The Night pt 10

The Night

"The day you were born was one of the craziest. That morning I woke up determinded to repaint your entire room. I wanted to change it from black and purple to pink and grey. I was dressed in old sweats and an old oversized shirt that barely fit then. I was sitting in the middle of the room when Junie walked past the room. Moments later i heard him retrace his steps. I looked up and I saw him leaning against the door jam. "What do you think you are doing?" He let out this lazy laugh.

"Repainting the room, I don't like it."

"Baby you are to far along to do this. You are due any day now. It's not a good idea." I looked at him and told him; "if you want to see her born either help me or shut up and get out." By then I was struggling to stand up when a sharp pain ran hot in my belly.I fell on all fours trying to mask the pain from Junie but it was too late. "Are you ok?" The pain began to subside and I nodded to him. "Yes I am fine. Just sat to long in one spot and got a cramp."

"That doesn't look like a cramp sweetheart." He sounded worried.

"Ya! Ya! Leave me be!" Knowing that I wouldn't listen to him when he would say I wasn't fine he just sat there for a few more moments looking at me for any signs of more pain. By the time I got up and reached for the paint brush and painter's tape I noticed a look of defeat hit. "Fine I will be downstairs if you need me." He knew he shouldn't be in there with me while i was on this crazy mission and upset already. He somehow knew I wouldn't change the colors because i had threatened anyone who suggested lighter colors. As I began to tape off the room again the sharp pain rely to carry a constriciting pain with it. I yelled for Junie at the top of my lungs. He came crashing through the door a few seconds later. Out of breath he was at my side. "The bags are in the car. Take deep breaths like they taught us baby." He had placed one hand on back and held my shaking hand in the other. "Can you make it downstairs?" I took a deep breath and with a heavy sigh I nodded. "I think so." Never moving his hands he began to lead me out of the room. As we made our way slowly down the stairs he told me that he loved me. We were greeted by grandma outside in the car with the passengers door open and the engine running.

"How long have you felt like this Michelle?"Grandma asked as we were driving at a much faster speed than what i was used to to. I began to look out that window watching the trees zip by. "Last night/ this morning." Junie and I both replied in unison. Junie looked at me puzzled and surprised. "Last night, why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought it was just gas or settling. My due date isn't for a few more days." Grandma laughed at me, "Baby you don't do any type of settling."Just as she said that the tightening and sharp pains danced acrossed my hardening belly.

"Breathe" He made the sounds I was supposed to do but I just let out this hiss type of cry. The pain was unbearable. We pulled up to the hospital as the contraction ended, he tried to go get me a wheelchair. But me being stubborn i refused. "The pain is gone. I can walk" I groaned. I walked in with no pain but as soon as the elevator doors opened on the labor and delivery floor a sharp pain hit me. i hobbled over to the Nurses station just as a moistness hit my knees, my water broke.

"Someone is ready to have a baby. Come on sugar we can get these papers filled out later. Dad? why don't you ush mom back this way." She was a short , plump, grandmother kind of lady with a rich voice and soft smile and warm laugh. As she helped me get undressed she looked at her watch i assume to monitor how long the contraction lasted."What's your name sugar? So we can get this baby here."

"Michelle Grace Garcia, I registered a few weeks ago." I clentched my teeth on the ending of my sentence because the pain had come back . I began to  breathe heavily again.

"Let me go get the doctor hunny. Your contractions arent slowing down" She quickly shuffled out of the room.

Not more than two minutes later a short, round balding man walked into the room. "Hi Michelle. I'm Dr. Martin The physcian on call right now. I want to check and see how dilated you are. I reached for Junie's hand as he checked. "You are about six centimeters dilated I will get the anesthesiologist here as soon as possible." He stepped out of the room and the nurse asked grandma to go with her she needed some more information from her.

Within  ten minutes i got my epidurial and was waiting to be pronounced fully dilated. The contrations were not as painful now since the medicine had set in.

"Michelle, I cant wait to meet her." Junie said as he sat next to me.

"Me either Min Jun."

An hour later a team of about four nurses and the doctor came in announcing that it was time to push. I had never been so scared and happy in my entire life. With five pushes and a few of I can't do this and a lot of i hate you and love yous came out of my mouth. You were born. I remember feeling a sense of pride and joy when you let out your first cry. I had fell back on the bed from exhaustion and the room was quiet except for a few machines and i hear this angelic cry come from you. I began to cry as the doctor spoke. "Congratulations mom and dad it's a girl."

I remember looking over to Junie and he had tears rolling down his cheeks as he looked at me " You did it baby. She's beautiful. I love you. Thank You. He leaned down and kissed me. my shoulder.

"Would you like to hold her? She is all cleaned up." A nurse asked me.

I only nodded. She handed me this tiny white and pink stripped blanketed pink hat baby. You began to wiggle and nuzzle closer to me and you opened your eyes and just stared for a moment and fell asleep. I lost it i began to cry and say that you were beautiful.

"Can I hold her?"  Junie asked. I began to pass you to him and he settled closer to me and he looked at you with this twinkle in his eyes. "Juniel, Hi baby girl it's daddy. You're so beautiful just like your mommy." he began to struggle with his words so he just said "My two girls." And kissed you on your forhead and turned and kissed me.

The first day you where here he wouldn't hardly let anyone else beside me or him hold you. But your grandmas they fought for a hold.

We both got to come home a few days later and I remember IU and Suzy and Sunny all wanted to come see you that day but Junie said no. About a week later everyone came by to see you. Taec was amazed at how beautiful you were. "I remember when Junho first came and saw you." I look over at him and he is glassy eyed and he puts this brave tight lipped smile on for us.

"I walked in and saw Min Jun holding you and I lost it. i asked if i could hold you and he said yes. After he put you in my arms you made this cooing sound and you melted my heart. I had given your mom two small boxes and asked her to open them. The one that was labled for her had a ring that held three stones of two different colors. two for your mom and dad and one that was your birth stone. when she finally opened the one for you. She began to cry." Inside was a necklace that had the same stones inside only to read mom dad and baby and the stones and names floated freely in them. Juniel instinictivley reaches for her necklace that she has worn since she could remember.

"Your dad had no words to say as i watched your mom put the ring on her finger. "She will love this bro. Thank you. I love you man" He reached down and hugged me as you lay sleeping in my arms." Junho's voice began crack.

Tears began to flow faster and harder from my eyes as i saw my baby girl hold her father in her arms. I know what is coming next.

She pulls away from Junho only for a brief moment to wipes her eyes. "Mom?"

My voice is shakey as i answer. "Yes?"

"What happened to him, what happened to Min Jun"

This is where I fall apart. My sobs are uncontorlable and i can not speak. Junho looks at me and switches seats with his daughter that doesn't let go. he pulls me to his body as i sob and cry into his chest..

 

 

 

"Min Jun died baby." Is all he says.