Hustle and Grind

Seeds and Petals (Rewriting/Under Reconstruction)

Petals of Success

Ch.4: Hustle and Grind

“Nini, it’s time to wake up~!” Logan said softly knocking on the door to her older cousin’s room. It was around 8am and Nadia still wasn’t up. They had to be out the door by, at the latest, 9:30. Since Nadia takes forever and a day to get ready and she herself was all set and ready to go, Logan thought she should help her beloved cousin with her early start. Logan walked over to the bed and gently shook the girl by the arm. “Nadia, wakey-wakey~!” she singsonged. Nadia groaned and roughly shoved her hand away before turning on her side to snuggle even further under her blanket. Oh no she didn’t. Logan sighed before doing some quiet yet deep inhales and exhales. It would’ve been best if Nadia just woke up, especially when her cousin was an opera enthusiast with six years of training and a range that was nothing to sneeze at. Oh, she gone learn today, though. “Wake up~!” Logan sang, using close to the highest note in her range, right in Nadia’s ear causing the dancer to roll out of bed, slamming onto the floor with a loud thud.

“Ow.” was all Nadia could say.

“Oh, glad you’re up.” Logan giggled.

“You !” Nadia glared pointedly. “Why do you use your operatic powers for evil, Lo?!”

“You forced this upon yourself, my dear.” Logan added before clapping her hands together and rocking side to side. “First day of work~! First day of work~!” she sang.

“Ugh!”

“We goin’ back to work, aye~! We movin’ on up, aye~!” Logan added changing her rhythm to a more urban vibe, doing some beatboxing and classic dance moves such as the “snake” and “Harlem shake” to name a few. “Get money, what, what~! Employment, oh oh~! Employment, ah ah~!” she added continuing her very off-beat, morning single while incorporating some Rick Ross in the mix.

Nadia chortled. “Oh my God.” she said and Logan chuckled.

“I made breakfast so hurry up and get dressed.”

“Why didn’t you just start with that?!” Nadia asked jumping up from her lying position on the floor. “Would’ve made this process a lot easier!” she added as she ran into the bathroom.  Logan rolled her eyes before she left Nadia’s room. She skipped down the stairs and headed to the kitchen but spun around on her heel once she heard a knock on the door. Logan jogged over and opened the door. The composer saw a cute, petite (even shorter than her) Korean girl wearing some of the latest trends while holding a notepad and a messenger bag staring at her, eyes and mouth held wide open. “Umm, hello. How can I help you?” she asked kindly. Logan didn’t expect the girl to squeal suddenly nor did she expect to be crushed into a hug.

“I can’t believe I finally get to meet you, eonni!” the girl exclaimed. “You look just like your mom, so elegant!”

“Umm, thank you.” Logan said awkwardly patting the girl’s shoulder. “How do you know my mom?”

“Oh! I’m sorry! I got a little too excited but allow me to introduce myself.” she said pulling away from Logan before bowing formally. “I’m Park Yeonji and I’m 19 years old, well, in Korean age that is! I’m a first year full-time college student at Seoul National University and I’ve been assigned to be your new intern!”

“Well, it’s really nice to meet you, Yeonji.” Logan smiled. “But, uh, intern?”

Yeonji nodded earnestly. “Yes, your mom gave me this position after she took me under RM’s tutelage earlier this year. She said I could learn a lot by being with you. I’m so excited! I read all your blogs, watch all your videos, and follow your amazing career!” Yeonji squealed before holding up her notepad. “I remember hearing you like drinking lattes in the morning; do you like mocha or caramel better? Or do you switch it up and drink Americano? Or maybe Expresso? Would you like me to go to a foreign establishment to pick it, like Starbucks, or will a local café suffice? How many crème and sugars do you like? Are you a fan of bagels or-”

 “Oh my gosh, Yeonji! Calm it down a notch.” Logan said, very overwhelmed. “You talk really fast.”

“I’m sorry! I just want to be the best intern you’ve ever had.” Yeonji cried as she covered her eyes and Logan chuckled before placing a kind hand on her shoulder.

“It’s okay, I’m sure you’ll do fine. I’ve never had an intern before so I don’t have a comparison.” Logan assured. “This will be a learning experience for both of us.”

