What Is Your Problem?

Black and Gold

"What is your problem?" I griped to these black guys harassing me in the food court at the mall.

"Our problem is that you a sellout," the light-skinned one commented. "Why you gotta get a Asian dude? You think you too good to have a brother?"

"It's brothers like you that make me leery of the rest of you. And what makes you think you have the right to judge me for dating outside my race? Didn't I see you holding hands with a white girl?"

"Is that true, Daquan?" the taller, dark-skinned one with dreadlocks asked.

"I ain't datin' her, man. She was just a one-night stand. Not even the prettiest white girl could ever get me to date her because nothing can compare to girls who look like me. Brown. Black. Yellow. Sweet as chocolate."

"Nonetheless, you can't be judging me, okay?"

"What he said is da truth," the darker one defended. "Black women are y, so it makes us a little pissed when some white dude or Asian dude come along and take our women. He wouldn't be able to handle you the way we can, anyway."

"How would you know how he could handle me? Just because he's Asian doesn't mean he can't handle me. It's 2014, not 1914. Get over it." I got up from the table and took my purse with me after I've had enough of them. Those two back there weren't the only black men to harass me for dating Yonghwa, and they certainly won't be the last.

Black people would look at me up and down as if I were lower than they were every time they see me holding hands with Yonghwa. Whenever he leaves, black see it as an open opportunity to chew me out. When I saw Yonghwa, I reached out and held his hand.

"Let me guess: More black guys were bothering you while I was gone?" he asked even though he knew the answer.

I nodded my head yes in response.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, Asian girls are just as bad. They kept saying I'll "taint my bloodline" or my parents would "disown me if they knew about our relatioship," not knowing they already know about you and love you."

"And my parents love you. At least my mom does; it took a while for my dad to get used to you, but he's coming around. What do you say to some PDA to intensify their anger?"

"That's what I was hoping you'd say." Whenever black people would pass by and give us dirty looks, Yonghwa would lean over and kiss my forehead, which made them even more jealous just as I predicted. "You were right. They are angrier."

"See? It works every time."

"When I first started dating you, Jaylyn, I automatically knew some people wouldn't accept it as quickly as my parents had. Our first date at te sushi bar just proved me right. We got a lot of looks and side glances."

"I know, right? All of your Asian girls get to take all of our black men..."

"But when black women try to take us from our Asian girls..."

"All hell breaks loose," Yonghwa and I finished in unison, shaking our heads afterwards.

"I guess it's unusual for black women to date outside our race," I said. "Especially when it's not with a white man. They don't get that many stares. I also noticed that it's what's mainly portrayed in the media. Black women with white men is fine, the rest are taboo mixes."

"Not all movies are like that. I loved Joyful Noise. Yeah, it had a black girl and a white guy together in it, but it also had a black woman with Asian men, even though one of them ended up dying after a one-night stand because he had high blood pressure."

I chuckled remembering that part in the movie. "That woman seemed to have been an Asian-guy magnet. When one Asian man died, another one came along to sweep her off her feet."

"Well, I guess you can relate to her because it seems your a magnet, too, for Asian men. I saw that guy at the Eastern Market checking you out."

"What guy are you talking about?"

"The Taiwanese guy who was selling those Chinese coconut buns."

I gave him a confused look. I still didn't know who he was talking about.

"The guy with the shaggy black hair."

"Oh, nice description, babe. You helped me narrow it down to every single guy in the market. I mean, after aeons of having the same hair color, you'd think you guys would try to do something different with it by now. Why don't you?"

"Because it's the only thing we have for other races to covet," Yonghwa joked. "That along with our y, almond-shaped eyes and high cheekbones."

"Well, I do like the eyes and the cheekbones." I kissed his prominent cheekbones and traced the shape of his eyes with my index fingers.

"But I'm talking about the Taiwanese guy who had a snapback that read DOPE and a white t-shirt with this dead geisha design."

"Oh, that one. It took me a while to figure out who you were talking about."

"Yeah, that guy. He kept sneaking glances at you while you were buying some buns from him."

"Oh, honey. There's nothing for you to be jealous about. I only have eyes for you. Never forget that."

His muscular arms wrapped me up in a warm embrace. I looked deep into his eyes, and he was about to lean in and kiss me when I heard someone their teeth in disgust.

I turned around to see those same punks who were bothering me earlier. They were shaking their heads, and this time they had pretty, scantily clad black women with them.

"You see, sister?" the one with the dreads asked. "This is how it's supposed to be. You supposed to be with yo' own, not wit' him." After he said that, some people were looking in our direction to see what was going to happen.

"Just mind your own business and leave us alone," Yonghwa warned them.

"Was anyone talking to you, Chinatown? Why don't you go mind yo' business and eat some rice or somethin'?"

"I'm not Chinese, actually. I'm Korean."

Did I ask you that, Bruce Lee?" Dreads walked towards Yonghwa and got in his face. "I suggest you get yo' hands off her, get up, and go find a Chinese girl to put yo' hands on before you get hurt."

"I'm not going anywhere. And I just said I wasn't Chinese, I'm Korean. I suggest you go on with your buddy and take your chickenheads before you get hurt."

"What you said to me, Chong?" Dreads shoved Yonghwa, which was the biggest mistake he could've ever made. More people were watching on.

"You've never should've done that, bro." Yonghwa punched Dreads in the stomach and in the face and judo flipped him to the floor, leaving him with a bloody nose.

Angered by this, Daquan decided it was a good idea to shove my boyfriend, too, and shouted, "I know you didn't just karate flipped my boy, Jackie Chan!"

Yonghwa butterfly kicked Daquan, the impact of the kick making him join his buddy on the floor with a black eye. "The next time I see you two, and I come here with Jaylyn, you'd better not say a word to us nor will you mess with her whenever I'm separated from her, or any other friends you goons could have better not do the same. Because if you do, you think I beat you down bad now, you haven't even begun to see what I'm capable of."

The scantily clad girls attended to them while Yonghwa took my hand into his ad we both left the food court, with the applauding crowd parting our way.

_______________________________________________________________________________

This is the only story I've finished in this collection, I know. The reason is because the content in the first one is Mature, and I was in a place where I could get in serious trouble if I finished typing it there. I will finish it whenever I'm out of their reach.

In the meantime, how am I doing so far? Can you relate to this situation. A friend of mine went through a similar ordeal, so she's basically my inspiration for this story, and I thank her. People have also told me they went through bigotry whenever they went out in public with parnters who are of a different race as well as disapproval from people of their own race when I told them I was writing this story. I hope they get a chance to read this.

The reason I wrote this story is to help bring to light the judgement people in the blasian and AM/BW community face as well as encourage them and flip a mirror on those people.

Thank you for reading this story, and I hope you can find the time to check out my other story: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/806714/8-weeks-betrayal-ambw-vacation-bap-lovetriangles-love.

The inspiration to my title is a song by Sam Sparro's "Black and Gold." Here's a link down below to get it on mp3:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/rYrRlHAp/sam_sparro_-_black_and_gold.html?locale=en

Thanks for reading my story! ☺♥