That Night

Seeds and Petals (Rewriting/Under Reconstruction)

Petals of Success

Ch.12: That Night

“This can’t be happening!” Nadia and Miko heard Logan scream. Curiously, the two entered the room and was met with a tornado site. Clothes were strewn everywhere and she meant everywhere. She looked around for her little cousin to see her sitting in a stressed heap with her pink robe and satin bonnet on. This was so cute! Logan was finally going on her first date in three years and feeling the nerves of the evening.

“Wow. I’m not even sure my brother can create a mess this huge.” Nadia inquired as she kicked a pink blouse off to the side.

“Definitely a statement I can agree with.” Miko sighed.

“Mimi~! Nadia~!” Logan whined. “Help me!” she begged while latching on to the dancer’s leg which made Nadia laugh.

“I thought it was a simple date with just casual attire? Why are you so stressed?” Miko asked while patting the girl’s head.

“Guys, you don’t understand. There’s vintage casual, bohemian casual, sporty casual, chic casual, edgy casual, grunge casual, punk casual, winter-spring-fall-summer casual, retro-”

“Okay, okay, I get it! There are many forms of casual when it comes to fashion!” Miko sighed while pinching the bridge of her nose. She then looked around at the piles of clothes to see if she could find a quick outfit to piece together. Soon there was a series of whistles that took place and Logan began a hunt to find her cellphone, burying the lyricist and dancer under the clothes as she tossed them. “Logan!”

“I found it!” Logan exclaimed, holding the device as if it was a magical treasure. She then scrolled through it and smiled widely. “It’s Tao! He’s asking me which outfit he should wear.” They weren’t even official yet and this was the most adorable thing Nadia and Miko had heard. Cece was a psychic, she had to be, since she’s been saying this would happen since last year. The young producer looked at the outfits, one was an all black ensemble which she knew would look great on him since black was a color he rocked without a doubt, while the other was a red sweater and blue jean combo which would also look great on him. She texted him to go with the all black but it gave her the idea to go the casual chic route. “Tao’s being casual chic so I can’t let him upstage me.” she said with determination and her guests shook their head as she picked out a few pieces - a gray loose fitted shirt, black skinny jeans, and some black ankle boots - before she turned to the other people. “Okay, I’m about to change~!” Logan announced as if she was warning them.

“Girl, you act like we have never seen you in all your glory but whatever.” Nadia rolled her eyes. “We’ll be outside if you need us.” she ended as her and Miko left the room so the “princess” could get dressed. They then went to the living room and sat on the couch.

“Nadia, can I talk to you about something?” Miko sighed and the dancer looked at her.

“Of course, anything.” Nadia said giving her her full attention.

Miko paused for a second. “It’s about me and Derek.” she said slowly. “I’m not sure we’re...on the same page anymore but maybe I’m overreacting like I usually do.”

“You don’t overreact, well, not all the time.” Nadia inquired, slightly joking in tone. “But why do you feel that way?”

“Okay, we both live lives that don’t mesh up well, me with my music and him with his modelling, but we’ve always been able to work it out. Lately, whenever I talk to him it’s like he’s very...curt and closed off. Ever since the move to Korea, I just feel like he’s becoming distant towards me and going out to parties more. I know it’s not to the level of him cheating on me but something is completely off…” Miko trailed off.

Nadia nodded. “I don’t see Derek as the type to cheat on you but you guys sound like you’re having communication issues. I think he’s just used to you being in L.A or New York most of the time since most of his work is in both of those places, aside from the many international fashion weeks he goes to and his surge of work in China. It was like you guys had a system, like how you were able to visit him during his photoshoots and he would pop into the studio to see you, but then when the young RM crew moved here it threw it off balance.” the dancer analyzed.

“I understand that, honestly I do, but he still doesn’t have to be so...distant, you know?” Miko added and Nadia nodded in agreement.

“You guys just need to have a heart to heart.” the dancer advised. “Even though everyone loves Derek, if he isn’t listening and valuing what you’re saying and how you feel then why exactly would you continue to bother with something like that?” Nadia asked and Miko knew exactly what she was getting at. If Derek wasn’t going to put in 100 with this relationship, then why should she? Oh, if only stupid feelings such as “love” didn’t make things so complicated and unnecessarily hard...but something needed to be said.

