Americano

Double Shot

 

Baekhyun’s eyes narrow as he notices the prominent red circle on his calendar. It’s July and a good month and a half past May, yet still the calendar remains a picture of four furry puppies trying to climb out of a basket with the word ‘May’ in bold ink, stretched across the top left corner. It’s become a ritual. Baekhyun comes in to open the store at five-thirty AM and once everything is settled and his first barista comes in for the day he retreats into his back office until he’s necessary, only to stare at the bright red contrasting the pasty white.

 

Chanyeol was supposed to come back on May 15th.

 

Baekhyun has not yet seen or heard of him.

 

Too say the least, Baekhyun wasn’t surprised. Their departure from one another isn’t exactly what one would describe as pleasant. Well… Part of it wasn’t too bad, until Baekhyun messed it all up. He clearly remembers the numb feeling that took over his body when Chanyeol walked away from him, he didn’t feel the pain as he fell to his knees or the cold that should have reminded him the floor of an airport was no place to sink into his own personal demise. In fact, Baekhyun is sure a part of him to this day is still numb.

 

Baekhyun toes the carpet of his clean office. It’s small, but tidy. He enjoys the comfort the room brings, peace and closure. Baekhyun has worked his off since he started the small coffee shop three years ago. It’s become a local’s favorite and known not only for its amazing drinks, but homely customer service as well. Everyone that steps into the shop is family and anyone who tries to disrupt the tranquility is not even bothered with, politely being asked to walk out and never come back.

 

A knock as his door brings Baekhyun out of his thoughts. “Still sleepy hyung?”

 

Baekhyun glances at his intruder and a soft smile graces his lips. “You should be upfront, what if there’re customers?”

 

The taller boy shrugs, “we have a bell for that.”

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes in staged aggravation before standing and walking over to his employee. Baekhyun’s nimble fingers make quick work of the three loose buttons of the white button-up shirt. “What did I tell you about proper appearance?” Baekhyun grumbles out, eyes looking the other up and down, investigating for further misplacements.

 

“But hyung it’s so stuffy like this!” The other whines.

 

“Not my problem Sehun.”

 

“Well technically it is because as your employee my comfort should be top priority and-Mph!” Sehuns rant is cut off short by Baekhyun’s elegant hand not so elegantly clamping over the younger’s mouth.

 

“Why do I put up with you?” Baekhyun growls.

 

Sehun clasps Baekhyun’s wrist, detaching it from his mouth before answering with a smug grin, “Because you love me and you’ve always wanted a little brother as amazing as me.”

 

Baekhyun snorts, leading the two of them to the kitchen where they greet Kyungsoo, the chef and co-owner. “I beg to differ.” Baekhyun answers Sehun belatedly.

 

Baekhyun has to admit it’s really strange how he came to be such good friends with Chanyeol’s old friends over his absence. He guesses it has to do with the fact they all went to college together after high school and despite the awkward way they first met, he really clicked with all of them once he got to know them. Sehun’s still in college, his last year, so Baekhyun kindly offered him a job at his café to help pay off the ugly college fees back when he first opened and he’s still here to this day. At first Kyungsoo just needed a place to practice his culinary skills and Baekhyun suggested his café’s kitchen, but soon enough the two started a partnership: Baekhyun’s enchanting coffee and Kyungsoo’s delightful desserts, it was a match made in heaven. Aside from Chanyeol he would have to say that Kyungsoo was his best friend. Kyungsoo was there for him when Chanyeol left, helping Baekhyun to pick himself back up again.

 

The chime of the front door caught Baekhyun’s attention and he scampered off to the front counter, dragging Sehun with him by the collar. It was still quite early, the store having just opened. They don’t normally get their first rush until seven, when all the suit and ties are heading for work.

 

Baekhyun grabs his black apron off the coat rack that stands by the ‘Employee’s only’ door and quickly settles it around his neck, tying the knot while he walks up to the cash register. When Baekhyun finally raises his head to greet the customer, the breath is knocked out of him.

 

The man takes no heed of Baekhyun’s gaping mouth, possibly used to it from how attractive he is. He offers Baekhyun a smile and pulls out his wallet. “I’d like a Grande Americano please.” His deep voice both soothes Baekhyun and churns his insides into mush because it’s been so long since he’s heard that smooth baritone. The man gives Baekhyun a questioning look and waves his hand before stooping down to be eye level with the cashier. “Is there something on my face?”

 

Baekhyun squeaks at the golden brown eyes staring back at him and shakes his head rampantly. “S-sorry, I was lost in my thoughts.” Baekhyun takes his money and hands him the change, which the taller generously drops into the tip jar. “Thanks.” Baekhyun mumbles before setting on fixing the drink.

 

There’s no one in the front besides him and his customer, Sehun had the audacity to go back to the kitchen to mess with Kyungsoo and probably beg for food, and its nerve wracking because what does he say? Baekhyun wants nothing more than to ask him how he’s been, what he’s up to, how his trip was, if he’s in love with anybody. He’s known for being friendly with his customers, chatting up a storm, especially when it’s slow and he has plenty of time. But his throat feels dry because three years was not enough time to prepare him for Chanyeol’s return. Yet three years was far too long to be away from his giant best friend.

 

Chanyeol decides to spare Baekhyun and break the tension. “Everyone at work recommends this place; they say it’s the best in the city, if not the region.” Baekhyun grins widely at Chanyeol, pride swelling in his chest at the praise.

 

“I worked very hard turning this place into what it is now. I wanted everyone to have the feeling of coming home when they entered.” Baekhyun was quick to learn coffee shops were the only place he could feel calm and at peace when Chanyeol left for America and afterwards he wanted others to have that temporary state of serenity too, a short moment to break away from the hassle of life and just enjoy a nice warm, or cold, beverage. Baekhyun made sure they sold more than just coffee.

