Chapter 9

×:█「⊰BITTERSWEET° ▬

 

:CHAPTER ⊹ N I N E ▫ 

     ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████
        sugar and spice . day and night . white and black . sweet and sour . present and absent . hot and cold . shy and bold . love and hate 
              ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯BITTER &SWEET⋯⋯

No New Messages

No New Calls

It was already evening, the sky was black and the lights of the city were on. Em was walking along a random road, shoving past a few people who glared at her in return.

Em had not given in due to her pride earlier. She had wanted to call Aron earlier so bad during the party. Where was he? She looked down at her phone. She was about to dial his number but then gasped and almost dropped her phone when it began ringing.

Servant is calling

She answered it before the first ring had finished. “ you!” she greeted.

She heard him laugh on the other side. “Love you too, Em! Happy birthday!”

“Aren’t you early?” she hissed out with sarcasm, stopping in her tracks and standing by the side of a building, away from the people passing.

“I’m not late! It’s still your birthday, right?”

“Where the hell are you? So I can beat you up to my heart’s content! You’ll allow me that birthday gift, won’t you?”

“But I have a better one! You’re by the main street, right?”

Em’s eyes widened and she looked around. “You can see me?”

“I have a tracker on your phone! Go a few blocks north and enter that huge blue skyscraper - not the green one across it, got it?”

“Why do you have a tracker on my phone?” she asked, annoyed. But she followed his instructions anyway. She looked up at the tall building.

“Go to the rooftop!”

She entered it, frowning a bit when she noticed that none of the guards even asked her why she came in. “You’re up there?... I’m not going to jump with you.”

“I still have a lot to do before dying - don’t worry!”

“Like me killing you?!”

Aron laughed again. “Why are you so mad today?” She stared at the elevator numbers, watching each one light up as she passed by the many floors. “... Em?”

“Why weren’t you there earlier?” she muttered.

She didn’t like how she sounded. It was like she was the prime example of the very person she was accusing Yun Hee of being - so dependant on her friends. Her grip on her phone tightened and she bit on her lip. She wasn’t going to cry, no!

“I was there! In your heart!”

Em suddenly scoffed, glad he had taken her mind off the matter. “That’s one of the most stupid things I’ve ever heard you say.”

“Eh? Didn’t you fall for me? That was a pretty good line!”

“Why didn’t you even call? Made me think you died or something,” she said, trying to mask her saddened tone.

“I didn’t want to disturb whatever fun you were having with the others!”

“What made you so sure I was having fun with them?! I mean, how could I…?” when you weren’t even there! were her unspoken words.

“Because I made sure to tell those guys to make you have fun!” She recalled their presents and greetings. “They didn’t do good?”

“... They aren’t my friends - they’re yours!”

“Which makes them yours too!... Oh! I heard the ding sound! You on the final floor now? Keep going right and you’ll see the staircase to the rooftop.”

She exited the elevator and followed his directions. “I’m still pissed at you,” she said as she began heading up the stairs.

“... Am I so special that you were waiting especially for my greeting~?” he asked in a playful tone.

Em opened the rooftop door with a loud slam. Only a few lights in the area were on, but it was enough for her to see the lone figure standing in the middle. Aron had his phone to his ear, smiling brightly at her…

… and she suddenly calmed down.

“Yes,” she answered honestly.

“Just what I wanted to hear! Happy birthday, Em!”

On cue, she saw a light rise up in the air and explode. Em looked forward at the colorful sparks with wide eyes. Several more began to accompany it. “... Fireworks?” she muttered, but it was easily drowned out by the loud noise the fireworks were causing.

What was amazing, was how close they were. They weren’t in the sky above her nor were they small designs. The building was so large that the bursts of colors and sparks was on eye-level with them and one firework practically covered most of her vision.

She put away her phone and quickly went forward to where Aron was, gripping onto the fence on the side and looking down. “Where are they being shot? What celebration is happening? Why are we so near?... How did you get such an awesome view?!” she asked in awe.

