This Isn't Home

Everything is Spinning

A/N: OH DEAR GOD I'M BACK. Words cannot express enough how deeply sorry I am nor can it explain all the that's been going on. But even though I should be alot more busy lately, I also get the feeling I'm going to get a lot more time to write. So if all goes well, there shouldn't be months between my updates anymore. Besides apologizing for my absence I also wanted to apologize for this chapter. The things that get brought up feel very.....sudden. And random. It's not though. The events were threaded faintly since the beginning. So please try to take the random feeling/surprise as Soohyun's surprise OTL I wanted to lead up to it and elaborate on it more, but I can't help but feel like the story's been dragging, so I felt now was a good time to shift gears. Not sure how well that worked out thought.

I ALSO APOLOGIZE BECAUSE IT'S BEEN AGES SINCE I'VE WRITTEN AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ANYMORE.

 


 

“I’m home~” Kiseop sang softly with fatigue as he tiptoed through the front-door, gently shutting it behind him as he peeked around, wondering if anyone was home.

 

“Kiseop!”

 

The addressed male jumped at the sudden outburst that broke the still silence of the apartment and turned to see Soohyun running over. “Is everything alright? What happened to Eli? How’s Kevin? Are you guys okay?” The questions flew out strung together as his hands planted on Kiseop’s shoulders, trying to remain steady and calm even though the panic and concern was still evident. “They’re both fine.” The black haired male smiled reassuringly. “I never got to hear what happened to Eli though. But I know that they’re both well.” Soohyun let out a sigh a relieved sigh, his hands slipping off of the other’s shoulders.

 

“What about you?”

“I’m good. Just tired and wanting a shower. I don’t see how Kevin does it.” Kiseop shook his head in disbelief, a yawn already crawling its way from his mouth.

"Well he has had practice at this point." They both sighed. "How long has it been now?"

"Too long, hyung. Too long..."

 

"Anyways," Soohyun spoke up again after a solemn silence had fallen between the two of them. "Go ahead and get cleaned up, alright? Does Kevin know you're here?"

"I left to pick up coffee for us but thought now would be a good chance to stop by. So I texted him. He hasn't replied but I'm sure he's fine." The elder nodded at his response, allowing the black haired man to trudge down the hall, nearing the bathroom when another boy poked his head out of one of the rooms.

"Kiseop-hyung?"

"Dongho!" The taller held his arms open and tightly embraced the other as he ran to him. "I feel like it's been so long, how've you been?" He asked eagerly.

Dongho just chuckled at him. "Dude, it's only been a few days. I get it though. You've been with Kevin." His voice trailed off as he spoke. "Over there a few minutes feels like hours..."

Kiseop ruffled the younger's hair to regain his attention, not wanting the boy to spiral down in sadness as well. "Why are you here anyways?" He asked with an arched brow, causing Dongho to mimic the expression.

"You don't know?"

"...Should I?"

"Man, you really are out of it." Dongho shook his head playfully, massaging the elder's shoulders as he turned him towards the bathroom and urged him inside. "Just do whatever you were doing. Maybe it'll come back to you." He laughed.

 

 

Day 27-

I'm sorry for leaving yesterday... I know me saying that can't fix anything, and it probably doesn't even matter because would you even know that I was gone? But I'm saying it anyways because the point is that I am sorry. I said my entire reason for being here is so that you won't have to be alone. I don't even know if your family's heard about your accident yet. And if they have I'm sure they're doing their best to head here as soon as they can. But until then, I said I would be here for you. So you have someone. Anyone. But yesterday I left... and then that happened... I'm sorry. They say everything's returned to normal though--whatever that means. But on the bright side of things they said you're stable. More so than you have been actually. They tried to explain to me how,  but I was hardly able to understand half of it.. I just hope what they're saying is true.

 

"Kevin?"

Kevin sat up slowly and turned towards the door. ..Hoon? He smiled weakly and waved at the visitor. Everything was starting to blur together. Nothing felt of importance anymore. All that concerned him was this unconscious man and though he was perfectly alright with that, a small part of himself tucked deep, deep down questioned himself. Aren't acts of kindness things to be valued and treasured and thanked for? ..But where do you draw the line? Where does an act of kindness stop being an act of kindness? Was he really here for Eli? Or was he here for himself? Kevin shook his head. That was silly. Of course he's here for Eli. So he wouldn't have to suffer alone.

"How are you?"

Kevin's attention snapped back to the other man in the room, his eyes wide with surprise. He had completely forgotten the other was standing there.

