You Don't Even Know Him

Everything is Spinning

A/N: I know all of you know what these lovely boys look like, but here are some quick picture references because I always think it's easier to read something when I know how the author is picturing them as they write. Especially since are dear k-pop stars change their appearance so often, it can be confusing if they're referred to not by their name but instead their hair-color or something. So as I write, this is how I picture: Eli, Kevin, and Kiseop

They're all so beautiful TT TT

 


 

After being pointed in the right direction, Kiseop frantically rushed down the hall towards room 148 toting a medium-sized duffle-bag. He was eager to burst into the room once he had finally found it, but right as his hand made contact with the cold metal of the metallic knob, something caught his eye and made him freeze in confusion. "Kim El..li? Eli?" His head tilted dubiously. Maybe the nurse just hadn't been able to stop by yet and add his best friend's name to the list. Either that or he could be optimistic and hope that his bestfriend wasn't in too bad of a condition to have to stay at the hospital, and thus his name didn't need to be put on the list! But if that was true, why did he request that he bring nearly all of his clothes, some books and notebooks, all his essentials and who knew what else that Kiseop couldn't remember packing for him but knew he did. Not wanting to waste anymore time he flung the door open and practically spilled from the doorframe. "Kevin! Are you okay?! - - ..Kevin?"

"Ah! Kiseop!" The auburn-haired boy had a chair pulled up to the side of the room's bed, his arms crossed to provide a make-shift pillow for his head as he decided to take a short snooze while he waited for the other male to arrive. But once his name was spoken, he quickly sat upright, almost energetic as ever. "Thank you so much for bringing everything!" He spoke with a bright smile as he stood to remove his luggage from the other.

"You're.. " Kiseop's eyes glanced up and down the other's body before flickering to the unconscious man in the background and then back to the brunette. "You're not hurt?"

Kevin laughed gently. "Of course not! I'm a good driver!" He said jokingly.

"Oh right," Kiseop began jokingly playing along. "I almost forgot: It's because you're American. Well then.. why are you even here? And needing a lot of your belongings? And who's that?" He pointed curiously to the bed-ridden male and immediately the brunette grew quiet.

Kevin's dark eyes glanced gingerly over the broad man's face, somewhat in fascination, somewhat wondering if he should (or how he should, rather) explain everything to Kiseop. Even if the other was his 'bestfriend', there wasn't much to tell. And that made the situation sound even more...ridiculous. "Eli Kim." He paused, debating whether or not to simply spew out all the information he knew about the man, but simply ended it with "He just moved here from America." All Kiseop had done was ask a few simple--and quite understandable--questions, but already he could feel an antsy, uncomfortable feeling in the pit of his stomach, not wanting to hear what his friend might have to say. Usually he enjoyed the other's company, but right now he had never felt more eager for the other to leave.

"Oh. So you know him?"

He wasn't sure why, but when the words left Kiseop's mouth his body tensed. "You know," Kevin checked the watch fastened around his thin wrist, attempting to seem casual. "I think the nurse is going to come in soon. She doesn't know I asked you to drop off my stuff so you should probably go. Here, I'll walk you out so we're out of her way." The words flowed from his lips more quickly than he intended and he could hear how anxious he sounded. Honestly, he didn't even want to step out of the room, but if that's what it would take to get Kiseop out...

"I asked a nurse where this room was though" Kiseop said, surprised by Kevin's hand on his back pushing him, although gently, out the door. "I'm sure she knows I'm here!"

"Even so, I don't want to get in her way." And just like that, Kevin won the miniature battle that only he was aware was being fought.

*     *     *

"Tell everyone I said 'Hi', okay?" Kevin said to Kiseop as they emerged from the hospital's entrance, but before the dark-haired boy could reply, he had already slipped back into the sterile building.

"Aish.." Kiseop sighed to himself. "Really, what's gotten into him?"

