Ramen

Glowing Hearts

It’s finally summer JaeBum thinks to himself as he walks down the hallway to his locker. Grabbing the rest of the items out of the storage component, JaeBum stuffs the objects into his bag. JaeBum’s about to close the door when he sees the pile of papers that accommodated the last 4 months. The piles had gone from 2 medium piles to taking up most of the locker space. Collecting all the scraps, JaeBum couldn’t help but blush and thinks, “What am I doing…” He wraps a band around the 2 large piles, and places it into his bag.

Closing the locker door, JaeBum turns and starts walking out of the school. Right as he walks out of the gates he hears his name being called. “Yo, JaeBum wait up!”

Turning around he sees JinYoung running towards him. Stopping, JaeBum waits for JinYoung. “What you want?”

“Do you want to do something…it’s the last day and all…”

JaeBum looks at JinYoung weirdly, “You realize you’re asking me of all people right?”

JinYoung just smiles, “Yeah I know. So, how about it.”

“No. We aren’t even friends, Jr.”

“As acquaintances then. Two classmates hanging out.”

“You’re really set on this aren’t you?”

JinYoung nods enthusiastically. 

“…fine.”

JinYoung's smile grew into a grin and he wraps his arm around JaeBum’s shoulders and starts dragging him down the street, “Let’s go!”

“Hands Off!”

JinYoung quickly moves his arms off JaeBum and stuffs them into his pockets, “Sorry.”

JaeBum rolls his eyes, and lets out a puff of breath as he sees JinYoung starting to pout, “Whatever. Where exactly are we going anyways?”

JinYoung shrugs, “I ‘unno,” his eyes then light up, “let’s go eat. I’m totally craving ramen.”

JaeBum stuffs his hands into his pant pockets, mirroring the other, “Fine, whatever. You’re paying.”

“How about dutch.”

“How bout no and I leave instead.”

Feeling the weight of JinYoung’s hand on his arm, “Fine, fine. Just sit your pretty face down when we get there and eat. I’ll pay.”

JaeBum rolls his eyes and shrugs his arm. “Hand.”

JinYoung looks down at his hand gripping the others arm before quickly removing it. Letting out an awkward chuckle, “Right, sorry.”

The two then continue to walk down the street. They arrive at the small ramen restaurant a couple minutes later.

“Ajumma, 2 ramen with cheese please!”

The two sit down on opposite ends staring at each other in awkward silence.

“So…uh, high school is finally over huh.”

“Yeah. Finally getting away from that hell.” JaeBum replies, staring JinYoung in the face.

Awkwardly coughing, “Right…”

“You doing anything this summer?”

“What, think I’m going on a make-belief vacation again?”

JinYoung frowned and looked guilty. Biting his lip, JinYoung meets JaeBum’s stare straight on, “Look, I’m trying ok. I’m not looking for you to accept me a lover right now, or even a best friend. I know what I did was not acceptable in anyway. I, I just want to make things right between us. I want us to try to be at least friends for now. But, I can’t do it with just me. So, please, can you please try with me?”

JinYoung sees JaeBum contemplating his words, “I don’t forgive you. Not yet. And no we can’t be friends right now. But I’ll try to be civil with you.”

“Thank you. That’s all I ask for.”

The two males sit in silence staring at the scenery outside the window.

JinYoung clears his throat, “So, which university did you apply for?”

“Konkuk University, how about you?”

“KyungHee, I just hope I got in.”

“If anything, the routine I saw last time was really good.”

A light blush colours JinYoung’s face, “Thank you.” Both knew what that thank you was also for.

“I’m actually hoping to major in literature and minor in chorography though.”

JaeBum’s eyebrows shoot up, “I see.”

“What?”

“Oh it’s nothing, you don’t look the type that’s all. I would have thought you’d major in dance, minor in something athletic. Since you were on the swimming team and all.”

“Nah, I really only went on the team cause I liked the sport and hoped to get a scholarship out of it.”

JaeBum nodding understandingly, “Makes sense.”

The two ramen dishes was set in front on the two boys, “Here you are boys. Enjoy.”

The two males bow and say thanks to the Ajumma, then start digging into the food, slurping up the noodles.

Enjoying his meal, JaeBum glances at JinYoung, seeing the other is red in the face. JaeBum shakes his head before pushing the glass of water towards the other and dropping some slices of Danmuji into the other’s bowl.

Coughing out a “Thanks,” JinYoung grabs the glass of water and gulps it down.

JaeBum grunts, “You can’t eat spicy food can you?”

JinYoung puts down the empty glass, “It’s so good though~!”

This makes JaeBum chuckle, “Next time we should just go eat Chinese.”

JinYoung’s eyes widens, “Next time? You said next time. Promise?”

JaeBum swears under his breath, “.”

JinYoung shoves his pinky towards JaeBum, wiggling it, “You said it, now promise!”

Biting his cheek, and sighing out loud, “Fine. Promise.” JaeBum then extends his finger towards the other, JinYoung using his own and hooks it with JaeBum’s. Pulling JaeBum’s hand forward, JinYoung uses his thumb to stamp with the other’s thumb.

“Asah!”

JaeBum pulling his hand away, “Shut up and eat,” before turning back to finishing his bowl of food.

With a big grin on his face, JinYoung went back to his meal.

-

JaeBum walks out of the restaurant and waits for JinYoung. Seeing the other walk out, JaeBum starts walking down the block. “JaeBum, wait up!”

JinYoung drapes his arm across JaeBum’s shoulders. JinYoung feels JaeBum tense but say nothing; feeling that JaeBum relax a bit JinYoung keeps his arm on the other youth.

“You doing anything tomorrow?”

“Do you not have any friends of anything, JinYoung-sshi?”

“I do, but I just want to hang-out with you. Get to know you more, get to know my soulmate.”

“We are not hanging out tomorrow, Jr.”

JinYoung removes his arm from JaeBum, “Oh…”

JaeBum let out a sigh, thinking to himself, ‘Dammit’, “Meet me in the basketball court, next week.”

JinYoung eyes widen and grins.

“NEXT WEEK, JinYoung.”

“Yes, yes. Next week it is.”

Turning his back to JinYoung, “Thanks for the meal.” Raising his right hand, doing a peace symbol, “See ya, next week. Bye.” JaeBum then puts his hands into his pockets and walks towards his home.

JinYoung shouts out to JaeBum, “BYE! SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!” JinYoung then proceeds to walk towards his own home.