“Logan!” both girls heard Nadia call from inside the penthouse. “Miko said she would be stopping by to pick me up so we can go to SM together. You can go ahead if you want!”

“Okay! Your breakfast is in the oven!” Logan yelled as she went to go retrieve her black purse from the couch and walked back over to Yeonji. “Well Miss Yeonji, let’s head out.”

“Was that Nadia?! Ah!” Yeonji squealed while Logan chuckled as they headed to the elevator. “I heard this is one of the SM dorm buildings so there must be some SM artist who stay here.” Yeonji deduced while they were riding down the elevator. “I hope it’s not Exo. I don’t want to cry, even though I wore my waterproof mascara today.”

“Why would you cry?” Logan asked the younger girl while laughing slightly.

“Because they are all so beautiful and angelic, I’m just not ready for my feels to erupt. I have to prepare myself for the YG artists.”

Logan laughed out loud. “Well Yeonji, I’m sorry to break it to you but-“ she paused mid-sentence because of the elevator stopping at the tenth floor. The doors slid open to reveal four of the boys that Yeonji feared, specifically the tallest members in the group, the twin towers and the maknae line. “Good morning.” she greeted.

“Ah, Logan-ssi! Good morning!” Chanyeol said bowing as he entered the elevator followed by Kris, Tao, and Sehun, the latter of which Logan hadn’t met yet. The other three giants bowed to her in greeting.

“You know you don’t have to be super formal with me because in a few weeks I will start calling everyone by cute little nicknames. I promise you.” Logan informed. “And you’re older than me so shouldn’t I be calling you Chanyeol-oppa?”

“Ah!” Chanyeol squealed slightly at the fact that she called him “oppa”. Kris poked and teased the younger giant who was in his own realm of delight.

“So can I call you noona?” Sehun asked.

“Of course.” Logan smiled and Sehun returned it before he noticed the frozen Korean girl staring at them with wide eyes, mouth covered by her notepad.

“Who’s that?”

Logan looked beside her and wrapped an arm around the girl’s shoulder. “This is Park Yeonji and she’s my first ever intern. She’s kind of a big fan of Exo which is why I believe she is so quiet. She literally talked my head off not even ten minutes ago.”

“Really? Who’s your favorite member?” Kris asked staring straight into the Yeonji’s eyes which made her blushed. Yeonji became even more flustered and squealed a little once the other Exo members stared.

“You guys are scaring her!” Logan exclaimed stepping in front of Yeonji protectively. “I just got this intern, don’t break her! Plus she’s possibly one of the last few humans on the planet to be shorter than me!” she added and the tall males snickered at her even Yeonji let out a small giggle.

“Logan.” Tao called out, gaining the girl’s attention. “I watched your videos and you are really talented when it comes to music!”

Logan chuckled. “Well, thank you.”

“I told everyone that!” Chanyeol boasted. “You have the gift to play every instrument!”

“What are you going on about?! I can’t play every instrument!” Logan exclaimed. “I’ve only shown that I can play the guitar, violin, drums, piano, and harmonica in my videos.”

“Those are the only ones that matter!”

“That’s so rude. I hope you get jumped by an army of saxophones and tubas.” she muttered under her breath.

“My favorite video was when you made a beat using nothing but an old warehouse, the debris, and your shoes. That was amazing!” Tao further congratulated. A few months ago, Logan went to an old abandoned warehouse in Detroit and filmed a jam session using whatever was in the vicinity. It was really popular on her YouTube channel, gaining up to 11 million views and counting.

“Again, thank you very much.” Logan replied just as the elevator stopped and the doors swung open. The guys let her and Yeonji step out before them, ladies first after all, and she noticed something in the lobby. “Wow, my mom plays no games but then again that’s to be expected.”

“What happened?” Kris asked.

“There are bodyguards all over the lobby and possibly living in some of the rooms as well.” Logan explained to the leader, nodding slightly in a direction. “On the couch, by the wall, working at the front desk, all are a few of the bodyguards under RM. My mom must’ve become aware of the Sasaengs who try to enter. Also walking through airports and rides on airplanes won’t be as bad anymore so you won’t have to act as the tall human shield.”

