Just Right

Black and Gold

This is the fifth store I've been to today, but I've still had no luck with finding a pair of pants that fit me. The reasons for that are a) I'm here in Taiwan and b) I've got a little more to me to love. Okay, maybe a "little" more is a bit of an understatement, but I can promise you I'm DEFINITELY not fat by any means. At least in America, anyway. Not so much here, though.

Let me start off by describing what I look like so you can get a sense of what I'm going through. The name's Grace Challenger, and I'm pretty tall. standing at 5'10". My measurements are 48DD-38-49. I'm an American size 14, and even back in New Jersey I've had a hard time trying to find a pair of pants that didn't stop at my knees. So coming here trying to find pants to wear in a country where the greatest majority of the women are average height and slender? Only divine intervention would ever allow that to happen.

What really irritates me is the way people would look at me every time I file through pants. The women were especially judgmental. Right now, I'm looking at these adorable high-waisted metallic pants,


but these two women, a blonde and a naturally jet black, were staring at me as if to ask, "Can she really fit in those?"

"How about you take a picture next time?" I blurted out of frustration. "It'll last longer."

The two women scurried along at the sound of my voice with me rolling my eyes at their backs before continuing my search for pants.

Just then, I heard chuckling nearby. In the mood I'm in now, I was ready to snap at any moment. Trying to stay composed, I averted my attention to the source of the laughter. When my eyes met the laughing person, almost all he frustration I felt earlier melted away. Behind the counter was an incredibly cute guy with shades hanging from his shirt and a megawatt smile. After the man finished laughing, he noticed me staring at him. As soon as our eyes met, I quickly turned back to the pants and tried to play it off by pretending to find one my size.

"I wasn't laughing at you," the guy told me, the depth of his voice weakening my knees. "I just find it funny how they reacted at someone telling them off. Mark Tuan at your service."

"Grace Challenger," I say. "You mean they've done this type of stuff before? When?"

"Plenty of times. In fact, there was this girl last week who was a bit heavier, and she was looking through those exact same pants you're looking at now. Those two women you made run were merciless. The girl ran out of here crying, never returning since then. Poor girl."

"That's terrible! It seems as if they make it their mission to treat people like dirt."

"It's a good thing you came, though. I wish I had the courage to tell those women off last week like you did. So, I assume you need some assistance?"

I tried to refrain from looking at him as if he was stupid when I nodded. I'm tall and curvy, so I think I would need some help. 

"Well, luckily for you, Grace, we have a brand new section in the store for foreigners and plus-sized women alike. I helped petition for it, so here it is." 

"A section for foreigners?" My ears couldn't believe what I just heard. A store in Asia with a foreigners' section.

"That's right," Mark confirmed. "What's even better is this store is the first in Taipei to do so. All you have to do is ask me and I'd be more than happy to show you."

"Where is this section? Please take me, Mark!"

Mark, with a cheerful grin on his face, beckoned me to follow him behind the counter. When he opened the door, lo and behold, there were many different sizes in many different clothes. The sight was just so unbelievable and beautiful I nearly broke down in tears of relief. Mark turned to his left and faced me holding a pair of pants very similar to the ones I was looking at earlier. 

"These look like they may be in your size," he remarked. "You can go try them on in the fitting area. Those we don't have back here, unfortunately."

"That's okay," I say before darting towards the the middle of the store to find a fitting room. Eager, I immediately slipped out of my current jeans and replaced them with the metallic pants. I was in awe of how easily I could put them on without the usual jumping up and down or laying back. Plus, when I looked in the mirror, I noticed how they didn't gape in the back or reached to my ankles. Where has this store been all my life?

Mark knocked on the door and asked, "Are you good, Grace?"

I opened the door to show him how they fit me. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the way these pants looked on me; about half of the guys in the store, including Mark, stopped to stare at me.

"Wow, I am good!" Mark exclaimed. He kept scoping out my legs and hips. "Those fit you exactly right. Turn around so I could get a better look."

I gave him a knowing smirk. "Nice try."

"It was worth it."

"How did you know those pants would be a perfect fit for me?"

"It's a natural talent of mine. I can just tell what size a person is by looking at them long enough. I've never told anyone before except for my boss. Her exact response was, 'Well, that's a pretty erted way to do it, but keep it to yourself in the meantime. I don't want to have people complaining about a creepy man in my store. You're the only customer I've revealed this to, so let's keep this between us, okay, Grace?"

I chortled. "I kind of agree with her there, but at least that's what's getting you paid, right?"

"Yeah, it is! I get to check out women all day long and get paid a handsome salary for it."

"Well, looks like you've got yourself a new regular. As long as you're here, Mark, to help me look for pants, let your eyes wonder to wherever you please. Just not too much, though."

Mark bit his bottom lip and nodded. "Will that be all you need help looking for?"

"That's it." I went back into the fitting room to change back into my jeans. I grabbed the metallic pants and followed Mark to the counter to pay for them.

"These look really good on you," Mark commented. "The silver just really pops against your skin tone. Like I said, these fit you just right."

"Well, I'm glad something did for a change," I sighed. "It's just so exhausting to find something cute to wear when you're this tall and this endowed."

"Think of it this way: The things that couldn't fit you never had the ability to handle your iness." Mark winked at me before smirking, making it all the more difficult to not melt to the floor. "Come back soon."

I blushed while I gingerly grabbed the bag and headed out the door. I will definitely be going back to this store soon. For pants, of course.

___________________________________________

Thanks for reading!!