Unexpected Blind Date

Black and Gold

When Amy, my best female friend, told me that she was going set me up on a blind date, I was very, very skeptical. I mean, I have encountered a lot of bigoted blind dates. A lot of them would tell me that they wouldn't date black women right before they try to cover up their ignorance with the same inane line that I have heard over a thousand times: "But I'm not racist, though." It's so tiring, so I didn't know if I was ready to put up with that again. Nonetheless, I decided to give it another try.

I pulled out my black halter dress:

and styled my havanna twists like this:

. I also did my makeup like this:

.

When I was finished, I was starting to have second thoughts about this date. I mean, if I run into another jerk, I will seriously start crying right where I stood.

Earlier today, Am told me she ran into one of her old university buddies, and she thought it would be a good idea to have us go on a date while he was still in town. She promised that this one isn't racist, but I was still going to have my guard up.

"You're going to love Daniel," Amy insisted. "He's so sweet, and he's into God of War just like you are, Kate."

"Sounds like my type of man already," I smiled. "What time does he want to meet?"

"Um, how about at 8"

"Deal."

Here I am now, preparing to meet up with Daniel tonight at a local bar. Will he like me, or will this one be just like the rest of them? I was just hoping for the best. Suddenly, the phone rang, and Amy's cell phone appeared on my caller ID.

I answered it. "Hey, Amy. Is he there?"

"Yeah, he's been waiting for five minutes. Where are you?"

"I'm on my way right now."

"Well, come on!" Amy hung up the phone and left me alone to check for anything out of place in the mirror. When I was finally satisfied with my appearance, I grabbed my wallet and key and sprinted out to my car.

The drive to the bar took 10 minutes, so I know Amy must be growing impatient with me by the minute. When I arrived, I saw Amy tapping he foot outside when she saw my car.

"Daniel's inside," Amy said as she rushed me into the bar. "Go, go, go!"

"Thanks, Amy," I smiled.

"Just get in there and have a good time."

As I headed to the booth, I searched for a man who was about my age, but to no avail. Finally, I decided to take a tequila sunrise bu the time I sat down at the booth while scoping around the room.

While I was on my search, I did a double take when I saw a handsome, Eurasian man next ot me sipping a dirty martini. He wore a black sweater with white lining around the neck and white pants, highlighting his lightly tanned skin. Even underneath that somewhat baggy sweater, I could tell that he had a well-trained body. His hair was slicked back, revealing a well groomed face and strong jawline. I've always loved Eurasian men, so you could only imagine how I felt being next to one. When he caught me checking him out, he smiled at me and nodded his head before continuing to sip his drink. God, he even made drinking look y.

I suddenly remembered I had a blind date, so I pulled myself together and tried my best not to stare at the man.

A phone went off, causing everyone at the bar to check their phones. The Eurasian man realized it was his phone and answered it.

"Hello," the man's deep and sultry voice answered. "No, I don't see her yet. Do you think she went off to another bar looking for me? She didn't come out? She's at the booth and next to me? Where?" The man's catlike eyes met mine. He smiled his intoxicating smile and asked, "Are you Kate?"

"Y-yes," I breathed out. "Are you Daniel?"

"Yes, I am." Daniel reached out his hand for a handshake, which I gave him. "I found her. Okay. see you later." He hung up the phone.

"Was that Amy Chang on the phone?"

"Yeah, how do you know her?"

"She's a good friend of mine. We used to go to the same university together and were roommates. We also used to be in the same sorority together until we graduated. We were also valedictorian in our classes."

"That's really cool."

"How do you know her?"

"We used to go out way back then, like in high school. I find it really amazing that my ex would be setting me up on a date with one of her friends."

"Amy never let anything get to her. She leaves things in the past. It's like she throws them away and forgets about them.

"Just like her. What do you do now?"

"I work as an Avon representative for the district. Sales have been going up lately, so I believe I made the right choice. I've been dedicated to Avon since I was little, and I've never stopped collecting brochures."

You were that dedicated. Wow!" Daniel gave me the same smile he did when we met earlier. which made my heart race. I have a feeling this might be a great evening for me after all.

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a technician engineer for Google."

"Google?! You must be supersmart. Are those rumors about 2-hour breaks true?"

"Yes, they are. Also, it takes more than just brains to work foe Google. You have to have creativity and heart. People believe they have to have degrees and a whole lot of rocket science knowledge to work for Google, but if you don't have the heart, no master's degree will help you."