“With my body,” he said to her last question, wiggling his eyebrows at her.

She punched him in the stomach harder than usual. He winced in pain. “That was for that stupid comment and being so late. Answer me seriously!”

“This building belongs to the dad of one of our classmates. He got me permission to use the rooftop, but I had to work here doing scutwork for a day… today,” he elaborated. “I wanted it to be a surprise so I didn’t tell you.”

“You could’ve at least told me you were doing something else,” she said angrily.

More colors and designs lit up beside them. Aron turned to face her with a smile. The different colors were casting a beautiful illumination over his profile. It gave him a such surreal feeling… “Happy birthday, Em,” he said, a small smile on his face. She felt her breath get stuck in when she heard him.

Em quickly looked away. “... You look… really handsome right now…”

More fireworks lit up the sky right as she said that. “What was that?” he asked.

“Nothing! I’m still mad at you for being so late!” she said, crossing her arms and looking back at the light show.

Aron pouted but followed her gaze back anyway. “Eh? Wasn’t my handsome charm enough for forgiveness?”

“...! So you did hear me!”


Yun Hee locked herself in the bathroom of Ren’s house earlier when Em had left. The guys had thought to give her some time, but it had grew late and was already dark outside.

“Yun Hee..?” Ren asked through the door. “Are you okay?”

“No…” He could hear her voice crack, she was still on and off crying, thinking about everything that happened today.

“Why don’t you open the door, we can talk about it if you’d like? I’ll listen.” He offered before noticing one of the lingering classmates walking up the hall with his hand down south hinting he needed the bathroom. Ren shooed him away. “Go home, stop using up my wi-fi.”

“I can’t wait that long, either I use your bathroom or piss in the hallway right now.”

“I will murder you if you dare piss on my floor.” Ren glared. Just then he heard the bathroom door unlock and open. Yun Hee came dashing out.

“Sorry for hogging up the bathroom, it’s all yours!” She bowed before taking off down the hall into the nearest room… Ren’s room. The classmate rushed past Ren to take the bathroom while Ren sprinted off down to his room. Why my room of all rooms?!

She had shut the door and locked it… again.

“Yun Hee!” He banged on the door. “Why are you locking yourself in all these rooms… in my house?!”

“I’m sorry! I just…” She sobbed.

“It’s okay, though I really wished you’d let me inside… I’m worried about you.” He admitted. There was a moment of silence before he heard his door unlock. He looked down the hallway making sure Minhyun wasn’t around, knowing he’d want to come inside too. He entered and quickly locked the door behind himself.

Yun Hee was sitting on the floor at the foot of his bed, head buried into her crossed arms. He frowned and walked over kneeling next to her. “What’s wrong?” He asked quietly.

“Today just… wasn’t what I thought it’d be. I thought we were going to have fun.” Her words muffled. “I was stupid and agreed to meet my real father… that was a mistake.” She began to let everything out. “The man didn’t even acknowledge me, treated me like a stranger, was rude…” She wiped at her eyes. “I see where Em gets it…”

“I’m sorry.” Was all Ren could say in hopes to comfort her.

“I really was hoping we’d all get along…” The tears started up again. “It hurts knowing your parent rejects you… and it hurts even more when your sister constantly rejects you as well… what am I doing wrong, Ren?”

He hesitated… how was he suppose to answer that question? “Well,” He started, “maybe they just needed time to process the news…”

“But my dad already knew I existed…”

“He must have his reasons… I mean your mother married another man who raised you… there must be some sort of issues behind that.”

“Maybe you’re right, but he shouldn’t take it out on me, I had nothing to do with it.” She sighed. “This whole situation is complicated and giving me a headache.”

“You should stop thinking about it for now and pick up on it tomorrow… don’t let the rest of your birthday be spoiled because of this.”

“Alright, thank you for listening to me.” A small smile replacing her frown.

“No problem.” He smiled back.

