Dough and cream

My Xiuhan oneshot collection

"Alright, listen here you little piece of dough. I'm going to put the cream and berries on, and you're going to just sit there, be pretty and for the love of God, stay intact! Okay?" 

 

 

As if the cake had been waiting to taunt him the entire time, it fell apart right were it was sitting on it's tray while Luhan let out a cry in horror and disbelief. "Why?! Why does everything have to go wrong today? Minseok will be home in less than 30 minutes, I do not have time for this!" 

Leaving the lump of dough and cream to rot in the kitchen, Luhan threw himself onto the couch in the living room and rolled himself into a ball, wishing for the piece of furniture to eat him alive. Why couldn't he be a master-chef like Kyungsoo or Yixing? Why did he have to be such a failiure? What kind of boyfriend was he if he couldn't even bake a cake for his boyfriend? 

 

 

If it would've been any other day, Luhan wouldn't be crying over a failed cake. (Or maybe a small sniffle but nothing more than that!). But today Minseok was coming home from a two-week long business-trip, and to top it all off it was his birthday. And even though Luhan knew that he couldn't cook or bake to save his life, he still wanted to do something romantic and special for his boyfriend for once. Minseok had done so much for him, and he just wanted to give back every once in a while. But every single time he tried, it ended up in failure. This time seemed to be no different. 

 

 

Luhan had been so caught up in his own self-destructive thoughts, silently crying tears of frustration where he still laid as a ball on the couch, that he failed to hear the front door open and close. Foot-steps came closer until they stopped right by the couch, but Luhan was still too caught up in his own misery to realize. 

 

 

Minseok had expected a lot of things when he got home. He had expected Luhan to throw himself into Minseok's arms, hugging and kissing him like there was no tomorrow. Another scenario was finding Luhan  on the bed like he had last time, but when neither of these happened, Minseok began to wonder what his boyfriend was up to. Entering the living room after getting rid of his bag and coat, he quickly spotted his boyfriend on the couch. Thinking that Luhan must've fallen asleep waiting for him, he approached Luhan quietly with the intentions of moving him into a more comfortable position. Imagine his surprise when he, instead of a sleeping Luhan, found Luhan with tears tumbling down his cheeks, small sniffles muffled by the fabric of the couch.  

 

 

Immediately thinking that something terrible must've happened, Minseok hauled Luhan up from the couch into a sitting position and hugged him tightly, rubbing his hand up and down Luhan's back. "Luhan baby, what happened? Why are you crying?"  

 

 

Luhan, having been too shocked to do anything, finally lifted his arms and hugged Minseok back just as tightly. God, he had missed this man. "W-Welcome home Minseok." 

Minseok moved away from Luhan and cupped his face, using his thumbs to wipe away the stray tears that kept tumbling down. "What happened baby? Did you have a bad day at work?" Luhan only shook his head in reply and leaned forward to peck Minseok's lips, wishing to distract his boyfriend long enough so that he could get rid of the evidence of his failure in the kitchen. Minseok wasn't fooled though, even though he did enjoy Luhan's little kiss.  

"Luhan, really. Please tell me what's wrong. Did you miss me this much? I'm sorry I couldn't come home this morning, but my flight got delayed and-" 

 

 

"It's all ruined okay?! I ruined everything!" Luhan tried to get away from Minseok's grasp, but was unable to as his boyfriend was a lot stronger than him. Damn all those hours at the gym.  

"What do you mean you ruined everything? I don't understand Luhan." Minseok kept holding onto his trashing boyfriend, who seemed determined to get away from him.  

"I ruined your birthday okay? I'm such a failure that I can't even bake a freaking cake for my boyfriend on his birthday after he's been away from home for two long weeks. I can't do anything right." 

 

 

Minseok turned his head towards the kitchen and spotted the lump of what he supposed was the failed cake Luhan was talking about. A gentle smile overtaking his worried expression, he chuckled to himself and hugged Luhan once again, doing his best to hold on even when Luhan tried to get away. 

"Let go Minseok, let go! Let me just die from shame and embarrassment right here on the couch." 

Minseok squeezed tighter and chuckled some more, holding on until Luhan finally calmed down. "Oh Luhan, what am I going to do with you? You didn't have to make me anything at all, coming home to you is enough for me." He nuzzled his nose into Luhan's hair as said male blushed a pretty pink, cursing his boyfriend for being so good at sweet-talking.  

"But you always do so much for me and I want to do something for you every once in a while... But I always fail whenever I try. It's not fair." 

 

 

Leaning down, Minseok caught Luhan's lips in a sweet kiss, smiling into it when he felt Luhan lean into it as well. They broke apart when Minseok's smile became too big, and soon they found themselves snuggled together on the couch, basking in each other's warmth. "You make every day of my life special just by being in it. I love you so much, and you don't have to make yourself into something you aren't to earn my love. Haven't I told you that one too many times before?" 

Luhan whined deep in his throat and snuggled further into Minseok's chest, hiding his red cheeks. "Yes you have, but it doesn't make up for the fact that I can't even bake a simple birthday cake. And... I love you too." 

Minseok smiled as he kissed his boyfriend's head, smiling even wider when he felt Luhan kiss his jaw in return. Putting his lips close to Luhan's ear, he smirked as he felt Luhan shiver. "You know, there are still things we could do with the cream that didn't make it onto the cake."  

Oh, how Minseok loved being able to make Luhan's ears turn beat red in less than a second.