"I never realized that. Thanks. It bothers me, too, when people believe we only sell makeup, but we sell jewelry, baking utensils, clothes, tools, ect."

For the rest of the time we spent together, we dranked, partied, and just enjoyed each other's company. When Alexandra Stan's "Mr. Saxobeat" came on, I channeled my bellydancing routine, which consisted of shimmies and figure eights, to the Euro-dance beat. I could feel eyes on me, which only encouraged me to dance even more. I briefly opened my eyes to see male patrons' eyes crawling all over me while women tried in vain to copy my style. I could see Daniel, too, was in awe of my dancing skills.

After Alexandra stopped possessing my body, Daniel got really close to me and told me he liked my rhythm before we left the bar.

"Thanks," I grinned. "The rhythm just comes naturally to me. That and a few years of bellydance."

"So that's why those movements were so hypnotic and y," he teased, which made the both us of chuckle.. "How did you get interested in bellydancing?"

"I saw these twins named Neena and Veena:

, and I was automatically hypnotized by how perfectly executed and absolutely beautiful their routine was. I wanted to seem that exotic and hypnoits as they did, so I took a class, did routines, and performed while getting lots of publicity the more I did them. I'm doing another one next week, and you just saw a taste of it. Wanna go? I have tickets."

"I'd love to go, but can I tell you something?"

"Sure."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I never expected you to be African-American."

I stopped in my tracks immediately and looked him straight in the eyes. I just knew this was too good to be true. I just knew I'd run into another jerk, but before I jumped to conclusions, I calmly asked him, "Exactly what do you mean by that?"

"It's just I've always dated either white girls or Asian girls. I'm not racist or anything, but going out with a black girl just never crossed my mind. I'm definitely not biased nor do I have a particular preference in wat I'd like for my partner to look like, understand that. I just never lived anywhere where a lot of black people lived, so I've never dated one before. I found you absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking sice I've met you, and I still do. I never expected anything out of my pattern, that's all, but I am willing to see how this goes. That's what I was saying."

I breathed a sigh of relief and responded, "Oh, okay. Thank you for saying that. For a second, I thought you wre going to be like the rest of them."

"The rest of who?"

I laced my fingers together in front of me and revealed to him, "The rest of my blind dates."

Daniel's mouth hung ajar for a moment and gave me a look of concern when he asked, "Were they racist?"

"They might as well have been. Every time I meet a guy outside my race, mainly white or Asian, they'd tell me they don't like me because I'm black right before they'd try to make themselves look like less of a bigot by saying, 'But I'm not racist.' I just don't know if I could handle another jerk. That's why I was getting defensive earlier. Sorry about that."

"And I'm sorry for what happened to you before you met me. If white guys or Asian guys reject you because of your race, they aren't worth having. You're a beautiful woman. Plus, I'm a combination of both white and Asian, so you're good."

"I've always liked Eurasian men, so you have no idea how happy I am right now." I brushed a happy tear that trailed down my cheek with my index finger. Seeing this, Daniel leaned on and gave me a kiss on the forehead and embraced me while more tears fell. Who knew that the one of the very men I dreamed about would be the one to seal my broken heart? "You're so sweet."

Daniel pulled back and smiled while he looked deep into my eyes. "This is the best night I've had in a while. I've been so busy with work that I've never really had much time to go out, so I thank you."

"I can say the same for you, too. Thank you so much." I peered down at my watch and noticed it was getting late. Although I didn't want this night to end, I had no choice. "I have to get going. I hope we get to do this again sometime."

"Good night, Kate." Daniel gave me a hug, and I planted a kiss on his cheek before we parted.

"See you around." When I went to my car and got in the driver's seat, I whooped and hollered with joy, not caring about the people looking at me as if I completely lost my mind. I've never been so happy after a blind date in such a long time. Daniel is so funny and sweet. I can't say that about too many of the other guys Amy set me up with. The next time I see her, I'm gonna squeeze her so tight to the point where she has a hard time breathing because I'm just that happy. I totally owe her one.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Finally done with this story. Sorry for slacking off so much guys. I just had a lot to do, and so I never really had much time to do the story.

Thanks for all you new subscribers, and please check out my other story, 8 Weeks.

Thank you so much! ♥