“That’s gonna .” Miko sighed as she threw her head back against the couch as Nadia rubbed her shoulder, empathetically. Soon they heard footsteps rush down the stairs. The girls turned to see a fully dressed Logan with her hair in long loose waves and some light makeup on her face.

“Well, well, well, someone looks hot.” Nadia nodded.

“Makeup on point, hair is perfect, outfit is everything. Someone is definitely ready to slay this date.” Miko added.

“Whew, that’s a relief to hear.” Logan sighed before she started to fan herself. “I think I’m stress sweating. I don’t know what to do!” she added and the other two snickered.

“Logey, calm down. First date or not, this is still Tao we’re talking about.” Nadia smiled, dangling her arms on the back of the couch as she stared at her little cousin. “That’s your sassy, shady, and sweet Kung-fu panda, Qingdao homie, you’re good friend and nothing else has really changed about that.”

“The only thing you’re doing is heading towards being good friends who can kiss, snuggle, and be even more adorable together.” Miko chimed in.

“Oh my God, kissing Tao?! I don’t think I’m ready!” the musician exclaimed dramatically, hands squishing her face.

“Why do I have such a dramatic family, like seriously, why?” Nadia sighed just as a they heard a buzz at the door. Logan went over to the monitor and saw it was Tao waiting at the door.

“It's Tao, oh he looks so good~!” Logan groaned as the others laughed. She composed herself before she went to open the door, coming face to face with her date for the night. “Hey.” she greeted steadily, not wanting him to see how nervous she actually was about everything.

“Hey, are you ready to head out?” Tao asked.

“Yeah I just need to grab my coat.”

“Wait, wait, wait!” Nadia exclaimed. “Aunt Hadya said that when this moment comes I have to take a picture~!” she said while she pulled out her phone.

“You have got to be kidding me. Come on Tao!” Logan said as she dragged the chuckling panda along with her, not even putting her coat on yet,  and quickly out the door, laughter being heard before it closed behind them. They ventured towards the elevator and Logan could not help but feel the awkward tension that surrounded them as she put on her coat and entered the lift with Tao. “I guess, I’m not the only one nervous about this date, huh?” she asked suddenly and the Exo rapper turned towards her with a bugged out expression.

“H-How did you know?” he stammered slightly and Logan gave him a smile.

“Nadia told me that even with all of this, we are friends first and foremost. We’ve met and hung out plenty of times before, it shouldn’t be awkward just because of relationship possibilities, right?” Logan asked him. “At the end of the day, I’m still your BFF Logey and you’re my BFF Taozi~!” she added while gesturing between the both of them, making the Chinese male laugh.

“You’re right.” Tao nodded. “Now we just need to just shake it off and breathe a little.” The two did the shaking and breathing thing until they both snorted at what they were doing.