“Wow, new boss people really are looking out.” Kris said with an approving nod.

“I wonder what they’ll do about the phone calls.” Yeonji asked out loud earning the attention of the others which caused her to blush. “I-I’ve just heard about the instances where they would find numbers and call leaving disturbing messages. I did a psychology project on it for my mid-term assignment.” she said laughing nervously.

“Ooh, I wanna read when you get it back.” Logan replied and it brought a smile to Yeonji’s face. She liked reading books, published articles, and research, non-fiction and fiction. She got it from her dad while her mom was rarely ever a voluntary book reader. “But, if I know anything about how RM operates, I think they’re already working on it.”

“That would be the best thing ever!” Tao sighed.

“Yeah, I know there’s a price for fame but this goes a little too far.” Kris added.

“A little?!” Logan exclaimed, incredulously. That was a major understatement! “I could go on and on about how crazy and alarming it is to get random calls from people who only breathe on the other end!”

“But you would have to have this rant later on. Eonni, if we don’t leave now you’ll be late for your first day back at work.” Yeonji announced.

“Oh, right!” Logan gasped. “We’ll talk to you guys later! Don’t work too hard!” she said before her and Yeonji scurried off to their car.

“Bye, noona!” Sehun waved, cheerfully.

Bye, noona!” Chanyeol mocked. “Could you be more pathetic?”

“Oh, I’m pathetic?” Sehun asked. “Oh, Logan-ssi, oh call me oppa, oh I’m a peasant, ohohoho!” the maknae mocked, making his voice higher and more girlish. Chanyeol hit the maknae’s shoulder.

“Yah! My voice isn’t even high and don’t make fun of your hyung!”

“You started it, Yoda!”

“Y-Yoda?! I am not Yoda!”

“I can’t. I cannot.” Kris grumbled, running his hand down his face. Tao chuckled at him. “It’s too early to be dealing with stupid.”