“I’m sorry for just barging in here, too.” She looked apologetic before looking around his room. There were a few Lady Gaga posters on his wall as well as a mini shelf holding her albums. She remembered JR’s comment earlier, ‘she’s just as obsessed with Hello Kitty as Ren is obsessed with Lady Gaga.’... “So… you like Lady Gaga?” She asked the obvious. Was she not there on his birthday singing all of Lady Gaga’s songs?

He just gave a small laugh, “I do. I thought you would have known that by now?”

“My brain is a little… mushy from all the stress lately, sorry.” She forced a smile.

“That’s alright.” He reassured her. “So what about you, you must like Lady Gaga to know the lyrics to her songs?”

“I like her, she’s unique.” She nodded. He felt happy they could share the same interested in the American Pop singer. “That was one of her latest from ARTPOP earlier, wasn’t it?” She asked, recalling the familiar words that played on his phone when she and Em arrived.

“Oh… yeah. I should change that.” He mumbled pulling out his phone.

“Haha, why!?” She started to laugh. “It fits so well.” She repeated Minhyun’s words.

“This is why.” He pouted, pointing to her laughing.

“I’ll stop..” She covered but failed as a few laughs escaped. “Ow.” She held her stomach.

“What is it?”

“It hurts.” She mumbled.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.” He laughed lightly, knowing what she was talking about.

“Yah! You better not be doing anything naughty in there!” Minhyun banged on the door.

“Damn it, Minhyun! We were just about to!” Ren shouted back, completely serious.

Yun Hee paled. “No, we weren’t!”

“Don’t let him do anything to you yet, that’s my job!” Minhyun turned at the locked door knob.

“Can you guys be serious!?” Yun Hee blushed.

“But we are!” They chorused.

“I get it, you’re just trying to make me feel better, but I’m no ert, so you can stop.”

Ren laughed, glad to see her slightly back in happy spirits. “So erted jokes make you feel better?” he teased.

“Don’t make fun of her!... without me! I want to see her embarrassed face too!” Minhyun whined.

“Don’t put words into my mouth.” She could hear them holding in their laughter. “So immature.” Despite being the innocent girl everyone knew, somewhere inside she knew things she shouldn’t know, and that was all thanks to her brother’s girlfriend… Hana.

At her comment, they didn’t hesitate to hide their laughter anymore. Yun Hee followed shortly after. “There’s a ert in everyone, there’s no such thing as pure innocence.” Ren pointed out. She frowned.

“You saying I’m not innocent at all?”

“I don’t know, are you?”

“I would like to think I am.” She crossed her arms.  

“Then you wouldn’t mind me taking my shirt off, would you? It shouldn’t bother you, right?”

“NO, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING!?” Minhyun shouted through the door. “OPEN THIS DAMN DOOR, REN!”

“Not gonna happen~!”

“Don’t really do it! I thought you were just joking!?" Yun Hee exclaimed covering her eyes.

“Shoot, I guess you really are innocent.”

“Why do you sound so disappointed?!”

“How else can I give you a special birthday present if you can’t even look at me shirtless.”

“You can’t be serious!”

“Completely serious.”

“... what’s the present?” She couldn’t help but ask that curious question, but soon regretted it when Ren raised an eyebrow.

“Don’t ask that!’ Minhyun banged his head on the door, this joking was going too far.

“Come here and you’ll find out.” He said nonchalantly beckoning her over to himself. There was silence before Minhyun could hear her gasp.

Ren had pulled out a small box from his back pocket and handed it over to her. It was another present. When she opened it, she saw a sparkling set of Hello Kitty earrings. They were so pretty it made her gasp in excitement.

“Ren you ba-”

“You heard wrong, he gave me another present!” Yun Hee jumped up about to open the door for Minhyun when Ren stopped her by the wrist.

“Don’t open the door yet…” He looked at her strangely. At first she worried maybe his joking was him being serious, but then ruled that out knowing he wasn’t really that kind of guy. Something about it made her obey his words of not opening the door yet.

