The Night pt5

The Night

I am not sure if I should tell her that first loves never last or that first loves never truly go away. I opt for "To know the answer you will have to hear the rest of our story."

"Well....." My daughter gives me this look where it's part"I'm listening and duh! Finish!" I chuckle.

"Ok hunny. That night we ended up falling asleep on the balcony hugging. As the sun shines on us I wake up to see grandma smiling at us, holding a camera in her hands.

"Mom we did nothing I swear." I half whisper half scream it to her. "I know sweetheat come here I want to talk to you." She hands me a few pillows off my bed and I lean Junie on them. Looking at his sleeping face i smile and turn and walk into the house into my moms room. "He is a good kid, Michelle. I'm so glad you said yes. He asked me yesterday for my approval. I looked at him baffeled and told him that I thought you two were already a couple."

We both laughed as i said, "I can't believe her asked you, He is such a dork." I giggled and looked out the window of her room as if he would appear out of thin air.

"But you love him  But just remember to take your time to love him you have a lifetime to do it." She placed her hand on top of mine and smiled.

"I do love him mom but i want to grow with him." Pulling me in she whispers into my hair "You're a smart girl I know you will do the right thing. I love you."

"I love you too mom." A knock on the door jam startles me. Min jun stood there with sleepy eyes, as he rubs the tired from his eyes he rest the other in his jeans pocket.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Martin but i fell asleep with Michelle last night but nothing happened." He said kind of afraid and nervous.

"It's ok dear, your mom called this morning looking for you . She said you need to go home today is the last day your grandma is down and she is kind of sad she hasn't seen you much. I guess your phone died and couldn't get in touch with you."

 "Thank you Mrs. Martin. Michelle can I take you out tonight? " He asked while looking at m with love in his eyes.

"You know you can. I'll walk you to the door." As I got closer to him he extended his hand for mine. I take it and smile; our fingers are laced into one anothers. As we reached the front door he pulled me in his strong arms and kissed my forehead. "I'm glad you said yes." He walked out of the door into the yard before i answered him. "I'm glad you asked me." I yelled as he hopped into the truck. Smiling he waved good bye.

"We spent everyday that summer inseprable, sneaking kisses, holding hands and staying out late, being young and in love." Looking at my daughter i see the excitement in her eyes. "Do you want to hear the rest?" She simply responds with a nod.

"On the first day of junior year I remember Sara, my old best friend looking at us hugging each other and stealing a kiss. She yelled at us as she walked by, "It's about damn time!"  I can remember blushing and burrying my face into Junie's shoulder. That year wasn't much different as the years before. Well besides us being offically a couple and the kissing. He always walked me to class and always managed to pick me up from class, even if his class was on the other side of campus.  A few days before October 12th he asked me to be ready by 5 am for school. He didnt tell me anything else besides that."

"On the morning of October 12th I remember waiting on the front steps as i hear his dad's old pick up truck pull up in the drive way. The sun has barely made its way over the horizon.  As he got out of the truck I remember he was wearing form fitting jeans and a red plaid long sleeve shirt with the sleeves folded to his elbows. i remember we almost looked like we were trying to match. I was wearing black leggings my favorite long sleeve sweater and some chucks. My hair was braided to one side and he had a red beanie on with some "nerd" glasses. He bounded up the stairs two at a time. "Hey baby." He said as he kissed me and held me for a few minutes. With a sly sinister smile on his face and a trick up his sleeve. " Ok Junie what are you up to?"

"What?! I cant be happy to see you?" His sinister smile has turned into an innocent smile.

"It's always ok to see me but why so early?"

"You will just have to wait and see. You have your stuff for school? We won't have time to come back and get it."

"Yea it's over there." I point to the old white bench on the porch. He walks over and picks up my purse and folder and reaches for my hand in the process. As we walk to the truck he opens the door for me. I notice in the seat sets a beautiful lily. I pick the elegant flower up so gently as though it might shatter in my embrace. I thank him and secretly think to myself why is today so special? I watch him go around the front of the truck and with one movement he brings the ancient truck to life. Taking my left hand in to his right he kisses it and pulls out of the drive way and on to the dawn lit streets. As I look out of the window I try and figure out where he is leading me. "You're taking me to the woods to kill me aren't you?" I gasp as I say it. "Haha very funny. You will see soon enough." He turns onto a dirt road that is lined with a rose field on one side and various flowers in the other field. "My dad planted all these flowers for my mom. So she always had something beautiful to remind her of Korea and to have flowers all year long. A few years ago my dad decided to turn it into a business where he and my mother could work together and not be apart." He pointed to the field of roses where a table was set up with paper laterns and candles.

"What is this?" I say in a whisper at a loss for words.

"Happy 100 days baby." He says as he parks the truck. I dont wait for him to open my door. I am in amazement as i examine the surroundings. I am floored by what he has done. I feel so gulitiy because I didnt know he wanted to celebrate our first 100 days. As if he reads my thoughts "I know in America you dont do any of this 100 days celebration but I wanted to, you deserve it" He reaches for my hand and kisses me. I notice there are two cupcake boxes on the table smiling i already know what he has done. "I know its early for cupcakes so I got us muffins instead. One is blueberry, for you  and the other is strawberry cream cheese, for me." As I open the box i notice it is cut down the middle. "since you like to take some of mine." He chuckled as he said it. "I do not you are the one who steals mine." We both giggle knowing that i am right, he hands me a cup of hot coco and i smile.. "You remember." I look at him and smile, I realize that I love him.  I knew i was young but he just made the world seem right ya know. I remember in nights before I would pray that I would get a chance to grow old with him. Clearing his throat he says "Michelle Happy 100 days. I dont know how this goes but i am going to try. Every since we became friends I always felt this happiness that i have never felt before." As he is talking he places a tiny box in front of me.

"Minjun what is this?"

"Open it and i will explain." Inside the box two rings lay. One was a beautiful flower ring and the other was a solid band. "They are couple rings. I know everyone knows we are together but I wanted you to know i am serious and i am not going anywhere." He took the rings out of the box and placed the flower on my left index finger and said "I promise to always be here for you and protect you and support you until this flower dies. I love you Michelle."