“We got this!” Logan exclaimed just as the elevator doors opened and the “couple” headed towards the garage to venture towards their date location.

~~~~~~~~~~

“So...you actually like to go to the movies by yourself?” Taekwoon asked, leaning against Cece’s desk as she looked at her computer screen. He had come to keep her company while she looked over the last bit of scheduling for the rest of the week since Vixx released their new MV and singles album and were now going to promote for the days to come. She then closed her laptop and packed it into its case.

“Yeah, I mean I love going with friends but, if I'm being honest, when I'm with them I tend to talk about little things and not pay full attention to the movie I paid for. When I went by myself a few times, I was actually able to focus on the film.” Cece explained as she leaned back in her chair. “I'm not against both options, honestly.”

“Can you, please, explain that to Hakyeon?” the chic main vocal sighed in exasperation while Cece looked at him with an extremely amused expression. “Whenever I go to the movies by myself, he ends up mad at me. He’s so annoying.”

Cece smiled at him. “That’s your forever best friend. Be nice!”

“No.” Taekwoon replied defiantly as Cece laughed. “He talks way too much.”

“But, go with him every once in awhile. It won’t hurt.” the girl said as she began to put on her coat. She heard him grunt in response which made her chuckle before looking back up at him.

“I’ll...consider it.” he groaned before looking at Cece. “But maybe we can go to the movies by ourselves...together?” he added shyly and Cece blinked at him, feeling the urge to stuff him into her pocket and feed him strawberry cheesecake. Aside from her bro Jaehwan, he was probably the cutest man ever. She wanted to squish him.

“I can’t believe you just asked that? You are so cute!” Cece squealed uncharacteristically with an extremely bright smile on her face as she squished his cheeks, Taekwoon pulling away feeling even more embarrassed by what he asked and equally flustered by how radiant her smile was. He was almost certain of him being as flushed as his crimson red hair. She kept trying to poke his cheeks until he trapped her hands in his. “Is this a yes or no?”

Cece snickered. “Well, duh. Whenever you get some free time, I would definitely love to go to the movies by myself...with you.” she answered with a slight chuckle. “You’re such a cute oppa~!” she announced her voice becoming a pitch higher similarly to how Wonshik’s voice changed whenever Jaehwan did something cute (or basically anything, really). Taekwoon rolled his eyes but that allowed Cece to catch him off guard so she can give him a sweet kiss on the cheek. She then smiled when he leaned in to capture her lips in a kiss, his thumbs grazing over the skin on her knuckles.

“Am I interrupting something?” asked a voice which they learned belonged to Sanna, who leaned against the glass screen. Taekwoon looked away from the Filipina, flustered at the fact that someone saw him publicly display affection. “I can always come back later or we can reschedule. Don’t let me be the one to kill the mood.” she smirked.

“No, I'm ready to go when you are!” Cece told the woman before turning back to Taekwoon. “Aww, I'm going on a date with Sanna before you. Don't be too jealous!” she assured but all it earned her was a special Vixx neck chop from the older male which made her and Sanna chuckle. The two waved to Taekwoon before they finally headed out of the building.

Cece thought it was a good idea to hang out with Sanna more outside of work. She really liked Sanna and considered her to be a really cool and reliable friend. Which is why she also had some more important information to bring up about “the situation” and convince her to change her mind, or at least consider reconsidering. She hoped it showed that she was trying to be a good friend who wanted the best for her and not some pushy colleague with an obsession of getting a higher up fired.

“You and Taekwoon are pretty adorable, that can’t be denied. The chic and elegant, dark prince of Jelpi is totally smitten by the self-proclaimed New York tomboy.” Sanna smiled while nudging her co-worker in the arm.

Cece snickered. “It’s only been 24 hours since anything started so we’ll wait and see how true that is but I’m more than optimistic.” she nodded. “Milan’s already planning our fantasy wedding in her mind, I think she’s watched more telenovelas than I have...and I grew up with a telenovela obsessed Puerto Rican family!”

“Ah, Milan and her wild imagination.” Sanna laughed. “But she should really be planning her fantasy wedding with Jaehwan, no?”

“That’s what I’ve been saying! See, Sanna, you understand.” Cece sighed and the Filipina laughed even more. The two went to Hongdae to try out Ciuri Ciuri, an authentic Italian restaurant run by native Italians, since they had the craving for it. Luckily for them, the restaurant was too busy so they were able to just walk in and sit down. Even though it was a tad bit pricey, the two women had so much food that they were sure they had to ask for some to-go boxes. But after pigging out and have a mild conversation with one another, Cece decided to start talking on a heavier topic.