She sat down next to him again, not saying anything while admiring the earrings he gave her. They sat in silence for a couple of moments. It seemed Minhyun took some sort of hint and left the two alone.

Honestly Ren just wanted to spend a little more time with Yun Hee, alone. They never really had time alone before besides that one time in the nurses office, and it was more awkward then since they had just met. Minhyun was always hanging off of her while everyone else just stood by, sometimes not really having good reasons to be present to begin with, like they were just there for show. He always got too nervous to just ask her to meet him alone, wondering if she’d decline. He just wanted to talk to her without anyone else butting in.

Now was his chance, but he wasn’t too sure what to say to her now! Though he had to laugh a little at the situation, being locked in his room with the girl he liked from school on a Saturday night… usually things would be going in a totally different direction, but they were at a standstill at the moment on an unknown path.

“Is your bed comfortable?” Suddenly Yun Hee asked. He looked at her quickly.

“What?” He was caught off guard with that question… honestly felt slightly embarrassed, it didn’t help with all that joking they did earlier.

She got up to sit on his bed, bouncing on it a little. “I think your bed may be more comfortable than mine! Can I sleep here tonight?” She laughed. “I’m only kidding though.” She noticed his embarrassed face. “What are you so embarrassed about, we’ve already slept together once before right?” She said, not even realizing how wrong her words sounded. Though that was technically true, they had slept in the same bed before on Halloween night. But most wouldn’t know those words were literal and not a cover for something more.

“You what?!” Minhyun shouted through the door once again.

“You heard wrong again!” Yun Hee laughed.

Rocket number 9 take off to the planet… to the planet… Venus.” Ren had some Lady Gaga to drown out Minhyun whining at the door.

“This song.” Yun Hee smiled.

When you touch me I die just a little inside, I wonder if this could be love, this could be love. Cause you’re out of this world galaxy, space and time, I wonder if this could be love, this could be love. Ohhh~”

The two sang along. Thinking about the songs lyrics, Yun Hee looked at Ren as he was just singing along to each lyric flawlessly. I don’t really die inside when he touches me… but I do feel something… Could this be… She thought to herself before Ren noticed her staring at him. She looked away blushing. Could this be love?


Was my gift amazing or what?” Aron said with a proud grin.

The fireworks show had just ended. They were still sitting crosslegged by the fence on the edge of the rooftop. Em glanced out at their high view of the city, still a bit amazed at the sight. “... What’s with the level up? We just hung out like normal during my birthday last year.”

“Same for mine last year… but then you had to go and one-up me on my birthday months ago.”

“Aron…? You might wanna take a look outside…” one of his classmates said.

Aron frowned, glancing at the crowd that was gathering near the windows. It was still several minutes before first period - was something already happening so early in the morning? He followed after his classmates and looked down.

The soccer field of their school had been vandalized. Thx 4 Being Born! was painted over the grass in such large letters that it could easily be read from the top of the building.

“How’d you know it was for me?” he said, a grin beginning to form as he was fully aware of who did it.

His classmate just laughed and pointed at a four-eyed girl covered in various colors of paint, running away from a teacher. “You’re the only person she’d actually put effort in.”

Till now, the tips of the grass on the soccer field still had a hint of color on it.

“What? So I have to beat this,” she gestured to their sky high view, “for your next birthday?!”

“I look forward to what you come up with!” he said in reply. She just groaned and faced back front. There was a brief moment of silence, until it was interrupted by Aron’s growling stomach. “You didn’t bring me any cake?” Aron asked, a bit embarrassed.

Em glared at him. “If you wanted cake, you should’ve come.”

“Still mad?”

“Yes!”

Aron stared at her in the eye for a moment… then he sighed and faced the city again.

“That’s pretty rude! Don’t make such a dejected sigh after looking at my face!”

“Did something bad happen?”

Her brief argument with Minhyun and Yun Hee and her punch to JR immediately came to mind. Bad things did happen. It wasn’t her fault though, right? They were constantly rubbing into her face how she had no friends like it was wrong.

There was nothing wrong with having just Aron as her friend.