 

“It’s quite close to my work place too, I’m sure I’ll become a regular in no time.” Baekhyun tried not to show too much of what he was feeling at those words and settled with a small smile.

 

“I’m glad it’s peaked your interest.” He slips the Americano into a biodegradable sleeve and hands the drink to its owner.

 

Chanyeol takes the drink, fingers lightly brushing Baekhyun’s, and grins. “It was nice seeing you Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widen and he chokes on his spit as he watches Chanyeol turn and retreat out the door. He knew the entire time. Baekhyun’s mind swirls. With the way chanyeol was acting he was sure that Chanyeol hadn’t recognized him, but clearly he couldn’t have been more wrong. Then again he really hasn’t changed much in the past three years so it’d be even more questionable if Chanyeol didn’t recognize him after knowing him for fourteen years excluding the three years spent apart.

 

Sehun came out of the Employee’s only door and pat Baekhyun on the back. “So you met him?”

 

“What? How did you-“

 

“Your face says it all.” Baekhyun only nods because what else is he supposed to say? His friend already knows the situation anyways. He’s still very much in love with Chanyeol. “Hyung, what’ll you do if he’s changed? He might look the same, but there’s no way he’s going to be just like three years ago.”

 

“Well I’m not either.” Baekhyun sighs. “I really don’t think anything Chanyeol does can shake me, unless he’s dating.”

 

Baekhyun feels his friend rub soothing circles on his back and relaxes into the touch. “You can always run to me if he sends you packing.” Sehun whispers suggestively in his ear, sending shivers down his spine.

 

“Shut up. Go stuff your face with Luhan, not me.”

 

“We both know that’s not going anywhere anytime soon. He’s way worse than you hyung.” Baekhyun smiles sadly when the younger rests his chin on Baekhyun’s shoulder in defeat.

 

“At least he didn’t send you running to the other side of the world.” Baekhyun jokes bitterly.

 

Baekhyun revels in the feel as Sehun shakes his head, chin still on his shoulder and hair tickling his neck. It was nice to have someone so close. Baekhyun had done well with keeping away from dating and ual affairs for the most part after Chanyeol left, but he’s only human and he slips occasionally. “Nah you didn’t. He had a great opportunity over there and he was about to blow it. You just handled it in the worse possible way.” Baekhyun groaned and slouched, his entire upper half, over the black granite countertop. Sehun chuckles before adding “it’ll be okay hyung, everything will work out.” Baekhyun does a small fist pump lacking much enthusiasm, but hey, at least he tried.

 

Before they could get another word in their normal rush starts flowing through the door. Sehun and Baekhyun grin at one another, Hi-5, and then get to work as the best duo in the entire store. Three years of working side by side does good things to their teamwork.

 

Baekhyun sighs in relief when he sees Minseok walk through the door. Today was busier than normal with the start of school and they could really use another pair of hands right about now. Once Minseok is set up Baekhyun steps back into the kitchen to see how Kyungsoo is holding up. He stifles a chuckle at the distraught expression on his friends face. “Baekhyun we really need to hire a kitchen assistant!” Baekhyun nods in agreement with his friend, lifting his hand and wiping off some excess flour which made its way onto Kyungsoo’s cheek. “We’ve become so popular Baekhyun! Should we think of expanding?”

 

“After we hire that Kitchen assistant, I’ll need someone to man kitchen here when you leave.” Kyungsoo looked shocked at the idea of leaving, but quickly realized he’d be the owner of the other store when they decide to expand. “I’ll let the business services program know we’re looking for someone.” Kyungsoo nods, a smile gracing his lips instead of the previous scowl.

 

“Now lend me a hand will you? We’re already running out of what I prepared for this morning.”

 

“Got it.”

 

Their crew worked efficiently, all already used to the flow of their job. Baekhyun knows he needs to hire more workers, but he likes the close-knit staff he has. Everyone’s comfortable with everyone, but clearly, as Kyungsoo mentioned, they’re much more popular now. Once the rush dies down and only a few customers are left at the tables and chairs, Baekhyun flops ungracefully on top of the couch in the lounge section of the room.

 

The corner café is actually a very decent size. The cashier counter smack dab in the middle, table and chairs lining the left wall, a bar counter lining the front where the entrance is and on the right side is the lounge. It’s full of vintage furniture and a tiny stage in the very corner holding a piano, mic stand, and stool. Nothing else would fit on the miniscule stage.

 

Baekhyun soon feels extra weight crushing his back and let out a strangled “Off.” Said weight started bouncing on him and Baekhyun, through all his struggling and flailing, ends up falling off the couch. “Sehun, I’m going to kill you!” Baekhyun glares up at the younger who only winks before running away, probably to the locker room.

 

Minseok comes by and helps Baekhyun to his feet. “You’re a pretty lenient boss, letting him do that to you.”

 

Baekhyun grunts, “He’s lucky we go way back, if it was anyone else I’d have strangled them.” Baekhyun’s face betrays him though, showing he’s not nearly as mad as he tries to let on.

 

“You have a soft spot for him?”

 

“In a younger brother kind of way, he sort of grows on you like a leech.”

 

Minseok laughs and gives Baekhyun a pat on the back. “You’re a good guy. I’m glad I work for you.”

 

Close-knit indeed, but regardless Baekhyun needed more hands.

 

 

 

Author's Note

I wanted to make this longer, but things happened and now sleep is catching up with me. But I said I'd update, so I'm leaving you with this and the promise of updating tomorrow!

 

Enjoy ~