“Sanna, this was a nice outing, right?” Cece asked and Sanna looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes it was.”

“So you would consider us as friends, right?”

“I’ve been considering us friends for months now.” Sanna said with a slight chuckle. “Why are you asking such strange questions.”

“I just don’t want to be at a point where I truly overstep my boundaries…” Cece trailed off before looking Sanna right in her eyes. “It’s about...Sunjin.” she said slowly and the smile on Sanna’s face disappeared so quickly, you would’ve thought it wasn’t even there to begin with.

“Cece, I-”

“I know what you’re going to say and I get it. You want to just not dwell on it and everyone has made it easier for you not being in situations but just hear me out, please.” Cece pleaded. The harassment against Sanna had ceased immensely with the major help from not only her and Milan but also some of the female staff members who were aware of Sanna’s discomfort. Everyone had her back, she just needed to truly see that. Cece dug into her bag, pulling out a slightly thick folder from it before sliding it to her co-worker. Sanna looked at it in confusion.

“What’s...all of this?” the Filipina asked slowly.

“Just look through it.” Cece told her calmly and Sanna started to sort through the various papers, her eyes widening as read every single one. They were all claims, harassment claims ranging from ual and physical, to be exact, made since 2008! “These are all in regard to Sunjin.”

“All?!” Sanna interjected.

“Yeah, all of them. If you dig a little more, you'll even see some claims from a few males in there as well.”

“Really?” Sanna asked with widened eyes.

Cece nodded. “In one instance, there was a homoual male working at Jelpi and Sunjin tormented him so much that he had to quit, even leaving Seoul and moving to Osaka.” she told the woman and Sanna looked beyond mortified and disgusted.

“Why...are you telling me all of this?” the Filipina asked slowly.

“I want you to know that you aren’t alone in this. Sunjin has victimized many people before you and I’m telling you that you will not be the last unless we do something about it.” Cece started. “Back in 2009, there was one instance of harassment where he forcefully kissed one of the female co-workers and had every intention of telling what happened to Sejun but Sunjin messed with her mind and told her she would be sorry if she did so. She, scared for her career, kept silent and quit without a warning and moved to Shanghai to work for a marketing firm but, I talked to her and she is willing to back you up if you decide to come clean about what’s happening.”

Sanna’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“Yeah, she is.” Cece nodded before she reached across the table to grab Sanna’s hand, noticing that it was shaking slightly. Her face didn’t really show it but she was terrified of going against a powerful male figure in the business world and Cece realized just how overwhelming everything was for her so she really had to turn on her friend mode to show that she was wholeheartedly on her side. “Sanna, I’m not trying to force you to say something. I’m just showing you that you have a lot of options, many that work in your favor. But as a friend...I want you to be happy. I want you to walk around freely and not on eggshells, I want you hold your head up high and not be brought down by this man.”

“Cece...” Sanna said softly.

Cece then reached across the table and placed her hand on top of Sanna's. “I want you to be free to do what you want and I don’t want you to think you have to endure this.” she added. “I’m not forcing you to say anything, that’s not what I’m doing at all. I just want you to know that I am here for you and that I hope you consider.” she ended honestly, Sanna feeling the earnest need to help in the girl’s tone. It made her kind of...happy.

“I’ll consider it.” she said lowly and Cece smiled while nodding in response, not adding anything else to the topic so she could let it all sink in to her co-worker, hoping she truly got through to her. The other times she brought it up, the response wasn’t the most willing but now, Sanna’s face showed contemplation, the contemplation that she had been yearning for since that day after the Jellyfish Holiday party.

This time she felt very optimistic.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Okay, you told me that your favorite genres are hip hop, R&B, and pop.” Logan started as she dug one hand into her coat pocket to protect it from the cold while the other clutched a large hot cocoa from Starbucks as a way to combat the night chill that she and Tao felt while strolling through the city before heading back to the car. The had finished a nice meal at a Korean barbecue joint, Logan even taking a commemorative selfie with her date to humor her ridiculous mother, before they left. She and the Exo-M maknae began quizzing each other on pretty much anything. “Who are your favorite artists?”

Tao thought for a little bit. “I like to listen to a lot of MC HotDog, Jay Chou, and Wang Leehom. For Western artist, I like Michael Jackson, Jay-Z, Eminem, and Drake.” he listed carefully before stopping, kind of nervous. I mean, he was on a date with someone who not only lived and breathed music but was also someone who had a lot of knowledge about it. To his comfort, Logan nodded in approval.