She was happy with him. He was enough of a friend for her. She didn’t want anyone else in their friendship. Just the two of them was perfectly fine..

“... I don’t like them,” she muttered.

“Who?”

“Your friends…” She avoided his gaze and looked back at the tall buildings. “Aren’t I enough?”

Aron almost choked on air. “Wh-Wait-What?” He laughed and pulled her into a hug, to which she winced at the pressure. “You’re so possessive!”

“What made you think that?!” she exclaimed. “I meant- Gah! Forget everything I said!”

“I don’t like your friends…. Aren’t I enough?” Aron repeated in a high-pitched voice, still hugging tightly onto his friend.

“Shut up!” she said, covering her ears. “Don’t repeat it! UGH!”

She felt him loosen his hold on her, but he did not let go.

“Of course, you’re enough. You’re more than enough,” he whispered. Em’s eyes widened in shock at his words. He finally let go of her and grinned at her. “But I’m not… I won’t always be with you, you know? Like earlier… I want you to have other friends too. So that when I’m not there, I know you’re not lonely-!”

“Don’t be an idiot! We went through middle school without my sister and those other guys - I don’t see why you’re suddenly worried now! We were fine then, we can keep it that way, right?”

“But it’s more fine now, right?” Aron said with a smile. “You’re having so much fun now. Minhyun’s become immortal from your abuse… Baekho’s a victim that doesn’t even realize you bully him… JR’s the only guy on par with you in a fight… Yun Hee’s the only girl that can handle your rudeness and still keep coming back… Don’t get me started on how much you’re having fun with Ren!”

Em grew silent. He was right on all accounts… but did any of the above make them her friends? Not to mention her sister… They’ve fought more than Em has with any other girl. They usually get along well in the beginning, but then something bad happens.

“Yun Hee met my dad,” she suddenly said.

Aron paused for a moment, trying to wonder what went on in his friend’s head that caused the sudden topic change. “... I guess it wasn’t a happy family meeting?”

“Totally ignored her… He also forgot our birthday… It’s the first time he’s done it consecutively. So he’ll probably remember next year… Ah!” she raised up her knees and buried her head in her arms. “I want to see your sisters all of a sudden and bully them!”

“Please don’t! They bully me after!” he pleaded. “... But… your dad-”

“It’s fine. Yun Hee got the bitter end of the deal - I can manage with the forgotten birthday.”

“If you say so… So, about our friends...”

“They’re there,” she merely said… Aron smiled slightly at her acceptance of it.

They sat together for a moment in silence. The hustle and bustle of the city was way below them, only the sounds of the crisp night air and wind so high up greeted their ears.

“You still owe me for standing me up at that bibimbap place.”

“...”


“Well, well, well, look who we have here.”

“Oh it’s you.” Yun Hee looked over her shoulder at Aron before returning back to her snack picking.

“Are you ignoring me? You’re ignoring me, aren’t you?!” Aron said in a panicked voice.

It was currently late in the evening, just minutes before midnight. The two, who apparently lived quite close to each other, had managed to meet up at the same convenience store.

She picked a snack finally, and passed him to look for a drink now.

“Yun Heeeee~” he wailed, following after her. “Oh! I know! You must be mad at me for not going to the party, huh?” Just like your sister. “I didn’t know you missed me that much!” he said, grinning at her.

“Why didn’t you come?” She looked at him a bit serious. Maybe if you had come, me and Em wouldn't have fought.

“I had a photoshoot to attend, sorry. It’s hard being a K-pop idol,” he said, sighing.

“If you can’t answer me seriously, then don’t bother talking to me.” She turned around and headed to the cashier to pay for her items.

Aron winced and quickly followed her again. Right. This wasn’t Em... Wait no. They both got mad at him when he joked too much. “Sorry, sorry! It was for my birthday present for Em… Did JR give you mine?” He placed some money on the counter. “This is on me, as exchange for my absence earlier.”