"Okay, I guess." He paused as if thinking of more to answer with, but what else was there to say? "Just kind of tired." He gave another weak smile and motioned for the other to take a seat in the chair next to him. He and Hoon weren't exactly close. In fact he had met him through AJ. Although thankfully Hoon had turned out to be a better friend than AJ. Still, they weren't the closest of people. Friends, yes. But still getting to know each other. It wouldn't have hurt or surprised Kevin if Hoon decided to never pay a visit. In fact, it surprised him that he was in fact here. "What about you?" He asked cautiiously, not quite sure how to add to the conversation.

"Good." Hoon answered brightly, returning the smile Kevin gave. "Actually I have something to ask of you."

Kevin took his time to meet the other man's eyes, the smile on his face slowly smoothing out into a taut line as he looked away from Eli. He was drained. He had been stringing himself out and he was finally starting to feel the effects of it. Emotions were little to no more. There was just hope, confusion, and want. Even the occasional anger or irritation felt like it had been rubbed out. He was numb. All he could do was hope. And after yesterday's events, he was finally starting to realize it.

"What is it?"

"Do you remember what today is?" Hoon carefully kept his tone cheerful and lighthearted even though it was easy to see Kevin's had become distant and indifferent, and there was little chance of it changing.

It'd be a miracle if Kevin could remember what the day or the date was. All he knew was an approximation of how many days had passed since the accident--since he had last been home--and the only reason for that was because he kept a daily log. But judging  by the question and assuming Hoon wasn't a thoughtless , then the actual status of the day wasn't at question. So Kevin shook his head 'no' and Hoon nodded in reply, thankfully understanding.

"It's one of those Fridays."

It took a few seconds more than it should have, but Kevin eventually caught on. Every other Friday, regardless of how many times they may or may not have hung out during the days in between, they would all get together and simply spend time together--Soohyun, Kevin, Kiseop, Dongho, AJ and Hoon. Bring food, cook food, play games, watch movies, stay the night. It didn't matter what. But somehow it had become routine and no one objected. They all had their own lives to live and doing this was both enjoyable and would remind them that through it all they were still a sort of family. Give them something to look forward to. A chance to be together without plans falling through.

Kevin opened his mouth to speak but Hoon quickly held his hands up as if surrendering. "I know. I've heard. You don't want to leave. You don't like leaving. Especially after.." Yesterday. Hoon shook his head knowing he didn't need to finish his sentence and gave the smaller male a soft smile. "But it was just a suggestion. It really hasn't been the same without you, you know.." He chuckled, remembering their failed attempts to continue the tradition despite the fact one of their family members was missing. "We even tried to move it out of  you guys' apartment until you joined us again because it felt odd to be there and not be able to find you anywhere.." He sighed, the forced elation leaving his voice. "But taking it to my place or AJ's place only felt wrong.."

There was a moment of silence. Possibly to simply remember all the times. Maybe to wait for some sort of reply from Kevin. But nothing filled the noiseless atmosphere. So Hoon continued on. "I just thought it might be good of you to join us. At least for one night and you can come back as soon as possible. As soon as you want to. It's all up to you. No one's forcing you." He smiled again. "Just letting you know that we miss you."

Kevin's eyes fell to the floor, his hands balling into fists.

'...need to get out...'

'...be around people...'

'...lively people...'

The memories of AJ's words from yesterday burned in his head.

 

* * *

"Hey, Soohyu-- Why are you here?" Kiseop's eyes narrowed on the man standing across the dining table--AJ.

His brow arched in a displeased, almost amused manner. "What do you mean why am I here? It's Friday." He continued setting plates down for their future use.

Kiseop's eyes widened for a moment in sudden realization of today's events and when his body relaxed again, he only gave a terse "Ah." in response. No wonder Dongho laughed whenever he asked him the same thing.

"So how's Kevin doing?"

Kiseop glared at the other man as he placed a small towel over his head in a lazy attempt to soak up the remaining water from his damp hair. "What's it to you?" The words came out venomously, an obvious contrast from his usual sweet personality.

"Now, now. No need to get hostile. I was just concerned."

"Tch, you? Concerned? That's a surprise."

"Now you sound just like him." AJ huffed. "Why is it such a  big deal that I'm worried about him?!"

"Because if you were really worried about him then you'd act a hell of a lot different! What he wants is as clear as day and yet you completely brushed it off for your own selfish pleasure. Or are you too incompetent to realize that?"

