Seven

10 things I want to do with you

"Hyukkie!! Where's the strawberry jam?"

 

"It's in the second cupboard from the right, Hae."

 

"Oh, right!" Donghae giggles and rummages through the cupboard excitedly, making Hyukjae chuckle.

 

Hyukjae continues to roll the kimbap, failing horribly as all the ingredients start falling out.

 

"Hyukjae, what are you doing?"

 

Hyukjae scratches his head awkwardly, smiling sheepishly at Donghae.

 

"Cutting the kimbap?"

 

"Aish, let me do it. Can you help me to pack the bread and jam instead?"

 

"Gosh babe, you're so naggy." Hyukjae whines, only to receive a smack on the head from Donghae.

 

"Ouch!"

 

"Hmph!" Donghae pouts and turns to cut the kimbap.

 

Hyukjae grins as he watches a sulky Donghae moving around the kitchen.

 

"Aigoo... Is my baby pouting?" Hyukjae stands behind Donghae, wrapping his arms around Donghae's waist.

 

"Go away, Hyukkie."

 

"Come on, Hae. Are you really angry?" Hyukjae whispers into Donghae's ear, while moving his hands to tickle Donghae's waist.

 

"Hyukkie!! That tickles!!!" Donghae giggles, pushing Hyukjae's arms away.


 

"Is my baby still angry at me?" Hyukjae pouts at Donghae, making Donghae smile. Donghae places both of his hands onto Hyukjae's face.

 

"Nope, but that's only because you're being extremely adorable today."

 

Hyukjae grins and kisses Donghae's nose, continuing to wrap his arms around Donghae's waist, watching him place the kimbap into a box. He wishes that he can watch Donghae like this forever, with the warmth radiating from their bodies pressed tightly together.

 

-

Hyukjae smiles fondly when he sees Donghae peering curiously out of the car window, occasionally dancing along to their favourite playlist.

 

"Hyukjae, are we going to the same place we went to with Kyu and Min the other time?"

 

"Nope." Hyukjae ruffles Donghae's hair, his eyes on the road.

 

"We're going somewhere special this time."

 

-

 

Hyukjae holds Donghae's hand, leading him towards the open area, tucked in a quiet corner of the countryside. The sun is setting, and Donghae grins as he feels the warmth of the sun's rays on his face, and he looks at the pinkish sky in admiration.

 

They reach a nice quiet corner, where they have an unrestricted view of the sky.

 

Hyukjae puts down the basket, motioning for Donghae to sit down. He then starts to lay out the mat they brought, while Donghae sits at the side watching him. Donghae smiles, watching Hyukjae being so focused, just to make everything perfect for him.

 

Hyukjae then reaches out his hand, and pulls Donghae to stand up, guiding him to sit on the mat.

 

Donghae excitedly takes out the food, starting to munch on the sandwiches, feeding Hyukjae in between bites.

 

Soon, the sky turns dark, and their food is almost finished. Hyukjae pulls Donghae to lie down on the mat.

 

Hyukjae places his arms below his head, gazing at the stars in the sky with an unreadable expression on his face. Donghae cuddles into Hyukjae's side, and Hyukjae brings him into his embrace.  

 

"The stars are so beautiful, Hyukkie."

 

"Yeah..."

 

"There are so many! Much more than that time when we went stargazing with Kyu and Min."

 

"Mm... That's why this is a special place for us."

 

Donghae smiles, leaning his head against Hyukjae's broad chest.

 

"Thanks, Hyukjae."

 

"Anything for you, Hae."

 

-

 

They spend the night talking about their youth, their hopes, their dreams.

 

Donghae's words become slurred as he starts to feel sleepy, but Hyukjae doesn't mind listening to Donghae's stories.

 

"And that day... I was in class... And Min left me alone for Kyu. Can you believe it, Hyukjae?"

 

"Oh, and I made strawberry bread for you that day, but it got burnt, so I had to throw it away.." Hyukjae chuckles at that.


 

“Do you remember, Hyukjae? That day when we fought and you got drenched in the rain because I wouldn’t let you into the house?” Hyukjae nods, pressing his nose against Donghae’s hair.

 

“I remember that.” Hyukjae replies, absently running his fingers around the ring on Donghae’s finger.

 

“You fell sick after that and I couldn’t bring myself to be mad at you any longer…” Donghae mumbles guiltily, and Hyukjae’s fingers stop moving.

 

“I’m sorry, Hyukjae… For always causing you trouble, for always making you worry…”

 

“Don’t,” Hyukjae utters, breathing sharply.

 

“Don’t ever apologise, Hae.” Hyukjae looks into the teary eyes, kissing the tip of his nose.

 

“I love you,” Hyukjae murmurs, and Donghae feels his heartbeat quickening at that, as if they were teenagers again, confessing their love for each other in front of their school lockers.

 

“I love you too…” Donghae whispers, letting his head fall against the other’s chest, interlacing their fingers again. Hyukjae brings the pale hand to his lips, kissing it softly.



 

"Hyukjae.."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"We've never been separated for long since we were children."

 

"Yeah..."

 

"It's difficult, Hyuk-ah."

 

"What is?"

 

"It's difficult to imagine you not being by my side."

 

"Hae..."

 

"It is, right?"

 

"Yes," Hyukjae pauses, brushing his fingers through Donghae's fringe. "So Hae... Don't leave me alone." Donghae gazes at their intertwined hands.

 

"Hyukjae... You won't be alone." Hyukjae looks at Donghae tenderly.

 

"I'll be a star in the sky, watching upon you."

 

It takes a moment for that to sink in, and Hyukjae blinks back his tears furiously.


 

"I wish... It could always be like this, Hae." Donghae slightly stiffens, and he buries his head into Hyukjae's chest, not wanting him to see his watery eyes. But Hyukjae knows, as he always has.

 

"It's okay, Hae..." Hyukjae whispers, while patting Donghae's head.

 

"It'll be all right."

 

Will it truly be?

 

Hyukjae isn’t sure this time, but he utters the promises to Donghae all the same.

 

He feels the weight leaning against his chest getting heavier and he smiles fondly, pressing a gentle kiss to the messy fringe of the man in his arms, who is blinking blearily as he tries so hard not to fall asleep.

 

Hyukjae closes his eyes, and attempts to picture their future he creates in his mind.

 

He opens them, and all he sees is a sky full of stars.



 

Donghae gazes at the stars, feeling himself being lulled to sleep by Hyukjae's gentle patting.

 

"I... love... you... Hyukkie..." Donghae murmurs, before falling asleep.

 

Hyukjae tightens his hold around Donghae, gazing at the night sky, and he kind of pictures Donghae's face among the stars.

 

"Love you too, Hae."

 

7. Let’s go on a picnic, under the stars…

 

-

Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate every single one of them <3