She allowed it since she wasn’t quick enough to get out her wallet to pay the clerk, besides, the clerk already accepted Aron’s money anyway. Once the items were paid for she headed out the exit. She was still ignoring him.

Aron frowned and followed after her, unsure of how to handle being ignored. “Yun Hee~!” he called out again, walking in step with her. “Don’t be like that! Wasn’t the party fun? I mean - Em didn’t cause that much of ruckus without me, did she?” he said with a laugh.

She stopped, turning to face him with the same serious face. “Yeah it was fun, she ruined my birthday, so much fun.” She opened her green tea for a drink.

Aron frowned slightly, recalling Em’s horrible behavior earlier as well. He hadn’t gotten out of her what had happened, but apparently Yun Hee had suffered through it too… too. “Well… her birthday was ruined too, with… uh, whatever happened.”

“All I did was suggest she make some new friends, but instead of her taking it as a helpful tip, she took it as an insult… insulted me, started bullying everyone else… all because you weren’t there to stop her.”

Aron’s eyes widened in realization… no wonder she was so mushy earlier about not liking his ‘other’ friends. “... This is where misunderstandings come from, right? She has to understand you were just trying to help… but you also have to understand that those words weren’t very nice either… You wouldn’t need me to stop her if you hadn’t provoked her.”

“She told me she wanted to leave because she had no friends to hang out with at the party! How was me suggesting that… not nice?!”

Aron gulped, a bit shocked at her sudden behavior. This wasn’t good. What was it with the twins always getting mad at him?! Was he that easy to yell at?... He supposed, yes. “Calm down, I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.” Suddenly the green tea she bought - he bought - splashed all over his face and jacket.

“Idiot! When you’re not there Em is 10x crueler than normal!” She shouted, on the verge of tears again. “It was worse than you think!”

Aron grew silent at her words, accepting the punishment he had received… Was releasing Em out into the wild so soon a wrong move? “... I’m sorry,” he said. “The last time I wasn’t with her in a large group of people… was in the girl’s changing room... and now this... I should’ve gone on both occasions.”

Now his face was met with the bag of chips she had in her other hand. “Why can’t you be serious!?” She started to cry. “No one is ever serious!”

Aron grinned at her and took hold of the chips before they could fall to the floor. “Actually-”

“Don’t smile!” She ran over and started hitting him, but it honestly felt like a pair of noodles gently hitting him. He started to laugh. “Don’t laugh!” she sobbed. “I’m serious!”

He let her punch weakly at his chest and cry. Aron patted her on the head. “I’m never serious. So feel free to hit and insult as much as you want - I won’t take it seriously!”

“Why can’t I be stronger…? Why am I so weak… life is so much harder when you’re weak.” She cried, still hitting him slowly.

He was expecting insults directed at him, not at her own self.

“I cry at anything, it’s ridiculous! Everyone has this need to protect me because I’m too innocent and fragile… I can’t do anything for myself...”

Aron rested his hand on her head and nodded deeply. “You’re out here buying food when it’s pitch dark alone… You managed to hold back all your anger and sadness from earlier till now… Just because everyone may think you’re innocent and fragile, doesn’t mean you are, right? Everyone thinks I’d make an awesome idol, but doesn’t mean I am, right?”

She attempted to punch him in the stomach, just like Em would. He found it cute how similar it was… except for the fact that it tickled more than it hurt.

“Em told me about your dad earlier… now you had to deal with Em herself as well… The Seohs are messing with you… and yet you’re holding out very well. Your punches may be weak, but you’re quite the strong person.”

He pushed her away lightly and pinched her cheeks.

“So, stop belittling yourself. You’re little enough.”

“Not too little to do this.” She kicked him between the legs.

Aron winced and went down in pain. “Hey! I said a lot of nice and serious things before that!... Ow, ow, ow… I swear, you two sisters are so alike…”

She grabbed the fallen chips and ripped open the bag and sprinkled them all over him. She was laughing by now.

“You’re so evil!” He wailed in despair and agony.