AJ's brows knit together, a grimace tugging down the corners of his lips. "Oh, I'm the incompetent one. Yet while you spent your time being Mister dark-and-depressing I've been going to- -"

"That's a low blow, hyung." Dongho interrupted as he stepped out from the hallway, his eyes narrowing on the scene. His remark--and presence--went nearly unnoticed, however. And the quick-paced, venomous bickering continued to escalate. It was all rapid-fire and occasionally the two would go off on a tangent. It was hard to tell if they were still arguing about one situation in particular, about several different things, or if at this point they were just letting out all of their pent up anger and frustration on each other.

"At least now I'm able to speak to Kevin in English! Make him feel less alientated."

"Oh whoop-dee-ing-doo." Kiseop rolled his eyes drammatically. "He's been here long enough, AJ! Hell, his Korean might even be better than yours! No doubt his English is. And who cares if you're more or less fluent in English? You still don't know how to talk to him. Now of all times! He probably hates you more than ever! Did you even bother to stop for a damn moment and say sorry?!"

"For what? I didn't do anything wrong. It's not my fault something happened to that kid! All I did was try to get Kevin out. Get him so fresh air. Do you not see how ill he looks?!"

"Of course I ing see! He's my best friend for crying out loud! I'd be an idiot not to see! But the point is he didn't want to go, AJ. He didn't ing want to go. And once again, you made him. You kept pressing him until you finally got what you wanted. How the hell did you get him outside with you anyways?"

"I--"

Kiseop scoffed, not even wanting to hear what he assumed would be excuses. "You tricked him, didn't you? What the hell did you say to him?" AJ was forced silent as the words continued seething from the other's grimacing lips. "What the hell did you tell him--"

"Guys, guys, guys!" Soohyun's voice raised over the acidity being thrown back and forth as he stepped into the dining room where the other three were. "Stop fighting, alright? Now tell me, who's in the wrong?"

Both Kiseop and AJ rolled their eyes, used to Soohyun's ineffective and utterly pointless method of 'solving problems'. It was childish and idiotic, but still they pointed out who was 'wrong'. Only they ended up pointing at each other.

"Well then- -"

"Just give it up, Soohyun!" Kiseop suddenly snapped, his voice continually increasing in audacity, causing the eldest's eyes to grow wide. "It's not going to work! It never does! I don't see who it would possibly work for! It's stupid!"

"You're the one who's being stupid!" AJ started up again, causing Kiseop's eyes to snap back to him, narrowed in an intense glare. "All the time you've spent with him, did you even bother to look at him? Really look at him? How do you not see how bad he looks?!"

Kiseop's hands balled at his sides, his teeth clenched and grinding as he tried desperately to resist the urge of lunging across the table and either swinging his fist or wrapping his fingers around AJ's neck. "First of all, I've only visited him twice. Yesterday being the second time because YOU ed up. Of course I want to see him more, but he wants. to be. alone. How have you not caught on to that?! And those two times that I was with him, I HAVE observed him, thanks. Probably more than you have! Have you observed him? Huh? Huh?! And no, I'm not happy seeing him like that either but you know what, AJ? What he's doing is what's making him happy. Something you've never been able to do for him.."

"Kiseop," AJ stressed, hissing the other man's name between his teeth. "He is spending countless hours with a man he doesn't even know! And the bastard is in a ing COMA! Tell me how that's healthy! How that's sane?! I beg you, go ahead. Tell me! ing tell me if I'm such an 'idiot'!!"

" you, you really don't know anything about respect do you--"

"He's comatose, Kiseop. Unconscious. Lifeless. He might never wake up! He might as well be d--"

"Shut the hell up- -"

"You know what? You're just angry--"

"WHAT DO I HAVE TO BE ANGRY ABOUT, AJ." Kiseop roared, his voice at the peak of its volume. The strain of everything causing the veins on his neck to stand. "THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME. THIS ISN'T ABOUT YOU--"

"I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS ALL REALLY ABOUT. THIS IS ABOUT KEVIN AND THAT GUY AND YOU'RE JUST PISSED BECAUSE THE PERSON YOU OFFERED YOUR HEART TO REJECTED YOU AND NOW HE'S BEING WON OVER BY SOMEONE WHO MAY AS WELL NOT EVEN BE HERE AND IT'S KILLING YOU--"

"SAYS THE PERSON WHO ME."

