Change of Heart

Black and Gold

The most extraordinary thing happened to me today: I saw my childhood friend again! Not only that, but he;s also an idol now! I couldn't believe it when I first saw Chanyeol in his band, Exo's. video in my suggestion list. Just as everyone else, I was about to skip over them when I did a double take. I thought I saw him in the thumbnail, so I clicked on the video to be sure. I got in the song to the point where I forgot what I was doing until Chanyeol's rap came up. I was in awe of how much he improved and how much he improved and how good-looking he became. His voice dropped tremendously, too.

You see, he first arrived back in Minnesota during my freshman year in a mainly white private school. Before Chanyeol, I was pretty much alienated from everyone else because not only am I half black (due to a father I never met), but I also happen to be alternative. Kids would give me grief all the time for my colored hair and the music I listen to. Even the other alternative kids kept their distance, I'm pretty certain it's because of my skin.

The day I met Chanyeol change my life forever. While I was still the only black student in my classes, no longer was I the only person of color. What made it even more interesting is he also had bright and crazy hair like me. Plus, being the outgoing person he's also been, Chanyeol would always make an effort to make small talk with me. However, I, being so used to isolation, didn't know how to take his kindness. As a result, I responded with sarcasm so I could push him away.  I did and said everything under the sun, including making fun of his ears one time. After realizing how much I hurt him, I apologized and made up with him. 

The more our friendship blossomed, the deeper my feelings for Chanyeol became. Unfortunately, he left in the middle of senior year before I got a chance to confess. When Chanyeol returned to Korea, it felt as if he took a part of me with him.

"I'm going to pursue my dream of becoming a rapper," he said, but no one thought he could do it because he's Korean. Man, if only they could see him now.

I felt a sense of pride for my old friend/high school crush. I admired how amazing his hair looked in red. I felt my heartbeat quicken its pace. Curious to know more about Exo, I paused the video and conducted some research. What caught my attention is a list of dates to their upcoming tour, and Los Angeles happened to be one of the cities they're visiting! Hoping to be reunited with Chanyeol, I immediately booked front row tickets along with VIP backstage passes. It may seem totally stupid because of how much it cost, but who cares???

 

The day Chanyeol would come with his band is finally here! I'm so excited! Online and bought this y black dress.

I brought my sign with me and held it close to me as I practically ran to the front of the stage to find my center seat. I took the rubber band off the poster to see if it needed more details.

"Chanyeol and Amy: Best Friends Forever," someone behind me read. When I turned to see who it was, a ginger wearing a tight blue tube dress stood before me. "How did you get all those pictures? Photoshop?"

"Chanyeol and I went to the same private school back in Minnesota," I replied, "and these photo are actually real."

"Oh really? He never mentioned being in Minnesota, so how do I know you're not lying?" She looked me up and down.

"You don't have to believe me. Chanyeol and I both know the truth."

"Whatever, Punky Brewster. By the way, I don't know what you got all dolled up for. If you really think he'd show any interest in some aly chick, and  a black one at that. You're sorely mistaken." While the ginger walked away after she flipped her hair, leaving me yearning to grad her by the hair, the lights suddenly turned off. Soon after, the stage lights were on and all the other girls around me jumped up and down and screamed. 

Just then, the spotlight shone on Exo, making the fans scream even louder. When I saw Chanyeol, I immediately stood up and held up my poster, screaming out his name. My friend, his red hair glistening under the light, was standing right in front of my section. I sued this as an opportunity to hold the sign up even higher and shouted his name louder. 

Finally getting Chanyeol's attention, he stared long and hard at both me and my sign, causing my heart to stop. Around the same time, his rap came up. He stood there staring into my soul the whole time. When he finished, the choreography required him to step back, but he still smiled and glanced at me every chance he got. This pattern of staring and smiling continued until the end. That was when security came and got all of us who had VIP passes. As I rolled up my [poster, I spotted the same ginger chick who was giving me a hard time. She didn't have a pass, so she was forced to leave. I held mine up with a knowing smirk

"Do you believe me now?" I asked, knowing full well she saw everything that happened. The look on her face was priceless.I waited until all the other fans went backstage before I followed the line. That way I would get to spend more time with the band.

Almost at the same time we came in, Exo arrived from their dressing room, Chanyeol being the third oe out. My eyes immediately found his, resulting in exchanged smiles between the both of us. The next thing I knew, he approached me, paying the rest of the fans no mind. My heart was palpitating and my throat went dry.

"Hello, Amy," he said. "Long time no see. You're looking good."