“Thanks for letting me vent…” She kneeled next to him. “I feel a lot better now… so…” Her face started to look apologetic.

“No! Don’t you dare apologize for this. Learn to say sorry only when needed.”

“Well I was only going to apologize for wasting your money…” She looked at the empty can and bag of chips.

But not for kicking me in the place where the sun doesn’t shine?! “... Don’t worry… it wasn’t a waste.”

“But… I’m still hungry.” She pouted.

“You twins share the same huge appetite,” he said with a laugh as he stood up, wincing a bit at the pain. “We going back to the store then?”

“First one there, Aron pays. Last one there, Aron pays.” She grinned.

“I lose in both?!”

“Be a good sport!” She laughed. With that they both headed back to the store. On the way there she started humming that Lady Gaga song she heard in Ren’s room. “When you touch me I die just a little inside I wonder if this could be love, this could be love…”

“Really? But I don’t see you that way, Yun Hee. Besides, our names don’t mix very well. How can we be shipped properly?!”

“I wasn’t singing about you, idiot.” She nudged him.

“So you were singing about someone! Who is he? Details! Give me details! Does his name start with R and end with a N? Does it~?”

“Who I like doesn’t concern you, jerk.” She tried to play it cool, but was failing.  She was never good at lying. “But to answer that question, no, does not start with an R and end with a N.” He was… kind of right yet… she found a loop hole. Ren’s real name was Minki after all.

“Then does it start with a M and end with an I?!”

“Stop guessing!”

“So I’m right?!”

“Stop!” She covered her ears, speeding up her steps.

He followed after her easily, quite enjoying the brief reversal of roles. Best he take advantage before she retorts back. “Does he have blonde hair? A pretty face?... That was a Lady Gaga song too, wasn’t it? It must be Morani, right? That guy in our third period?”

“Yeah. Wait… No!” She messed up by answering the last question instead of the third question, which actually answered all the questions before then.

Aron grinned as they finally entered the store. “Denial!... It’s as shiny as that Hello Kitty ring on your finger.” All five boys had come together when buying her gifts, he knew where the ring came from.

“Shhh… Don’t say anything…” She hushed him. He tilted his head, confused. “No one can know…”

“... That you have the hots for me? And that we’re on a secret date right now?”

“Exactly, let’s go with that, so shut up!” She grabbed at least four bags of chips before running off to the drink section.

“You heard all of that, right?” Aron turned to Baekho standing in the next aisle.

“I heard nothing… I wasn’t here.” He grabbed a few chips before backing away to the cashier in the front.

Yun Hee appeared by him again, drinks now in hand too. “... You saw him,” she stated more than asked.

Aron took hold of the stuff in her hands and began backing away to the cashier as well. “I saw nothing...”


“So cute~!”

Yun Hee looked up from the small piece of paper she was drawing on to see Minhyun smiling brightly at her, JR by his side. She smiled. “Thanks! It’s Hello Kitty, so of course it is!”

“I meant both the drawing and you!” Minhyun gushed.

They heard a bag drop to the floor. All three turned to see Aron staring at them with a dejected face. “It’s too early in the morning to be dealing with you guys. You two aren’t even in our class for first period!”

Minhyun went behind Yun Hee and wrapped his arms around her neck, looking down at what she was working on. JR was leaning by the doorway to the classroom, eyes focused on the hallway.

“... I’m being ignored again, aren’t I?”

“You haven’t got used to it yet?” Ren said, putting his bag on his desk. “... We’re still irritated that you didn’t come to the twin’s birthday and controlled your dragon.”

“I figured she was big enough to survive on her own-!”

The temperature of the room suddenly dropped. Most of the class focused on what they were doing, but a few brave souls turned to the source. JR was by the doorway, a deadly wave of a murderous aura around him. And then, his victim entered.

Before Em could take another step, she was already on the ground, flat on her back and groaning in pain.

JR hovered over her. “Payback,” he merely said before leaving the classroom and heading to his own.