“Quiet, hands!” the two exclaimed at the Chinese leader before continue their argument. Kris groaned before walking away, not up to arguing with the two, Tao following after him trying not to laugh really loud.

~~~~~~~~~~

Cece stared out the window of the moving car. Watching all the buildings and people pass by was particularly interesting to her. It was kind of weird and fascinating in a sense. Coming from the places as diverse as Puerto Rico and America, it was so different seeing the mass of people have such consistency in appearance but within the consistency was a whole culture waiting to be explored. Despite her knowledge of the language and what she researched, it was so different from actually being in the country. She was excited. She couldn’t wait to explore, when she isn’t working that is.

She looked to her side and saw Talia tapping away on the company IPad. She was most likely checking over the current schedules of SM artists, organizing and erasing if proven necessary. It was funny how she was off to start her job doing practically the same thing. Gotta keep it in the family, she supposed. “Tia is there anything else you can tell me about Jellyfish Entertainment?” she asked.

“Anxious, huh?” Talia chuckled. “From what I know, Jellyfish is a relatively small company that uses RM for financial guidance and money management. Siva comes here more than any of us so you’ll have atleast one already familiar face.” Talia stated. “There’s also a rookie intern to watch over. She’s from the Netherlands and is a cute kid, about the same age as you. You could be her guidance as senior intern, her sunbae if you will.” Talia added. “Her name is Milan Inoni.”

“Duly noted.” Cece nodded before turning back to look out the car window. “Ah, we’re here!” she exclaimed as the car drove up the narrow street and pulled up right in front of the building. The logo wasn’t hard to miss and the building was a decent size, bigger than what she expected. The car doors were opened and Talia and Cece walked to the front entrance. They passed through the entrance of the ground floor and were met by a woman who bowed once she saw them.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Talia-ssi.” she smiled before turning to Cece. “And you must be Talia-ssi’s niece, Cecilia-ssi. It’s so nice to meet you. I’m Kim Jihae, one of the event coordinators for our artists.”

“It’s nice to meet you as well.” Cece replied with a slight bow and smile of her own. Jihae then turned her attention back to Talia.

“Sajangnim is waiting to speak with you, Talia-ssi.”

Talia nodded. “Very well.”

“Cecilia-ssi, there’s a waiting area just down the hall. You can wait there with the other intern, Milan-ssi.” Jihae informed. “We’ll be out in no time.”

“Okay.” Cece replied as the two older women went into the room as she ventured down the hall. She spotted a space with a lounge area which she presumed to be the waiting area. Inside, Cece spotted a pretty girl with soft tan skin and dark eyes and hair, both dressed and sitting very elegantly in one of the chairs, looking directly at her. She started to feel kind of under dressed. “Hello.”

“Oh, hello! Wow you are gorgeous. Are you the other intern I was told about?” the girl asked, a distinct accent in her English.

“I guess that would be me. My name’s Cecilia Jauregui but you can call me Cece, everyone does.” Cece introduced holding out her hand to the girl whom shook it in return.

“I’m Milan Inoni, it’s nice to meet you.” she smiled. “How old are you and where are you from?”

“Well, I just turned 20 some months ago and I was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico but raised in Manhattan, New York since I was 6 so I have dual citizenship as an American and Puerto Rican.” Cece answered sitting next to the girl. “What about you?”

“Oh, we’re both ‘92liners though I don’t turn 20 until December. I’m from Amsterdam but I’m a military brat so my family has moved around a lot. I’ve pretty much been raised everywhere until I got a full ride to SNU a few years ago thanks to me being accepted into RM. It was truly God sent. My little sister also has an intern position.” Milan smiled. “How did you get an internship?”

“My aunt is Talia Lopez, so her little sweet talking with Hadya and my work ethic helped me get the position.” Cece explained and Milan’s mouthed an “oh” before nodding in understanding. “It’s good to know I have atleast one other foreigner to feel comfortable around.”

Milan smiled. “Me too!” she exclaimed before gasping slightly. Cece raised an eyebrow at the Dutch intern before Milan gently turned her towards the entrance they used which also had glass doors. Cece’s mouth dropped slightly. Standing about five meters outside of the waiting room was VIXX, the VIXX! The two just stared at the six artists in shock before one of them turned around, one with dark hair and a very prominent nose. Milan grabbed Cece’s hand because she couldn’t believe Lee Jaehwan, Ken the co-main vocal of VIXX, was staring at them. He then did something else. He freaking waved like the cutie that he is. The two interns waved back before turning to giggle at each other.

“I can’t believe he just waved.” Cece announced.

“I know! That’s very friendly of him.” Milan replied. “I think we’ll be able to be friends with him since we’re all the same age.” Cece nodded in agreement before looking at VIXX from the corner of her eye and finding out that they were all staring at them curiously. It was kind of nerve wrecking but before she could dwell on that, Jihae and Talia walked in front of the door. The two immediately stood up when a middle-aged man made his appearance.

