Part 3

The soul sweeper

A short scream made her close her eyes and quickly cover the window back.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Taeyang walked in carrying two big cups of coffee.

“Nothing… I think I haven’t slept enough…” she was quick in claiming her white mug then she cuddled to his chest.

“Are you shaking?” he worried.

“No I’m not… yes… I think I frightened myself…” she blushed.

“You’re not that type. What’s wrong?” he kissed her forehead.

“I think… I gotta call my mom… I think my conscience’s trying to speak to me” she smiled havind  a hard time to let him go. She easily pushed the drapes with one finger and peeked outside – the street was empty. She took a deep sigh and a big sip from her mug.

“It’s everything ok?” he joined her in scouting the streets.

“Oh, yes!” she blushed hard when two people crossing the street made her smile in clemency.

“Wow, such morning people they are” he laughed and waved at SeungRi and Daesung when they raised their eyes up to the window.

After a short while their steaming mugs were having a rest in their hands.

“Yes” SeungRi answered as he blew the steam away “they said they’ll be a little late, but they’ll come for sure”.

“No problem” Taeyang smiled brightly “it will be a while `till we’ll get there, change, goof around… plenty of time  for them to get there”.

“I don’t know…” Daesug said without lifting his eyes up from the black liquid “…but they seemed a little strange on the phone… I have a bad feeling…”

“About what?” she asked.

“Don’t know… I can’t explain it…”

“Maybe you’re just jealous `cos they spent the night together?”  SeungRi smirked, making everyone to hit him in joke until the doorbell rang.

“I’m on it!” Cris went to open it. “ ‘Morning you two!” she waved eagerly at them as she invited JiYong inside, followed by an extremely quiet SeungHyun. “We were just talking about you” she said again checking out their reactions.

“I hope you were saying good stuff about us…” SeungHyun tried a fade smile, while JiYong remained numb.

“Oppa, are you ok?” she asked slightly touching Ji’s shoulder.

His reaction made everyone startle when he hit her hand, jumping a step back and turning whiter than he already was.

“You want a cup of coffee?” she asked again lowering her voice almost near to a whisper. She got her positive answer and in a short while she entered the room with another two big steamy mugs. The guys couldn’t find out the reason why they were so wired; neither Ji nor SeungHyun told them the truth, but they made up a story to explain just a little of their mood.

Darkness had already swollen the entire city. A fade fog raised from the ground making it to look as if it boiled.

“Half past eight…” Cris said throwing an eye on the big wall-watch.  She had already forgotten the scary episode from this morning. She opened the balcony door without a noise and stepped outside. She smiled thinking how wonderful would’ve been if this weather stuck with them until tomorrow, the Halloween night, when they planned “the biggest party ever’’.  A cold blow made her squeeze her blazer better next to her body. She quietly listened to the wind piping until the cellphone’s vibration roughly brought her back to earth. She laughed out loud thinking how childish of her to get scared by a cellphone.

“Yeobuseyo?” she answered without haste.

“Baby…” she could hear Taeyang’s voice “… we’re gonna be a little late. I’m starving, but we’re not done yet and Ji won’t let us go home” he laughed while she could hear Ji scolding him.  

“It’s ok, you eat-it-all” she laughed. “I’ll cook something extra special for you tonight!” she left the balcony entering in the big room. After some other sweet-talk she left the phone on the edge of the bed, she shut the windows, pulled the drapes and all the lights in every room. She looked for favorite music on youtube and rolled the volume up to the max. She opened the fridge and started taking out all sort of frozen bags and vegetables.

   “22…” she  read out loud. She listened to the same songs three times already, the cooked dish steamed away in its flowered pot. She finally turned off the music scratching her head, looking for the cellphone. Suddenly she remembered where she left it and ran into the dormitory. It was so quiet without the boys. The drapes seemed to watch her. With one quick move she uncovered the windows. The fog was almost gone leaving the darkness to take over, more than usual; even the streetlights were experiencing some technical difficulties since they and off all at once. Cold shivers ran up her spine and she slowly shook her head. Pressing the two cellphone’s keys she unlocked it getting ready to push key number 1, when a silent hum froze her. she listened to it very carefully. It sounded like something a young kid would sing, but the voice singing it was old…  really old. She ran inside the house, pulled the drapes on but the song kept on hearing louder and louder. She turned to face the door to exit the room when she dropped the cellphone she held tight in her hands and a short terrified scream came out from .