“I really approve of the Mandopop artists, those are great choices. The Western artist, though a little mainstream, are pretty good, too. It treaded the mainstream line so closely as if you were going to say your favorite hip hop song, out of all these great hip hop songs, was Thrift Shop.” Logan added with a chuckle before she pat the taller male on his shoulder. “But Zitao my boy, you have got to get hip to some old school artist like Chuck Berry and, especially, Tupac.” she then smiled at him. “You have much to learn, young panda, much to learn~!”

Tao smiled. “I guess I’m in good hands then.” he responded before, in the ease of the atmosphere, wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her to his side. Logan’s arm s around his waist as her head rested against his shoulder. “So what is your all time, all-time favorite food. The one thing you can eat for the rest of your life with no qualms?” he asked and Logan stopped suddenly, surprising him. Tao looked down but soon he started to laugh due to the face she was making.

Logan blinked. “Why would you ask such a hard question?” she answered with a question of her own. “Pass.” she said before walking ahead.

“You can’t just pass!” Tao exclaimed with smile, catching up to her and placing his arm around her shoulder once more. “Okay, favorite...animes? I know Sailor Moon is top, you have the plushies to prove it, but what other shows?”

“Now you are speaking my language~!” Logan grinned to the male. Tao didn’t expect for her to list a bunch and give a thorough explanation as to why she liked them, enough to make him want to see why she liked them when he had time. They had talked so much about it to the point that they were now back in the car and headed back to the apartment building. When they exited the car, Tao grabbed Logan’s hand as they walked towards the elevator and up to the top floor. Once they stepped out of the lift and stood in front of the door, Logan turned around and stared up at him with a big smile on her face. “I had a really fun time tonight. I kind of feel silly about being so worried now.”

“I agree!” Tao smiled. “The highlight was learning about how much of an anime nerd you are, I didn’t think you were in that deep.” he snickered.

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.” Logan pouted and Tao laughed before pulling her into a hug which she snuggled into it. They stayed like that for a little longer than physically necessary before Logan pulled back slightly so they could look at each other. Soon the two entered into another moment, staring into each other’s eyes before Tao leaned down, Logan standing on her tippy-toes before their lips made contact. The kiss wasn’t wild and passionate, more so simple and innocent but there was definitely a little spark in it. It was actually quite perfect. They pulled away shortly after, both chuckling lowly. “See you later, Tao.” she told him as she back away towards her door.

Tao nodded. “Two weeks seems like forever now.” he sighed.

“That’s why we have a thing such as a cellphone, the beauties of technology~!” Logan singsonged in mild sarcasm as she got the door open, Tao rolling his eyes slightly before she turned around once. “Good night.”

“Goodnight.” he replied before he headed back to the elevator to venture down the next three floors to his dorm. Logan hung up her coat and took her shoes off before walking into the space, finding a hungry Nadia making a sandwich in the kitchen. The dancer looked up and smiled.

“Judging by the whimsical expression and goofy smile on your face, I’m going to take it that you and Tao had fun?” Nadia questioned her little cousin.

“It was way better than that last first date monstrosity. This one was so chill and amazing.” Logan sighed as she walked towards the staircase.

“Wait, where are you going? You have to tell me everything that happened!” Nadia exclaimed.

“I’m too busy for that. I have to go think about Tao and how soft his lips are.” Logan responded and Nadia gasped.

“You two kissed?!” she exclaimed just as Logan shut her bedroom door. “Logan!” Atleast one of them was able to avoid interrogation, Tao wasn’t as lucky. As soon as he stepped into the room, s bombarded him with multiple questions. He couldn’t even make it to his room since the members were stopping him from taking any further steps.

“Did you take her to the place I told you about?” Joonmyeon asked.

“Yeah, I -” Tao started to answer but was immediately cut off.

“Was it weird going on a date with your good friend?” asked Jongdae.

“I mean-”

“How did you get Logan-ah to date you. She’s all cool while you not so much.” Chanyeol said being a little shady, causing Baekhyun and Sehun to snicker, even more so when their resident panda gave him a sassy look.

“Excuse you?!” Tao responded with a head tilt, Kris chuckling from off to the side.

“Guys, let him breathe. He’s had an eventful evening, he should relax.”

“Thank you!” Tao sighed in relief, always being able to count on his gege.

“We’ll do it when we’re in Hong Kong.” Kris added. Tao’s mouth fell as the other members laughed out.

“I hate all of you.” he sighed before finally heading to his shared room and relax, replaying the evening while resisting the smile from tugging at his lips so Minseok wouldn’t think he’s lost it.  