“Ah, Milan-ah and Cecelia-yah, it’s so nice to meet you. I’m Hwang Sejun, the CEO of Jellyfish Entertainment.” he introduced. “I’ve heard great things about you two.”

“It’s nice to meet you as well, Sajangnim.” Milan said as she, followed by Cece, shook the man’s hand while bowing respectfully.

“We’ll try our best to not disappoint your expectations.” Cece added.

“That’s great to hear!” he exclaimed before turning to the group of six young men. “I’d like you two to meet Jellyfish Entertainment’s resident boy group, VIXX. You’ll mainly be working with them.” the six males bowed politely towards them.

“It’s a pleasure to be working with you!” the two interns smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~

About fifteen minutes later, Miko finally drove up to the apartment complex to pick up Nadia, both fully dressed and ready to start the day. Nadia couldn’t stop staring at Miko’s bag.

“I can’t believe you, Miko Lang, the great hater of all things pale and frilly, is sporting a very pink purse.” she chuckled.

“I know right! I’ve completely lost my mind!” the lyricist agreed. “But I’m kind of missing my mom right now. That might be one of the most disgusting shades of pink ever but it’s her favorite color. She’s messing with my morals.” Miko added with a sigh. Juanita Suarez was one of Miko’s weaknesses. Her mom was a strict parental figure and every bit of a hard Latina but she was the biggest cheerleader towards her and her older brother, Shun. She is an entrepreneur who worked on her own jewelry line which was very popular around the world. She often traveled, mainly to Spain and France for business showcasing, so Miko didn’t see her as much, possibly even more so with her being in Korea. “I think I’m going to Skype with her later on.”

“That sounds like a good idea. I think I’ll do the same.” Nadia agreed. Her aunt Hadya wasn’t the only successful Rousseau, maybe the most but not the only. Her mother, Khadijah, was an award-winning director and writer for television and movies. She was always busy with her own thing but it wouldn’t be so bad to say hello to her. She just needed to pick the right time since the woman was currently in Hawaii filming a new movie. It shouldn’t be too much of a hassle, though. They finally pulled into the parking lot of SM and parked the car. Nadia and Miko stepped out and ventured towards the entrance, the back one to be specific. The front entrance was packed with a bunch of fangirls waiting to see some of the artists and ain’t nobody got time for that. Though there was a barricade of bodyguards who provided respectable distance between the artists and fans.

Miko and Nadia walked into the building and were immediately greeted by some of the artist, f(x), who were heading to the dance studio for practice.

“Annyeonghaseyo! We are f(x).” they all said collectively with bows. The two returned them with equal enthusiasm. Victoria then started to speak. “I’m the leader…”

“Oh, we are completely aware of you guys are. You’re Victoria or Song Qian, the leader. Then there’s the second oldest, the main rapper and L.A. Cali-girl is Amber. Next is Korea’s songbird with the overflowing bubbly personality Luna or Park Sunyoung. There’s also the visual and Korea’s giant baby, Sulli also known as Choi Jinri. And last but not least, San Francisco Cali-girl, lead vocal and baby sister of SNSD’s resident ice queen, Krystal or Jung Soojung.” Miko said, all in her best announcer voice. “You guys met me yesterday but, once again, I’m Miko Lang, your newest lyricist and this is my good friend and one of the best teenage choreographers in the world, Nadia Agni, Siva’s daughter and Hadya’s niece.”

“Woah, it’s very nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.” Nadia replied with a smile. “Did you guys have a new routine to practice?”

“No, were just going to do stretches and whatnot.” Amber answered. “The new bosses are discussing contracts and future expectations for the artists.”

“All we know is that Hadya’s having a meeting with my sister.” Krystal added.

“I feel kind of nervous.” Sunyoung admitted.

“Oh, don’t be! They’ll be completely honest with you but RM will help you reach new heights in your career. It’s a very mutualistic relationship.” Nadia assured and all the members nodded. “I think I’ll go stretch with you guys. I feel a need to dance.”

“Well come along then!” Victoria smiled and they walked into the dance studio. Miko waved them off as she walked down the hall. She passed a few artists on her way such as some of the Exo and SHINee members and bowed respectfully to them. She came up to one of the rooms, which was the recording studio. Looking inside, she spotted a man typing down something.

“Hello!” she greeted, earning the man’s attention.

“Hello, you must be Miko! I’m Jin Gohyun, a fellow lyricist.” he introduced. “Glad to have you on board.”

“Thank you.” she smiled. “What are you working on?” she asked while peering over his shoulder.

“A single for Exo’s grand comeback, it’s gonna be great.” he assured as he continued to type. Miko got a good look at the Korean lyrics.

“Eureurong, eureurong…eureurong? What?” Miko asked while staring judgingly towards the man. “I’m sorry but, umm, who told you that was a good idea?”

“Laugh now but it will be the hit song of 2013!”

“Yeah, okay, we’ll see.” Miko sighed before giggling slightly.

