Part 4

The soul sweeper

“JiYong-hyung, you coming with us?” Taeyang asked stuffing his hands deeper in the jacket’s pockets.

“Of course I am!” he hasted in giving an answer as if he feared someone might say something else.

“We’re all coming” SeungHyun said “I just hope Cris won’t mind”.

“No, she won’t! she actually said she’s waiting for us with some good treats!” Taeyang said smiling. “I tried to call her, but I think she’s out of battery again and she didn’t even noticed…” he tried to encourage himself even though an ugly feeling started feeding its way up to his heart.

JiYong suddenly stopped.

“What’s wrong?” SeungRi asked after he stumbled upon Ji. He wouldn’t answer so the guys looked around – there was nothing suspicious around.

“Hyung?” Daesung caught Ji’s arm.

“Can you hear it?...” Ji finally whispered.

“Hear what?” Daesung asked.

“Sssh!” SeungHyun also said.

They all strained, keeping as quiet as they could. It was indeed an awkward silence for this Seoul main street, but they wouldn’t freak out about this.

A soft song begun hearing making the boys to exchange looks. JiYong took a step back; Daesung and Taeyang took a step forward.    

“I’m not going that way!” Ji whispered and they all turned around. After only two steps they froze in place. A besom’s birches were sweeping the sidewalk. Ji couldn’t hold back a scream and a back jump that his friends found a little embarrassing. Daesung was already trying to find some excuses for his senior’s behavior when the little man stopped his actions. He smiled softly and after saluting with a short nod, he continued his sweeping. The boys answered with short bows and hurried to catch up with JiYong who already started walking in the opposite direction. After several steps Taeyang froze. The little man started singing a soft song that he recognized as being Cris` ringtone. He turned to face the little sweeping man and his eyes doubled their size. The little man had a large smile on his face, which was literally from one ear to the other, exposing some really sharp, yellow teeth. He sniffed twice with his long, pointed nose and suddenly his long fingers grabbed JiYong’s throat. They all yelled in fear and Ji’s hands clenched on the man’s arms.

SeungRi couldn’t stand around and just watch so he rushed to save his friend, but the man caught his throat too. He fought to reach him mostly in vain, because the little man’s arms were so long that he couldn’t even hit him with his legs.

SeungHyun and Daesung both jumped to hit the little man. When they almost reached his face, the man opened up his mouth so large that it covered his entire face, letting it show the enormous, spiky teeth and the boys both fell trying to fight back.

Taeyang looked around searching for a weapon… the only thing he could come up with was the man’s besom. He ploughed into it but as soon as he touched it, he threw it away, screaming in pain. The broom was so hot that it almost burnt his palms. SeungHyun’s attack roar made him to forget about his aching hands and stare at his friend as he tried to punch the little man. But it a couple of seconds he stretched out his hands to catch (or to stop) the flying SeungHyun that came stumbling upon him.

At first, JiYong couldn’t understand why in the name of God he couldn’t move at all that little man’s hand even though he was hitting it and scratching it as hard as he could.  A burning wave covered his feet up to his knees, depleting him slowly but surely.  He was about to give all up when something else caught his eye: SeungRi’s body already have done that and he lost the fight – he was now only hanging into the little man’s big hand making him to smile widely again.

“Maknae…” were Ji’s last words before losing his own battle.

SeungHyun wasn’t just ready to stop, so he emerged into another strong attack. He clenched his fists hard and yelled as he ran towards the sweeper. The man let SeungRi go and caught him instead. He stared into his eyes and SeungHyun could feel fear… he couldn’t stare back at that hideous face; he couldn’t breathe that burnt smell… his eyes suddenly enlarged when the little man opened up his mouth and everything turned black. All that there was, was an indefinite gulp and a strange feeling as he fell from a great distance.