Apologies

Glowing Hearts

Every day since then, JaeBum’s been receiving apology gifts. Either slipped into his locker or placed on his desk.  

It started with cards, simple apology cards bought from stores with an ‘I’m sorry’ written on the inside and signed by JinYoung. JaeBum received them for a month –they always ended up in the trash.

 

Next came chocolates, candy, pastries, whatever sweet treats and desserts JinYoung could come up with. They were always left on his desk.  

(JaeBum walks into the classroom and sees a small box on top of his desk. Taking a seat, he gingerly inspects the package. Chocolate. Inside the small tag attached to the nicely tied bow read ‘To JaeBum’ in a very familiar scribble. Rolling his eyes, he looks at the student that is seated next to him; some girl called ChaeYeon or something. He places the box on her desk, “Here, have it, or throw it away, I don’t care.” and turns to stare out the window beside his desk.)

The treats lasted for another month.

 

After the treats, JaeBum found random gifts and trinkets on his desk instead, ranging from bouquets of flowers (those he gave to the girls) to little stuffed animals (once again -to the girls) to armbands and snapbacks (those, he might or might not have kept).

(JaeBum walks into the classroom half expecting another bouquet of roses again. Instead he sees a black studded cap, new and in pristine condition. Taking his seat he takes the snapback and inspects the cap, it’s made of fine leather and rows of studs litter the front. Shrugging he puts on the hat, and waits for class to start –at least JinYoung’s got some fashion sense, JaeBum thinks to himself.)

The gifts last 2 months (JaeBum’s suspects it’s because JinYoung’s running out of cash).  

 

After the gifts, came hand written letters (confirming JaeBum's previous suspicion). Either written apologies or random poems and quotes or both; an apology letter slipped into his locker, while on his desk- a poem rolled and tied with a ribbon.

(JaeBum opens his locker to see another piece of paper on top of his calculus textbook. Sighing and annoyed, he picks up the paper and scans its contents. He gives a quiet chuckle at some of the sentences, but quickly sobers remembering who exactly were sending these to him. Finishing with the letter, he folds it up and places it on the growing pile in the back of his locker. One for the letters and another pile for the poems.)

These lasted for 3 –almost 4 months.

-

Seasons start to change from fall, to winter, to spring. Now it’s almost summer once again, and it’s finals for everyone, so JaeBum doesn’t expect anything for a while; especially with everyone worrying about the college entrance exam. But that doesn’t mean that JaeBum doesn’t get a little disappointed when he opens his locker and sees no note, or gift on his desk. Receiving apology and almost love notes for months, does things to a person heart –even if they did happen to be from JinYoung. JaeBum guesses it also has to be the fact that they’re connected, so that’s doing something screwy with his emotions as well.

-

JaeBum tries to find quiet place to study, his English final is coming up, and really he needed all the studying he could get. JaeBum wanders the halls, passing the study hall & library (he doesn’t get why they're labeled that, since all students do there is talk), he keeps walking, only to stop at the dance studio, next to the music room. JinYoung’s in the room dancing. Alone.

JaeBum stops and looks though the glassed door to watch JinYoung’s routine. JinYoung is locking, with tutting bleeding in at parts. Based off the sweat running down the youth’s face, he’s been in the room for a while.

JaeBum doesn’t know why but he watches the boy until the entire routine in done. When JinYoung takes his water and switches off his iPod is when JaeBum wakes up from his trance and backs away from the door. But it’s too late, JinYoung sees him from the large wall mirror. They lock eyes. 

JaeBum feels the blood rush up to his face (his cheeks), and turns to walk away from the room and JinYoung.

“Wait!”

JaeBum swears under his breath, but stops. JaeBum doesn’t turn back around to face the other, but he can sense that the other is right behind him.

The two stay silent. JinYoung not knowing why he stopped JaeBum, and JaeBum not knowing why he stopped at the request.  

“If you aren’t going to speak, I’m going.”

“Uh…”

“Whatever.” JaeBum starts walking away.

“WAIT!” JaeBum stops. “Uhm…am I- can we be friends?”

JaeBum opens his mouth ready to tell JinYoung 'no', but instead he shuts his mouth closed, thinking.

JinYoung swears at himself for being so dumb, but looks at JaeBum in anticipation to let him know the answer that’s been on his mind, since this whole thing started 8 months ago.

“Ask me again in 4 months.” And JaeBum walks away from the other.

JinYoung looks at the retreating back confused for a minute, before a smile spreads on his face. Walking back into the enclosed room, JinYoung turns on his playlist, and starts another dance routine; the smile never leaving his face.

-

The next day JaeBum finds another piece of paper slip out of locker. This time it was short, only 1 sentence written.

3 Months and 29 Days.

JaeBum can’t help but let out a laugh.

The note joins the growing pile of paper in the back of his locker.