33 Two Knights

"Mr" Right

For the next few months, it was about the same routine everyday. I would wake up and get prepared for work, walk to the busstop and would meet Kai there. 

But it wasn't anything like those chatty meetups - it was rather like a smile and we do our own stuff, be it listening to music or talking on the phone.

And sometimes, Kai would pay for my bus fare, and initially, i would insist on paying back, but as time goes by and Kai keeps on refusing my money, i have forced myself to let it go and acccept the gesture. 

But for these few months, i kept on wondering why was Kai so.. cold and distant from me? In the past, we would chat and laugh together about anything and everything under the sun, but now, we rarely meet up with each other for a chat-up. 

Occasionally, i would catch Kai glancing at me on the bus, but when i turn to look at him, he swiftly turned away, as if avoiding my eye contact. And many of the times, i wanted to ask Kai why was he giving me the idea that he was avoiding me, but i decided that i thought too much. 

Finally, one day, as usual, we met at the busstop, and he gave me the usual cold look before looking away at his phone, and that was it, i had to ask. 

I removed my earpiece and, "Ahem." I cleared my throat, in an attempt to get his attention. 

But Kai's attention was still on his phone screen, he seems to be looking (or staring) at a picture or something. 

So i tried again, "Ahem." I did it louder this time. 

"Oh." Kai said as he finally looked up from his screen and at me. 

"Oh? Oh is all you can say now?" I asked. 

Kai didn't reply as he looked at me very confused. 

I shook my head and waved my hands to dismiss him, and said, "It's ok, gosh i regret starting this conversation.. If this is even one.." 

I was expecting Kai to grab my arm and not make me left him hanging, but to my surprise, Kai just shrugged and looked straight ahead. 

Shocked, i grabbed his arms and turned him so that he was looking at me in the eyes, and i finally asked the question.

"Kai, why are you so different to me? You used to be.. to be more.. more warm? What happened?" I asked, looking for answers in his eyes. 

But instead, i only saw a pair of dark brown eyes looking back with no emotions. Where did the Kai i know go?

"You want me to act all smiley at you?" Kai finally said, after a long while of silence.

"No, i meant.. Yes if you put it that way?" I frowned slightly at his words that seems to catch me off guard. 

"You know what Annie? I can't." Kai said bluntly. 

I thought it heard his words wrongly, as i stood there with my mouth slightly ajar. 

"I can't. You are the women i love. Even now. And now that you are almost dating one of my best friend, i just.. i just can't make myself all smiley at you again." Kai said, and at that moment, i think i saw his eyes tear up slightly. 

He then turned away and looked straight ahead. He continued, "You know what am i looking at every morning while waiting for the bus?" 

I looked up at him, not knowing what to reply. 

"You." He whispered and looked back at me, this time, his eyes were full of emotions that i couldn't make out. 

"I take a picture of you standing at the busstop waiting every morning as i was at the traffic light. And everytime, i wished you were waiting for me instead of the bus. But you and i both know that that is not going to happen." He explained. 

For a moment, i thought Kai was a real stalker, but the next second, i found his gestures rather sweet.

I didn't know what to say or reply or do, and the bus came. 

"I.. uhm.. will get on the bus first." I said in a soft voice and turned to board the bus first. 

Kai followed behind me silently and we stood side by side like every morning on the bus. 

During the bus journey, i was thinking through what Kai said, about the part where i was waiting for the bus and not him. 

And i had to admit, as time went by, i was actually looking forward to seeing Kai every morning before work. It was a feeling for more than a friend. 

The bus ride was surprising short from the extremely smooth traffic today. I was thankful for that as things were getting a little awkward on the bus, especially after a few times where i almost lost my balance and had leaned slightly onto Kai. 

After alighting from the bus, and before Kai went too far ahead of me, i found myself saying, "I was also waiting for you.." softly to his back. When he didn't turn, i thought i didn't want to say it to him because it made me feel all shy with him, like how we first dated. And i silently shook my head, thinking that he didn't hear it, and walked slowly towards my office. 

But little did i know, Kai heard my words. 

His eyes lit up for a moment as he heard those words from your mouth. It was almost inaudible, but his ears managed to catch it. He found himself smilling a little as his heart did a little happy skip. So she still thinks about me.. And he walked quickly ahead, to hide his growing excitement and happiness.

 

A/N: Hi guys! It's the last day of 2014! How was this year for you guys? For me, it has been a roller coaster ride as i had my major exam that pretty much determines my future in university, broke up with my best friend and many more things. I hope it was fine for you guys! Let's all wish for a better, safer, healthier and a more fun-filled 2015 coming our way soon! It's currently 7.52pm here in Singapore. Have a nice evening everyone. Lastly, Happy New Year!