his feelings another day. “Tell me.”

 

Baekhyun shrugs and takes a bite of his food. “Okay so when you left I felt incredibly lonely and empty. Nothing made me feel better, singing only made it mildly okay. So one day when it was hitting harder than usual that you were gone I went to a coffee store because the only times I’d ever been in one was with you. I ordered an Americano, can you believe that? And while I was sitting there in a booth I felt comforted.” Baekhyun quickly wipes at his eyes, catching any tears that were gathering. “Cafés became the only place I felt okay in anymore and so I started a business. Plus I found I don’t hate coffee anymore after how much I’ve drank it with you.”

 

Chanyeol’s heart actually goes out to Baekhyun. He never figured that Baekhyun was going through all that during his absence. Though he really should have figured it with how Baekhyun clung to him in the weeks before his departure. Wow, I’m stupid.

 

They finish up their meals with easy talk, just small things that won’t cause waterworks or frustrated hair pulling. Baekhyun pays, forcefully pushing Chanyeol’s hand out of the way with a laugh when he insisted on handing his card to the hostess. The hostess still didn’t look happy with their interactions.

 

Baekhyun, continuing his chivalry act, opens both the restaurant door and car door for Chanyeol before getting in himself.

 

“Tonight’s not over.” Baekhyun says as soon as he starts the engine.

 

“But we had dinner, I didn’t say we’d do anything more.” Chanyeol points out.

 

“Well I invited you so I say when this date’s over.” Baekhyun covers Chanyeol’s mouth gently with one hand. “Sorry, but it’s totally a date.” Baekhyun grin’s mischievously and Chanyeol can’t be mad even if he wanted to. “Besides this is like an extension to dinner.”

 

Baekhyun sings to every song that plays on the radio this time. He occasionally gets Chanyeol to join in, especially during the rapping bits. Chanyeol begins to fear for his life when Baekhyun starts to dance along to the songs too, sometimes taking his hands off the steering wheel for a second or two. He eventually pulls into a public parking area and hops out. Before he could get to Chanyeol’s door the other is already out of the car. “Hey! That’s my job you know.”

 

Chanyeol laughs heartily. “Stop acting like you’re the guy in this relationship.” When he sees Baekhyun’s pout he taps his nose. “You’re only proving my point.” Baekhyun tries to bite Chanyeol’s finger when it moves away, but is unsuccessful. “You’re more like a puppy.”

 

“Oh shut up.” Baekhyun huffs and leads Chanyeol to a food stall. He orders dukbokki and Soju before going over to a table.

 

“This is like back in college.”

 

“Exactly!” Baekhyun digs into the food, at the taste. “It’s been so long!”

 

“We’re not exactly dressed properly for this…”

 

“Who cares? We’re y men eating street food.” Baekhyun picks another piece up and holds it out to Chanyeol with his chopsticks. “Eat.” Chanyeol does as told and his reaction is very similar to Baekhyun’s. “See?”

 

Chanyeol says nothing, but continues to eat at their plate. When he notices Baekhyun drinking he takes ahold of the hand holding the glass. “Should you be drinking when you’ll be driving later?” Baekhyun smiles at the concern showing on Chanyeol’s face.

 

“We’ll walk home; your place is nearby here anyways. I can just pick my car up in the early morning.”

 

“I don’t want you walking home alone around that time.”

 

Baekhyun smiles and pats Chanyeol’s cheek. “I’ll be fine; I do it a lot already.”

 

“Baek that’s dangerous!”

 

Baekhyun downs a shot. “Whoops! Too late now…”

 

“You’re insane.”

 

The raven haired boy giggles. “Nah. I’m just a little tipsy after the wine and soju.”

 

 Chanyeol moves the soju bottle toward him and sets the glass of water in front of Baekhyun. “Then you can drink that instead.”

 

“You’re no fun Yeollie!”

 

“Just eat your food.” Baekhyun pouts and starts nibbling. He glances shyly up to Chanyeol numerous times throughout his eat and Chanyeol finally gets the nerve to ask. “What?”

 

“Are you mad?” Baekhyun looks frightened and Chanyeol wants to dispel his fears.