~~~~~~~~~~

She didn’t really know how long she had been sitting there staring at her phone that was placed on the coffee table in front of her but Miko knew it was enough to know she was stalling. She needed to call Derek and make sure everything was okay. She needed to clarify that feeling so that doubt in her head could go away. But it was that same doubt that made her continue to stare at her phone, scared to touch it as if it would burn her. Miko shook her leg, closed her eyes and in a big breath before she reached to unlock her phone and scroll through her contacts stopping at the name she needed to talk to.

It was now or never.

She pressed the call button and placed it to her ear. The phones rang about 3 times until Derek picked up and Miko couldn’t help but to hear loud music in the background.

“Hey, Miko.” Derek greeted her calmly, the music become lower which indicated to the woman that he had moved to a quieter spot in the area. “What’s going on?”

"Oh, nothing really. Just hanging around the apartment." Miko stated. "What are you up to?"

“Nothing much. Xian Wei heard about this party so we came to it.” Derek answered and Miko rolled her eyes.

“No surprise there.” she stated but Derek frowned at the tone.

Derek sighed. “Miko, don’t start.”

“I’m not starting anything. I just find it interesting that you’re going to all of these parties with the guys and not answering my calls because you’re too busy.” Miko responded. “Very interesting.”

“I’m not in the mood to argue with you.”

“I see you’re also never in the “mood” to call or text me on a normal day as well.” she added on sarcastically. “Tell me, Derek. When exactly are you in the mood to talk to your girlfriend since apparently I have to make a schedule for it even when I don’t expect you to call me everyday. Like seriously what’s your deal?”

“I’m just living my life like you’re living yours.” he answered and Miko’s eyes widened at how cold he sounded. “I didn’t know I had to constantly revolve my life around Miko Lang and her Kpop adventures.”

“So the problem is me being in Korea.” Miko sighed. “But this is part of my job, Derek. What do you expect me to do?” she asked.

“I don’t expect anything from you.” Derek said simply and Miko just felt her heart slowly breaking into pieces.

“This isn’t what couples do, Derek. They don’t shut each other out.” Miko said.

“Maybe this couple thing isn’t for us.” Derek admitted and Miko felt the tears prickle the corners of her eyes at hearing him utter something like that.

Miko in a breath. “So, what you’re saying is…” she started but couldn’t even bring herself to finish the sentence. It hurt too much to even say out loud.

“I think it’s best that we spend some time apart.” Derek said easily before Miko heard a voice in the background. “I have to-” she ended the call not wanting to hear anymore. She then threw the phone to the other side of the couch as she held her face in her hands, her palms becoming wet from her fallen tears. She knew very well that people naturally grew apart but she never thought she and Derek would fall victim to that fate. Three years, three years...gone. They were on and off two times before but this was different compared to then, where the breakups were over some childish, teenage argument like not liking a certain genre of music or something else stupid. This was much more serious since communication was so important, a key part in a relationship. She loved Derek, with all of her heart, and it hurt to see how easily he could disregard how she felt...just like that. It hurt so much knowing that the person she wouldn’t give up on was able to easily give up on her, it was a truly special kind of pain.

“Tadaima~!” Cece exclaimed as she happily walked into her shared apartment with Miko. The girl saw her fellow Latina sitting on the couch, pushing her hair out of her face and not responding to her. “Hey, dork. You’re supposed to respond with an “Why are you saying that like omg we’re in South Korea. Learn your geography, Cecilia~!” in your stereotypical valley girl voice.” she chuckled but that soon changed when Miko turned to her, tears streaming down her face.

“Cece…” she choked out before she sobbed out.

“No, no, no, no, no! What happened?!” Cece exclaimed quickly as she jogged to the girl’s side and plopped down onto the couch, Miko laying her head on the girl’s lap. That was enough to tell Cece that her roommate didn’t want to talk about it at the moment. The older girl pushed the dark tresses out of Miko’s face, pecking her temple before laying her cheek against it while cradling her head in her arms. “Whenever you’re ready to talk, I’m right here.” she said gently as Miko grasped Cece’s hand and cried even harder, the two staying like that for a while. Both ended up falling asleep so Cece had to find the truth at another time.


=^_^=