Eight

10 things I want to do with you

“Love, are we really doing this?” Hyukjae raises his eyebrows, as Donghae stuffs the handful of papers and envelopes into his hands.

 

“Of course, Hyukkie. Don’t tell me you’re thinking of backing out now.” Donghae says, already starting to scribble furiously on his paper.

 

Hyukjae laughs, shaking his head, and starts to write as well.

 

 

They spend the afternoon sitting by the window, pens scratching against paper, occasionally drinking a few sips of their favourite tea.

 

Donghae huffs, his bangs fluttering slightly in the process.

 

“What’s wrong, love?” Hyukjae chuckles, reaching over to pat Donghae’s cheek.

 

Donghae sighs dramatically, burying his face into his hands.

 

“I’m out of inspiration,” Donghae taps his pen against the wooden desk, letting it fall to the ground after a while.

 

Hyukjae frowns, picking up the pen and leaning down to leave a kiss on Donghae’s chapped lips.

 

“A kiss for some inspiration?” Donghae laughs, swatting Hyukjae’s hands away.

 

He takes the pen into his hands again, and begins to write the last of the paragraph.


 

That evening, they walk to the nearest mailbox, and drop the envelopes in together.

 

Days pass, and they carry on their daily routines as usual.

 

Until Hyukjae suddenly remembers.

 

“Hey, it should have arrived by now, right?”

 

Donghae nods blearily, woken up from his nap by Hyukjae’s sudden remark.

 

“I’ll go and collect them, love. You look tired.” Hyukjae mumbles, letting his hand gently brush against Donghae’s cheeks.

 

Donghae nods, feeling his head hurt more than usual today.


 

Hyukjae smiles, taking the keys and closing the room door gently.

 

When he returns, the envelopes fall to the ground.

 

He hurries over to the unconscious body on the ground, surrounded by a million shattered pieces of glass.

 

-

 

Dear Donghae,

time passes so quickly, doesn’t it? It’s strange, to think that we were once kids who only knew how to rush home from school every day to watch cartoons together.

 

Sometimes I wish that time would stop, Donghae-ah. So we could create more beautiful memories together.

 

But I suppose that I shall have to be happy with what I have.

 

Donghae-ah, did you know? You were the one who brought me out of my shell back then. I was always the strange kid in class who didn’t talk to anyone.

 

But you were the first to talk to me, and the first to make me smile.

 

Thank you.

 

Without you, I would still be that strange kid who didn’t know how to be happy.

 

You make me so happy, love.

 

Ah, times like this I feel like crying, but you’re sitting right beside me now, and you’ve told me countless times that you hate to see me cry.

 

So I shall only smile from now on.

 

You look the most beautiful when you smile, Hae. No, you always look beautiful. I love seeing the blush on your cheeks whenever I tell you this. But it’s true, you’re the most beautiful person I’ve ever met, inside and out.

 

Thank you for always being so loving, and teaching me how to love as well.

 

Don’t worry, love. I’ll take care of you from now on. I’ll always be by your side.

 

I love you so much.

 

Love,

Hyukjae


 

Dear Hyukjae,

 

I suppose my time is running out now.

 

But it’s all right. I’ve come to accept it. So I hope you will as well, Hyukjae.

 

Don’t worry about me anymore. I hope that you’ll spend more time taking care of yourself now.

 

I only want to see you smiling from now on, Hyukjae. Please don’t shed another tear for me. Silly, silly Hyukjae. I’ve never seen you cry since you lost that football match in senior high.

 

Ah, it’s been years since I last felt the wind against my face when playing football. Remember how we would race on the tracks together?

 

I suppose I shall get to feel the wind again now.

 

Don’t be sad anymore, my dear. I’m happy for all the time that was given to us, and all the time that we spent together. It was enough. It might not have truly been enough, but it was enough to let me know how much you love me.

 

Thank you for loving me. I’ll never be able to repay all that you have done and all the love that you have given me.

 

Thank you for being the only one by my side all these years.

 

I’m sorry that I won’t be able to be by your side anymore.

 

But you’ll do fine, right? You’re my strong Hyukjae.

 

So don’t worry anymore, I’ll be fine. Promise me, Hyukjae. Promise me that you’ll be okay as well.

 

I’ll always be here.

 

I love you.

 

Love,

Donghae


 

8. I’ve only seen this in movies before, but I’ve always wanted to try it. Let’s write each other love letters.