Nine

10 things I want to do with you

Donghae blinks, his vision rather blurry, and it takes a while for it to clear.

 

He looks around, and it’s rather strange. This place seems so familiar, like the one he’s always seen in his dreams.

 

London.

 

It takes another minute for him to realise. He’s in the place he always wanted to visit with Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae… Where is Hyukjae? Donghae thinks to himself, and he finds himself shivering without Hyukjae’s warm hand in his.

 

He walks a little further, wrapping his jacket tightly around his freezing body. He squints, peering at the tall structure in the near distance.

 

The London Eye. Donghae lets out an inaudible gasp, taking in the majestic sight of the ferris wheel that he’s always dreamed of.

 

It would be better if Hyukjae were here to see this with him, Donghae thinks.

 

It’s strange, where is Hyukjae? And… why are the streets so empty? Donghae wonders, and before he can take another step, he finds his world spinning around him, and all turns black.

 

-

 

Hyukjae looks around, blinking as he takes in the strangely familiar view.

 

It’s their high school classroom, he realises.

 

His legs move without him having to think, and before he knows it, he’s at his old table. He chuckles when he finds the mark scratched deeply into the corner of his desk.

 

Donghae loves Hyukjae!!!

 

He laughs, wrinkles forming at the corners of his eyes as he traces the tiny hearts imprinted onto the wooden desk.

 

He takes one last look, and he walks towards the garden, hidden quietly at the back of the school. He remembers, it was their secret dating spot. Only a rare few knew about this place.

 

The afternoons spent cuddling and kissing on the bench, the sandwiches and jokes shared, the homework done together at the last minute…

 

He remembers it all.

 

All of a sudden, everything spins around him, and all he sees is darkness.


 

He opens his eyes, and he finds that he’s in a place he’s only seen in postcards.

 

London. Hyukjae breathes.

 

He takes a step forward, feeling the chilly air pierce through his skin.

 

He gasps as he sees what’s lying on the ground.

 

He runs past the Tower Bridge and the London Eye in the process, but he doesn’t stop to take a look. He bends down, taking the soft material into his hands.

 

It’s the scarf he always wrapped around Donghae’s neck.

 

Donghae… Hyukjae suddenly remembers.

 

And everything turns black once again.

 

-

 

Hyukjae nearly falls to the ground as he feels the cooling sensation against his feet. He blinks, gasping as he is greeted with the sight of clear blue water, and the vast expanse of sky above him.

 

It’s eerily quiet, apart from the crashing of the waves against his feet. He lets his toes dig into the sand, bending down to feel the cooling water.

 

He takes one last look, and he finds himself walking towards a quiet villa by the beach.

 

He enters, and he lets himself flop onto the bed.

 

It feels strangely empty, although the sun is shining so brightly and the water is the clearest it has ever been.

 

He sits up again, hands gripping onto the soft cushion beneath him.

 

He frowns when he sees a small notebook on the table next to the bed. He reaches out, and looks curiously at the small writing in it.

 

We’ve been here.

 

How strange, he thinks, as he lets his head fall back onto the pillow beneath him, the sound of the waves crashing against the shore lulling him to sleep.

 

-

 

This time, he finds himself in an all too familiar place.

 

New york, new york...

 

He hums the familiar tune quietly.

 

He walks through the busy streets, bumping into countless people along the way.

 

He sips from his cup, letting out a pleased sigh while watching the busy crowds from his quiet corner in the cafe.

 

There is music playing in the cafe, the tinkling sound every time someone enters, and the buzz of ongoing conversations.

 

Yet, it is still so empty.

 

He leans back, stretching, before finishing his cup of hot chocolate.

 

He sets down the now empty cup, before stepping out of the cafe. The warmth of the sun greets him, and he brings his hand up to shield his eyes from the glare.


 

He stops when he sees a park around the corner, drawn towards the flowers that are blooming.

 

He hurries over, taking in a deep breath as the calming scent fills the area.

 

As he bends down to pick up a flower that has fallen onto the ground, he hears footsteps behind him.

 

It’s an azalea, he notes. One of Donghae’s favourite flowers.

 

He turns, and the flower falls to the ground again.

 

-

 

Hyukjae’s eyes open all of a sudden, and he takes in a deep breath. He looks around, and all he sees are white walls once again.

 

He looks down, and he realises that he’s still sitting on the hard plastic chair, hand tightly interlaced with another.

 

He lets out a shaky breath, and he turns to look at the man lying next to him.

 

“Wake up, love…” Hyukjae utters brokenly, tears streaming down his face.

 

“You have to wake up, so we can do what you always wanted to do…”

 

9. We were too busy for this in the past. Now, shall we do it? Let’s travel the world together.