Em stared up at the ceiling, trying to process what happened. JR never actually hit girls... He had just tripped her and pushed her on the back - so why did it hurt so damn much? Was the floor harder than she thought? Was it the fear?... It was the fear, probably. “Damn it. I’m never coming early again,” she mumbled.

This time, a familiar and identical face met her vision. Yun Hee was looking down at her. “... Are you alright?”

“... I’ll probably request we change the school floor to carpet. But I’m still alive,” she muttered, sitting up.

Yun Hee knelt in front of her so that they were eye-level. They stared at each other for a moment in silence.

“... Happy Belated Birthday, Em,” Yun Hee said, handing her the paper she was drawing earlier.

It was a paper split into five coupons, stating Homework for One (1) Subject~! and was adorned with various Hello Kitty drawings and cute designs. “... I wasn’t sure what to get you that didn’t involve human trafficking Ren, so I thought I’d give you something you always needed. I can teach you on some assignments five times.”

Em burst out laughing.

Yun Hee frowned. “Is it that funny-?” A paper was suddenly shoved into her face. It was similar, but made on notebook paper and was split into six, each stating Beat the hell out of One Person~! and was adorned with various skulls and faces of people with ‘x’ marks for eyes. Yun Hee stared at it for a moment before laughing as well, joining in with her sister.

“So alike… yet completely opposite too,” Ren muttered when he noted what was on their gifts.

“Thanks,” Em said, pocketing her gift. “I’ll make sure to use it... especially later. You can use mine whenever - it’s one more than yours! Ha!”

“... I won’t need anyone to be beat up-”

“So you say now.”

“Don’t go turning her into someone violent like you,” Minhyun suddenly said appearing beside them.

“I’m not. That gift is so I can be violent for her... Why are you here? I only see your ugly face in second period,” Em said, glaring at him. Minhyun knelt down beside Yun Hee. Em faced them, recalling a few days ago at the party. JR had dealt with her, now... She groaned and rose up her hands in defeat. “Fine, okay! Don’t look so damn expectant, sheesh…” She paused, and then looked away. “Sorry for lashing out on you two during our birthday. I didn’t... Okay, I meant every word I said, but... I shouldn’t have said it. I was just really irritable because my servant wasn't there - so blame him!”

Aron buried his head in his arms. “Why is everyone mad at me?!”

Em glanced back at Yun Hee. “You’re a friendly kid... it’s who you are. There’s nothing wrong with me being a loner... and there’s also nothing wrong with you being a social butterfly. I shouldn’t have insulted that.”

“You’re forgiven…” Yun Hee suddenly smiled. “This... is really nice, huh?”

Em narrowed her eyes. “What?! Me lowering my pride and apologizing?!”

“No!” she quickly said. “I mean... making up after a fight... It’s like we’re siblings now,” Yun Hee said with a warm smile.

“The hell you talking about? Like? We are.”

Yun Hee smiled brightly again-

“Gah! Stop smiling! It’s too early in the morning for such a bright light!”

“You know…” Yun Hee looked back down at Em’s present to her… “I might have a use for one of these coupons…” She said suspiciously, looking behind her to Ren and Aron. The blonde looked surprised and pointed at himself with a worried look. She shook her head with a small laugh. “But I wouldn’t make you beat up your only friend, now would I?” She mumbled, pocketing her coupons.

“What was that?” Em asked, totally tuning her sister out just now.

“Nothing~!” Yun Hee sing songed while Em got up to head to her desk.

“Please tell me you’re still the innocent girl I know and love?” Minhyun asked with a worried look.

“No worries, I haven’t changed…” At least for everyone but Aron…

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

* ✄  END CHAPTER N I N E 

 

 Preview:  Chapter 10 

“Mom and dad arranged for me to pick up Em, while your... dad will come pick you up instead."
"But... why didn't they say anything this morning?"
"I don't know either..."

"Anyone in need of a companion until the evening?"

“Why am I like my father? Why is she like you?”

“... You can come here anytime,”
“I won’t,”