~~~~~~~~~~

Logan and Yeonji pulled up to the YG building with just enough time to spare. “Safe!” the older girl exclaimed as she parked her Range Rover and Yeonji giggled. The two stepped out of the vehicle and walked to the front entrance before stepping into the elevator.

“Hold it, please!” they heard a voice call out. Logan held the door open and in ran Erika, dressed ever so professionally. “Hey, boo.” the woman smiled.

Logan chuckled. “Hey, Rika. You look so nice and professional. I feel so under dressed and casual.” she joked.

“Well, I have to make a good impression. I haven’t been back in YG for over 2 years now.” Erika smiled before noticing Yeonji. “Hello, I’m Erika Pratt. Who might you be?” she greeted in Korean.

“I’m Park Yeonji, Logan-eonni’s intern.” answered the Korean girl.

“You have an intern? That’s funny, I was just assigned one as well.”

“It must be some type of intern harvest then.” Logan added and the two snickered. “So where is your intern?”

“She should be on the second floor.” Erika answered. “If I’m not mistaken, her name is Dana.”

Yeonji gasped. “Dana? As in Dana Inoni?”

“Yeah, do you know her?”

“That’s my friend. She’s Dutch and we’re both SNU freshmen that have a very similar class schedule.”

“Wow, such a small world after all.” Erika chuckled. The elevator dinged when they made it to the second floor. They spotted in the cafeteria a mixed girl with very long curly brown hair and doll like feature dressed in very similar style as Yeonji, tapping away on an IPad. She then looked up at the three and stood immediately.

“Erika! It’s so nice to meet you.” Dana greeted, shaking Erika’s hand.

“It’s nice to meet you as well, Dana.” the woman replied before they released hands. Dana then stepped over to Yeonji and the two hugged, exclaiming that they didn’t know they would be working in the same company and saying how happy they were. Oh you know, just being happy teenage girls. Soon the elevator opened up once more and revealed four people, more commonly known as 2NE1. Dara and Bom were talking animatedly to one another while Chaerin typed away on her phone and Minji listened to music. The youngest of the four looked closely at four other foreigners and ran over to them, embracing Erika in a hug.

“Eonni! You’re back!” she exclaimed and Erika chuckled.

“Yes I am.” she replied.

“Yes, I got my fashionista back!” Chaerin exclaimed upon noticing her same age buddy. The two fists bumped each other before hugging. The Park sisters joined in on the hugging before moving on to Logan to spread the affection and they quickly caught up with one another. Afterwards Logan and Erika introduced their interns who were frozen in shock from seeing Kpop royalty right in front of them. Minji went over to Logan and the two embraced.

“My baby! I missed you so much!” Logan exclaimed. “Even though it’s only been six months.” she chuckled.

“Six months is an eternity! What are you talking about?!” Minji replied and Logan chuckled before bringing out her smartphone.

“Touché! Let us take a selfie to commemorate this momentous occasion.” she exclaimed as they got close and took many different pictures full silly expressions, duck faces and just their teenage vanity being unleashed to the fullest extent. Yeonji and Dana laughed at the two before they were told to join in. The non-teenage females just stared on while shaking their heads.

“Ah, the wonders of youth!” Erika exclaimed and the others laughed. “I guess I should go and get reacquainted with my lair.”

“Reunited and it feels so good~!” Dara sang suddenly. “Reunited ‘cause we understood~!”

Bom joined in. “There’s one perfect fit. And, sugar, this one is it~!”

“We both are so excited ‘cause we’re reunited, hey, hey~!” Chaerin added, finishing the chorus of the Peaches & Herb classic. Yeonji, Dana, and Logan clapped which made Erika snort.

“You are all crazy!” she exclaimed. “I’ll see you guys later.” Erika walked to the elevator and traveled up the lift. She cheerfully hummed along to the Big Bang songs that played inside of the elevator before she reached the eighth floor. Once those doors opened, her mood completely changed. Standing in front of her was Korea’s pride, Resident fashionisto, the YG golden boy, dressed from head to toe in the latest Ralph Lauren but the most prominent attribute was his facial expression. It was as if he spotted a ghost.

“Erika.” Jiyong breathed out. “Hi.”

“Hello.” she replied.

“How are you?”

“I’m great.” she said monotonously as she walked by the rapper.

“I’ve tried to contact you. Did you get my messages?” he asked which made her pause in step.

“As a matter of fact I did receive them but I deleted them so I wouldn’t have to read them.” Erika answered calmly, looking at him from the corner of her eye. “You should know very well why I don’t bother.”

“Erika, I…”

“Save it for someone who cares. I have things to do.” Erika said as she strutted down the hall while all Jiyong could do was stare at her retreating form. “So much for a good first day.” she thought.

<3