Chapter 11

×:█「⊰BITTERSWEET° ▬

 

:CHAPTER ⊹ E L E V E N ▫ 

     ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████
        sugar and spice . day and night . white and black . sweet and sour . present and absent . hot and cold . shy and bold . love and hate 
              ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯BITTER &SWEET⋯⋯

The doorbell rang, Minhyun walked over to answer it and was surprised to see Ren. It was still snowing pretty hard telling by the small amount on his shoulders and hair.

“What are you doing here?”

“Forgot my house key, my parents aren’t home yet. Can I hang out here until they get home?”

“Are you sure you forgot your house key, or are you here because you know Yun Hee is here?” Minhyun narrowed his eyes at the blonde.

“What? She’s still here?” Ren asked, trying to act surprised. It wasn’t really the truth but that would have been a plus if she was still there.

“Ahhh, Minhyun!” In came Yun Hee running over to them, she clung onto Minhyun’s arm tightly.  “There’s a big scary spider in your bathroom!”

Ren stared in shock, Yun Hee was wearing Minhyun’s clothes, An oversized shirt and … no pants.

“Where are the pants I gave you!?” Minhyun quickly blocked her from Ren. “This isn’t what it looks like! She had pants on all this time, I swear!” He looked at Ren worried when he saw the glare he was giving.

“I was so scared, I ditched them, I didn’t have time to pull them up and buckle it….” She stuttered, feeling embarrassed now when she caught glimpse of who was at the door.

“Uhm, sorry! Maybe JR will take you in lost traveler! Good luck!” Minhyun exclaimed shutting the door in Ren’s face, leaving him out in the cold.

“Yah!”


“Answer, answer, answer… Damn it, why aren’t you answering?!” Em exclaimed into her phone. She was outside of her home, snow still falling and freezing. Her keys were missing. She supposed that they had fallen from her pocket when Yun Hee crashed into her earlier.

It was dark outside. It was freezing. And she was locked out of her house. Em wanted to throw her phone at the wall in frustration, but that’d just make things worse.

Aron had a spare key to her house… but he wasn’t answering his darn phone. She sat in front of her door and leaned back, staring at the falling snow in front of her. There was a roof over her, but just seeing the snow made her feel a lot colder than usual.

She looked back down at her phone’s contacts, hoping to call someone. She needed to talk to someone right now - anyone! Her eyes landed on the name right below her friend’s.

Husband

She got his number when she stole his phone once. Ren always hung up on her within thirty seconds. (Her best record was 27 seconds, actually). She usually called him for nonsense matters, but the fact remained - he always answered. She hesitated in pressing the call button though.

What would she tell him? She had planned on telling Aron everything and force him to come by and give her the key, but for Ren… She cursed inwardly - that didn’t matter! She needed to hear a warm voice rather than the cold wind that was rushing by. She placed the phone to her ear, earning herself a few rings before he picked up.

“... Hello?”

“Ren!” she said, a small smile framing her face. She may not be able to tell him her troubles like with Aron, but his mere voice was enough to make her feel better! “What are you doing?”

He hesitated again. “Heading to JR’s.”

“So late? You aren’t going to be picking up girls with him at some club, are you?”

“Where did you get that idea?!”

“... So you will be-?”

“No!” She heard him sigh on the other line, but he didn’t hang up just yet. New record! she cheered in her mind. “Why did you call anyway?”

“I… I just wanted to hear your voice,” she practically whispered into the phone.

“... Em?... Are you alright?”

A bright smile lit her face. He was actually worried about her! “I’m fine-” A particular strong gust of cold wind passed. She shivered and hugged her coat tighter again. “Cold, but fine.” She couldn’t handle this, she needed to get inside. There was a store nearby that was bound to have a heater. “This is good enough for me… Bye!”

“Good enough…? Fine. I heard some pretty strong wind. Get inside someplace warm, will you? Bye,” then he hung up.

Em stood up and began heading to the nearby store… that huge smile of hers not leaving her face.


“Do you really have to go?” Minhyun whined as Yun Hee put her jackets back on at the front door.

“It’s getting late, I should really go, hopefully Ren didn’t get too far… he should come back here.” She smiled, zipping up her third jacket.

“Just get home safely, I don’t wanna hear an ambulance heading towards your house, you hear me?” Minhyun’s sister warned. she had really taken a liking to Yun Hee.

“Yes unnie, don’t worry. I’ll be careful.” Yun Hee smiled. It felt nice calling someone that, she just wished she could call Em that.

After Minhyun finally let go of her from their goodbye hug, Yun Hee took off. She wasn’t really going to go find Ren, but if she happened to run into him, she’d tell him to head back to Minhyun’s if he wanted to.

As she was heading on the path to her home, the snow fall became heavier, forcing her to take shelter in the nearest building which happened to be the convenience store Em had taken shelter in as well. She was surprised to see her twin there, she had thought she’d be running into her at home which now worried her… Did Em leave early? How long has she been here?