Kevin's voice cut through more easily than a hot blade through butter and the room immediately grew silent as all pairs of eyes widened and turned to face him, finding him and Hoon standing in the entryway. His fists were balled tight against his sides, jaw clenched taut, brows knitted. He was no longer the boy who had grown numb to everything. He stood here, fuming with rage and disgust. The ire exuding off him greater and more passionate than either Kiseop or AJ. He stood there in outrage, yet if you looked hard enough you could see he wasn't simply strugging to keep his temper in check, to keep from smashing someone's head in. There was no need to hold any of that back. If you looked hard enough, you could see he was struggling to keep himself together. To keep himself from breaking down and letting him slip into destruction.

"K-Kevin," AJ started nervously, his face burning at the outburst of words announced in front of everyone. "That's- that's not what happened."

"Oh, right." Kevin snapped back, his words soaked in venomous acrimony. The abhorrance in his voice was strong enough to make everyone flinch. "That what did happen?"

"You, WHAT?!" Soohyun quickly stood from his seat, the chair toppling backwards with a crash as he did. But no one answered him. Dongho looked just as surprised as he did, Kiseop only stared at the floor with sorrowful shame, and AJ's frightened eyes were in a stalemate with Kevin's relentless glare.

"Kevin, I didn't mean to- -"

"But you did."

"But I was drunk!"

"That's a pitiful excuse and it doesn't change anything."

"Kevin, please. I didn't know what I was doing. I was a mess, I- -"

"And I said no."

"Well it's your fault! You're the one who ing led me on!"

"I said NO. JUST LIKE YESTERDAY, I SAID NO. NO.  BUT YOU NEVER LISTEN, AJ. YOU NEVER ING LISTEN" Kevin's body shook as the shouts left his lips, his teeth grinding as they clenched tighter together, his vision blurring as the tears of anger welled up and stung his eyes.

"Get out of my house." Soohyun interrupted, his voice low and filled with unchallenged fury as he struggled to keep from lashing out.

"But Soohyun- -"

"AJ, GET OUT."

The addressed man huffed, shaking his head. " this ." He spat, his hand swiping at the table to knock over the dishes in reach as he stormed off, pushing past Kevin and Hoon to hurry out the door without so much as a pause or a glance.

"AJ- -" Hoon started, but the door slammed before he could attempt to say anything else.

"And you,"

Hoon quickly looked over to Soohyun.

"Why the hell would you bring him here?!" He asked, motioning to Kevin. "You know AJ and Kiseop haven't been getting along! Why give him something else to stress over?!"

"He needed to hear." Hoon stated in a simple, matter-of-fact tone that dumbfounded Soohyun.

"What the hell do you mean he needed to hear? No one needed to hear any of that! None of that should have even happened!!"

"He needed to see reality! What's really going on. He needs to see the real world and not just some storybook life he's making in the hospital room. That there's more to care about! What it's all doing to not just him but us." At this, Kevin's body had loosened up, his hands falling limp at his sides, eyes focused on the floor, staring yet not staring as his face openly displayed his solemn expression. The fire had left when AJ had. Now guilt was rushing through him, the numbness gradually freezing him over.

Soohyun's brows knit together, his mind struggling to find what to say. But eventually, he simply spat out  "You know what, you, Hoon."

And this time it was Hoon's eyes who grew wide with astonishment. Just beneath the surprise, the pained expression was beginning to surface. Lips parted to speak words that hadn't even registered in his mind. He didn't put up a fight though. He only scoffed and stormed out the door as well.

 

 

 

 

 

"Why didn't you say anything?" Soohyun asked softly, finally mustering the courage to break the fragile silence that had settled between them. The question was vague, but the gentle, concerned tone of his voice held all the details and unsaid words to the question.

Kevin's eyes slipped shut, lips quivering into a frown as he took a deep breath, trying to block everything out. "Look, can we not talk about it?"

"And you already knew?" Soohyun's eyes flickered over towards Kiseop, but the younger didn't answer.

"Well he had to go to someone, hyung." Dongho cut in, trying his best to protect the other two and end the conversation even though he only knew as much as Soohyun did. Which wasn't anything at all.

"Please.." Kevin begged again, the simple mention of the situation taking painful stabs at him. "I just.. I'm..." He shook his head, not quite knowing what he was trying to say. "I'm gonna go back..." He was finally in his shared apartment again and yet he began to depart as if he was only a visitor.

"I'll see you in a bit, Kev. I'll bring coffee." Kiseop finally spoke up, watching the other turn on his heel and make way for the door. But he received no answer. Not even a nod of the head. Kevin simply slinked out the door, no question about what his destination was.