 

Chanyeol rises from his seat and leans over the table. He takes a good look at Baekhyun. His wide eyes, slightly parted pink lips, button nose, and lean chest. This is the same person he fell in love with so long ago. He looks the exact same and he is oh so beautiful to Chanyeol. He believes it’s a sin for Baekhyun to be so good looking. He allows his palm to rest on Baekhyun’s cheek. “No,” he breathes and wills himself to stop here. He needs to stop before he goes too far. His body never forgot its attraction to Baekhyun and his emotions are still a hectic mess from the previous confession. He isn’t left with a reason to hate Baekhyun, but he doesn’t know if he still loves him like before.

 

Chanyeol finally pulls himself away from Baekhyun, situating himself back in his seat. He begins picking at the food again while completely ignoring the bewildered look on Baekhyun’s face.

 

Once they’ve finished Baekhyun’s walking with Chanyeol back to the younger’s apartment. It’s a little after midnight and Chanyeol’s fighting with himself about what to do with Baekhyun. He really doesn’t want him to walk home alone and he doesn’t exactly feel comfortable with inviting him into his apartment either. Baekhyun’s not sober, just slightly tipsy, but it’s enough to get Chanyeol more worked up about the smaller walking home.

 

Once they’ve reached Chanyeol’s door Baekhyun’s already in the middle of saying his goodbyes.

 

“Stay here.” Chanyeol cuts in.

 

“W-What?”

 

Well there’s no going back now. “I don’t want you walking home. It’s late and you’re tipsy and I don’t care if you know hapkido, because people will still try and mug you because you’re small.”

 

“Hey now! Don’t be bringing my height into this.”

 

“I’m just saying Baek…”

 

“Okay.”

 

“I have to get up at like six AM though, so you can make yourself at home when I’m gone.”

 

“Oh thank god I don’t open tomorrow…”

 

Chanyeol’s finally entering his passcode and allows Baekhyun to enter. “It’s messy.” Baekhyun blurts out, brain to mouth filter completely broken from weariness and alcohol. Chanyeol quirks an amused eyebrow and Baekhyun blushes, “Sorry…”

 

“No, you’re right. I haven’t really gotten to clean it yet. It’s usually just me here anyways. Jongin comes over occasionally to watch movies, but that’s about it.”

 

Baekhyun nods absentmindedly. He forgot Chanyeol still has a thing for Jongin.

 

Chanyeol retrieves a comforter and pillow from his hall closet and drapes them over the couch for Baekhyun. “It’s actually pretty comfortable, so I don’t think you’ll wake up with any back pains.”

 

“Thanks Yeol.”

 

“No problem.”

 

They stand there awkwardly until Baekhyun finally points to his shirt and pants.

 

“Oh right!” Chanyeol scrambles back into his room and comes out with a large hoodie and sweatpants. “They’ll be big of course,” he says and he hands the clothing over.

 

“No big deal.”

 

Baekhyun’s already starting to his shirt and Chanyeol catches a glimpse of milky white collarbones.

 

“Baek! I’m still here!”

 

“So? You’ve seen my chest plenty of times Yeol.”

 

Chanyeol wants to smack himself because Baekhyun’s right and he really is overreacting. He’s seen Baekhyun’s chest every summer when they’d go to the beach or whenever they’d stay over at each other’s place because Baekhyun always would just change right in front of Chanyeol without a care. So it’s odd for Chanyeol to be saying something now.

 

When Chanyeol snaps out of his thoughts Baekhyun’s already fully changed and Chanyeol thinks this is worse because Baekhyun is wearing his clothes and looks adorable.

 

“Okay, night Baek!”

 

Baekhyun hears a door slam and realizes Chanyeol had already retreated back into his room. He laughs at the giant’s reaction, knowing exactly why Chanyeol was acting the way he was.

 

Baekhyun cuddles into the couch and blanket, finding it really was pretty comfy. He drifts off to sleep thinking of how everything smells like Chanyeol and he loves it.

 

 

Authors Note

Yay it's finally up and really long...

2nd half isn't beta'ed I'm sorry. Corrections might be made later tonight.

My computer is lagging horribly right now.