Em flipped through her third magazine. She was hidden from the cashier’s view, so freeloading was perfectly fine. Hearing footsteps, she looked up briefly and saw a mirror - her twin, actually. It reminded her of the family events that had happened just a while ago…

“... I don’t like your family,” she said offhandedly before looking back at her magazine.

“Uh oh… what happened?” Yun Hee frowned, she was hoping things would have went nicely and Em would be asking to go back again.

“Too nice,” she said with a scoff, not looking up at her sister. “They totally reminded me of you. I can’t handle too many nice people.” Their mother was a saint. Her husband, despite how Em was mean to him, was still kind to her. Even Leo, whom she argued with a lot, tried to comfort her in the end… She didn’t like it.

“I see. Maybe I should have gone with you in the end, huh?”

“What? Do you think I’m some little kid that can’t do things alone?” Em asked, irritated… because Yun Hee was right. If only she had the guts to have asked for her company earlier.

“No, of course not.” Yun Hee smiled. “You’re a big girl who can handle herself just fine… though sometimes it’s okay if you don’t want to face things alone, there are some things I wouldn’t want to face alone either…”

“I guess… I sure wouldn’t want to meet my dad alone if I were in your place… My dad…” Em turned to her sister. “Did you know about what happened?”

“About what?” Yun Hee looked at her confused.

Em wasn’t sure if her sister just really didn’t know or if she was just being incredibly slow. “About our family. Why dad and mom aren’t together? Why we aren’t together?”

“No, I never asked… I’m… kind of afraid to know the truth.” She turned to the stand of magazines. “I want to know, but then I don’t… I feel maybe I’m better off not knowing the truth…”

Em stared at her sister, wondering how far their differences went. The questions had always lingered in the back of her mind, asking them was like a wash of relief - despite her feelings towards the actual answer. “... It’s not much of a story anyway. You aren’t missing much,” she muttered in a soft voice.

“It already hurts to know we’ve been separated. We’re 17 now and missed so much of each other’s lives already. I grew up without a sister, I always wanted a sister… to know I did have a sister… but she was separated from me… just was enough to make my heart ache, knowing what could have been. And to top it all off, you got stuck with a terrible man. I already feel bad about it all… What ever that ‘not much of a story’ is, I’m sure it’ll just make the pain worse…”  She tried to give a smile to her sister. “So I’m okay without knowing what happened.”

Em let out a deep breath. She turned to her sister again. “Poor you. You already had a loving brother, yet you wanted a sister too?” She knew that wasn’t what Yun Hee meant, but it irritated her nevertheless. “And that… ‘terrible man’ is still my dad. Badmouthing him is perfectly fine, but don’t feel bad for me about that. He raised me, didn’t he? You think he did horrible at it?” She clenched tightly onto the magazine, wrinkling it a bit. “... What pain are you talking about? I’m the one…” she trailed off, looking back down.

“I’m sorry…” Yun Hee reached out and pulled her sister into a tight hug. What else could she say? There probably wasn’t anything she could say to make the situation better.

“Don’t hug me!” Em said in irritation… but made no move to remove Yun Hee from her embrace.

“I shouldn’t have made you face them alone… you were there with me when I met dad… I was stupid to just think you’d be okay… I’m really sorry, Eun Mi.”

Em bit her lip and leaned her forehead against her sister’s shoulder. “Yes, you should be sorry! You’re so stupid! Stupid, stupid…” She wrapped her arms around her sister’s back. “... why didn’t we meet sooner, Yun Hee?”

“I know, but you know, things would be a lot different if we had. So let’s not dwell in the past and just move onto the future.”

Yun Hee was about to retract her arms, but then Em suddenly hugged her tighter. “... Few more seconds…”

“Sure.” Yun Hee smiled, wrapping her arms around Em again, this was a first! If she got to hug her longer, she wasn’t going to hesitate to do so. I finally get to hug my sister...

Em finally let her go. She crossed her arms and looked away. “... Nothing happened, okay?”

“Right. I was just passing by and saw you, and decided to treat you to some ice cream during winter. Then we left the store to make snowmans?”

“Exactly!” Em frowned then when she realized Yun Hee’s last words though. “... Why not?” she glanced out at the snowfall that had gotten much lighter.

“Do you wanna build a snowman~?” Yun Hee suddenly sung with a grin. It was a few seconds before a smile grew on Em’s face.


“What is that supposed to be?”

“Can’t you tell?! It’s REN!”

“Oh… now I see it!” Yun Hee laughed at her sister’s… SnowRen. Perfectly sculpted and everything, why didn’t she see it sooner?

“You need glasses!” Em tossed a little snow her sister’s way.

“Sometimes I do think I need glasses… but I don’t think my sight is bad enough for them yet, so I just manage.” Yun Hee admitted while forming the head for her snowman that stood besides Em’s.

“Well don’t, I don’t need people struggling with telling us apart.” She frowned slightly, Yun Hee not noticing. It wouldn’t matter, Ren can already tell who is who…

“I think I’m finished, is there anything missing?” Yun Hee asked, taking a step back to see her work. She made a basic snowman.

“What are you making? A T-Rex? Those arms are so tiny! Find better ones!” Em laughed.

