The Night pt 8

The Night

I sit here looking at my daughter who is in a state of shock. "With me?" Is all she can say in a whispered tone. A single tear falls from my eye as I cradle the hand that houses the ring Junie gave me praying that it can magically conjure up the strength that i need, I clear my throat that has suddenly became dry. "Yes Minjun is your father."

"So my dad isn't really my dad?" Her voice becomes angery and tears begin to well in her eyes. "No he isn't your biological father but he is your dad in every sense of the word." As if on cue i hear the front door unlocking and I can hear Junho ask if anyone is home. "In the kitchen." I say. As he walks through the door Juniel is spriting to her father with tears falling from her eyes she crashes into his chest. Wrapping his arms around her he kisses her hair. "Baby, shh it's ok. What's wrong with my little girl?" Causing her to sob harder.

"She knows." Is the only thing i can muster up.

Junho tells her, "Juniel my little girl look at me." She still cries but obeys his command. "you are my daughter okay? I love yyou more than anything in this world. Nothing changes." looking over at me as he pulls her back into a tight hug and her cries continue he simply ask, "Does she know why?" At this point all I could do is shake my head. "Let her tell you the rest baby." Walking over to the table with her still in his embrace he reaches for my hand and i take it. Leading us to the living room he lets go of my hand so i  can sit. "Sit down hunny I will be right back my loves." He gives us a half smile.

We say nothing in the moments that he is away,  tears only fall from both of us. I know exactly where he is off to and i know exactly what he will bring back.

"How come you never told me mom?" Her words sound like an icey blade peircing my chest.

"I never knew how to tell you  and we didnt think you were ready. I wasnt even sure i was ready to tell you now but my first kiss made you. And the boy I loved with my entire heart created you." Junho comes back into the room carrying a box.

He sits it down in front of Juniel, on the label it reads : Juniel my love bug. Minjun's handwriting is its signature. "Open it and i will finish my story." As she lifts the lid memories flood back into head. She picks up a photo of my and him while i was 7 months pregnant standing in his parents rose field. "Our first family photo. You know your gandmas found out we were having you before we did. A week before my 18th birthday i got a really bad flu and couldnt keep anything down. so grandma took me to the hospital. I had to stay a few days because i was really dehydrated and pregnant." I chuckled some. "I remember the first morning after i was admited your grandmas both walked in and they both told me that i was pregnant. At first I cried because we were so careful and then i cried because she said she knew this would happen but she didnt think it would have been this soon. When junie walked in and was told he vowed to finish high school and college and take care of us both. He mom told him that we both would not just him. That night after when our moms went home Junie and i sat quietly for a while before he finally broke the silence. "Are you mad?" I looked over at him and thought for a few moments before i answered. "No i am not mad but are we even ready for a baby?" grabbing my hand he brought it to his lips and kissed it. "No but i know we can do this, I love you and i love the baby to and i am not going anywhere." He placed his hand on my stomach and leaned in and kissed me.

A week later the released me. Junie had begun to look for a part time job. We both thought it was best because we didnt want to depend a 100% on our parents.  I remember when he came home from a interview at a noodle house. i was sitting on the front porch and he was bouning up the steps and kissed me on the cheek.

"Guess who has a job?" His smile went from ear to ear and his eyes sparkled with joy. They  hired him right on the spot. "you got it?!" I squealed as he began to rub my tiny baby bump. I pulled him in for a tight hug. I thought how did i get so lucky.

Looking over at juniel studying her father's face I in amd tell her "You have his smile and his lauch and his eyes. Sometimes when i look in your eyes its as if i am looking at him. When you were little you could have been his twin. "

Right now at this very moment I see him in her so much and i want to break down and give up.  But for the both of them i dont, i reach into the  box and pull a sonogram picture out. "This was the first day that i ever got mad at him. He was late to the appoint and didnt get to see you for the first time. we got into a stupid fight about being late and that he had to cover a lunch and how i thought he was picking work over us. I said a few choice words to him and i remember his eyes. He was so hurt by what i said that he walked away. Which that made me cry because i thought he had left us for good and i wished so hard i could take back everything i had just said to him. I sat in the lobby for a about fifteen minutes or so just crying. when i was read to leave  I heard footsteps  from behind me. i turned around and it was him. He was holding a stuffed panda in one hand and in the other he had a rose.

"I am so sorry michelle." Was all he said. I rushed into his arms and began to sob again. " I should be the one who is sorry. Can you forgive me?"

"Baby you never need to be sorry this was important and i let you down."

I pulled out the small sonogram picture and pulled away just enough to hold it up in front of me. With a look of awe on his face and a crack in his voice he takes the picture, "Is this the baby?"

I simply nodded. His beautiful eyes began to water as he finds the first empty seat. "It's beautiful" Is all he can say as he starts to cry. Juneil took the picture and begin to gently trace the edges of it hoping that maybe she could  run into her fathers fingers, "I was 13 weeks here and i was due july 1st."