Kevin jogged back to room 148 as quickly as he could without seeming rude. He had only traveled it once, but he already knew his way to the room well. He was only gone for a few minutes, but in those few minutes anything could have happened. Despite his growing fears however, he was greeted with the steady beeping of the medical equipment that monitered the unconscious body, immediately providing him with relief. The auburn-haired boy resumed his bedside seat, slipping a hand into the hold of Eli's. The first time he had done it, he had felt extremely nervous. He didn't even know the other, yet here he was, watching over him more protectively than a lioness with her cub. He had never even seen or spoken with him before the accident, and yet here he sat, tightly holding his hand as if they were lovers. It was unlikely, but what if the man woke up? What would he think? But despite all the previous reluctance, Kevin inevitably convinced himself to simply go through with it. As far as he knew, right now he was all Eli had. Even if what he was doing could be seen as 'creepy', he wanted him to have some sort of support. People always say 'every little thing makes all the difference...even if it goes unnoticed.' And that easily assured his heart that he was right, and would therefore happily spend his time right where he was.

A small smile turning the corner of his lips upwards,  he rest his chin on the thin mattress of the bed, eyes gazing across the contours of Eli's face which, at this angle, somewhat reminded him of a mountain landscapes. The way the tip of his nose peaked then dropped down until they peaked slightly again where his closed lips were. Despite all the dressings and the medical equipment he appeared so peaceful, and yet seeing him simply lay there like that wrenched Kevin's heart. If only the other were simply sleeping...

"Kevin?"

Astonished, he quickly sat up, releasing Eli's hand from his light grasp, and turned so fast he feared giving himself whiplash towards the voice only to see the nurse with a wide smile on her face, coming by for another check-up. "You're still here? After tonight it will have been two days since you've been here! And I assume you'll be staying for a while, huh?" She asked warmly, noticing his dufflebag in the corner of the room.

"Yeah.." He laughed sheepishly..

"You know it's against hospital regulations to let those who aren't family stay past certain hours- -"

"But he doesn't have f- -"

"I know! I know!" She laughed at him for not noticing the teasing smile that was painted on her face. "I mean, that really is the rule, but seeing as how they haven't gotten onto you yet, I'm sure they understand. And if not, I'll talk to them for you." She gave him a reassuring wink before moving her attention to the unconscious male. Kevin nimbly moved away, no words to say. It didn't matter how friendly or upbeat they seemed, but just having a doctor or nurse of any sort in the room made his stomach turn. What if they came to bear bad news?

"He's doing good!"

Kevin let out an audible sigh of much needed relief, releasing all the air that had caught in his lungs as he had stopped breathing at some point in time. Soon after he could hear the nurse trying to stifle her giggles.

"I'm sorry," she apologized somewhat insincerely after noticing the look that she was given. "You're just so sweet. It's adorable to see you get so worked up and you don't even know him."

His dark eyes fell to the ground. Those words... they always hurt him for some reason. Even if he were to say them in his own thoughts, even just thinking 'I don't even know him' or 'I've never met him before this', he could feel his heart twist. Was it really that strange for him to be doing this? If he were in Eli's situation, he would most definitely want someone to be there for him. Just to know that someone was kind enough to care while no one else was there...

"Hey," Feeling the grasp of a thin hand on his shoulder, he looked up and met eyes with the nurse. "Don't worry too much, okay? He's doing fine and you should know that. He has been and I'm sure he'll only get better and better. Who knows, he could wake up before you know it!"

A corner of Kevin's lip attempted to raise in a smile, but it took more effort than he had to give.

"Here." She took his hand that had previously been holding Eli's and placed something cold in it, some sort of band simulataneously slipping around his wrist. "I have another one, so just keep this for as long as you need, okay?" Finally allowing himself to look at what it was, the silvery tone of the metal key shined underneath the light of the room. "It opens most, if not every door in the building. Even the kitchen/cafeteria." She placed a single finger of hers to her lips and gave him a wink, silently telling him 'keep it on the D.L'.

"Thanks.."

It wasn't even permanently his, but he would remember that single key as the best gift he had even been given.

 


 

A/N: I apologize for how incredibly short this update was! (I've never written something this short before..) and after such a long wait too.. I'm sorry for those of you who have taken interest in this story! It took me a while to figure out how I was going to write the rest since, you know, this story is kind of lacking input from the other main character. ;____; But as you're reading this, I should be working on the next chapter which should be much longer! And hopefully more interesting. I do hope you're still enjoying this story and that you'll keep reading<33 This was a kind of transition/foundation for the rest of the story. So I hope you'll stick around!