“Right.” Yun Hee agreed, wandering off to find some longer sticks to use. As she was picking some up, she noticed a house a little ways down the hill with it’s lights on.  It appeared to be someone’s room and by the looks of it, it was pretty familiar. How did I not realized this was Ren’s neighborhood? She thought to herself, thinking back on when they left the store. They had agreed to find a much larger space to build their snowmans. Did Em know they were close to Ren’s house?

Snapping back to reality when she felt a snowball hit her in the back, she noticed the blonde owner of the room at his window looking up at her.

“What are you doing just standing around like that? Hurry and finish your snowman, it’s getting too cold out here!” Em shouted over to her. Hesitating on whether to wave to the guy or not, she stumbled back and headed back over to Em and their snowmans, deciding it was best she didn’t otherwise Em would notice and ask questions, then their happy sister moments would be ruined yet again.

“Any better?” Yun Hee asked, before sneezing.

“Much better... “ Em nodded backing up to view both snowmans. “Mine’s obviously better than yours.” She boasted.

“I agree.”

“Don’t agree! You still have talent!” Em nudged her before she too sneezed. “Uh oh, I think we’ve been out in the snow a little longer than we should have. I guess it’s time to part ways…”

“It has gotten pretty late.” Yun Hee nodded, pulling out her phone to see several missed calls and texts from Leo. I’m sure he’ll understand. She thought to herself.

“Will you be okay getting home by yourself?” Em asked, which surprised her twin… it felt like they were getting closer somehow.

“I’ll be fine, I’m more worried about you, since you live farther… Should we take a cab?”

“But that’s a waste since you live so close.” Em pointed out.

“I’ll take you home… I don’t feel like letting you walk home alone, and especially in this cold weather. Let’s take a cab.” Yun Hee smiled, dialing a number for one.

“Fine.” Em agreed, secretly not wanting to be alone again. As they waited for the cab to come, Em went by Yun Hee’s side. She patted her on the head once. Aron always did it to her, and even she always denies it, it always made her feel better. Yun Hee looked up at her in surprise. “... Thanks... for this.”

“You don’t have to thank me… This is what sisters do!”

“Stop saying such embarrassing things so loudly!”


“You should be resting!” Yun Hee’s mother worried as she followed her sick daughter around the kitchen.

“Mom, I’m okay, I’m not that sick.” Yun Hee coughed while her mother raised a brow. “Seriously mom, let me be! I want to go see Eun Mi. Don’t stop me, okay?”

“What if you get her sick!?”

“I’m pretty sure she’s sick too…”

“How would you know?”

“Twins intuition I suppose, you wouldn’t understand.” Yun Hee smiled, obviously joking. At least her mother laughed. “I just want to go see if she’s okay, chances are, our father probably isn’t there taking care of her, so I feel like it’s my job to go and take care of her….”

“Why would you feel like that?” Her mother looked at her daughter confused. Yun Hee was quiet for a moment, avoiding her mother’s eyes.

“Well, it was kinda my idea to build snowmen together with her last night… so it’s my fault we got sick. Let me atone for my mistakes! I’m going to take care of my sister. I’ll call if I need anything, alright!” Yun Hee pulled the large bag of items over her shoulder. It was medicine and ingredients for soup, things to take care of Eun Mi.

All her mother could do was agree, if it was what her daughter really wanted, then she wasn’t going to stop her. She was quite happy Yun Hee was taking responsibility, meaning she did a good job raising her well. She also was glad to hear they built snowmen together, that meant they were bonding.

“Where are you going?” Leo asked, watching his sister haul over the heavy bag to the front door.

“To our sister’s place…”

“You’re sick, you’re not going anywhere.” He stood in front of her.

“Em’s sick too, and I have to take care of her, it’s my fault anyways.” She sighed. “If you heard how my real father is, chances are Em’s home alone sick in bed right now… so let me pass, or I’m telling mom!”

Leo laughed, “You don’t need to tell on me, fine you can go. Just be sure to call me if you need anything, seriously. Or I will hunt you down, you know me…” He gave her a stern look.

“Thanks bro, so can I ask a favor?”

“What is it?”

“... this is so heavy, take me over there, please?” She smiled weakly.


“I said I was fine, didn’t I?” Em said into her phone.

She knew Aron rolled her eyes, she knew. “When I came by yesterday to give your key, you sure didn’t look well! And you sound horrible right now!”

She suddenly sneezed.

“See?! I’m coming over!”

“Don’t! I’m perfectly fine-” He hung up on her. Em groaned and laid back down on her bed. She stared up at the ceiling in silence… a small smile then graced her face. She hated how stubborn he was and when he didn’t listen to her but…

The doorbell suddenly rung.

“It hasn’t even been a minute,” she muttered, standing up groggily. She slowly went towards the door, hugging herself with her large comforter, letting the end trail behind her. She opened the door with a glare. “You have a key don’t you-?...”

Em was met with Yun Hee’s bright smile.

She slammed the door closed.

Em rubbed her temples and sighed. “I must be seeing things…” The doorbell rung again. She groaned and opened it, glaring at her twin. “What the hell are you doing here?” She saw the car of her brother drive away once she spoke. “You look as sick as me!”

“I had to come, I knew you were probably sick, so I should take care of you since it’s my fault we got sick.” She turned away to cough into her collar quickly. “I already took some medicine earlier and my fever went down a little, so I’m okay. Don’t worry.” Sure she says this but her appearance said otherwise.

“A sick person taking care of a sick person, where is the logic?”

“Just let me inside already!” Yun Hee laughed.

Em rolled her eyes at her sister’s behavior, but stepped aside anyway to allow her to come in. She closed the door behind her and collapsed on the couch. “Stay here, you’ll get lost in my room,” she merely said.

“Alright, I’ll start making the soup.” Yun Hee dragged the bag across the floor with a struggle.

Em walked over and lifted it up without a problem. “You should be in a hospital…”

“I’m fine, really!” Yun Hee forced a smile. Em really wasn’t convinced, but she helped bring the bag into the kitchen anyway. From there, Yun Hee started preparing the soup. Once she had everything cooking, she pulled the cough syrup out of the bag on the counter and walked into the living room to give Em her medicine.

“Here, I should have given this to you when I first got here…” Yun Hee frowned, trying to open it.

“You’re so sick, your brain isn’t working…”

“I said I’m fine!” Yun Hee laughed, struggling to open the bottle’s cap.

“You’re such a weakling, let me do it!” Em snatched the bottle from her, not really wanting to see her poor sister struggling.

Em was about to open it… but it wasn’t complying for some reason. “Damn it…” she cursed under her breath when she realized she couldn’t get it open too. Was her sister’s weakness contagious?!

“Oh no..” Yun Hee frowned as they both stared down at the bottle in Em’s hand. The looked up to each other and mutually said out loud. “HELP!”

On cue, a gallant savior entered the room. Aron was by the entranceway, his hands on his hips and his long red scarf billowing from behind him. “Did someone say Aron?!”

“No! We said help, !” the two chorused in unison.

Aron deflated. “... Oh. My name isn’t help, bye.”

Em rolled her eyes and threw him the bottle. “Open it.” He caught it and pouted at the two girls, still saddened at their earlier reaction.

“Please open it, strong and mighty hero!” Yun Hee goaded with a grin.

“Anything for the two princesses!” he said, complying to their request.

“So simple minded…” Em muttered.

Yun Hee nodded in agreement. “That was surprisingly easy.”

Aron frowned at the two. “You two are sick, aren’t you?! Why do you have the strength to bully me?!”

“Because it’s you," Yun Hee said before coughing

Aron frowned suddenly when he saw Yun Hee cough, followed shortly by Em’s sneeze. “Why are you here, Yun Hee? You look as horrible as Em!”

“I’m taking care of my sister!”

“A sick person taking care of a sick person?!” he said, echoing the words of practically everyone that heard Yun Hee’s plan.

“I’m fine!” Yun Hee protested.

“Yeah, that’s what she said too,” he said, pointing at Em who blew into her nth tissue. “Lay down on the couch, Yun Hee, I’ll take over here,” he said when he saw the bag of stuff she had set on the table. “Em, go back to your maze.”

“I’m making soup, I can’t abandon it!” Yun Hee rushed into the kitchen finally remembering she was cooking. It was a close call, it was about to boil over.

She turned the heat off and then suddenly yelped when she felt her arm being grabbed by Aron. “Lay on the couch and rest, Yun Hee! I’ll take care of everything! Trust me-!”

“Don’t yell at me!”

Em suddenly slammed her hand down between them, removing Aron’s grasp from Yun Hee’s arm. Aron’s eyes went wide when he saw that. “Em…?”

She ignored him and instead turned to Yun Hee. “I’ll bring some pillows and a blanket for you,” she said, turning to Yun Hee. “Stay on the couch.”

“I’ll help you!” she said instead, following after her.

Aron sighed at their blatant disregard for his orders. He went back into the kitchen to continue the soup Yun Hee was cooking. After a few minutes, he opted to check back with Yun Hee in the living room-... “What are you doing?”

“Leave me alone, will ya?” Yun Hee sighed, before checking the thermometer, “Your fever isn’t going down.” She turned back to Em with a worried look.

Em slapped a hand over Yun Hee’s own forehead, almost knocking her back. “Yours isn’t either! Was that a lie back there when you said it went down!?”

“Shhhh, don’t stress about me.” Yun Hee smiled. “I’m fine.” She added with a small cough.

“Stubborn…” Both Aron and Em muttered. Aron took hold of his phone and quickly dialed the number of his friend that lived the closest.

“I need my sidekick with me,” he said in greeting when his friend picked up.

“What nonsense are you spouting out now?”


“Are you okay?” Ren asked as Yun Hee recovered from a coughing fit.

“I’m fine, jeez. How many times do I have to say it?” She sighed, taking a sip of water.

“She’s been saying that since I got here.” Aron butted in.

“Someone is in denial.” Ren mumbled. He could tell she wasn’t fine at all, judging by her moody attitude.

“Look, it’s my fault Em is sick, I’m just taking responsibility by taking care of her.”

“You can’t take care of an equally sick person… Em?” Aron asked when they turned to her.

She was grinning at them. “Ren’s in my house,” she merely said. “Thank you, fever!”  Her head was aching too much and in too much of a mess to try and process what they were saying - but her eyes could clearly see her happiness seated a few feet away from her!

“Can to, and that’s what I’ve been doing!” Yun Hee exclaimed.

“No you haven’t, I’ve taken over, remember?” Aron shook his head.

“Said who!? All you did was take over the soup, don’t get all whatever … whatever on me.” By now they could see how sick she must really be, unable to think of proper words to say.

“Yun Hee, you’re seriously sick, you can't even speak properly... just let us take care of you already.”

“I said I was fine! Let me take care of my sister!” 

Em winced at the loud voice.

“No you can’t!”

Em's eye twitched in irritation as their volume escalated.

 

“Don’t you argue with me-” Suddenly another coughing fit took place.

Shut up!” Em suddenly said, glaring at the three. “All of you at taking care of people. Shouting so loudly and being so…” she winced again at the ache in her head. She glared at Yun Hee. “Get over you damn pride and rest. Treat me to lunch or something if you want to take responsibility.”

“I just wanted to take care of my sister, is that so much to ask?”

Yes, it’s wrong if you’re sick too. How will I get better if you’re just going to give the virus back to me?! And I don’t want you to take care of me if Ren’s here and can do it himself!”

Ren stared warily at her. Aron frowned at Yun Hee. “She’s right, there’s no use in letting you take care of her if you’re just going to give it back to her again since you’re not resting!”

Yun Hee just looked at the three before looking down. All she wanted to do was help, but instead she was getting scolded by Aron and told by Em that she didn’t want to be taken care of… since the blonde was among them. I just wanted to help...

“Ugh! Don’t look so depressed, damn it!” Em went over to her and glared at her. “Get better as quickly as possible already! So that you can finally take proper care of me, got that?!... Too much shouting...” she muttered, wincing at the loud sound in her own head.

“But you said so yourself you didn’t want me taking care of you since Ren is here.... You do it then,” She turned to the blonde, “since I’m not wanted here.” She coughed before turning around to leave the room

“Of course you can’t take care of me now!” Em said in exasperation. “Look at you!”

“It’s all your fault, man,” Aron said, placing a hand on Ren’s shoulder.

“You’re the one that called me here!” Ren retaliated. He quickly took hold of Yun Hee’s hand to keep her from leaving. “It was snowing hard when I came in… Don’t go.”

“Leave me alone, I said I was fine…” She mumbled weakly.

“Stop, stop saying that. You’re not fine, Yun Hee.” Ren turned her around making her look him in the eye. “If you keep this up, you’re gonna-”

Down went Yun Hee, luckily Ren was there to catch her when she fainted.

“Call an ambulance!” Aron shrieked.

“Calm down, she only fainted! I caught her!” Ren kicked him with his foot.

Em sighed when she saw Yun Hee unconscious in Ren’s arms. “Stupid girl… Taking care of me? She can’t even take care of herself…!”

“Em!” Ren said, narrowing his eyes at her.

Em coughed and placed a hand on her aching head again. “She’s making life harder for me. I could’ve been sleeping in bed right now… but noooo. She comes in like an idiot trying to care for me, then she wants to leave all depressed because she couldn’t fulfill her ‘responsibility’ for self-fulfillment and easing her own guilt-”

“Em!”

“Shut up!” she said, wincing again at her own loud voice. She pointed at the couch. “I brought the pillows and blankets. Lay her there. Take care of the idiot. I’m going to my room,” she said leaving the three behind.

Aron sighed at her outburst. “... I’ll take care of Em. Can you handle Yun Hee?”

“Well she’s unconscious, what’s there to handle.” He shrugged after placing the girl on the couch.

“When she wakes up! I’m not sure how long it’ll take for me to tame the lion and leave the jungle of Em’s room.”

“Good luck with that. Hope you make it out alive.”


“Let’s make babies.”

“Get out of my room. I’m not in the mood for your stupid humor.”

“So you admit that I’m humorous!”

“Did you not hear the stupid as well?”

Aron laughed and sat on the edge of her bed, looking at the form of his friend that was covered with blankets. “...Your bad side showed again,” he chided softly.

“I know,” he heard her mutter. “My head really hurts… so I just snapped and shouted…” She lowered her covers a bit, so he could see the top of her face. “... You… Despite being a total idiot, Yun Hee isn’t that bad… and I love how Ren is here… but…”

Aron waited for her to continue, a smile already forming as he clearly knew what she was about to say.

“... I would’ve preferred if it was just you that’s here… So much easier…”

“Easier, yes… but it’s a nice feeling, right? Knowing that there are more people that care about you?” he said. She only hummed in reply and closed her eyes. Aron placed a hand on her forehead, frowning at how hot she felt.

He suddenly stood up and went for the door. Em’s eyes opened again when she felt the pressure leave her bed. She turned to her friend’s back slowly…

“Wait…” she whispered.

But Aron didn’t hear and just left the room, closing the door behind him.

“I’m sorry, Eun Mi, but I have work in a few minutes… Everything is here on the table. Don’t forget to take your medicine. I’ll go now...” She saw the back of her father by the door. She was too weak to say anything to get him to stay. He gave her one last wave before closing the door behind him. Don’t go. Don’t leave me alone. Why are you always leaving me?

Em stared at the shut door of her room… She curled into a ball and shut her eyes, trying to get rid of that memory. She hardly got sick. She hated getting sick. It always hurt and made her feel so weak. It was when she always wanted someone by her side, it made her feel so dependant on other people - but there was never anyone for her to rely on.

She hated getting sick because it made her realize how alone she actually was-

The door suddenly opened again.

-... no, she wasn’t alone anymore.

Aron came in with a large bowl of cold water and towel. Em shifted her gaze slowly to him, frowning when he suddenly put down the materials in haste and kneel by her bed.

He her hair. “It’s fine…” he muttered.

She was too tired to remove his hand. “What?”

“You looked really… sad.”

Her eyes widened slightly. “What? No, I wasn’t.”

“I saw it clearly on your face!”

“I know what I feel! Don’t think you can read me so easily!” she exclaimed before going into a coughing fit.

Aron just sighed and placed the cold towel over her forehead. “Easy now.”

Em sighed in relief at the cold feeling. “You started it.”

“I was just being… observant,” he said, sitting again by the edge of her bed. “Nothing wrong with me being nice to you when I see you look so sad-”

“I said I wasn’t sad! I don’t need your comfort when I’m not down! I’m perfectly fine!” she retorted… it wasn’t as convincing though when she suddenly sneezed afterwards.

He knew she was clearly lying. She needed his company right now… But then an idea suddenly came to mind… She was going to kill him afterwards, but…

“Is that so?” He suddenly stood up. “I think I’ve taken care of you fine. I’ll go to Yun Hee now, she needs my company.”

Em’s eyes widened. “Wh-What?”

“Well, she looked really sad and in need of help… so I’ll help her. You’re clearly fine, aren’t you?” He took a step towards the door.

“No, d-don’t go yet…” she muttered quietly.

He was closer to the door now.

“I-I need you here right now…”

He placed a hand on the doorknob.

“Don’t leave me...”

He turned his head to look at her.

Em was sitting up and facing him, the towel on her forehead discarded. Her eyes were watery and her face was flushed from her fever. Her lips were placed into a pout and she looked so sad and so very, very close to crying.

“Aron!” she pleaded weakly.

In a heartbeat, Aron was in front of her again, hugging her. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” he whispered in her ear, her hair.

He heard her sniff. “I’m going to kill you when I’m better,” she threatened.

Aron chuckled and hugged her tighter. He didn’t want to admit it, but that sad face and needy voice of hers was something he really wanted to see… He clearly knew just how much Em relied on him… but it didn’t hurt to have a physical assurance every now and then.

He let go of her and smiled, despite the glare he was receiving. “Lay back down,” he ordered.

She didn’t want to obey, but her body gave way anyway. She laid her head back on the pillow, looking up at her ceiling again. He soaked the towel in cold water again before applying it to her forehead.

This time, he sat on the floor, leaning on the bedside that was close to Em. He turned his head to the side when he saw a small hand reach out of the covers and search around for something in the air.

Aron smiled and held onto her hand.

“You might leave again,” she muttered in explanation, gripping weakly onto his hand.

“I won’t leave until you sleep, promise!” he reassured her.

“You’re spoiling me too much…” Em whispered, smiling softly.

Aron laughed and interlaced his fingers with hers.

“You’re worth it.”


Yun Hee’s eyes fluttered open as she was met with a gorgeous face. Ren was seated next to the couch on the floor, watching over her. Usually she’d smile showing she was happy to see him, but she only scrunched up her face before turning her head the other way.

“Don’t look at me like that! That’s what I get for taking care of you?” He complained.

“I never asked you to take care of me.” She muttered.

“I thought it was obvious when you fainted in my arms…”

“I didn’t faint, I just fell asleep suddenly standing up... “

“What?” Ren laughed.

“All that fighting tired me out, that was all…”

“You’re being so stubborn, you know that?”

“Eugh, just leave me alone.” She sighed, turning her whole body away from him. Why am I talking to Ren like that… I’m being so mean. She frowned, knowing he wouldn’t be able to see it.

“No, I won’t leave you alone. You’re sick, and I’m going to take care of you.” He looked for the cough syrup, it was about time she took another dose. Let me take care of you...  so I can see the happy smiling Yun Hee again…

“I’m fine.”

“If you’re fine, then look me in the eyes and say it…” He sounded a bit angry when he said that which scared her. She didn’t mean to upset him.

“No…”

“Yun Hee.”

“Don’t be mad at me… I get it okay… I just screwed up really bad.” Her voice shook as tears started up. “I thought I was fine when I left my house… I guess I was wrong. I just wanted to make sure Eun Mi was okay, I knew our father wouldn’t be here to take care of her, so I took it upon myself to take care of her instead. It’s my fault after all since I suggested we make snowmen so late at night…”

“Is that what you were doing when I saw you outside my window?”

“Yes, we were bonding…”

It was silent besides a few coughs and sneezes from Yun Hee, followed by sniffling from crying. To be honest she felt terrible the entire time, but she it up and pulled through to take care of Em, cause who would if she didn’t? That was until Aron came to the rescue and got Ren involved too. She wondered to herself why didn’t she just let them help her from the start. Why’d she have to keep protesting, prolonging her rest she seriously needed…

“Growing up, I would get sick easily. That meant I missed a lot of school. It affected my grades and social life…. If I didn’t say I was fine to my parents, I’d be stuck at home all the time. It’s become a bad habit to say I’m fine when I’m not…” She began to explain. “I’m sorry I kept saying I was fine, I knew I wasn’t, yet I kept saying I was. I just didn’t want to admit it, having some stupid fear I’d be trapped at home again.”

“Don’t you think in this case, when you’re coughing your lungs out and fainting... that maybe you aren’t fine?”

“I get it, okay, I’m not fine. I’m saying it now, I’m not fine! What more do you want from me?” She turned to him.

“I want you to get better… because when you’re sick like this, you’re not the same person anymore…” He said, a hint of sadness laced in his voice.

“What?” she looked at him, his eyes told her something.

“I want to see the happy, laughing, smiling brighter than the sun, Yun Hee… not the moody, sickly, depressing Yun Hee… get better, please.” He reached over, wiping away a lone tear that fell from her eye.

“Okay, I’ll get better.” A small smile forming on her pale lips. “I’m sorry for being mean to you, will you forgive me and help me get better?”

“You were mean to me? I hardly even noticed.” He joked obviously comparing her behavior to Em’s.  “I’ll take care of you, don’t worry.” He held up the bottle of cough syrup. She made a face when he opened it. “What?”

“That’s cherry flavor, isn’t it?” She held the blanket over .

“Are you gonna tell me one of your food poisoning stories again?” He laughed.

“No, I just don’t like cherries…” She shook her head.

“Oh…” He looked down at the bottle. “Then what do you suppose we do?”

“I think I’m feeling much better now, actually.” She coughed harshly, blowing her cover.

“You will drink this even if I have to pass it through a kiss." He joked.

“Then you’d get sick, idiot!” She closed her eyes embarrassed.

“It’s a risk I’m willing to take.” He laughed.

“Don’t joke like that, it’s not funny.” She pouted.

“You’re so cute.” He smiled.

“You’re starting to sound like Minhyun!” She looked at him with wide eyes. “Are you Minhyun in disguise!?”

“That is an insult.” He frowned, but that didn’t last long until he heard her giggling, his frown then turned into a smile, relieved she seemed well enough to be laughing.

“Aw, now I wish he was here.” She mumbled before sneezing.

“No, we’re fine without him,” His smile faded as he opened the medicine and poured out the dose. “Here,”  he held it over to her.

She didn’t know if she was seeing it or not, but it seemed like when Minhyun was mentioned, he became jealous. Am I just imagining things?

“Not going to take it?” He asked, raising a brow. He then brought the little cup to his lips, teasing her that he was about to transfer it to her by mouth.

“Give it to me.” She blushed, holding out her hand.  “Worst caretaker ever, sheesh.” She shook her head before downing it like a shot in the bar. “Eugh!” Her face scrunched up once again. “Terrible!” She complained.

“Here, drink some water.” He handed her the cup sitting on the table. She downed it like there was no tomorrow, or more like a fish out of water, actually. “Wow, I’ll get you some more.” He took the cup back surprised.

“Thank you.” She breathed. He got up and headed to the kitchen to get her some more water.  I wonder how Em is doing…? She thought to herself, looking towards the hallway where Em’s room was. She looked up at the ceiling, feeling a wave of weakness wash over her again. She closed her eyes… “Mom… I don’t feel good….” She whimpered just as Ren entered the room again.

He rushed to her side quickly. “Yun Hee?”

“I don’t want to be sick, Ren…” She covered her eyes with the back of her hand. “I hate it, make it go away.” She sounded scared while saying this. Why was she scared?

“It’s okay. I’m here. Just rest.” He reached out, gently her hair. He placed his other hand on her forehead and frowned, she was burning up. I need to get her fever down… He looked around before spotting the bag of supplies on the table. He looked through it quickly and found a couple of cooling pads.  He would have went in search for a bowl and rag and do it the old fashion way, but he honestly didn’t want to leave her alone when she was like this.

Once he applied the cooling pad to her forehead, she seemed to calm down a little, her stressed expression softening to a more relaxed one. Soon, she fell asleep. He sat there, watching over her like he had earlier, before he heard Yun Hee’s phone ringing in her jacket pocket near the door. He got up to silence it so it wouldn’t wake her, but accidently answered it. Shoot. He looked at the screen to see ‘Leo’ displayed. Knowing it was her brother he answered assuming he was worried about not getting a hold of her earlier or something like that.

“Hello?” He asked quietly.

You’re not Yun Hee…

“She’s sleeping right now… I accidently answered her phone trying to silence it.”

Who is this?

“It’s Ren.”

Oh… it’s you. What are you doing over there?” Leo asked sounding worried now.

“My friend Aron called me over to help take care of the twins.”

So she wasn’t fine after all. How is she doing? Did she get any worse?

“I just gave her some medicine, and applied a cooling pad to her forehead just now…”

Be sure to let me know if she improves or not. My mom’s kind of worried right now about her…

“I will, I promise. It’s just a cold right?”

...

“Uhm?”

It should be a cold, but my mother is scared it might be something more.

“What are you talking about?” Ren felt a wave of panic wash over him.

I’m sure Yun Hee has told you she gets sick easily, yes?

“She did.”

She also had the tendency to get worse pretty fast too. Sometime around  last year like now, she caught a cold, which progressed quickly into pneumonia. It happened so fast it was quite scary… she almost died.”

“What!?” Ren was shocked, yet he managed not to shout. This only proved how really fragile she was. It almost hurt to hear that. Should she really be here in Em’s house right now? Shouldn’t she be in the hospital!?

I know, we’re all worried. She really wanted to see Em, so we let her, not even realizing what happened last year could easily happen again.

“What should I do? Should I be taking her to the hospital right now?” Leo could clearly hear the panic in Ren’s voice.

Calm down, as long as you’re taking care of her right now, I’m sure she should be fine. Last year my parents were so busy with work while I was busy with school, no one was home to take care of her. We thought she’d be fine but she was a lot sicker than we thought… that’s how it progressed so quickly last time, she couldn’t take care of herself.

“I’ll do my best to make sure she gets better.” Ren promised her brother. She’s not dying on my watch… what a stupid thing to think, Ren.

Thank you. Call me back in an hour with an update, alright?

“Sure,” He agreed before hanging up and returning to Yun Hee’s side. With this discovery, he was determined to nurse her back to health now.

After a good 45 minutes, Ren checked on her progress and was happy to know her fever had gone down a fair amount. She wasn’t coughing as much anymore, color was slowly coming back to her face…. she was getting better.

“I have the magic touch, don’t I?” He mumbled out loud while her hair again.

“You’re… silly.” Yun Hee’s voice followed after his. He saw her eyes flutter open.

“You’re waking up too soon.” He pouted, slightly embarrassed she heard that.

“Whatever you did,... I’m feeling a little better.” She closed her eyes again, still tired.

“That’s good to hear, I was so worried.”

“Don’t be… I’m fine.” She smiled, opening one eye to see his reaction.

He just shook his head with a light laughter before asking, “Are you sure?” She could hear the worry in his voice.

“Yes, I mean it… I’m fine.” She slowly nodded closing her eyes once again. “Because you’re here…” She had intended to keep that last sentence as a thought, but ended up saying it aloud. She was too tired to notice she had said it though.

Ren couldn’t stop the smile from growing on his face. Those words honestly made his heart flutter a bit. He was happy. I think I really like her… He thought, gently taking her hand into his as she slowly drifted off to sleep again. Why else would my heart beat so fast when she said that…? Oh Lady Gaga, could this be love? He felt a blush coming onto his cheeks just thinking about it.

I am so fab, check out, I’m blonde… I’m  skinny… I’m rich-” Ren’s phone was going off in his back pocket. He fumbled to silence it quickly so it wouldn’t wake Yun Hee but it was too late.

“You didn’t change it…” She quietly laughed.

“Just go back to sleep!” He sighed.


“So… can I finally pass by and get my soup that’s bound to taste as cold as the weather outside?”

Ren’s eyes widened as he looked up to find Aron grinning at him. He suddenly clasped his hands together and pursed his lips, “I’m fine because you’re here!” he said in a high-pitched tone. He pointed at Ren. “Cue girly blush!”

Ren quickly stood up and dragged Aron into the kitchen. “Idiot, don’t be so loud,” he said. Aron just laughed and began putting the forgotten food into a tupperware. “What took you so long?” He had just went through a heart-stopping revelation about Yun Hee’s condition, yet this guy was acting so carefree…!

“Em couldn’t sleep for some reason. So I had to tell her a bedtime story… which involved that time in the guy’s locker room when you-”

“Mention that again and I will kill you,” Ren said in a threateningly low voice.

“Enough about me though!...” Aron gestured towards the doorway to the living room. “What was that?”

“What was what?”

“That whole girly blush on your face, complete with love-stricken gaze?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Ren cleared his throat.

“Riiiight,” Aron drawled out, obviously not believing his friend. “Anyway, go ahead and deny it… What was that other thing though?”

“What other-?”

“That ringtone of yours sure-”

“Shut up or you’ll get knocked out like those two.”

“Okay, okay, so violent… how’s Yun Hee’s condition?”

“She’s doing better, what about Em?”

“Same. I hate it when my friends get sick, but seeing Em’s side when she’s feverish was quite… something!”

“For her.” Ren rolled his eyes, recalling Yun Hee’s earlier behavior.  I don’t ever want Yun Hee getting sick again…

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

* ✄  END CHAPTER E L E V E N