Hollering wolves

Between The Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing I noticed when I came back to myself was that awkward feeling on my face. Like lying in a million hot needles and feeling numb as well.
I opened my eyes and everything around me was totally white. I choked on the cold I inhaled and my back looking up to the sky.
From the trees above were falling little crystal stars and I outreached for them.
“Snow!” I sat up and my muscles against moving. My nose was frozen and from the cold, I felt all over my body, I was sure I laid more than some minutes in the snow. My wet clothes glued close to my body and it was a strange feeling to have a second cold wet skin. I quickly tried to stand up and stood there, in a forest in its deepest winter. I shivered and heard my teeth clenching against each others. “Is this Winter’s Forest? The one Xiumin warned me…” I hugged myself to keep the cold away and picked up my backpack.

Like destiny was waiting for me to remember Xiumin’s words, I heard a high holler behind me and light but fast steps in the snow.
I didn’t need to turn around to know what was waiting there for me but the fear frozen every single bone from running away so I tried to face what was growling in excitement to found a poor victim in the forest.

Three big white wolves stood some meters away in front of me, baring their teeth. I didn’t dare to breath and just stared into their big, hungry eyes.
All three of them ducked and their muscles prepared for an attack and so did my body for fleeing. With a big jump they came quickly near and I turned around and ran for my god damn life. I escaped between white trees and frozen bushes, pushing hastly all branches to the side and tried to speed up. I'm not your meal! Who said I didn't want to land in the middle of a wolf pack? Why is destiny so amused to tease me!?

After no long time they were closing up to me - one was directly behind me. I  felt the warmth of its breath already on my ankles. While trying to get rid of my follower at my back with breaking hooks from right to left - like a bunny on his last race to death - another one appeared to my right. With scary eyes it looked at me and I looked back which was a completely wrong idea, if you're running in a forest! I felt over, thunked on the ground and just heard a wince above myself before a monstrous pelt knot shook the ground and landed only meters away from me. I rolled over, almost lost my backpack but grabbed it right before I faced the third of the wolves in front of me. Before it could attack me, I attacked first and used my backpack to hit it right on its big teethed mouth. It made a painful sounded grain and jumped back.

Blood dropped down its snout where I hit it and now it looked even more monstrously, its raised its hackles and between the ivories came out a growl, made me shiver in fear. It slowly came near me and I robbed on my away from it until my back met a tree.
This is the end. I'll die as a frozen wolf appetizer in Winter's Forest and nobody will ever know, because they will eat me up to the bones.
I wondered what's more painful. Killed by a vampire or werewolf.
“STOP!” somebody screamed  and the wolves turned their heads around from where the familiar voice yelled through the forest. I put my backpack defensively in front of me like a shield. I looked as well from where the voice came. Suddenly, there was a person running in a rush in our direction. “XIUMIN!” my heart made a big jump and I was so relieved, that my voice swung up an octave. He placed himself between me and the wolves with his arms akimbo “Stop it, girls! She’s a friend of mine. Not your next dessert!” The wolves relaxed and made a step back like they were really listening to him. I risked it to breathe normally again.

We first thought she’s a vampire!

Yeah. We thought she was in the wrong territories. We apologize for this.

But anyway she hit my beautiful nose. Who's she?

Xiumin sighed in relief and so did I. I stood up and carefully sneaked behind Xiumin to the wolves “I'm sorry for your nose.” I answered all of a sudden. From Xiumin to the wolves all gazes were on me now. I looked up to him, wondered if I said something wrong but he just smiled bright at me.
Does she understand?  The wolf came near and looked deep in my eyes. Do you hear us?
I slowly nod and looked then to Xiumin. His jaw dropped and he blinked a few times.
“You do? Wow I thought I was the only one!” I slowly nodded again.
She’s so scary! What!? I'm scary? “No I’m not! Wolves who can talk are scarier!”
Xiumin seemed really amazed. When I looked back to the wolves instead of them there were standing three beautiful girls in front of me stretching their bones.
I bit my lip when I saw the one wiping the blood from her face and made me feel really awkward.
I just hit a beautiful girl’s face with all my strength.
“I-I’m so sorry for hiting you. Are you alright? So you're....werewolves?” she smiled at me brightly.
“It’s okay. You have a strong hit, I really have to say this! I’m so sorry we’d scared you. But first let me introduce myself. I’m Taeyeon and the two dummies crashing against each other were Tiffany and Seohyun. Actually I’m glad they were that clumsy and attacked you the same time you felt down instead of catching you, if you’re a friend with Xiumin.” This may should sound relieving but thinking about it, it scared me. “I’m Hyomi. Nice to meet you all and thanks for not killing me.”

Xiumin gave me his jacket and stood there in his t-shirt. “Are you not freezing?” He laughed again.  “No of course not. It’s my element. I love to be here. But I think we should leave quickly. You must be frozen to the marrow and the others will be happy to know you’re still alive.” I nodded and cuddled myself in his warm jacket and said goodbye to the three. They left again in wolf form and looking at them again I saw no monsters but beautiful proud predictors.

We walked a while until we reached the end of the forest. With another step it was suddenly summer again. I was amazed. I looked behind my back and there stood winter-white Winter’s Forest. Snowing and all in beautiful white. My nose flee and I sneezed. I sniffed and felt my forehead. It was hot boiling my brain to mud.
I felt clumsy and my steps got heavier after a while. Even the sun was shining, I felt cold.
Great time to catch a cold!

Xiumin opened the door and I went in. “LUHAN!??KRIS!? ANYBODY HOME??” Xiumin shouted happily through the corridors. He looked down on me, smiling "They will be over surprised!" I just shortly nodded, too tired to talk. His smile faded and he grabbed my arm to hold me. "Are you alright? You look pale!"
A door opened and Tao sneaked his head out. “HYOMI!?” My breath got heavier and my eyes were about to fall down. I trembled a step back and Xiumin caught me right before I met the floor. Someone touched my face. “She has dangerous fever. Bring her to a room. I’ll call Lay!” Tao picked me up and carried me away. I was really sleepy. “I’m glad you’re back again Hyomi but why do you have to be an emergency again?” I heard the smile out of his words and just mumbled something as an answer and drifted away.

When I woke up again from a strange dream I first saw Chen looking at me worried and touched my forehead. “Welcome back. Isn't it awesome you only had high fever for 10 minutes or something? I think it's amazing! Lay, you're amazing!” he grinned and looked to Lay. Before I could say anything the door opened and Cici came in with some tea on a tablet. “Here take this. No magic can replace a good refreshing tea.” I took a sip and smiled "Thank you."
As I looked up Cici had tears in her eyes. “Cici why are you crying?” I put the cup at the desk next to me. She hugged me and held me close “We thought you’d died last time! Why did you disappear? Where were you? Why did you leave me alone here with those kids?"
I looked over her shoulder to Chen and he nodded as well. “It’s true. You just disappeared and we were scared we will find you…like the other girls.”
“I’m sorry.” I sniffed and blinked my guilty tears away. Chen looked curious at me. “So where were you then?” I twiddled my thumbs and curled my lips.
“At home. After Kris sent me into the forest there was a portal and I just jumped through, hopin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter